• Back at it

From Starstorm@21:3/140 to All on Mon Apr 24 11:53:36 2023
    I'm back, again, seems I do that, disappear for a few months and then am all ready to work on things again.

Life kept me somewhat busy, I was helping my mom, trying to train a mini Doxie pup, and traveled internationally a bit. When I did sit down to work on things, it was mostly my Asterisk server that got my attention. I guess I'm bored of that right now.

I'm definitely looking to add more games on my system, especially if they are InterBBS even if I'm the only one on my end playing them. Never did that before, definitely want the experience of it now. Turns out I already had DOSEMU installed for DOS doors. So I guess I was already planning on it, just never got around to it I guess.

Thinking about getting a Usenet feed, on my last BBS I had two, I know sticking them together was a bad idea. Sorry Paul, I should have known better, I knew how that normally worked, but it didn't cross my mind what I was doing for some reason. I definitely won't ever do anything like that again.

Have some maintenance and cleaning up to do over here, so I'll shut up and stop rambling now.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Ground Control (21:3/140)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Starstorm on Tue Apr 25 19:57:25 2023
    On 24 Apr 2023 at 11:53a, Starstorm pondered and said...

I'm back, again, seems I do that, disappear for a few months and then am all ready to work on things again.

welcome back, nice to see you active in the echos again :)

Life kept me somewhat busy, I was helping my mom, trying to train a mini Doxie pup, and traveled internationally a bit. When I did sit down to
    work on things, it was mostly my Asterisk server that got my attention.
    I guess I'm bored of that right now.

I know how that is, I tend to go through waves of activity in working on some projects then they take a back seat for a period then I circle back to them etc.

I'm definitely looking to add more games on my system, especially if
    they are InterBBS even if I'm the only one on my end playing them. Never did that before, definitely want the experience of it now. Turns out I already had DOSEMU installed for DOS doors. So I guess I was already planning on it, just never got around to it I guess.

coolio, there's 3 running in fsxNet at the moment, info is in the infopack.

Thinking about getting a Usenet feed, on my last BBS I had two, I know sticking them together was a bad idea. Sorry Paul, I should have known better, I knew how that normally worked, but it didn't cross my mind
    what I was doing for some reason. I definitely won't ever do anything
    like that again.

let me know if/when you want another feed and we can suss that out. No probs.

Have some maintenance and cleaning up to do over here, so I'll shut up
    and stop rambling now.

I need to get to a cup of tea I have forgotten I made about 25 mins ago... it will likely be well and truly too strong, I may need to start over.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Starstorm@21:3/140 to Avon on Wed Apr 26 09:41:26 2023
    welcome back, nice to see you active in the echos again :)

Thank you, so much better here than arguing with people on Facebook. I don't understand why people who hate a TV show join a Facebook group for fans of a show, or for that matter, why they have time to watch things they don't enjoy. Someone on Twitter, I think the show runner for season 3 of Star Trek Picard called it "hate watching". He doesn't get it either.

I've gotten to the point, if I think I'm going to be dogpiled for my opinion I comment and walk away and don't read the replies, or I just don't comment at all.

I know how that is, I tend to go through waves of activity in working on some projects then they take a back seat for a period then I circle back to them etc.

I find that I get new ideas if I step away anyway. If I feel like I'm starting to burn out, then I take the time away. Sometimes I fail at an idea and want to pull my hair out, that's also a reason to step away for a bit.

coolio, there's 3 running in fsxNet at the moment, info is in the infopack.

let me know if/when you want another feed and we can suss that out. No probs.

Ah, so both the Usnet feed and the InterBBS games still come from the same feed. I technically don't have a license for BRE or FE at the moment but, Galactic Dynasty I definitely want to set that one up even if I only play it on my board myself.

I need to get to a cup of tea I have forgotten I made about 25 mins
    ago... it will likely be well and truly too strong, I may need to start over.

Reminds me, my tea in the cabinet isn't going to brew itself. Ugh, what is that dang dog barking at this time.

• From Starstorm@21:3/140 to Avon on Wed Apr 26 09:48:00 2023
    let me know if/when you want another feed and we can suss that out. N probs.

Ah, so both the Usnet feed and the InterBBS games still come from the
    same feed. I technically don't have a license for BRE or FE at the
    moment but, Galactic Dynasty I definitely want to set that one up even
    if I only play it on my board myself.

