• Acts of Kindness

From Dunsen@21:2/150 to All on Fri Sep 8 11:20:45 2023

So, yesterday I was feeling rather lonely. Instead of making the feeling worse, I thought about bringing some lollipops to university to brighten some stranger's day. Gave two pops out: one to a volunteering librarian and one to a professor. It made me feel good about myself.

That made me wonder if other people in the world are being kind. Yeah, social media does show us this already. But, I'm curious.

What did U do (either today, this week, month or year) that was kind? It could be for yourself, friends, family or outright strangers.

"I cannot say I am without fear. But my feeling is one of
    gratitude."
    - Oliver Sacks

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Dunsen on Fri Sep 8 12:42:23 2023
    Re: Acts of Kindness
    By: Dunsen to All on Fri Sep 08 2023 11:20 am

So, yesterday I was feeling rather lonely. Instead of making the feeling worse, I thought about bringing some lollipops to university to brighten some stranger's day. Gave two pops out: one to a volunteering librarian and one to a professor. It made me feel good about myself.

That made me wonder if other people in the world are being kind. Yeah, social media does show us this already. But, I'm curious.

What did U do (either today, this week, month or year) that was kind? It could be for yourself, friends, family or outright strangers.

I like that. I like hearing about acts of kindness.
    I sometimes feel like I should perform more acts of kindness for people. Several years ago, my ex and I went out and bought 20 or 30 hamburgers from a local McDonalds and passed them out to homeless people (the area has a lot of homeless). We didn't have fancier meals prepared, but we wanted to do that that day. It just felt good to do something to help people in some way.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to Dunsen on Fri Sep 8 20:52:24 2023
    On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:20:45 -0700
    "Dunsen" (21:2/150) <Dunsen@f150.n2.z21.fidonet> wrote:

So, yesterday I was feeling rather lonely. Instead of making the
    feeling worse, I thought about bringing some lollipops to university
    to brighten some stranger's day. Gave two pops out: one to a
    volunteering librarian and one to a professor. It made me feel good
    about myself.

That made me wonder if other people in the world are being kind.
    Yeah, social media does show us this already. But, I'm curious.

What did U do (either today, this week, month or year) that was kind?
    It could be for yourself, friends, family or outright strangers.

I generally do my acts of kindness without fanfare. It's not about me,
    it's about the act itself.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Dunsen on Sat Sep 9 18:56:53 2023
    On 08 Sep 2023, Dunsen said the following...

A few years back I was going through the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and someone in front of me paid for my order. Didn't know who they were or why they did it, but it certainly brightened my day.

Since that day, every now & then when going through the drive-thru picking up a coffee I'll pay for the car car behind me "just because". Did that again just last weekend. I hope it brightened their day as well.

Jay

... What do you call a Canadian coffee shop with the lights off? Dim Horton!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From candycane@21:4/141 to Warpslide on Sun Sep 10 11:24:31 2023
    Re: Re: Acts of Kindness
    By: Warpslide to Dunsen on Sat Sep 09 2023 06:56 pm

Since that day, every now & then when going through the drive-thru picking up a coffee I'll pay for the car car behind me "just because". Did that again just last weekend. I hope it brightened their day as well.

That is so nice, I wish more people did it.

candycane

===
    user is generated from /dev/urandom

...The one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception a necessity --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: -=[conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS]=- (21:4/141)
  • From Dunsen@21:2/118 to Nigel Reed on Sun Sep 10 13:20:31 2023

Oh, I understand. Sometimes it is best to keep some kind acts to yourself.
    What I really wanted was some ideas from others stories. It's good to hear other ways of expressing kindness. (Honestly, it's measureless to me!)

Continue being kind Nigel.

- Evan

"I cannot pretend I am without fear. But my predominant feeling is one of gratitude."
    - Oliver Sacks
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Halls of Valhalla -:- hovalbbs.com:2333 (21:2/118)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to Dunsen on Mon Sep 11 08:04:11 2023
    On 08 Sep 2023, Dunsen said the following...

I do try to open doors and do the general kindness for all people around me. I was raised that way. I do what I can when I can. I don't get out as much as I used too. Between work and family I am kept pretty busy and the little time I get free to myself I am either working on my projects, gaming or watching shows. If your getting lonely going out and doing kind acts sounds like a great way to feel better.

Ever consider volunteering?

Many places have missions and other locations where you can help people in a much deeper way.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |20|15Radio|10@|14HTTP://Noverdu.com:88
    |16|10 Standard ports for SSH/Telnet |04 WEB|14@|12HTTP://noverdu.com:808 |20|15Global Chat, Global Messaging and Games! |16|10Ditch the Unsocial Media

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)