• Politics echo

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat May 14 12:12:34 2022
    Hi all

I'm playing belated catch-up on the thread in FSX_NET regards a politics echo. Have been posting replies and thanks to all who have contributed. Will ponder the feedback and come back with a final decision in the coming day or so.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Avon on Fri May 13 19:32:25 2022
    Re: Politics echo
    By: Avon to All on Sat May 14 2022 12:12 pm

I'm playing belated catch-up on the thread in FSX_NET regards a politics echo. Have been posting replies and thanks to all who have contributed.

I also recall some discussion of a non-political world/current events echo, I think.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Sat May 14 17:13:00 2022
    I'm playing belated catch-up on the thread in FSX_NET regards a politics

Haven't see that, but I rarely look into other areas. I reckon its good
    where it is.. the only issue is when there's poisonous division in the ranks, usually the US guys, as one eyed as pirates, and mad as cut snakes about it
    for some reason.

You keep moving stuff out of general pretty soon it'll be generally nothing.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: The future's uncertain, the end is always near. (21:3/101)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to Spectre on Sat May 14 05:29:14 2022
    Haven't see that, but I rarely look into other areas. I reckon its good where it is.. the only issue is when there's poisonous division in the ranks, usually the US guys, as one eyed as pirates, and mad as cut snakes about it for some reason.

Actuall, most of us barely care to discuss politics. People outside the US (on these boards usually Aus/NZ and Europeans) are way more dickish about US politics than we are.

- Andre
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (21:3/117)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Andre on Sun May 15 09:09:00 2022
    Actuall, most of us barely care to discuss politics. People outside the US (on these boards usually Aus/NZ and Europeans) are way more dickish about US politics than we are.

Shrug, squeaky wheel gets the kick as Minsc says I suppose. But like here,
    one would imagine there's a good sized middle ground somewhere that we're not acquainted with. I can't speak for the europeans or New Zealanders, but I think most Aussies aside from the peanuts that want to run for office find
    most poli's to be complete flogs.

Politics like Churches tend to attract the wrong kinds of people to
    themselves for petty self agrandizement reasons.

Spec

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun May 15 12:04:59 2022
    On 14 May 2022 at 05:13p, Spectre pondered and said...

I'm playing belated catch-up on the thread in FSX_NET regards a polit

Haven't see that, but I rarely look into other areas. I reckon its good where it is.. the only issue is when there's poisonous division in the

My best suggestion is ensure you're linked to the available echos else you may well be missing out on something you want to read :)

This comment really struck a chord with me as I am wondering if there are now just too many echos in fsxNet? There's always a mix of levels of activity in the echos and to me it's quieter now than say a year ago but I'm also mindful we've all got stuff going on such as Covid, changing interests, family health, etc etc. so just having more or less echos may not be as much of a driver for usage across the network as one may first suspect. Not sure.

In any regard it's probably worth having a look at some of the echos launched almost 12 months ago (25 May 2021) and considering as The Clash say 'should they stay or should they go?' :)

• From Gamgee@21:2/138 to Avon on Sat May 14 19:38:00 2022
    Avon wrote to Spectre <=-

This comment really struck a chord with me as I am wondering if
    there are now just too many echos in fsxNet?

I would say that there are (too many, too specialized).

In any regard it's probably worth having a look at some of the
    echos launched almost 12 months ago (25 May 2021) and considering
    as The Clash say 'should they stay or should they go?' :)

Absolutely agree.

... I need accurate, brief, and non-redundant information.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Sun May 15 10:36:00 2022
    Haven't see that, but I rarely look into other areas. I reckon its

My best suggestion is ensure you're linked to the available echos else you may well be missing out on something you want to read :)

I don't have the... want, will... interest to poke through all the other echoes. I'm a far bigger fan of jamming as much as possible into general. If
    it doesn't warrant a run here... is it really a thing? Shrug..

