• NET 4 Changes

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun Mar 17 14:13:17 2024
    Hi guys

The current NET 4 HUB run by Dan aka Black Panther is to soon be retired.

Dan is super busy with the demands of day to day life and BBSing has had to take a bit of a back seat for now. I want to thanks Dan so much for all the contributions he has made to fsxNet and in the hosting and admin of the NET 4 HUB he has done over the year. Dan, it's really appreciated thank you :) My hope is we see you active in BBSing again sometime soon.

In the meantime Dan has kindly supplied me with the HUB config settings and BBS node configs for fsxNet BBS using the current NET 4 HUB.

I have been working to setup a mirror HUB hosted on my systems and one that will also be listening for incoming NET 4 node traffic on the port Dan has been using - 24560

My plan is to netmail all NET 4 nodes and let them know the NET 4 HUB is shifting to a new instance hosted by myself. In preparation for the cut-over I am asking all NET 4 nodes to check the domain name they poll for the NET 4 HUB.

Please ensure you are polling net4.fsxnet.nz:24560

When we cut over to the new NET 4 HUB instance I will update the DNS records to point to the new HUB.

I plan to do this on 31 March (my time in New Zealand, or likely to be 30 March elsewhere in the world)... and when I do we will ensure the file and echomail links to the 'old' HUB will be closed down. I'll then ask Dan to shutdown that server.

I'm picking if some sysops who run their BBS on 'auto' then login to find no new traffic on fsxNet they may come calling to me then. We'll that's the thinking..

I am also aware that there are a number of inactive nodes in NET 4 and plan to prune them in early April once the cut over is done. In the meantime I have taken over NET 4 nodelist segment duties and marked a number of nodes a 'Down' that appear to be long inactive based on stats Dan's system is posting each day to the Stats echo.

Once we cut over to the new NET 4 HUB instance I figure I'll know within a few weeks which other inactive nodes can be pruned.

I will x-post this update to both FSX_GEN and FSX_NET

Please use FSX_NET to reply/discuss/any questions etc. thanks :)

Best, Paul

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Avon on Sat Mar 16 22:37:22 2024
    Dan is super busy with the demands of day to day life and BBSing has had to take a bit of a back seat for now. I want to thanks Dan so much for all the contributions he has made to fsxNet and in the hosting and admin of the NET 4 HUB he has done over the year. Dan, it's really appreciated thank you :) My hope is we see you active in BBSing again sometime soon.

One of the best guys in BBSing when I first joined the community. He took me under his wing and taught me MPL coding and allowed this greenhorn to join his modding crew. :P

In the meantime Dan has kindly supplied me with the HUB config settings and BBS node configs for fsxNet BBS using the current NET 4 HUB.

I have been working to setup a mirror HUB hosted on my systems and one that will also be listening for incoming NET 4 node traffic on the port Dan has been using - 24560

If you need any help from Portland, OR I'd always be willing to host
    anything needed. I'm not very knowledgeable with FTNs, but have many friends and support in the community.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to paulie420 on Sun Mar 17 19:46:43 2024
    I'll reply over in FSX_NET :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From deon@21:2/116 to Avon on Mon Mar 18 08:36:53 2024
    Re: Re: NET 4 Changes
    By: Avon to paulie420 on Sun Mar 17 2024 07:46 pm

I'll reply over in FSX_NET :)

I think you tried to reply - I just got messed up messages... :)

...лоеп
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Mar 30 21:23:04 2024
    On 28 Mar 2024 at 10:40a, Avon pondered and said...

On 17 Mar 2024 at 02:13p, Avon pondered and said...

Please ensure you are polling net4.fsxnet.nz:24560

another reminder if you are a NET 4 node please ensure you have the above domain name and port set up to poll the 21:4/100 HUB.

When we cut over to the new NET 4 HUB instance I will update the DNS records to point to the new HUB.

I plan to do this on 31 March (my time in New Zealand, or likely to b 30 March elsewhere in the world)... and when I do we will ensure the file and echomail links to the 'old' HUB will be closed down. I'll th ask Dan to shutdown that server.

this is coming the in the next few days.

I'm picking if some sysops who run their BBS on 'auto' then login to find no new traffic on fsxNet they may come calling to me then. We'll that's the thinking..

I am also aware that there are a number of inactive nodes in NET 4 an plan to prune them in early April once the cut over is done. In the meantime I have taken over NET 4 nodelist segment duties and marked a number of nodes a 'Down' that appear to be long inactive based on sta Dan's system is posting each day to the Stats echo.

..as is this :)

Final call, all NET 4 nodes.. ding ding...

OK folks I'm starting the change over process now, so this will mean some niggles for active NET 4 nodes over the coming 24 hours.

Shortly I will be de-linking NET 1 from the 'old' NET 4 HUB and updating the DNS records for net4.fsxnet.nz to point to the new of NET 4 instance I will be running. I'll also link NET 1 to this new version of the NET 4 HUB.

If you're a NET 4 node and have net4.fsxnet.nz:24560 set up then over the coming 24 hours as DNS records change over you should start to hit the new version of the HUB and (hopefully) have no issues polling in to collect/send packets etc.

If you're a NET 4 node and continue to poll and/or send packets to the 'old' NET 4 HUB you're traffic is only going to go to those nodes in NET 4 who remain linked to the old HUB. All the other HUBs will / already are shortly to be delinked from that 'old' HUB.

If you're a NET 4 node and having issues getting hooked up to the new instance of the NET 4 HUB please email me avon@bbs.nz and I'll work with you to get hooked up.

In the coming 2 weeks once the cut over has occurred I plan to revisit the NET 4 nodelist segment and prune it where necessary.

I'll also work to start posting some stats from the NET 4 system I have spun up but that's a secondary priority at the moment.

x-posting this to FSX_NET and FSX_GEN

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sat Mar 30 22:52:56 2024
    On 30 Mar 2024 at 09:23p, Avon pondered and said...

OK folks I'm starting the change over process now, so this will mean some niggles for active NET 4 nodes over the coming 24 hours.

Shortly I will be de-linking NET 1 from the 'old' NET 4 HUB and updating the DNS records for net4.fsxnet.nz to point to the new of NET 4 instance
    I will be running. I'll also link NET 1 to this new version of the NET 4 HUB.

now underway, changing from 72.24.172.12 to now pointed to 103.193.138.76

NET 4 nodes need to point to port 24560 on this new IP address, so

net4.fsxnet.nz:24560

Shortly I will be de-linking NET 1 from the 'old' NET 4 HUB and updating

This has been done, in the process I may have accidentally deleted FSX_GEN and FSX_DAT from the now retired HUB. Turns out my delink commands were being taken as a 'delete' command - eek! But the rest of the echos have been paused on the old HUB so no further traffic is flowing into the NET 1 HUB from that old system now.

The new NET 4 HUB has been started up and nodes that were linked to their chosen echos in NET 4 are being fed by this system now.

If you're a NET 4 node and having issues getting hooked up to the new instance of the NET 4 HUB please email me avon@bbs.nz and I'll work with you to get hooked up.

In the coming 2 weeks once the cut over has occurred I plan to revisit
    the NET 4 nodelist segment and prune it where necessary.

I'll also work to start posting some stats from the NET 4 system I have spun up but that's a secondary priority at the moment.

still to do.