• Re: Music echo

From Avon@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 11:04:35 2022
    On 05 Mar 2022 at 11:11a, Nightfox pondered and said...

and this highlights a problem as I see it, when new echos are added m pref is to add all nodes to it, so sub them in and they unsub if they don't want it... to do it the other way means many nodes that may be and perhaps running on auto for a good chunk of time will never know stuff exists.

As a node, I still didn't know those new echos existed until someone mentioned them. But if there was anything in my logs saying there were unrecognized echos, I may have missed that in my logs.

Hmm OK. Yeah I favour adding nodes by default to new echos created else some on auto minus an active sysop would never even know they were there once created at the hub. I can see merits in a monthly BOT post to somewhere also promoting the echos... thing is they are in the nodelist and infopack hatched every week too :(

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Avon on Sat Apr 16 18:50:43 2022
    Re: Re: Music echo
    By: Avon to Nightfox on Sun Apr 17 2022 11:04 am

Hmm OK. Yeah I favour adding nodes by default to new echos created else some on auto minus an active sysop would never even know they were there once created at the hub. I can see merits in a monthly BOT post to somewhere also promoting the echos... thing is they are in the nodelist and infopack hatched every week too :(

I'm not in the habit of looking at info packs every week when they're hatched.. I might not notice that unless I actively decide to check out any new info packs that I might have received. It seems message networks don't add new echos very often, so it's not something I've thought to do.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to All on Sun Apr 17 01:13:21 2022
    On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:11:11 -0800
    "Nightfox" <nightfox@21:1/137> wrote:

Re: Re: Music echo
    By: Avon to Nightfox on Sat Mar 05 2022 01:40 pm

I didn't know FSXNet had a music echo. I'd like to add it.

and this highlights a problem as I see it, when new echos are
    added my pref is to add all nodes to it, so sub them in and they
    unsub if they don't want it... to do it the other way means many
    nodes that may be setup and perhaps running on auto for a good
    chunk of time will never know other stuff exists.

As a node, I still didn't know those new echos existed until someone mentioned them. But if there was anything in my logs saying there
    were unrecognized echos, I may have missed that in my logs.

That is why FSX needs its own sysop area with minimum piffle so that announcements about new echoes don't get lost in the dross of every day conversation.

One thing I do is send an area and filefix to every network I'm part of
    request a list of areas and those I'm linked to so I can complain, and
    it also gives me a chance to bitch at network owners or hubs that
    either don't respond or that I cannot connect to.

Some are repeat offenders and as much as I would like to carry them,
    it shouldn't be my job to make sure a hub owner keeps his stuff in
    working order.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Avon on Sun Apr 17 13:21:00 2022
    Hello Avon!

** On Sunday 17.04.22 - 11:04, Avon wrote to Nightfox:

..I can see merits in a monthly BOT post to somewhere also
    promoting the echos... thing is they are in the nodelist
    and infopack hatched every week too :(

But the nodelist and infopack require extra work to look at.
    If the new stuff was announced in an echo, that would be more
    convenient.

--- OpenXP 5.0.51
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Nigel Reed on Sun Apr 17 19:39:00 2022
    I didn't know FSXNet had a music echo. I'd like to add it.

and this highlights a problem as I see it, when new echos are added my pref is to add all nodes to it, so sub them in and they unsub
    if they don't want it... to do it the other way means many nodes that may be setup and perhaps running on auto for a good chunk of time will never know other stuff exists.

That is why FSX needs its own sysop area with minimum piffle so that announcements about new echoes don't get lost in the dross of every day conversation.

I'm probably in the minority as usual :) I'm not sure more echos achieve anything of consequence. They tend to dilute the information flow. I only read general, I did pursue a few of the "new" echoes not long after they appeared, but they appeared to be incapable of supporting themselves and I
    just gave away reading them.

I also don't look at the info packs, just plod on with what I've got running, extended nodelists have no value to me, its not like I can support netmail,
    and more new echoes, meh.

In short I'm happy with network info flowing past in general.. moving info to new locations makes it harder to find.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: The future's uncertain, the end is always near. (21:3/101)