• Troubleshooting help with SSH

From XanRevent@21:1/101 to All on Thu Mar 7 14:07:04 2019
    I feel like I'm the SSH problem child. Is there any chance somebody would be willing to arrange a time to help me figure out why I'm getting weird
    problems? I can go into detail here, but I don't know if I'll make sense, and
    I think it would be easier if I let somebody see what is happening.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From XanRevent@21:1/101 to All on Thu Mar 7 15:19:16 2019
    I did a bit of experimentation with yet another fresh install and determined that it seems to be having fits because I'm trying to refer it to a Matrix login via ssh. Has anybody done this successfully, and if so, what did you change? When I do it, MIS says that the password payload failed, but if you
    try 1-9 more times it has no such problems.

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to XanRevent on Wed Mar 6 21:22:08 2019
    I did a bit of experimentation with yet another fresh install and determined that it seems to be having fits because I'm trying to refer
    it to a Matrix login via ssh. Has anybody done this successfully, and if so, what did you change? When I do it, MIS says that the password
    payload failed, but if you try 1-9 more times it has no such problems.

My BBS uses a matrix login and I use SSH 100% of the time to log in I haven't seen that message. Again, what client are you using?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Skuz@21:1/105 to XanRevent on Thu Mar 7 13:08:48 2019
    On 07 Mar 2019, XanRevent said the following...

I did a bit of experimentation with yet another fresh install and determined that it seems to be having fits because I'm trying to refer
    it to a Matrix login via ssh. Has anybody done this successfully, and if so, what did you change? When I do it, MIS says that the password
    payload failed, but if you try 1-9 more times it has no such problems.

Just noticed here while using SSH with netrunner beta19 that my Matrix
    doesn't even load/display. Board acts like it just skip the matrix logon completely. Works fine with telnet though. The strange thing, is it still
    logs me in anyway with s255 access. Had to disable the SSH server until I can figure out what is causing the problem. Also need to upgrade the netrunner version to see if it is still happening.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: flupH | fluph.araknet.xyz (21:1/105)
  • From Halcy0n@21:1/172 to Skuz on Thu Mar 7 21:19:10 2019
    On 07 Mar 2019, Skuz said the following...

Just noticed here while using SSH with netrunner beta19 that my Matrix doesn't even load/display. Board acts like it just skip the matrix logon completely. Works fine with telnet though. The strange thing, is it still logs me in anyway with s255 access. Had to disable the SSH server until

Isn't that... what's supposed to happen? As far as I was aware, when you do
    an SSH login its effectively logging you in, so it will skip to the first screen you would normally come to after you successfully enter your username/password for a normal telnet login.

Unless I'm mistaken, your matrix login happens before you would enter your username/password, doesn't it? Then it would be working correctly if after a successful SSH login it goes to the screen after that. I might be misunderstanding which matrix menu you're referring to, though.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A42 2019/02/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Skuz on Fri Mar 8 02:20:26 2019
    Just noticed here while using SSH with netrunner beta19 that my Matrix doesn't even load/display. Board acts like it just skip the matrix logon completely. Works fine with telnet though. The strange thing, is it still logs me in anyway with s255 access. Had to disable the SSH server until
    I can figure out what is causing the problem. Also need to upgrade the netrunner version to see if it is still happening.

SSH has a user name and password associated to it (like RLOGIN) so it automatically logs you in. It is doing what its supposed to do. If you
    don't want it to work that way just enter a bogus password in NetRunner's password prompt and that should get to you to a login prompt.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Skuz@21:1/105 to Halcy0n on Fri Mar 8 13:10:50 2019
    On 07 Mar 2019, Halcy0n said the following...

Isn't that... what's supposed to happen? As far as I was aware, when you do an SSH login its effectively logging you in, so it will skip to the first screen you would normally come to after you successfully enter your username/password for a normal telnet login.

Your correct, after checking this SSH using putty the logon works the same
    way. So, I'd say it was working as expected. I just did realize it since so
    few callers have used it over here.

Unless I'm mistaken, your matrix login happens before you would enter
    your username/password, doesn't it? Then it would be working correctly
    if after a successful SSH login it goes to the screen after that. I
    might be misunderstanding which matrix menu you're referring to, though.

Yes, never really thought things through with the SSH stuff. (:

• From Skuz@21:1/105 to g00r00 on Fri Mar 8 13:18:54 2019
    On 08 Mar 2019, g00r00 said the following...

SSH has a user name and password associated to it (like RLOGIN) so it automatically logs you in. It is doing what its supposed to do. If you don't want it to work that way just enter a bogus password in NetRunner's password prompt and that should get to you to a login prompt.

IC I did try changes the password after I posted message then realized it was working correctly. Thanks for the great tech support ;)

• From XanRevent@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Sat Mar 9 18:11:42 2019
    I managed to get it to work with syncterm compiled on my ubuntu machine
    today, but I was struggling with it on Mac OS yesterday. I tweaked with a few things and forced both computers to clear their ssh keys and it worked.

With SyncTerm it seems to reliably serve the system password and the matrix login. From an ubuntu server or terminal emulator running as an SSH command I was able to get it to work fine if I disabled the matrix login. The nice
    thing about getting it to work without the Matrix login is that it allowed a faster login with the user@bbs command flawlessly. More troubleshooting tonight.