This comment really struck a chord with me as I am wondering if there are now just too many echos in fsxNet? There's always a mix of levels of activity in the echos and to me it's quieter now than say a year ago but

I'm inclined to think there are... I'm not sure where some of the ideas for some of the echoes came from.. Most got a good kick off but many have either pretty much ceased altogether or are deadly quiet. Even the odd old one like crypto, I've never seen a message in there...

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun May 15 13:50:44 2022
    Shrug, squeaky wheel gets the kick as Minsc says I suppose. But like
    here, one would imagine there's a good sized middle ground somewhere
    that we're not acquainted with. I can't speak for the europeans or New Zealanders, but I think most Aussies aside from the peanuts that want to run for office find most poli's to be complete flogs.

Politics like Churches tend to attract the wrong kinds of people to themselves for petty self agrandizement reasons.

Spec

Yeah, we're pretty sceptical about pollies. One thing I like about Australia is we don't do those big political rallies with flags and all that hoo-ha like the Americans do. You won't see crowds cheering anyone at a political rally. We're far more sedate about such things.

The problem with politics is really ideology, not politics itself. We have strong ideologies, and it is this which causes the crapfest. One person believes in this notion, another in that. I don't think historically that has been the case for politics. Such thinking tended to remain in the religious sphere, but politics and socials ideals have become the new religions.

Thats the thing, you CAN have civil discussions about *politics*, about the power plays and the like. The discussion turns bad because people inject faith based beliefs into politics.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun May 15 13:58:46 2022
    On 15 May 2022 at 10:36a, Spectre pondered and said...

Haven't see that, but I rarely look into other areas. I reckon its

My best suggestion is ensure you're linked to the available echos els may well be missing out on something you want to read :)

I don't have the... want, will... interest to poke through all the other echoes. I'm a far bigger fan of jamming as much as possible into
    general. If it doesn't warrant a run here... is it really a thing?

As was I until it go so busy with just one and well you know the rest as they say is history :)

This comment really struck a chord with me as I am wondering if there now just too many echos in fsxNet? There's always a mix of levels of activity in the echos and to me it's quieter now than say a year ago

I'm inclined to think there are... I'm not sure where some of the ideas for some of the echoes came from.. Most got a good kick off but many
    have either pretty much ceased altogether or are deadly quiet. Even the odd old one like crypto, I've never seen a message in there...

I've kept that echo (crypto) because I had/still have that interest in encoded messages / security etc. more so than anything to do with crypto currencies etc... but yeah fair comment on the new echos. Again I'll likely discuss this in FSX_NET echo as I'd set that up as an echo for network admin etc.. as per the description in fsxnet.txt and kinda think there's still a place for an echo about all that related stuff.

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Sun May 15 12:56:00 2022
    The problem with politics is really ideology, not politics itself. We have strong ideologies, and it is this which causes the crapfest. One person believes in this notion, another in that. I don't think historically that has been the case for politics. Such thinking tended to remain in the religious sphere, but politics and socials ideals have become the new religions.

Yeah nah, or not quite... There was a time, that politics and religion were tied at the hip here. 40s and 50s maybe, somewhere in there... We had a majority christian population and as a result they had a lot of pull in the political sphere also. At its heart a lot of religion is also politics
    like any largish body. This also seems to lend itself to one form bleeding
    into the other.

At this point we have a far more diverse population, and the traditional churches have dropped off in influence. The ones that remain tend to come off as the lunatic fringe rather than anyone you can take seriously.

Not sure politics have become the new religion, in fact I'd go do far as to
    say its in decline rather than any kind of improved position, rather the way religion has gone. To my mind, its like they had their crack at things for a long time, to do it pretty much esxclusive of any other serious minority.
    But with the change in demographics their exclusive days are done. Far more divergent people, far more religions... can we get Jedi in there again? So we've diluted the religious pool, diluted the political pool too, the "new comers" don't appear to identify with either main party as much as they used to.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Sun May 15 21:36:46 2022

Yeah nah, or not quite... There was a time, that politics and religion were tied at the hip here. 40s and 50s maybe, somewhere in there... We
    had a majority christian population and as a result they had a lot of
    pull in the political sphere also. At its heart a lot of religion is
    also politics like any largish body. This also seems to lend itself to
    one form bleeding into the other.

