• message area index reader

From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 10 21:41:32 2018
    I've been testing this for the last 24 hours and enjoying it.

Been playing with subbed bases etc.

Can't seem to get the 'last post' data to budge from 01 Jan 1980 across all bases - a bug?

Some ideas for extra features..

- some way to mass tag all bases in a single message group to speed up subbing/unsubbing

- some way to mass tag all bases across all viewable groups to speed up mass subbing/unsubbing

- a colour added to bases where messages addressed to the reader 'yours' are present, makes for a more visual cue to see something is waiting for someone. User can set this in the ini?

- a way to toggle from view message bases in each group that do not have new messages in them since last login. This would save a lot of up/down scrolling over bases with no new messages. Perhaps CTRL-T could do this

- a way to set the display order of message groups in the reader

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/10 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 10 21:52:04 2018
    I also think the CTRL-P to post a new message to the base needs to come over
    :)

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Mon Dec 10 19:01:16 2018
    Can't seem to get the 'last post' data to budge from 01 Jan 1980 across all bases - a bug?

Let me double check into that, I might have broke something.

- some way to mass tag all bases in a single message group to speed up subbing/unsubbing

- some way to mass tag all bases across all viewable groups to speed up mass subbing/unsubbing

Any suggestions for how to do that? I have very limited hotkeys available.

One thing I have been thinking of doing is adding a / menu like the FS editor has which will bring up a list of commands that basically mimic the CTRL+
    keys so that we have an alternative approach to kicking off functions of the reader.

- a colour added to bases where messages addressed to the reader 'yours' are present, makes for a more visual cue to see something is waiting for someone. User can set this in the ini?

This would have to be in the form of 2 new prompts I would think. I'll look into this.

- a way to set the display order of message groups in the reader

They should show up in the order they are listed in the editor so I think you can move them around in the group editor, no? If not, maybe the approach should be to add a move function into the group editor so their orders can be moved around.

- a way to toggle from view message bases in each group that do not have new messages in them since last login. This would save a lot of up/down scrolling over bases with no new messages. Perhaps CTRL-T could do this

The snap new function moves bases with new messages to the top, and you can also use CTRL+N to jump to the next base with new messages -- so it already kind of does this.

I'll think about a function to only show bases with new messages - maybe I
    can build that into the "View" options.

Thanks for the feedback this is great stuff!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Mon Dec 10 19:03:34 2018
    I also think the CTRL-P to post a new message to the base needs to come over :)

Yep that part isn't done yet.

Its going to take a MAJOR rewrite of some things to get it to work, because
    my plan is to allow the ability to tag a bunch of bases and post a message to all of them at once...

The current API for message posting does not allow something like that.

This is also the reason the Echomail sending from the CFG editor hasn't been completed either - I am waiting to rewrite this message saving stuff first.

Maybe what I can do is make CTRL+P post in the selected base for now like the current reader allows until I get around to finishing the tagging.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Tue Dec 11 13:30:40 2018
    On 12/10/18, g00r00 pondered and said...

- some way to mass tag all bases in a single message group to speed u subbing/unsubbing

- some way to mass tag all bases across all viewable groups to speed mass subbing/unsubbing

One thing I have been thinking of doing is adding a / menu like the FS editor has which will bring up a list of commands that basically mimic
    the CTRL+ keys so that we have an alternative approach to kicking off functions of the reader.

Yep I like that idea as I am so used to pressing ESC or using / to invoke that on the FS editor. Agree it would enable more options.

Any suggestions for how to do that? I have very limited hotkeys available.

Hummm... not sure what keys you have available? could something like

CTRL-1 to select/deselect all bases in current group
    CTRL-2 to select/deselect all bases in all groups

Other options might be CTRL-TAB and ALT-TAB ?? for the above but perhaps CTRL-1,2,3, etc. so there's standard scope for future UI enhancements?

- a colour added to bases where messages addressed to the reader 'you are present, makes for a more visual cue to see something is waiting someone. User can set this in the ini?

This would have to be in the form of 2 new prompts I would think. I'll look into this.

Thanks, I do like the idea of being able to see clearly what is waiting for
    me using color as part of that cue.

The though also occurs to me, what if there is a message for me in a base I
    am not subbed to and my default view is subbed? Will the editor have some smarts to show me those bases regardless of subbed or not? Or how to ensure
    the messages get through when looking through a subbed view only looking
    glass? Not sure.

