• Zmodem over ssh

From XanRevent@21:1/101 to All on Sun Mar 3 10:15:14 2019
    Hey all,

So, a lot of learning and a lot of research later, I finally have my Mystic server running on Ubuntu. There's a few things that have hiccups here and
    there (like cryptlib will not pass libtest due to missing cryptographic methods?) My server is set to only accept ssh traffic and the users I've got incoming will be using either a linux terminal or PuTTY.

I'm trying to figure out how to allow my users upload files. As a warning, I have exactly 0 experience with any of the x/y/zmodem protocols. What I think I've determined is that my users will have to rely on zssh? I could be totally off base. I've tried opening another terminal window from ubuntu desktop and running " sz filename " while the server was awaiting a file.

Can anybody help a total and complete newbie navigate uploads via ssh to mystic?

-Alexander

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/28 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From XanRevent@21:1/101 to XanRevent on Sun Mar 3 10:56:04 2019
    So, I found a solution by reading further into the documentation of zssh.

In case any other newbies struggle with this for a few hours, zmodem ssh can
    be done by installing zssh through apt and then logging in to the target bbs.

Following that, when you get to the desired filebase and tell it to upload through zmodem (where it will await the file), press ctrl+space. It will open
    a separate tty session through the same connection and allow you to navigate
    to and specify the file to send (the basic command for one file is sz filename.* ). It will upload. Once it seems complete, hit enter twice and it will exit out of the session and return you to the bbs.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/28 (Windows/32)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to XanRevent on Sat Mar 2 19:58:10 2019
    cryptographic methods?) My server is set to only accept ssh traffic and the users I've got incoming will be using either a linux terminal or PuTTY.

Well those are clients that are not designed to work on a BBS so I don't have a good answer for you as far as what supports Zmodem, if anything. There might be a forked version o PUTTY that supports Zmodem? I've never heard of zssh so I am sorry I don't have much to suggest here.

If you use SyncTerm or NetRunner you shouldn't have a problem with files via SSH. I just recently uploaded about a gig of files to my BBS via a giant batch Zmodem transfer over SSH using NetRunner with no issues.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/27 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to XanRevent on Sun Mar 3 18:25:00 2019
    On 03-03-19 10:15, XanRevent wrote to All <=-

Hey all,

So, a lot of learning and a lot of research later, I finally have my Mystic server running on Ubuntu. There's a few things that have hiccups here and there (like cryptlib will not pass libtest due to missing cryptographic methods?) My server is set to only accept ssh traffic and the users I've got incoming will be using either a linux terminal or PuTTY.

Why not SyncTerm? That compiles well under Linux, and suppoers SSH, with all protocols.

... And then there was the guy who stuffed Corn Flakes in the serial port.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to g00r00 on Sun Mar 3 18:28:00 2019
    On 03-02-19 19:58, g00r00 wrote to XanRevent <=-

If you use SyncTerm or NetRunner you shouldn't have a problem with
    files via SSH. I just recently uploaded about a gig of files to my BBS via a giant batch Zmodem transfer over SSH using NetRunner with no
    issues.

I routinely use SyncTerm to upload and download QWK packets over SSH to my Synchronet BBS. So there's a couple of choices. Either way, it's a case of using the right tool (a BBS terminal like NetRunner or SyncTerm) for the job.
    )

... Proofread carefully to see if you any words out
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From XanRevent@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Tue Mar 5 20:03:20 2019
    Well those are clients that are not designed to work on a BBS so I don't have a good answer for you as far as what supports Zmodem, if anything. There might be a forked version o PUTTY that supports Zmodem? I've
    never heard of zssh so I am sorry I don't have much to suggest here.

I managed to have success using zssh. I had been trying via a standard
    SSH connection in Ubuntu to no avail. It made the whole process pretty easy. Maybe I'll try to stop using the most mundane methods and try netrunner,
    etc., hahaha.

My next personal project is to figure out why it instantly drops the
    connection when I try to authenticate via PuTTY. I know it's not a supported method, but it's maddening that it worked one upon a time but no longer. My theory is that it's related to cryptlib not passing its testlib. It fails at both "Testing DH Key generation" and "Testing ECDH key generation."

The last time I got it to run successfully (both testlibe and PuTTY) was 1)
    on ubuntu 16.04 or Debian, 2)using Mystic alpha 38. I think it has something
    to do with the openSSH no longer including ECDH in its code?

Anyways, thanks for the reply! I don't know that I can properly express how appreciative I am of the work you're doing!!!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to XanRevent on Tue Mar 5 06:00:56 2019
    My next personal project is to figure out why it instantly drops the connection when I try to authenticate via PuTTY. I know it's not a supported method, but it's maddening that it worked one upon a time but
    no longer. My theory is that it's related to cryptlib not passing its

I use putty off and on with SSH and Mystic.

The last time I got it to run successfully (both testlibe and PuTTY) was 1) on ubuntu 16.04 or Debian, 2)using Mystic alpha 38. I think it has something to do with the openSSH no longer including ECDH in its code?

I don't know what testlibe is but I've connected to Mystic as recent as earlier today with Putty.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 (21:1/108)