At this point we have a far more diverse population, and the traditional churches have dropped off in influence. The ones that remain tend to
    come off as the lunatic fringe rather than anyone you can take seriously.

Not sure politics have become the new religion, in fact I'd go do far as to say its in decline rather than any kind of improved position, rather the way religion has gone. To my mind, its like they had their crack at things for a long time, to do it pretty much esxclusive of any other serious minority. But with the change in demographics their exclusive
    days are done. Far more divergent people, far more religions... can we
    get Jedi in there again? So we've diluted the religious pool, diluted
    the political pool too, the "new comers" don't appear to identify with either main party as much as they used to.

Spec

Faith based belief still influences politics heavily, it is just this faith based belief is not considered to be a religion. I won't go much further, let this become a "political" discussion, but things today are still heavily influenced by other ideals. They just aren't coming from the church anymore, but a different type of "church".

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Sun May 15 20:42:00 2022
    Faith based belief still influences politics heavily, it is just this faith based belief is not considered to be a religion. I won't go much further, let this become a "political" discussion, but things today are still heavily influenced by other ideals. They just aren't coming from the church anymore, but a different type of "church".

Boggle, thats about as obscure as you can get, and I have no idea who the new religion might be... Buddhists? Shrug... I s'pose we've got the temple of mammon in every pub these days.. On the other hand it could be something I'm not across at all.. I am intrigued though.

Spec

• From Accession@21:1/200 to Avon on Sun May 15 07:55:43 2022
    On 15 May 2022, Avon said the following...

In any regard it's probably worth having a look at some of the echos launched almost 12 months ago (25 May 2021) and considering as The Clash say 'should they stay or should they go?' :)

While I don't think there's too many here, or in most of the othernets out there, you definitely don't need an echomail report to see which areas are used and which ones aren't. From what I've seen, getting too specific seems to draw people away from those and back into the general echos.

That said, you could always use Fidonet as a prime example, with probably well over 200 echos (depending on who you link with) and only maybe 20 used by actual people and not robots. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Spectre on Sun May 15 14:07:00 2022
    Hello Spectre!

** On Sunday 15.05.22 - 09:09, Spectre wrote to Andre:

... I can't speak for the europeans or New Zealanders, but
    I think most Aussies aside from the peanuts that want to
    run for office find most poli's to be complete flogs.

Politics like Churches tend to attract the wrong kinds of
    people to themselves for petty self agrandizement reasons.

Apparently a career in politics can be financially rewarding.
    In Canada, one only needs to be "in office" for a minimum of 3
    consecutive years and the person gets a life-long pension that
    could rival the average slog who toils all their life for one.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Ogg on Mon May 16 08:01:00 2022
    Apparently a career in politics can be financially rewarding. In Canada, one only needs to be "in office" for a minimum of 3

Its similar here... the going pay rate for federal members is fairly impressive, only improving if you're in government and/or an official such as prime mincer or treasurer.... followed by some level o' pension I don't know much about.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Mon May 16 11:07:13 2022
    Boggle, thats about as obscure as you can get, and I have no idea who
    the new religion might be... Buddhists? Shrug... I s'pose we've got the temple of mammon in every pub these days.. On the other hand it could be something I'm not across at all.. I am intrigued though.

Spec

I was referring to Political Correctness/Progressivism, but didn't want to venture into politics. We still have social mores and morals which one might
    be considered some type of "heretic" for not following, and major political issues are strongly shaped by them.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Accession on Mon May 16 11:13:32 2022
    In any regard it's probably worth having a look at some of the echos launched almost 12 months ago (25 May 2021) and considering as The Cl say 'should they stay or should they go?' :)

While I don't think there's too many here, or in most of the othernets
    out there, you definitely don't need an echomail report to see which
    areas are used and which ones aren't. From what I've seen, getting too specific seems to draw people away from those and back into the general echos.