I'm a dummy, I glanced at the files, and saw fh and thought of FE...LMAO yes, I think For Honour will be a good one to add too. Note to self, read the dang text files first.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Starstorm on Wed Apr 26 14:10:34 2023
    I've gotten to the point, if I think I'm going to be dogpiled for my opinion I comment and walk away and don't read the replies, or I just don't comment at all.

Thus why the no politics/religion rule (and general be-kind ethos), the lack of karma things, and the lack of easy meme-ing make this such a better place to be than arguing with random people on the internet.

Or, worse, friends.

Not that debating in person is inherently bad -- generally people are more able to be nuanced, then.

Ah, so both the Usnet feed and the InterBBS games still come from the
    same feed. I technically don't have a license for BRE or FE at the
    moment but, Galactic Dynasty I definitely want to set that one up even
    if I only play it on my board myself.

I purchased licenses for them recently, and like that it's still possible to support some BBS software, even though I can't imagine there's any money to be made in the field.

(not that I'm in the InterBBS games. I figure, unless I'm planning on playing them, better to leave it to other BBSs.)

But I'm glad I'm in a place where I can offer small amounts of money to various projects that I enjoy, or enjoyed in previous years.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Starstorm@21:3/140 to Adept on Wed Apr 26 17:16:12 2023
    Thus why the no politics/religion rule (and general be-kind ethos), the lack of karma things, and the lack of easy meme-ing make this such a better place to be than arguing with random people on the internet.

Or, worse, friends.

Yeah, makes sense. Like, lots of folks have generally forgotten how to be civil. They've forgotten how to "be excellent to each other". A difference of opinion now means you hate or fear something. People also act like their opinion, is absolute fact. Calm down people, be civil.

Friends, yeah, if I ever actually spoke up about how I feel about the world around me, half of my friends would instantly hate me. Someone I know on a Zoom call once said, If I actually spoke up, I would probably blow minds. Yeah I would. LOL

I purchased licenses for them recently, and like that it's still
    possible to support some BBS software, even though I can't imagine
    there's any money to be made in the field.

(not that I'm in the InterBBS games. I figure, unless I'm planning on playing them, better to leave it to other BBSs.)

But I'm glad I'm in a place where I can offer small amounts of money to various projects that I enjoy, or enjoyed in previous years.

I did pay for them a few days ago, heard nothing back yet, but I don't necessarily mind. I'm in no rush. I just feel like, after years of playing some of those games, but never having them on my own BBS, mostly because I couldn't afford it, I decided now I probably should pay for it.

• From Abbub@21:2/145 to Starstorm on Wed Apr 26 17:14:02 2023
    I did pay for them a few days ago, heard nothing back yet, but I don't necessarily mind. I'm in no rush. I just feel like, after years of
    playing some of those games, but never having them on my own BBS,
    mostly because I couldn't afford it, I decided now I probably should
    pay for it.

I bought legit (I think?) licenses for LORD, BRE, and TW2002. The other doors I'm running don't seem to have a path to legitimate licenses anymore.

---
    * Origin: WalledCTTY (21:2/145)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Starstorm on Wed Apr 26 15:41:31 2023
    Starstorm wrote to All <=-

I'm definitely looking to add more games on my system, especially if
    they are InterBBS even if I'm the only one on my end playing them.
    Never did that before, definitely want the experience of it now. Turns
    out I already had DOSEMU installed for DOS doors. So I guess I was
    already planning on it, just never got around to it I guess.

FSX has Galactic Dynasty, For Honour, and BRE.

FIDO has Lordnet League 1.

... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
    --- MultiMail/DOS
    * Origin: possumso.fsxnet.nz * SSH:2122/telnet:24/ftelnet:80 (21:4/134)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Starstorm on Thu Apr 27 10:25:05 2023
    I did pay for them a few days ago, heard nothing back yet, but I don't necessarily mind. I'm in no rush. I just feel like, after years of
    playing some of those games, but never having them on my own BBS, mostly because I couldn't afford it, I decided now I probably should pay for it.

Yeah, it was not a _quick_ process, so waiting a couple of days is not too surprising.

Not that I've even gotten around to _using_ my licenses, but that's a separate issue...

• From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Starstorm on Thu Apr 27 07:37:53 2023
    Starstorm wrote to Avon <=-

Thank you, so much better here than arguing with people on Facebook.

We can argue just as insanely as anyone on Facebook, I assure you. :)

I don't understand why people who hate a TV show join a Facebook group
    for fans of a show, or for that matter, why they have time to watch
    things they don't enjoy.

Trolls have been around longer than Facebook or BBSs.

Hence the common comment of "Don't feed the troll".

