• Terminal programs

From Nightfox@21:1/137 to claw on Thu Apr 28 08:48:53 2022
    Re: Re: Windows vs Linux
    By: claw to boraxman on Thu Apr 28 2022 08:12 am

Nice The first Terminal program I has was Telix! Then Terminate came along. With the wider view and better scroll back options. Couldn't beat

That's cool.
    The first terminal program I used was Procomm Plus (I got a copy from someone else who used it). I had also used Telix a bit, but I eventually settled on Telemate as my favorite terminal program. I think one reason I liked Telemate is that it had a couple of things it could do while you're on a BBS waiting for file transfers & such - It had a CD player control so you could play a music CD in your CD-ROM drive with it while you're on a BBS, and I think it also had a text editor feature, where it would show a window where you could load and edit text files while you're on a BBS.

I thought Telix was pretty good too. But recently I tried to use Telix from DOSBox to call some BBSes, and it seemed to have some serious problems rendering ANSI.. I was wondering if the problem was with DOSBox, as I remember Telix working fairly well on an actual DOS PC back in the day. I also tried Telemate in DOSBox, and Telemate worked a lot better from DOSBox.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 28 17:47:10 2022
    Re: Terminal programs
    By: Nightfox to claw on Thu Apr 28 2022 08:48 am

The first terminal program I used was Procomm Plus (I got a copy from someone else who used it). I had also used Telix a bit, but I eventually settled on Telemate as my favorite terminal program. I think one reason I liked Telemate is that it had a couple of things it could do while you're on a BBS waiting for file transfers & such - It had a CD player control so you could play a music CD in your CD-ROM drive with it while you're on a BBS, and I think it also had a text editor feature, where it would show a window where you could load and edit text files while you're on a BBS.

Yep. The terminal emulation was so-so. I'd end up going back and forth between Telemate and Telix, but still needed an old copy of Procomm Plus version 2 for work, since no one else did a decent VT102 terminal/key emulation.
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 28 22:44:04 2022
    On 27 Apr 2022, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

I'll have to settle for running Telix in DOSBOX, setting the speed to 38400 and hearing that connect alert sound that reminds me of the 90s.

I had forgotten all about that connect alert sound! I just used DOSBOX to save it to a .wav file.

I then converted it to an .m4r & used iTunes to load it onto my iPhone. Now when I get a text message I'll hear the Telix connect alert (whenever I don't have my phone set to vibrate only, which isn't very often).

.wav, .mp3 & .m4r versions:
    https://www.nrbbs.net/telix_connect.zip

Jay

... Drop your carrier ...we have you surrounded!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 28 22:52:02 2022
    The first terminal program I used was Procomm Plus (I got a copy from someone else who used it). I had also used Telix a bit, but I
    eventually settled on Telemate as my favorite terminal program. I think one reason I liked Telemate is that it had a couple of things it could
    do while you're on a BBS waiting for file transfers & such - It had a CD player control so you could play a music CD in your CD-ROM drive with it while you're on a BBS, and I think it also had a text editor feature, where it would show a window where you could load and edit text files while you're on a BBS.

wow that is cool. could it play mods?

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |04(|14Noverdu.com|04)
    |10Standard Ports for SSH/Telnet Web/HTTP://|14Noverdu.com:808
    |22|01fsxNet/MRC Chat/Registered Doors!/50Nodes/No Time Use! Stay On!|16|07

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to claw on Fri Apr 29 09:14:33 2022
    Re: Re: Terminal programs
    By: claw to Nightfox on Thu Apr 28 2022 10:52 pm

eventually settled on Telemate as my favorite terminal program. I
    think one reason I liked Telemate is that it had a couple of things
    it could do while you're on a BBS waiting for file transfers & such
    - It had a CD player control so you could play a music CD in your

wow that is cool. could it play mods?

Not that I remember, no. But I didn't actually know about the mod music format back then, so I wouldn't have thought to check.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)