That said, you could always use Fidonet as a prime example, with
    probably well over 200 echos (depending on who you link with) and only maybe 20 used by actual people and not robots. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

I always thought the deal with Fidonet was that you would subscribe to the Echo's you were interested in, and each one of those was its own 'community'.

But with few users now, its the same people across the echos and going to all these different rooms to talk to the same people makes less sense.

The thing is DoveNet also has a "debate" and "entertainment" echo, so if I want to start a debate or talk about a movie, do I go to DoveNet or fsxNet or FidoNet?

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to Spectre on Sun May 15 18:32:31 2022
    Re: Re: Politics echo
    By: Spectre to boraxman on Sun May 15 2022 08:42 pm

Boggle, thats about as obscure as you can get, and I have no idea who the ne religion might be... Buddhists? Shrug... I s'pose we've got the temple of mammon in every pub these days.. On the other hand it could be something I'm not across at all.. I am intrigued though.

Spec

Actually, what boraxman means is that people chooses one set of political stances as theirs and defends those beyond rationality. Much like football hooligans.

I used to joke that one of the defining traits of a Spaniard is that he voted for party X because his father voted for party X, and his father before him, and his father before him, and that he is not going to stop voting for party X just because party X is running his village to the ground.

The other defining trait of being a Spaniard is being unenployed XD

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to boraxman on Sun May 15 21:16:16 2022
    On 16 May 2022, boraxman said the following...

I always thought the deal with Fidonet was that you would subscribe to
    the Echo's you were interested in, and each one of those was its own 'community'.

Sure, I could definitely see that as the case back in it's prime when there were hundreds or more messages posted daily.

But with few users now, its the same people across the echos and going
    to all these different rooms to talk to the same people makes less sense.

It tends to get a bit repetitive, also.

The thing is DoveNet also has a "debate" and "entertainment" echo, so if
    I want to start a debate or talk about a movie, do I go to DoveNet or fsxNet or FidoNet?

I suppose you would frequent the network you enjoy more?

Regards,
    Nick

• From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Arelor on Sun May 15 22:29:00 2022
    Hello Arelor!

** On Sunday 15.05.22 - 18:32, Arelor wrote to Spectre:

I used to joke that one of the defining traits of a
    Spaniard is that he voted for party X because his father
    voted for party X, and his father before him, and his
    father before him, and that he is not going to stop voting
    for party X just because party X is running his village to
    the ground.

LOL

The other defining trait of being a Spaniard is being
    unenployed XD

LOL x 2

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Arelor on Mon May 16 13:22:00 2022
    I used to joke that one of the defining traits of a Spaniard is that he voted for party X because his father voted for party X, and his
    father before him, and his father before him, and that he is not
    going to stop voting for party X just because party X is running
    his village to the ground.

We used to have a similar setup... but that's more my parents era.. knowing
    my old fogey parents maybe even my grand parents generation. They voted the same way "religiously" for the same parties... regardless of what they were doing.

Along with the main parties losing their... dominance, I don't think we're quite as one eyed as we used to be...

Spec

• From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to All on Sun May 15 22:57:58 2022
    I dont think a politics echo would be healthy. I have a new perspective right now. Mixed communities should not have a politics echo because not all of us are from the same political tribe. Politics is severely divisive. I do not want to dip in the pool when it comes to political discussions on discord servers when the community is not explicitly about politics. It just kills unity.

I know we have different perspectives, but the goal should be try to unify us as best we can.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Utopian Galt on Mon May 16 00:24:46 2022
    I dont think a politics echo would be healthy. I have a new perspective right now. Mixed communities should not have a politics echo because not all of us are from the same political tribe.

We are not and we never were. The world is full of thin people, thick people, tall people, short people and the list goes on.

Politics is severely divisive. I do not want to dip in the pool when it
    comes to political discussions on discord servers when the community is not explicitly about politics. It just kills unity.