... Are you on an ego trip? You forgot your luggage.
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Dr. What on Thu Apr 27 09:13:31 2023

Dr. What around Thursday, April 27th...
    Trolls have been around longer than Facebook or BBSs.

Just a week or so ago a dude made an account on my board just to troll me and others. Trolls are dime a dozzen no matter the platform.

Facebook and Twitter via their algorithms amplify it though.

--
    |08 ■ |12NuSkooler |06// |12Xibalba |08- |07"|06The place of fear|07"
    |08 ■ |03xibalba|08.|03l33t|08.|03codes |08(|0344510|08/|03telnet|08, |0344511|08/|03ssh|08)
    |08 ■ |03ENiGMA 1/2 WHQ |08| |03Phenom |08| |0367 |08| |03iMPURE |08| |03ACiDic
    --- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.14-beta (linux; x64; 16.16.0)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)
  • From Tracker1@21:3/149 to NuSkooler on Thu Apr 27 20:40:24 2023
    Just a week or so ago a dude made an account on my board just to troll me and others. Trolls are dime a dozzen no matter the platform.

Facebook and Twitter via their algorithms amplify it though.

I've been running Twitter on the "Following" tab since it became an option a few months ago... much less noise this way. Of course it also means I miss more stuff, but I don't live on there.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    +o roughneckbbs.com
    tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com (21:3/149)
  • From Abbub@21:2/145 to Nuskooler on Thu Apr 27 17:06:14 2023
    Just a week or so ago a dude made an account on my board just to troll
    me and others. Trolls are dime a dozzen no matter the platform.

Sure, and the advantage that a BBS had back in the day was a relatively small user base (even the big boards were tiny in comparison to Facebook or
    Twitter) and a relatively proactive moderator (the sysop) or group of moderators (message base moderators). The trolliest boards I can remember
    all involved a younger sysop and their group of friends, mostly because
    the SysOp didn't want to moderate their friends. Trolls existed, but for the most part they got beaten back pretty quickly, IME.

---
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Abbub on Fri Apr 28 09:59:03 2023
    Sure, and the advantage that a BBS had back in the day was a relatively small user base (even the big boards were tiny in comparison to Facebook or Twitter) and a relatively proactive moderator (the sysop) or group of moderators (message base moderators). The trolliest boards I can remember

It's interesting how messed up the ability to scale can make things.

On the other hand, I wonder how it was on Compuserv.

But, these days, the mere fact that people aren't out there trying to get rich from BBSing makes things easier. Probably easier to keep things calm amongst hobbyists.

• From Abbub@21:2/145 to Adept on Fri Apr 28 07:52:55 2023

I think CompuServ at it's peak was...3 or 4 million? I think AOL was 10 times that. AOL *definitely* had its fair share of trolls, but I think in both
    cases it wasn't quite the same as it is today. Anyway, I'd much rather be in charge of having to figure out how to moderate 35 million people than 3
    billion people.

In any event, without getting political, I suspect that the real answer is
    that people had more of a veneer of civility about them 30 years ago. Sure
    you had trolls, but to the bulk of the population being a troll was socially unacceptable. I'm not sure that the same is true today.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Abbub on Fri Apr 28 12:51:04 2023
    Re: Re: Back at it
    By: Abbub to Adept on Fri Apr 28 2023 07:52 am

I think CompuServ at it's peak was...3 or 4 million? I think AOL was 10 times that. AOL *definitely* had its fair share of trolls, but I think in both cases it wasn't quite the same as it is today. Anyway, I'd much

CompuServe felt much more professional; I was on it thanks to a support forum my company had, we got a couple of unlimited accounts to play with. With WinCIM, their GUI software, I really liked it for technical info.

...How did you find this place?
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Abbub on Sat Apr 29 08:43:02 2023
    Abbub wrote to Adept <=-

I think CompuServ at it's peak was...3 or 4 million? I think AOL was 10 times that. AOL *definitely* had its fair share of trolls, but I think
    in both cases it wasn't quite the same as it is today.

Compu$erve had a fairly steep learning curve for the time as well as a pretty steep cost. That kept most of the trolls out.

AOhelL was intended to be easy to learn and was much cheaper, hence more trolls.

That was the only place I had a troll directly attack me. tl;dr; He goaded me over many weeks. I responded nicely, but he wore me down and I told him off. He threatened to "complain and get me kicked off". When I told him that I kept a record of all the messages he sent, he was gone. Probably off to bother someone else.

But that gets us to something like Facebook. Easy to use. Cost $0. That immediately allows huge numbers of trolls. But Facebook doesn't do much about them because on Facebook, we, the users, are the product and they deliver our eyeballs to the advertisers.

