• 2600 Magazine and BBS Day

From Adept@21:2/108 to All on Fri Nov 3 00:00:27 2023
    I know these things have been covered before, but I was looking at 2600, Volume Forty, Number One, and saw a nifty, on-topic letter:

Dear 2600:
    At the time when I wrote the article on the BBS scene (39:4), I wasn't really familiar with one service that is truly amazing. It is called 2600.netw3ork, a service from a gentleman named Flex. It offers ten phone lines that can be called up which will redirect to various BBSes in the scene. There is no cost to this - all you need is a POTS line and a modem; it will also work on VoIP modems that use an uncompressed codec. I found this to be wholly amazing and figured that I'd add that update.

P.S. There is also a new website promoting the BBS scene. We've made our very own BBS Day (on the anniversary of the initial call to a computerized bulletin board system). You can reach it at www.bbsday.org. Thanks for printing this information. Cheers!
    -warmfuzzy
    (Response from 2600)
    We're both thrilled and inspired by this enthusiasm and appreciation of history.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From hollowone@21:2/150 to Adept on Fri Nov 3 08:07:26 2023
    Yep, Somebody mentioned about that somewhere in this part of BBS world already.

Correct url is I think https://2600.network and the link provides all the info about connectivity options. Sounds cool if somebody is sstill on modem:>

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to hollowone on Sat Nov 4 23:34:33 2023

Yeah, makes sense. Possibly even somewhere around here that I saw, but didn't remember, since I do tend to get around to reading 2600 rather later than I probably should.

But, thankfully, much of the content ends up being fairly time-insensitive.

Correct url is I think https://2600.network and the link provides all
    the info about connectivity options. Sounds cool if somebody is sstill
    on modem:>

Yeah. Probably not super _useful_, but still super cool.

* Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From unc0nnected@21:1/172 to hollowone on Mon Nov 6 20:06:29 2023

Correct url is I think https://2600.network and the link provides all
    the info about connectivity options. Sounds cool if somebody is sstill
    on modem:>

Saw BBS day floating around in a few places, pretty cool. Someone needs to
    let the folks at 2600.network now that their stats graphs are all broken with
    a refused to connect message

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)