• Hey there

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Jun 26 12:16:50 2019
    Hi all.

I'm Paul ZL4PH based in Dunedin, New Zealand

I'm mostly active on 2m and 70cm bands but have HF gear that I need to work
    on getting setup again. I had an inverted-v antenna that came down in bad weather and I have yet to reinstate it.

When I was last using my HF gear I was mostly active on 15m 20m and 40m.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Wed Jun 26 13:21:00 2019
    On 06-26-19 12:16, Avon wrote to All <=-

Hi all.

I'm mostly active on 2m and 70cm bands but have HF gear that I need to work on getting setup again. I had an inverted-v antenna that came down
    in bad weather and I have yet to reinstate it.

When I was last using my HF gear I was mostly active on 15m 20m and
    40m.

Hey again Paul. :)

I'm Tony VK3JED, fairly quiet ATM on the bands, but with the recent release of the local radio club's 5 year strategic plan, I may become more active soon. I have an EchoIRLP node setup (radio usually off for regulatory reasons). The system also has a VHF/UHF remote base, and even a satellite Doppler tracking mode, using a system I put together myself. I also run one of the main Australian IRLP/Echolink reflectors - REF9550, as well as the REF023 D-STAR reflector. I occasionally pop up on VHF/UHF, but HF is currently off air - have to do some serious antenna raising. :)

I've tried many aspects of Amateur Radio, including:

HF
    VHF/UHF
    Packet radio (AX.25, NET/ROM, APRS and IP).
    CW (very little!)
    IRLP/Echolink
    Satellites (voice and telemetry)
    Digital voice
    - HF (early modes and FreeDV)
    - VHF/UHF (D-STAR, DMR)
    Foxhunting
    ARDF
    Emergency/public service comms.
    DX
    Contesting
    Mobile/portable
    Digital data modes
    Homebrewing

To name a few. ;)

... god@universe:~ # cvs up && make world
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to Avon on Wed Jun 26 16:01:28 2019
    I'm mostly active on 2m and 70cm bands but have HF gear that I need to work on getting setup again. I had an inverted-v antenna that came down
    in bad weather and I have yet to reinstate it.

I am not licensed, nor i use radios for communication, but i do like listening to radio frequencies, via Internet or a RTLSDR setup. All of my antennas are DIY stuff and mostly i listen to 2m and 70cm. If i had a call sign, that would be SV1XQT! :)

I did try once to get a license, but then i realized that to do "real" stuff, you need a class b license and a lot of money :) so i gave up. I don't regret as, today you can hear amateur frequencies, via internet sites, with out spending a cent :)

:: XQTR :: Another Droid BBS :: andr01d.zapto.org:9999 :: xqtr@gmx.com

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to xqtr on Thu Jun 27 20:51:14 2019
    On 26 Jun 2019 at 04:01p, xqtr pondered and said...

I am not licensed, nor i use radios for communication, but i do like listening to radio frequencies, via Internet or a RTLSDR setup. All of
    my antennas are DIY stuff and mostly i listen to 2m and 70cm. If i had a call sign, that would be SV1XQT! :)

That sounds like it would be a very nice call sign to have :)

I don't have any software defined radios but use a Icom IC 2720 for my
    VHF/UHF contacts and have a Kenwood TS-440S as a HF rig that I use when I
    have my antenna back up on the lower bands.

I did try once to get a license, but then i realized that to do "real" stuff, you need a class b license and a lot of money :) so i gave up. I don't regret as, today you can hear amateur frequencies, via internet sites, with out spending a cent :)

Out of interest what are the steps required there and the approximate costs?

Here you need to sit an exam and pass it and pay the radio club that conducts the exam a small fee (around $5)

We use a General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators here. GURL is the abbreviation for General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators and is the licence covering the operation of amateur radio equipment in New Zealand.

Have a look at https://bit.ly/2NgK8eB if interested :)

• From xqtr@21:1/111 to Avon on Thu Jun 27 15:03:26 2019
    Out of interest what are the steps required there and the approximate costs?

from what i remember... the exams are 2 times per year (one per six months),
    is a government organization, about telecommunications, but not in all districts/areas... so if you live far, from a big city, you have to take the trip to that city to take the test. You have to submit a paper that says that you want to take the exam for class A/B license and about 50Euros, for the
    cost of the exams and the callsign :( There are no lessons to attend... you just download a set of questions/answers and read them. Those who are more lucky and have an amateur radio club, near them, can attend some lessons
    there, but those, are just an offer of the club and don't have any relation to the exams. For example the lessons from the club, can be more advanced than
    the license you want is demanding.

Also, if you take first the class A license and then the class B, is 50+50 euros :) So many people, take the class B with the first try.

In my case, i had to travel about 100Km to take the exam and also loose a
    whole work day, from my job, which at the time was impossible due to work issues.

The call signs beginning with SV or SY are from Greece.. .so if you listen someone with that prefix, you have reached Greece :)

:: XQTR :: Another Droid BBS :: andr01d.zapto.org:9999 :: xqtr@gmx.com

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS # andr01d.zapto.org:9999 (21:1/111)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to xqtr on Fri Jun 28 11:35:16 2019
    On 27 Jun 2019 at 03:03p, xqtr pondered and said...

Also, if you take first the class A license and then the class B, is
    50+50 euros :) So many people, take the class B with the first try.

In my case, i had to travel about 100Km to take the exam and also loose a whole work day, from my job, which at the time was impossible due to work issues.

That sounds like a big hill to climb and not a very easy way to encourage people to take up the hobby / interest :(

The call signs beginning with SV or SY are from Greece.. .so if you
    listen someone with that prefix, you have reached Greece :)

Perhaps one day I will :)