They want as many people on their platform as possible and only hold the trolls down to the point where others don't leave.

I think a good number of us can remember no longer calling a certain BBS anymore because the trolls were out of control.

... You will be the victim of a bizarre joke.

• From Abbub@21:2/145 to Dr. What on Sat Apr 29 08:37:52 2023
    I think a good number of us can remember no longer calling a certain
    BBS anymore because the trolls were out of control.

I think I may have dodged that particular experience because both of the
    places I was living during the 'BBS era' were pretty small places. I suspect that larger populations had a) more boards and b) more users for the boards that would create the kind of BBS you're talking about. ...or maybe *I* was running the board that no one called. I hope not! :D

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Dr. What on Sat Apr 29 08:01:00 2023
    Dr. What wrote to Abbub <=-

Compu$erve had a fairly steep learning curve for the time as well as a pretty steep cost. That kept most of the trolls out.

I'd forgotten about dial-up Compuserve. The GUI apps were pretty nice.

As I mentioned, I got access for free because my company hosted a
    support forum on CI$. That was great, because back then I was a Novell
    admin, and Novell's support forum back then was primarily on CompuServe.

... Walk without rhythm and you won't attact the worm.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Abbub on Sun Apr 30 09:01:37 2023
    Abbub wrote to Dr. What <=-

I think I may have dodged that particular experience because both of
    the places I was living during the 'BBS era' were pretty small places.
    I suspect that larger populations had a) more boards and b) more users
    for the boards that would create the kind of BBS you're talking about.

I suspect you are correct.

On the BBSs, trolls came and went. When the sysop noticed them, he would lock their account so they couldn't call anymore. On systems with networked message bases, we used offline mail readers and they often had a twit-filter.

I think AOhelL was the when the trolls really started to gain traction since AOhelL didn't want to kick them off as they were paying customers.

... Please affix a 29-cent stamp on your next message.

• From Dr. What@21:1/616 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Apr 30 09:01:37 2023
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Dr. What <=-

I'd forgotten about dial-up Compuserve. The GUI apps were pretty nice.

I never even knew Compu$erve had a GUI at some point.

As I mentioned, I got access for free because my company hosted a
    support forum on CI$. That was great, because back then I was a Novell admin, and Novell's support forum back then was primarily on
    CompuServe.

I think my first try at Compu$erve was when I got a free month with the modem I bought. I cancelled just before the month end because it wasn't worth it (actually, I probably couldn't afford it).

Later, I did try again for a few months, but I think Compu$erve was in decline by then because I found that the BBSs I called offered more, and often better, information.

... Behind every man, there's a woman with nothing to wear.

• From Abbub@21:2/145 to Dr. What on Sun Apr 30 14:35:29 2023
    I never even knew Compu$erve had a GUI at some point.

Yeah, I have no memory of that, either. I remember AOL and Prodigy. I
    remember driving up to northern virginia to visit this girl my roomate
    was interested in who lived in one of those DC suburbs. She was ridiculously cute, and her family owned a PS/1 and had a Prodigy account, which she showed us. My impression of Prodigy was that it was exactly the kind of on-line service I'd expect someone who bought an IBM PS/1 to use. lol. I think it was
    a 286-based model...in like...1990.

We used to cycle through 'free' trials of AOL and leech files off of them. I also got slightly addicted to an early (the first?) MMORPG called
    'Neverwinter Nights' (no, not 'new' franchise, but a on-line low-res affair that AOL had, which I believe was based on the SSI Goldbox engine. It was
    very similar to those games in look and feel. I think that lasted until I got the first bill.

---
  • From Rushfan@21:2/115 to Abbub on Mon May 1 03:37:09 2023
    BY: Abbub (21:2/145)

|11A|09> |10> I never even knew Compu$erve had a GUI at some point.|07
    |11A|09> |07
    |11A|09> |10Yeah, I have no memory of that, either. I remember AOL and Prodigy. I|07

I thikn https://thedayintech.wordpress.com/2021/09/24/come-online/ has a picture of it. It was called compuserve navigator if I remember correctly. I already had shell access at school and netcom for internet (mostly telnet and ftp) from home, by that time so it wasn't that interesting compared to what was free on mosaic with graphics.

|11r|09ushfan|07

--- WWIV 5.8.0.3675
    * Origin: Mystic Rhythms BBS (21:2/115)
  • From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Abbub on Mon May 1 07:53:32 2023
    Abbub wrote to Dr. What <=-

account, which she showed us. My impression of Prodigy was that it was exactly the kind of on-line service I'd expect someone who bought an
    IBM PS/1 to use. lol.

