• Compiling Mystic

From Digital Avatar@21:1/111 to All on Sat Oct 19 20:50:30 2019
    To: G00r00 (or anyone who's ever compiled the Mystic sources)...

Has anyone actually tried compiling the sources for Mystic when it was originally GPL'd? It seems like the forks of the sourceforge database are missing some files, since m_socket_class.pas and m_io_sockets.pas both reference a unit cNetDB that appears to be missing. Likewise, PHostEnt is
    never defined. I can only assume this identifier is defined in the cNetDB
    unit. For reference, I'm compiling for Linux, hence why it's using these
    socket i/o routines.

I noticed there are at least a couple forks floating about, but all of them appear to be Windows-based, hence I don't think any of them ever noticed the missing unit.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From Oli@21:1/151 to Digital Avatar on Sat Oct 19 22:28:14 2019
    Has anyone actually tried compiling the sources for Mystic when it was originally GPL'd? It seems like the forks of the sourceforge database
    are missing some files, since m_socket_class.pas and m_io_sockets.pas
    both reference a unit cNetDB that appears to be missing.

I haven't tried to compile it, but in Debian / Ubuntu it's in the package fp-units-fcl

* Origin: 🌈 (21:1/151)
  • From Digital Avatar@21:1/111 to Oli on Sun Oct 20 06:11:42 2019
    On 19 Oct 2019, Oli said the following...

Has anyone actually tried compiling the sources for Mystic when it wa originally GPL'd? It seems like the forks of the sourceforge database are missing some files, since m_socket_class.pas and m_io_sockets.pas both reference a unit cNetDB that appears to be missing.

I haven't tried to compile it, but in Debian / Ubuntu it's in the package fp-units-fcl

Would've been nice if these had been mentioned as dependencies in the build instructions (since fp-units-fcl isn't a dependency of the compiler itself so it won't install automatically if you install the package in debian), but oh well, at least I've got the answer I need. Thanks.

• From g00r00@21:1/120 to Digital Avatar on Fri Oct 25 21:53:46 2019
    Has anyone actually tried compiling the sources for Mystic when it was originally GPL'd? It seems like the forks of the sourceforge database are missing some files, since m_socket_class.pas and m_io_sockets.pas both reference a unit cNetDB that appears to be missing. Likewise, PHostEnt is

Yeah the code that someone put up isn't the Mystic original code, which compiled fine and even had scripts to automate it. Unfortunately due to the toxic nonsense that was going on at SourceForge (repeated reports of GPL violations and severe harassment of people and spamming) I had the original site deleted. Lots of people (I'd even go as far as saying MOST people?) were doing their own daily builds back when it was open sourced.

Part of the sloppiness of what is out there is part of the reason I stopped with the open source. People were making a mess of it, not trying to work
    with me or respecting any order or processes to help out with the project.

Some people just stole the code, and did whatever they were gonna do with it without even having the skillset to do so (see things like Guardian BBS I think it was <?> which just slapped their name on the BBS and changed the name of
    the software).

I have considered lately going open-sourced again, but I am undecided at the moment.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From g00r00@21:1/120 to Digital Avatar on Fri Oct 25 21:58:38 2019
    Would've been nice if these had been mentioned as dependencies in the build instructions (since fp-units-fcl isn't a dependency of the
    compiler itself so it won't install automatically if you install the package in debian), but oh well, at least I've got the answer I need.

If you don't install the system units, there isn't much the compiler can do. It should be installing those by default. I think what the issue is, is that sometimes the paths are not setup properly with Free Pascal.

The build scripts addressed this stuff at the time I think.

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | cyberiabbs.zapto.org | San Jose, CA (21:1/120)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to g00r00 on Sat Oct 26 07:42:02 2019
    On 25 Oct 2019, g00r00 said the following...

I have considered lately going open-sourced again, but I am undecided at the moment.

Why not setup your own CVS or GIT repo and only give it out to the actual BBS community that follows your software, rather than throwing it up on
    Sourceforge or Github or what-have-you for anyone that has no clue what a BBS is. That way at least you can try to avoid the people that just want to steal it and/or not work with you, etc.

* Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From Digital Avatar@21:1/111 to g00r00 on Sun Oct 27 05:30:20 2019

Yeah the code that someone put up isn't the Mystic original code, which compiled fine and even had scripts to automate it. Unfortunately due to

Well, in this case I'm thinking it's my distro in question fuxoring their copy of freepascal that's half the problem.

the toxic nonsense that was going on at SourceForge (repeated reports of GPL violations and severe harassment of people and spamming) I had the

Spamming's par for the course on ScamForge, but reporting GPL violations? Ghey.

Some people just stole the code, and did whatever they were gonna do
    with it without even having the skillset to do so (see things like Guardian BBS I think it was <?> which just slapped their name on the BBS and changed the name of the software).

Yeah, I saw that one. Guy did literally NOTHING with it. Pretty much the Forum hack attitude par excellence.

If you did, maybe just post the sources and then handle all patching and bug reports via a network of your choice? Makes more sense than going through ScamForge, Shithub, and the like -- at least in the sense that you'd have friendly sysops willing to banhammer anyone who gets out of hand, anyway.

• From Digital Avatar@21:1/111 to g00r00 on Sun Oct 27 05:32:20 2019

Would've been nice if these had been mentioned as dependencies in the build instructions (since fp-units-fcl isn't a dependency of the compiler itself so it won't install automatically if you install the package in debian), but oh well, at least I've got the answer I need.

If you don't install the system units, there isn't much the compiler can do. It should be installing those by default. I think what the issue

Yeah, Devuan (the distro I'm using, which is a Debian fork) doesn't install
    the system units by default. I had to install those manually. That was cockup number one.

is, is that sometimes the paths are not setup properly with Free Pascal.

And that was my guess for cockup number two, since after installing the system units I was still getting errors that lead me to think paths aren't configured correctly somehow... but I didn't get any further on it since I didn't have
    any time this weekend to work on it.

The build scripts addressed this stuff at the time I think.

*shrug*