• Connecting to a message network

From CatX@21:1/112 to All on Fri Dec 7 14:12:42 2018
    Hey all,

I've been trying to setup an echomail connection to fsxNet, but I just can't seem to get it to work, despite double-checking my configurations multiple times.

I recently had a problem with the message bases, which didn't allow me to post anything at all (SecLVLs were correct), but this was resolved after
    installing a fresh version of mystic and copying over any relevant files to
    the new one. For now, I'm able to download and read messages as well as downloading NA files and having them set themselves up correctly, but so far
    I haven't been able to actually send anything out, despite the log claiming that an echo was sent.

As per the instructions on YouTube (the channel is called "Mystic Guy") I'm sending to 21:1/999, which I understood as being the correct destination
    for any BBS that hasn't registered yet.

It would be really appreciated if someone could give me a hand here, as I'm pretty new to these things :)

|10 ¿ÚÂÄ ³
    |10 ÃÁ´. ³ CatX
    |10 Ù ÀÙ ³

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to CatX on Fri Dec 7 12:00:58 2018
    Re: Connecting to a message network
    By: CatX to All on Fri Dec 07 2018 02:12 pm

As per the instructions on YouTube (the channel is called "Mystic Guy") I'm sending to 21:1/999, which I understood as being the correct destination for any BBS that hasn't registered yet.

21:1/999 is a temporary address that anyone can use. Nodes at 21:1/999 send to their hub 21:1/100 (I presume). Nodes in net 4 (like me) send to their hub 21:4/100.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Doing my part to preserve order in the universe
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Michael Borthwick@21:4/132 to CatX on Sat Dec 8 08:05:24 2018
    As per the instructions on YouTube (the channel is called "Mystic Guy") I'm sending to 21:1/999, which I understood as being the correct destination for any BBS that hasn't registered yet.

Hi,

21:1/999 is what you should set your bbs to under Mystic Config -> Networking
    Echomail Addresses.

You want to send a netmail message to Avon at 21:1/101

Avon is the mystic guy on youtube :)

The other option is to send Avon an email at avon@bbs.nz to get him to set
    you up as a node and give you all the correct details for the hub you will connect to.

It would be really appreciated if someone could give me a hand here, as I'm pretty new to these things :)

I was in the same boat not long ago, there is plenty of help here!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Fusion BBS ~ Newcastle, Australia (21:4/132)
  • From CatX@21:1/112 to Michael Borthwick on Fri Dec 7 16:55:48 2018
    21:1/999 is what you should set your bbs to under Mystic Config ->
    Echomail Addresses

Yep, that's what I've done. It doesn't allow me to send anything though.
    Let me see if I got this right - 21:1/999 can be used by anyone who's not yet registered, right? Does it only allow for receiving messages or should it be able to send too? Seeing as my BBS reports the echomail being sent I wonder
    if it's just 21:1/999 that's ignoring/blocking my requests?

You want to send a netmail message to Avon at 21:1/101
    The other option is to send Avon an email at avon@bbs.nz to get him to
    set you up as a node and give you all the correct details for the hub
    you will connect to.

Yeah.. I've been hesitating over that for a while now ^^;
    I'm not too happy to give out my IRL name, but I guess I'll have to, eventually.. My anonymity means a lot to me.
    Also I'm not quite ready to have people joining my BBS yet as it's not fully completed (though most of it is themed and it has a few custom scripts).

On that note, is it okay for me to register my BBS on fsxNet and other nets despite being under 18 (I'm 16)? I assume it should be, but I thought I might ask here as well just in case. I tried contacting avon on agency.bbs.nz regarding this but I hasn't gotten any reply so far.

