• Life, don't talk to me about life.

From Spectre@21:3/101 to All on Mon Dec 4 13:08:00 2023
    Hmm so I've been missing in action for about a week. I acquired an i7 box to replace the old Core2 Quad with, pretty much only because steam is expiring Win7/8 support and #1 son keeps trying to buy me odd games and stuff off of
    it.

First time round for looking at Win10.. I used a rather antique install
    image, which like Win7 used to, needed its updater updated to be able to update, so not much changes. Have to say I'm not liking it much though. I'm hating the windows with a look that seems to have been inherited from the
    80s.. and Edge so bound up in everything.

Took a while to sort thunderbird out, its default behaviour here is much different to Win7. I've not been able to get SynchTerm talking to TLP, or ThunderBird for local mail services either, in both cases I'm probably going
    to have to get the Win7 box back up and check what I did, in terms and
    address and port. I really don't remember at this point. Not sure how I've ended up with black text in the task bar either, makes it a tad hard to read.

On the plus side it does have two slightly better video cards doing crossfire so video performance is somewhat better although still lacking at 1080p with any real load. 720p tends to be pretty usable though. So if I ignore it
    being Win10 and just consider what its meant to do its doing what it needs
    to.

On an entirely different note... I'm wondering if there's some way I could
    use screen redirection of some sort in DOS and just run the entire BBS in
    local mode bypassing the FOSSIL requirements, as the performance is just so much better. I'm using VNC as I'm typing this. I guess it won't do any kind
    of file transfer but it can't now with the FOSSIL/TCP foibles in play.

#1 Son decided to buy himself a brand new system.. its a Ryzen9 of some description. So I've had a week of running support on one of these fangled modular power supply setups I've never seen before, while he runs out of patience trying to get it all together.. I say bought a system, but it was really a collection of parts with assembly required. Glad that's done.

Been trying to string some christmas lights up across the front of the house. not paid much attention to it before, and wasn't really thinking about it,
    but the fascia is all colourbond steel. So trying to get hooks into it has become a saga in itself. At this point it's probably going to turn into something like self adhesive cable tie mounts to get them strung. In some practice sheeting it doesn't seem to matter what size hole I put in the hooks won't bite.. I had 2mm handy, although the hooks said 2.4mm (Weird size),
    tried 9/32s imperial, which comes out to 2.38mm I'm guessing thats what the hooks really are, and also 2.5mm but its really pushing uphill to try and get them in, although they are also really meant for timber. <shrug>

For the first time in about 5 years, managed to send some cards out. Didn't have a heap to send before, but they've really shrunk now. Between lost addresses and deceased relo's its down to a handful. Only had the cards on hand for 2 years or so.. they got lost last year.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to Spectre on Mon Dec 4 21:23:00 2023
    Hello Spectre!

** On Monday 04.12.23 - 13:08, Spectre wrote to All:

...I'm using VNC as I'm typing this. I guess it won't do any
    kind of file transfer but it can't now with the FOSSIL/TCP foibles in
    play.

VNC most certainly *does* do file transfers. In the top menu,
    look for the icon that looks like two documents.

--- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: (} Pointy McPointFace (21:4/106.21)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Ogg on Tue Dec 5 15:08:00 2023
    ...I'm using VNC as I'm typing this. I guess it won't do any kind
    of file transfer but it can't now with the FOSSIL/TCP foibles in
    play.

VNC most certainly *does* do file transfers. In the top menu, look
    for the icon that looks like two documents.

What I was trying to cover, would be the inability of the BBS to do transfers in this mode, if I was able to use some kind of screen redirection rather
    than fossil. None of the on board transfer systems would work, they'd all be trying to talk to a non-existant serial port.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Ogg on Tue Dec 5 09:08:14 2023
    Re: Life, don't talk to me about life.
    By: Ogg to Spectre on Mon Dec 04 2023 09:23 pm

VNC most certainly *does* do file transfers. In the top menu, look for the icon that looks like two documents.

I think that depends on the client & server VNC software you're using. I've seen at least one VNC client that supports file transfers, but others that don't.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Spectre on Tue Dec 5 11:23:45 2023
    By: Spectre to Ogg on Tue Dec 05 2023 03:08 pm

...I'm using VNC as I'm typing this. I guess it won't do any kind of file transfer but it can't now with the FOSSIL/TCP foibles in play.

VNC most certainly *does* do file transfers. In the top menu, look for the icon that looks like two documents.

What I was trying to cover, would be the inability of the BBS to do transfers in this mode, if I was able to use some kind of screen redirection rather
    than fossil. None of the on board transfer systems would work, they'd all be trying to talk to a non-existant serial port.

Yeah, but at least the "drop to DOS" function would work! :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #30:
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
    Norco, CA WX: 79.9øF, 24.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Nightfox on Tue Dec 5 13:23:42 2023
    By: Nightfox to Ogg on Tue Dec 05 2023 09:08 am

By: Ogg to Spectre on Mon Dec 04 2023 09:23 pm

I think that depends on the client & server VNC software you're using. I've seen at least one VNC client that supports file transfers, but others that don't.

I think the OP was referring to traditional BBS file transfers (e.g. X/Y/ZMODEM downloads of files from the BBS's file areas).
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #46:
    ISDN = Integrated Services Digital Network
    Norco, CA WX: 82.3øF, 21.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Digital Man on Tue Dec 5 15:36:51 2023
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Tue Dec 05 2023 01:23 pm

VNC most certainly *does* do file transfers. In the top menu, look for
    the icon that looks like two documents.

I think that depends on the client & server VNC software you're using.
    I've seen at least one VNC client that supports file transfers, but others
    that don't.

I think the OP was referring to traditional BBS file transfers (e.g. X/Y/ZMODEM downloads of files from the BBS's file areas).

Yeah, I hadn't seen that message yet when I wrote my response.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)