It not politics that kills unity. People kill unity. The trouble arises when someone wants to be "right" when there isn't a "right". There are different views and different ways of looking at and examining things.

I know we have different perspectives, but the goal should be try to unify us as best we can.

Sure, unity is great but we can't always be united and it's OK to discuss things if we can do that in a respectful way.

Every node is free to connect the areas they please or not be connected if they so choose. The same is true of threads in areas you do read. Reply to threads that you find interesting and others.. well.. just let them go.

That's my $0.02 worth. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Tue May 17 00:17:00 2022
    I was referring to Political Correctness/Progressivism, but didn't want to venture into politics. We still have social mores and morals which one might be considered some type of "heretic" for not following,
    and major political issues are strongly shaped by them.

I s'pose this is a little like splitting hairs... but the wacky woke people, and poisonous politically correct is more like the new evangelism than
    religon. They're pushing that agenda hard, but there's a lot more diversity
    in the groups that do it. I feel the major problem with them is that their happy to persecute publicly anyone that doesn't agree with them. In some
    ways they seem to have also picked up from the old political arguments, socialism vs capitalism, neo-nazi types... giving those so inclined something to "believe" in and push the barrow giving them something to fill their time with and feel self important about.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Arelor on Tue May 17 10:13:15 2022

Boggle, thats about as obscure as you can get, and I have no idea who t religion might be... Buddhists? Shrug... I s'pose we've got the temple mammon in every pub these days.. On the other hand it could be somethin not across at all.. I am intrigued though.

Spec

Actually, what boraxman means is that people chooses one set of political stances as theirs and defends those beyond rationality. Much like
    football hooligans.

I used to joke that one of the defining traits of a Spaniard is that he voted for party X because his father voted for party X, and his father before him, and his father before him, and that he is not going to stop voting for party X just because party X is running his village to the ground.

The other defining trait of being a Spaniard is being unenployed XD

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux

What I mean, and I was vague to avoid this discussion turning into a
    political one, was that many of our modern "Beliefs" are actually beliefs based on faith, that is, we assume they work despite no evidence they do (and whatever evidence existing to the contrary). You cannot challenge or dispute
    them, because that is "bigotry" or "prejudice" or some "phobia", so these beliefs shape society. This is true on the left and right, true for almost
    any "ism".

This kind of thinking was rarer centuries ago, is rose in the 19th and 20th century. These beliefs share similar mode of thought and justification to old religions, so I think it is the same instinct kicking in.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Al on Tue May 17 10:26:56 2022

I dont think a politics echo would be healthy. I have a new perspective now. Mixed communities should not have a politics echo because not all o are from the same political tribe.

I think we are more divided because there is no other unifying identity.
    There is nothing strong and concrete to define the 'tribe' anymore.

It not politics that kills unity. People kill unity. The trouble arises when someone wants to be "right" when there isn't a "right". There are different views and different ways of looking at and examining things.

I think what kills unity is that we don't see ourselves as compatriots anymore. Tribal identity is not defined by political opinion rather than something more concrete and unchanging.

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Tue May 17 10:39:58 2022
    I s'pose this is a little like splitting hairs... but the wacky woke people, and poisonous politically correct is more like the new
    evangelism than religon. They're pushing that agenda hard, but there's a lot more diversity in the groups that do it. I feel the major problem with them is that their happy to persecute publicly anyone that doesn't agree with them. In some ways they seem to have also picked up from the old political arguments, socialism vs capitalism, neo-nazi types...
    giving those so inclined something to "believe" in and push the barrow giving them something to fill their time with and feel self important about.

Spec

When your world-view is based on beliefs rather than concrete evidence, you kind of have to persecute. Your tribal identity and power and social standing, predicates on these beliefs, is at threat if people notice things to the contrary. Your narrative about how the world was formed, how it should be developed.

It is evangelism, but that how new religions spread. A new moral order, a new way of framing things to overturn the corrupt older one. The promise of salvation, of a better world. Cleansing the world of old sins. Shunning the heretics, who obviously don't believe because they are corrupt of soul. Getting people to renunciate their heresies.