They should show up in the order they are listed in the editor so I
    think you can move them around in the group editor, no? If not, maybe

Not sure, I recall having to do a big juggle to set the order I
    wanted to see displayed being dependent on the group ID... so I was copying
    and pasting names all over the place then having to assign messages bases new ACS g codes en mass in order to align things. An easier option would be a setting in the ini to allow group display by id order explicitly stated

e.g. display_group_order = 2,5,4,3,1

- a way to toggle from view message bases in each group that do not h new messages in them since last login. This would save a lot of up/do scrolling over bases with no new messages. Perhaps CTRL-T could do th

The snap new function moves bases with new messages to the top, and you can also use CTRL+N to jump to the next base with new messages -- so it already kind of does this.

Yep agree, I just dislike scrolling over a bunch of bases that still clutters the screen, to remove them from view via a hide/reveal toggle option would be nice :)

I'll think about a function to only show bases with new messages - maybe
    I can build that into the "View" options.

Thanks!

You're welcome :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Tue Dec 11 13:32:38 2018

Yep that part isn't done yet.
    Its going to take a MAJOR rewrite of some things to get it to work, because my plan is to allow the ability to tag a bunch of bases and post
    a message to all of them at once...

I noted that as I can see provisions in some of the prompts ;)

The current API for message posting does not allow something like that. This is also the reason the Echomail sending from the CFG editor hasn't been completed either - I am waiting to rewrite this message saving
    stuff first.

Gotcha, yes I tested that again last night to see if it had moved along.. couldn't help myself.

Maybe what I can do is make CTRL+P post in the selected base for now
    like the current reader allows until I get around to finishing the tagging.

Yep, I think it needs it, seems a bit nutty not to have that as an option and at least it's consistent with current UI behavior.

• From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Mon Dec 10 17:53:24 2018
    Avon wrote to g00r00 <=-

I've been testing this for the last 24 hours and enjoying it.

Been playing with subbed bases etc.

You've been saving this list for g00r00's return, haven't you? ;)

---

Black Panther
    A.K.A. - Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again...

... Scratch and Sniff-> XXXXXXXXXXXXXX smells like glass eh

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Avon on Mon Dec 10 18:06:26 2018
    On 12/11/18, Avon said the following...

wanted to see displayed being dependent on the group ID... so I was copying and pasting names all over the place then having to assign messages bases new ACS g codes en mass in order to align things. An
    easier option would be a setting in the ini to allow group display by id order explicitly stated

What I did for a work-around, is edit the name of the message to include the network. For example, 'fsx Chat, Testing + More..' That way, when I would
    sort them message areas within the Message Base Editor, it would group all of each group together.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    a.k.a. Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again....

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Tue Dec 11 20:25:46 2018
    Just a heads up a demo script fails with the mplc -all compile

[snip]

ERRORS:
    Error in apply_sample.mps (Line 85, Col 15): Unknown identifier: userpassword

[snip]

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/11 (Windows/32)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 12 16:09:10 2018

I'll think about a function to only show bases with new messages - maybe
    I can build that into the "View" options.

Other ideas are to be able to sort all bases by date of last message post that is currently displayed.. ascending/descending, or to do the same by each message group..

..also to sort by total number of posts in each base, ascending/descending... to help reveal where activity is?

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Wed Dec 12 00:31:06 2018
    Hummm... not sure what keys you have available? could something like

CTRL-1 to select/deselect all bases in current group
    CTRL-2 to select/deselect all bases in all groups

Other options might be CTRL-TAB and ALT-TAB ?? for the above but perhaps CTRL-1,2,3, etc. so there's standard scope for future UI enhancements?

I'll have to double check that I can even get away with using those. I am pretty sure using anything with TAB would probably interfere with the UI of most operating systems.

This would have to be in the form of 2 new prompts I would think. I' look into this.

Thanks, I do like the idea of being able to see clearly what is waiting for me using color as part of that cue.

I guess I would need to add 4 new prompts. Gonna be a lot of prompts to
    change just to change the looks of the bars!

The though also occurs to me, what if there is a message for me in a
    base I am not subbed to and my default view is subbed? Will the editor have some smarts to show me those bases regardless of subbed or not? Or

No, thats sort of the point of the sub and unsub. If you are unsubbed it
    will not be shown.

wanted to see displayed being dependent on the group ID... so I was copying and pasting names all over the place then having to assign messages bases new ACS g codes en mass in order to align things. An

Well the group numbers never change so you should never have to change ACS
    but I can see how you might have come to that conclusion. As it turns out there is not a Move command just a copy and paste, so there is no way to move
    a group before another without just creating an entirely new group (which of course would mean you'd have to update ACS).

I am going to fix that by adding a Move function in, so you select Copy and then Move to move them around.

