• Raspberry Pi OS

From The Millionaire@21:1/183 to All on Wed Apr 20 13:48:59 2022
    I didn't know there was a Raspberry Pi OS.

$ The Millionaire $
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From McDoob@21:4/135 to The Millionaire on Wed Apr 20 17:28:02 2022

It used to be called Raspbian, and it has been around since at least when the Pi 3 was released. It's basically Debian Linux, recompiled for ARM chips.

McDoob
    SysOp, PiBBS
    pibbs.sytes.net

... As a matter of fact, it IS a banana in my pocket!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: PiBBS (21:4/135)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to The Millionaire on Wed Apr 20 16:42:35 2022
    Re: Raspberry Pi OS
    By: The Millionaire to All on Wed Apr 20 2022 01:48 pm

Like any computer, a Raspberry Pi needs an OS to make it useful.. I'd heard of Raspbian, and after a quick Google search, it looks like Raspbian was renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS". From what I've heard, it's a Linux distribution.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 20 19:09:39 2022
    Like any computer, a Raspberry Pi needs an OS to make it useful.. I'd heard of Raspbian, and after a quick Google search, it looks like Raspbian was renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS". From what I've heard, it's a Linux distribution.

It’s not a rename, it’s a branch, though the 32-bit version I think has only cosmetic differences. If I remember right, the author didn’t like something about what was happening with the 64-bit version so he wouldn’t allow them to use the name Raspbian.

But that’s all off of memory of something I didn’t really care about when I read it. I think he explains it on the Raspbian website.

- Andre
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (21:3/117)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Andre on Wed Apr 20 17:43:28 2022
    Re: Raspberry Pi OS
    By: Andre to Nightfox on Wed Apr 20 2022 07:09 pm

Like any computer, a Raspberry Pi needs an OS to make it useful.. I'd
    heard of Raspbian, and after a quick Google search, it looks like
    Raspbian was renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS". From what I've heard, it's
    a Linux distribution.

It’s not a rename, it’s a branch, though the 32-bit version I think has only cosmetic differences. If I remember right, the author didn’t

Are you sure it's a branch? I looked it up, and the Raspberry Pi OS web site says "Raspberry Pi OS (previously called Raspbian)". Makes it sound like it's a rename..
    https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Andre@21:3/117 to Nightfox on Wed Apr 20 19:58:56 2022
    Are you sure it's a branch? I looked it up, and the Raspberry Pi OS web site says "Raspberry Pi OS (previously called Raspbian)". Makes it sound like it's a rename.. https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

"raspberry pi 32-bit OS" = raspbian base userland + raspberry pi kernels (32-bit and 64-bit) + raspberry pi UI and graphics stack enhancements + raspberry pi additional software

"raspberry pi 64-bit OS" = debian arm64 base userland + raspberry pi 64-bit kernel + raspberry pi UI and graphics stack enhancements + raspberry pi additional software

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=275380&sid=1a468f226394ccdd f4654a3d3d90cb7d#p1668466

The Raspbian people also made a statement to Tom's Hardware awhile back...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-os-no-longer-raspbian

"Raspbian is an independent open-source project, which maintains a rebuild of the Debian armhf port modified to run on armv6 hardware. Starting from an armhf bootstrap, NEON fastpaths and a small number of armv7-only scalar instructions are removed through build settings). Using Raspbian allows us to take advantage of the hardware floating point unit on the original BCM2835 AP, which using the "official" Debian armel port wouldn't.

So when we say 'Raspbian image' what we mean is 'our Raspberry Pi operating system image built using the Raspbian repos', but what people hear is 'Raspbian is the name of Raspberry Pi's operating system.'

This confusion is fairly harmless, until you get to 64-bit. The 64-bit equivalent of 'Raspbian' is 'the Debian arm64 port.' It isn't 'Raspbian' or 'Raspbian64' or anything like that. So we're overdue for an actual name for the OS, and we're taking the opportunity to clear up the confusion around the 32-bit OS at the same time."
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Radio Mentor BBS - bbs.radiomentor.org (21:3/117)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to The Millionaire on Wed Apr 20 20:03:24 2022

There is quite a few versions of it and there is even a PC version. Its Debian so if you are a fan of that then its clean light and has decent repositories.

DrClaw
    Sysop Noverdu BBS (Noverdu.com)
    BBS Specs 64 CORE/192G Ram/Dell Server

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)