If you read history, you'll find in older societies (say Classical Greece, Rome, Middle Ages) political ideologies didn't exist. There were political ideas, but people don't structure ideologies. Machiavelli just wrote about Florentine politics. Religion filled that instinct, but with that gone, politics and "big ideas" replaced it.

• From Blue White@21:4/134 to Ogg on Mon May 16 16:20:57 2022

I am not certain of the number of years they have to serve first, but the
    US is the same way. Add to that what some former Congresspeople and, IIRC, some Presidents charge for giving speeches after they leave office and
    you've got a pretty good payday for not much time served.

... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From StormTrooper@21:2/108 to boraxman on Mon May 16 23:35:37 2022
    It is evangelism, but that how new religions spread. A new moral order,
    a new way of framing things to overturn the corrupt older one. The promise of salvation, of a better world. Cleansing the world of old
    sins. Shunning the heretics, who obviously don't believe because they
    are corrupt of soul. Getting people to renunciate their heresies.

I think I preferred the early days computer evangelism.

ST

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Ogg on Mon May 16 07:05:00 2022
    Ogg wrote to Spectre <=-

How long are terms of office? 2 years? At that rate, you'd need to
    stage a re-election to get to the 3 year mark.

I worked in an environment with pensions, and unlike your example,
    there was a sliding scale with a 5-year floor. People spent entire
    careers trying to keep their heads down and not make waves in order to
    retire with as much of a pension as possible. Not much of a career in
    the process, unfortunately.

... It is simply a matter of work
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Mon May 16 07:08:00 2022
    boraxman wrote to Accession <=-

I always thought the deal with Fidonet was that you would subscribe to
    the Echo's you were interested in, and each one of those was its own 'community'.

That was true, while people cruised all of the echo like they do
    now, there were some people who just read an echo or two - keeping in
    mind that the message traffic was torrential compared to now. You
    could spend all day keeping up with a couple of echoes.

... It's cyber hurricane season, and everywhere is Florida
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed May 18 10:20:50 2022
    I always thought the deal with Fidonet was that you would subscribe t the Echo's you were interested in, and each one of those was its own 'community'.

That was true, while people cruised all of the echo like they do
    now, there were some people who just read an echo or two - keeping in
    mind that the message traffic was torrential compared to now. You
    could spend all day keeping up with a couple of echoes.

Was there a lot of spam?

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Wed May 18 06:57:00 2022
    boraxman wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Was there a lot of spam?

None. I'm trying to remember when that first usenet SPAM post
    happened, was it '94?

... Take away the elements in order of apparent non-importance
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Accession on Fri May 20 16:05:30 2022
    On 15 May 2022 at 07:55a, Accession pondered and said...

While I don't think there's too many here, or in most of the othernets
    out there, you definitely don't need an echomail report to see which
    areas are used and which ones aren't. From what I've seen, getting too specific seems to draw people away from those and back into the general echos.

Yes it's up and down at the moment but then so is everything going on around the planet eh? :)

That said, you could always use Fidonet as a prime example, with
    probably well over 200 echos (depending on who you link with) and only maybe 20 used by actual people and not robots. ;)

Yep :)

Thanks for the reply, nice to see you active Nick :)

• From Accession@21:1/200 to Avon on Fri May 20 12:35:25 2022
    On 20 May 2022, Avon said the following...

Thanks for the reply, nice to see you active Nick :)

I'm usually around somewhere, just don't always write messages. :)

Regards,
    Nick

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Accession on Sat May 21 14:07:24 2022
    On 20 May 2022 at 12:35p, Accession pondered and said...