Yep agree, I just dislike scrolling over a bunch of bases that still clutters the screen, to remove them from view via a hide/reveal toggle option would be nice :)

You have to also take into consideration how usable it'd be. If for example
    it filtering the entire list in real time for every letter during a search, it'd have to constantly redraw the entire thing every time you pressed a letter. It'd probably end up feeling clunky. It would be the same kind of thing to filter messages based on New but to a lesser extent, but that is why it jumps, so it only actually has to redraw everything if the next base is
    off screen.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Wed Dec 12 00:33:04 2018
    Maybe what I can do is make CTRL+P post in the selected base for now like the current reader allows until I get around to finishing the tagging.

Yep, I think it needs it, seems a bit nutty not to have that as an
    option and at least it's consistent with current UI behavior.

I agree. I've even caught myself pressing CTRL+P to post a message while testing stuff in the index, only to be reminded that it doesn't work. I'll look into the CTRL+P for a single post for now. I want to release A40 in the next week or two so I don't want to make any major changes like the save message code until after that.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Wed Dec 12 00:39:34 2018
    Just a heads up a demo script fails with the mplc -all compile

[snip]

ERRORS:

Yep that is intentional, you can no longer access a user's password anymore
    as even Mystic doesn't store a user's password ever.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 12 19:50:44 2018
    On 12/12/18, g00r00 pondered and said...

I'll have to double check that I can even get away with using those. I
    am pretty sure using anything with TAB would probably interfere with the UI of most operating systems.

OK, I'm not really sure of what options are available so thanks for looking.

I guess I would need to add 4 new prompts. Gonna be a lot of prompts to change just to change the looks of the bars!

Lots of prompts indeed :)

base I am not subbed to and my default view is subbed? Will the edito have some smarts to show me those bases regardless of subbed or not?

No, thats sort of the point of the sub and unsub. If you are unsubbed it will not be shown.

OK then as much as I like subbed stuff I worry I will miss things so then I
    set my default view to show all I think. That's all good, we all look at this user experience differently.

ACS but I can see how you might have come to that conclusion. As it
    turns out there is not a Move command just a copy and paste, so there is no way to move a group before another without just creating an entirely new group (which of course would mean you'd have to update ACS).

I am going to fix that by adding a Move function in, so you select Copy and then Move to move them around.

Yes thanks, that's exactly the issue I faced at the time hence the juggle I
    had to go through.

You have to also take into consideration how usable it'd be. If for example it filtering the entire list in real time for every letter
    during a search, it'd have to constantly redraw the entire thing every time you pressed a letter. It'd probably end up feeling clunky. It

Yep fair comment... hadn't considered that.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 12 19:51:22 2018

I'll look into the CTRL+P for a single post for now. I want to release A40 in the next week or two so I don't want to make any major changes
    like the save message code until after that.

10-4

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 12 19:55:52 2018

Yep that is intentional, you can no longer access a user's password anymore as even Mystic doesn't store a user's password ever.

Should the script be updated or removed from the stock install? Just a
    thought.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Fri Dec 14 04:27:00 2018
    OK then as much as I like subbed stuff I worry I will miss things so
    then I set my default view to show all I think. That's all good, we all look at this user experience differently.

Its the same thing is "Toggling Newscan settings". If you remove a base
    from the newscan settings, you won't see messages. The Sub/Unsub is just a change in terminology used since I think its more obvious what it does than "Toggle newscan".

I am going to fix that by adding a Move function in, so you select Co and then Move to move them around.

Yes thanks, that's exactly the issue I faced at the time hence the
    juggle I had to go through.

I've added the group move in now to both the group editor and the file base editor. I didn't realize it but the file base editor didn't have it either.
    I am sort of holding off to release a new build because I am in the middle of working on SSL for SMTP/Sendmail and also because of the potential password issues.

Yep fair comment... hadn't considered that.

I do want to make a version of my listing code that can do both the inline searching/jumping AND the filtering. I did start working on that at one
    point but there are so many other things that I end up feeling are better to spend time on.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Avon on Fri Dec 14 04:33:14 2018
    Yep that is intentional, you can no longer access a user's password anymore as even Mystic doesn't store a user's password ever.

Should the script be updated or removed from the stock install? Just a thought.

It will remain I will just come up with a way to keep it working. I need to add some new password related functions to MPL and Python and then I can
    update the default script.

I want to focus on any password issues you're having though before I worry about too much ease. Obviously that is a huge deal and I really dropped the ball there with testing and making sure it was ready before I let files creep into the prealpha directory (sorry :( )