• US post office package shipped across the country in 2 days

From Nightfox@21:1/137 to All on Mon May 23 15:32:45 2022
    I had an item on eBay that sold on Saturday. The buyer paid, and Saturday afternoon I dropped off the package for shipping. It was going across the country (I live in Oregon, near the west coast, and it was going to New York). I used the cheapest US Post Office shipping available. The tracking originally said it was expected to arrive on Thursday (after 5 days), but the tracking now says it was delivered today. I'm really surprised that something with the cheap/standard US Post Office shipping (not even their Priority Mail) arrived across the country in 2 days. I figure it must have been loaded onto an airplane or something. I'm not complaining though, and I'm sure the buyer was (or will be) happy to see it arrive that soon.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to Nightfox on Mon May 23 19:20:39 2022
    Priority Mail) arrived across the country in 2 days. I figure it must have been loaded onto an airplane or something. I'm not complaining though, and I'm sure the buyer was (or will be) happy to see it arrive that soon.

I don't think that's ever happened to me. Generally anything I get through USPS is on time, but never early.

FedEx is almost always a day late.

UPS never knows where the package is.

- Andre
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (21:3/117)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Nightfox on Mon May 23 19:10:34 2022
    Re: US post office package shipped across the country in 2 days
    By: Nightfox to All on Mon May 23 2022 03:32 pm

the tracking now says it was delivered today. I'm really surprised that something with the cheap/standard US Post Office shipping (not even their Priority Mail) arrived across the country in 2 days. I figure it must have been loaded onto an airplane or something. I'm not complaining though, and I'm sure the buyer was (or will be) happy to see it arrive that soon.

For several years, I sent certified mail across town every other week. I saw mails go from 2 days to 7-10, and sometimes 14 after the recent post office changes.

Turns out that mail going cross-town would need to go 40 miles over to San Jose to be sorted, because they dismantled a perfectly working mechanical sorter as part of their "improvements" in 2020.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Andre on Tue May 24 08:24:27 2022
    Re: US post office package shipped across the country in 2 days
    By: Andre to Nightfox on Mon May 23 2022 07:20 pm

Priority Mail) arrived across the country in 2 days. I figure it
    must have been loaded onto an airplane or something. I'm not
    complaining though, and I'm sure the buyer was (or will be) happy to
    see it arrive that soon.

I don't think that's ever happened to me. Generally anything I get through USPS is on time, but never early.

FedEx is almost always a day late.

UPS never knows where the package is.

Interesting.. Usually I've had a pretty good experience with UPS. Actually FedEx and UPS would normally be on time for me, though last year I had a couple of late packages from FedEx. One was about 3 weeks late..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to Nightfox on Tue May 24 11:01:42 2022
    Interesting.. Usually I've had a pretty good experience with UPS. Actually FedEx and UPS would normally be on time for me, though last year I had a couple of late packages from FedEx. One was about 3 weeks late..

We (mostly my wife) buy a lot of things from all over the world and she ships quite a bit with USPS. We live about ten minutes from a 2nd-tier airport (UPS/FedEx/DHL) and twenty minutes from the regional USPS distribution center. We also have an Amazon distribution center about 40 minutes away.

UPS is generally pretty good, except when they partner with USPS which is always a nightmare.

FedEx tends to damage things much less and knows where the packages are, but their shipping estimate is consistently a day late.

USPS has been pretty nice as long as there are no problems, at which point you're in trouble.

DHL has been pretty great for anything from China.

Amazon is pure perfection.

- Andre
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (21:3/117)