I'm usually around somewhere, just don't always write messages. :)

I wish I could say the same but at least I'm still around :)

• From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Boraxman on Sat May 21 08:15:06 2022
    BY: boraxman(21:1/101)

Yeah, we're pretty sceptical about pollies. One thing I like about Australia is we don't do those big political rallies with flags and all
    that hoo-ha like the Americans do. You won't see crowds cheering anyone
    at a political rally. We're far more sedate about such things.
    One thing great about the Westminster type systems, is the elections are quick. Our politics in America is more like a major league baseball season. I would like the elections condensed to more of a 6 month process than a 18 month saga.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Utopian Galt on Mon May 23 00:34:30 2022
    Yeah, we're pretty sceptical about pollies. One thing I like about Australia is we don't do those big political rallies with flags and all that hoo-ha like the Americans do. You won't see crowds cheering anyon at a political rally. We're far more sedate about such things.
    One thing great about the Westminster type systems, is the elections are quick. Our politics in America is more like a major league baseball season. I would like the elections condensed to more of a 6 month
    process than a 18 month saga.

--- WWIV 5.5.1.3261

Oh yes, they can be quite quick. The election is called (they aren't at fixed times), and we have some annoying TV ads for several weeks, and thats it. We usually find out within a day or two who has one an thats it. We had the election Saturday, and by Saturday night it was clear who had won.

Thats it.

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to boraxman on Mon May 23 01:23:00 2022
    Oh yes, they can be quite quick. The election is called (they aren't at fixed times), and we have some annoying TV ads for several weeks, and thats it. We usually find out within a day or two who has one an thats

Ahh kinda, we do have 3 year terms... but they can call an election any time they feel like having one.. usually it'll be between 2-3 years depending on
    how the opinion polls are travelling. I don't recall how far in advance they can announce one, and they can then advertise until the last week? But we do tend to get it all over and done with pretty quickly as you've mentioned.

What I'd like to see, is not only the breakdown of valid votes, but how many votes for the Donkey went down at this election.

Spec

• From boraxman@21:1/101 to Spectre on Mon May 23 11:25:25 2022
    Oh yes, they can be quite quick. The election is called (they aren't fixed times), and we have some annoying TV ads for several weeks, and thats it. We usually find out within a day or two who has one an tha

Ahh kinda, we do have 3 year terms... but they can call an election any time they feel like having one.. usually it'll be between 2-3 years depending on how the opinion polls are travelling. I don't recall how
    far in advance they can announce one, and they can then advertise until the last week? But we do tend to get it all over and done with pretty quickly as you've mentioned.

What I'd like to see, is not only the breakdown of valid votes, but how many votes for the Donkey went down at this election.

Spec

I don't believe that report the informal votes, but you may be able to deduce it from the adding the total number of counted votes and subtracting it from to total number of voters in that electorate, if you can get that data.

The number of informal votes I heard, from perhaps not a very reliable source is up to 20%.

• From Blue White@21:4/134 to boraxman on Mon May 23 16:05:01 2022
    Oh yes, they can be quite quick. The election is called (they aren't
    at fixed times), and we have some annoying TV ads for several weeks,
    and thats it. We usually find out within a day or two who has one an thats it. We had the election Saturday, and by Saturday night it was clear who had won.

That last part is similar to the US. Our election dates are set, however,
    and the part that usually strings out to the length of a sportsing season
    is the political TV ad season.

We also have primaries, where you narrow the candidates down to one per
    party. For national elections, those can start 9 months or so before the general election, which extends the TV ad season out to well over a year.

... Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine?
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Geri Atricks@21:4/102 to StormTrooper on Mon May 16 19:16:45 2022

Mac vs PC or *nix vs Windows? :)
    ---

Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/09/29 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Legends of Yesteryear (furmenservices.net:23322) (21:4/102)
  • From Ford Prefect@21:3/163 to Geri Atricks on Sun May 29 12:13:54 2022
    Re: Re: Politics echo
    By: Geri Atricks to StormTrooper on Mon May 16 2022 07:16 pm

Ouch. This is a very difficult argument. :) Mac versus PC, pretty much the same thing (just differing use-cases). But, when we talk about server operating systems, that's when we can play the game of *nix versus Windows Server.