Avon is the mystic guy on youtube :)

Oh cool. I suspected so but I wasn't entirely sure so I thought it would be best not to make any blind assumptions :)

|10 ¿ÚÂÄ ³
    |10 ÃÁ´. ³ CatX
    |10 Ù ÀÙ ³

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From Michael Borthwick@21:4/132 to CatX on Sat Dec 8 09:10:12 2018
    Yep, that's what I've done. It doesn't allow me to send anything though. Let me see if I got this right - 21:1/999 can be used by anyone who's
    not yet registered, right? Does it only allow for receiving messages or should it be able to send too? Seeing as my BBS reports the echomail
    being sent I wonder if it's just 21:1/999 that's ignoring/blocking my requests?

You shouldn't be able to receive as /999 technically doesn't exist on the network but Avon should be able to receive it. Essentially you are just
    asking for Avon to set you up on the network, using /999 can show that you've got your bbs up and working. It's not super critcial to joining a network... we're all here to help you get started.

Yeah.. I've been hesitating over that for a while now ^^;
    I'm not too happy to give out my IRL name, but I guess I'll have to, eventually.. My anonymity means a lot to me.
    Also I'm not quite ready to have people joining my BBS yet as it's not fully completed (though most of it is themed and it has a few custom scripts).

Entirely up to Avon as to what he will accept name wise, I'm not sure of his policy but I suspect a real name would be required. Note that your physical address probably isn't required and nobody using the network would ever know it.

On that note, is it okay for me to register my BBS on fsxNet and other nets despite being under 18 (I'm 16)? I assume it should be, but I
    thought I might ask here as well just in case. I tried contacting avon
    on agency.bbs.nz regarding this but I hasn't gotten any reply so far.

Shouldn't be a problem. I know FSX is an all ages network :)

• From Apam@21:1/125.1 to CatX on Sat Dec 8 08:22:42 2018
    Re: Connecting to a message network
    By: CatX to Michael Borthwick on Fri Dec 07 2018 04:55 pm

Yep, that's what I've done. It doesn't allow me to send anything though. Let me see if I got this right - 21:1/999 can be used by anyone who's not yet registered, right? Does it only allow for receiving messages or should it be able to send too? Seeing as my BBS reports the echomail being sent I wonder if it's just 21:1/999 that's ignoring/blocking my requests?

You can receive messages on 21:1/999, but it's first come first serve, so if someone else is using that node they may get the messages before you.

Also, note that Agency is experiencing issues with receiving fsx mail as Paul (Avon) has been away for the week and hasn't been able to fix things, so you wont see any of your messages there (until Paul fixes it which might be today or tomorrow).

Andrew
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: The Positronic Brain - SBBS Test BBS (21:1/125.1)
  • From Michael Borthwick@21:4/132 to Apam on Sat Dec 8 10:44:06 2018
    You can receive messages on 21:1/999, but it's first come first serve,

I suggest Avon is leaving /999 free for newcomers to set their bbs's up with and send a test message/request to Avon to join FSX (it's in his videos)

I would have thought that since /999 isn't setup on any hub it wouldn't be
    able to receive mail?

• From apam@21:1/125 to Michael Borthwick on Sat Dec 8 10:09:28 2018
    You can receive messages on 21:1/999, but it's first come first s

I suggest Avon is leaving /999 free for newcomers to set their bbs's
    up with and send a test message/request to Avon to join FSX (it's in
    his videos)

Yes that's correct.

I would have thought that since /999 isn't setup on any hub it
    wouldn't be able to receive mail?

It is setup, just with a password that everyone knows, (ie LETMEIN)

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From Michael Borthwick@21:4/132 to apam on Sat Dec 8 11:18:04 2018
    It is setup, just with a password that everyone knows, (ie LETMEIN)

Ah ok but it wouldn't be able to receive crash messages, it would have to fidopoll it?

• From Apam@21:1/125.1 to Michael Borthwick on Sat Dec 8 10:25:50 2018
    Re: Re: Connecting to a message network
    By: Michael Borthwick to apam on Sat Dec 08 2018 11:18 am

Ah ok but it wouldn't be able to receive crash messages, it would have to fidopoll it?

Yep that's right :)

Andrew
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: The Positronic Brain - SBBS Test BBS (21:1/125.1)