Brian Klauss (Ford Prefect)
    42bytes.net a Synchronet BBS
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: 42bytes - 42bytes.net - Don't Panic! (21:3/163)
  • From StormTrooper@21:2/108 to Geri Atricks on Mon May 30 02:21:59 2022

Thats johnny come lately stuff... the real evangelism was trash80 vs commode
    vs Apple Choo... maybe up until about the PC and XTs arrival..

ST

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Geri Atricks on Mon May 30 23:57:02 2022

---

DR DOS vs MS DOS
    Lotus 123 vs Excel
    Sound Blaster vs Gravis Ultrasound

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to boraxman on Mon May 30 07:48:00 2022
    boraxman wrote to Geri Atricks <=-

DR DOS vs MS DOS
    Lotus 123 vs Excel
    Sound Blaster vs Gravis Ultrasound

OS/2 versus Windows!

... Abandon desire
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to Geri Atricks on Mon May 30 10:23:00 2022
    Am 16.05.22 schrieb Geri Atricks@21:4/102 in FSX_GEN:

Hallo Geri,

OS/2 vs. Windows!
    NetWare vs. WinNT!
    Amiga vs. Atari!
    vi(m) vs. emacs!

:)

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.56
    * Origin: Imzadi Box Point (21:3/127.1)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to acn on Thu Jun 16 10:56:00 2022
    vi(m) vs. emacs!

vs Joe for those with semi-proficiency in antique wordstar commands. :)

Spec

• From acn@21:3/127.1 to Spectre on Sat Jun 18 17:34:00 2022
    Am 16.06.22 schrieb Spectre@21:3/101 in FSX_GEN:

Hallo Spectre,

vi(m) vs. emacs!
    vs Joe for those with semi-proficiency in antique wordstar
    commands. :)

Oh yes, that's right :)
    As my first editors on DOS also used WordStar keys, I still know some
    ^KB, ^KK, ^KC :)

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.56
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to acn on Mon Jun 20 09:19:00 2022
    acn wrote to Geri Atricks <=-

OS/2 vs. Windows!
    NetWare vs. WinNT!

Oh, those two arguments got so much activity in the 90s. I was a OS/2-
    Netware guy, so I'm 0 for 2.

... Remember quiet evenings
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Spectre on Mon Jun 20 09:20:00 2022
    Spectre wrote to acn <=-

vi(m) vs. emacs!

Joe uses Crtl-K bindings? Cool! I still use Qedit and VDE in DOSBOX for my BBSing, good to know I may have some path forward on Linux.

... Overtly resist change
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Gamgee@21:2/138 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jun 20 19:11:00 2022
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Spectre <=-

Joe uses Crtl-K bindings? Cool! I still use Qedit and VDE in
    DOSBOX for my BBSing, good to know I may have some path forward
    on Linux.

With Linux, all paths lead forward. ;-)

... I was wondering why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From acn@21:3/127.1 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Jun 21 15:55:00 2022
    Am 20.06.22 schrieb poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 in FSX_GEN:

Hallo poindexter,

OS/2 vs. Windows!
    NetWare vs. WinNT!

Oh, those two arguments got so much activity in the 90s. I was a OS/2- Netware guy, so I'm 0 for 2.

I've also used OS/2 and administered NetWare networks in the 90s and
    early 2000s, so count me in, too ;-)

My knowledge of NetWare helped me to get my first job in 2006, as I
    started at a small company that had been a NetWare 'silver' partner.

Regards,
    Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.56
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Jun 22 17:37:00 2022
    Joe uses Crtl-K bindings? Cool! I still use Qedit and VDE in DOSBOX for my BBSing, good to know I may have some path forward on Linux.

It surely does. You'll need to install it yourself probably, nano and vim
    are usually the default installs.

Once upon a time I had some antique version of qedit, that was simply q.exe
    not qedit.exe. I got so used to it that later versions of qedit I renamed to
    q, and even in my linux installs, I have links for joe to q :)

Spec