Same for me. To me, it seemed that Prodigy was meant for kids - not adults.

We used to cycle through 'free' trials of AOL and leech files off of
    them.

By that time, I had a job and money. So I never thought about using the free trials and leeching files (good idea, though).

But I also tried the other services: Bix, GENIE. I think there were a couple of others, but they really didn't have the vibrant user base of the BBSs (which were free).

Goldbox engine. It was very similar to those games in look and feel. I think that lasted until I got the first bill.

I think that's where most people ended for these services. They just weren't worth it for many people.

... History is a set of lies agreed upon by the Victors

• From Adept@21:2/108 to Abbub on Mon May 1 18:58:52 2023
    in both cases it wasn't quite the same as it is today. Anyway, I'd much rather be in charge of having to figure out how to moderate 35 million people than 3 billion people.

Yeah, and likely the smaller groups are more homogeneous, and therefore perhaps easier to moderate.

In any event, without getting political, I suspect that the real answer
    is that people had more of a veneer of civility about them 30 years ago. Sure you had trolls, but to the bulk of the population being a troll was socially unacceptable. I'm not sure that the same is true today.

There are probably a variety of things that impact it, not the least of which is that everyone got used to the internet, and everyone started being able to minmax whatever they were doing.

Well, I'm sure people were minmaxing from the very beginning, but new tech means people hadn't quite figured it out.

And, sure, probably the populations have changed a bit, but, yeah, rather not go down the road of a "kids these days" or "darn older people" or whatever.

But hopefully we find a way forward. And maybe a few people can find their way back, to our version of social media with BBSs.

Not that that's a panacea against all negative things, of course.

• From Tracker1@21:3/149 to Adept on Mon May 1 23:37:07 2023
    relatively small user base (even the big boards were tiny in
    comparison to Facebook or Twitter) and a relatively proactive
    moderator (the sysop) or group of moderators (message base
    moderators). The trolliest boards I can remember

Yeah... I often get kind of stuck in that scaling mindset having worked on a few systems that needed to handle more load than a single server can manage. And while it helps to know why certain things with FB or Twitter can be goofy, it doesn't make it any less annoying when you notice.

I think even Compuserv and AOL back in the day were relatively sharded in terms of groups/chat and while some areas may have been better or worse, it wasn't so bad. Even certain FB groups are pretty decent in terms of usability with generally self directed moderation.

But, these days, the mere fact that people aren't out there trying to get rich from BBSing makes things easier. Probably easier to keep things calm amongst hobbyists.

I think it does... though, there's still plenty of spammy posts to anything resembling Usenet or a web forum.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    +o roughneckbbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Tracker1@21:3/149 to Abbub on Mon May 1 23:39:39 2023
    In any event, without getting political, I suspect that the real answer is that people had more of a veneer of civility about them 30 years ago. Sure you had trolls, but to the bulk of the population being a troll was socially unacceptable. I'm not sure that the same is true today.

I think the locality of BBSing back then had a lot to do with it... You were just as likely to actually meet people that you got into flame wars with. Also the locality meant interacting with more of your "neighbors" and with more differing views, where most people wind up in clusters of interest groups or bubbles in terms of ideology today.

--
    Michael J. Ryan
    +o roughneckbbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Dr. What on Mon May 1 06:53:00 2023

them.

I did love those free floppies, though.

... Feed the recording back out of the medium
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From fusion@21:1/616 to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue May 2 15:21:49 2023
    On 01 May 2023, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

We used to cycle through 'free' trials of AOL and leech files off of them.

it was awesome. free floppies for years, and then when they went to CDs i always had a fresh coaster on my desk

i also used to spend quite a bit more time with like rubbing alcohol / lighter fluid / whatever carefully removing stickers so i could put nice labels on them

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
  • From Abbub@21:2/145 to Poindexter Fortran on Tue May 2 20:03:04 2023

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that I had a...ahem..."backup" of Windows 3.1 that
    was on a set of diskettes provided free-of-charge by AOL. :D

---
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Dr. What on Wed May 3 09:44:26 2023

On the other hand, Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act came about because of politicians not liking the no-moderation that was Compuserve, and preferring the greater moderation of Prodigy.

Ignoring anything political there, I'm guessing Compuserve still had its rough edges, though maybe it wasn't so much with trolling?

That immediately allows huge numbers of trolls. But Facebook doesn't do much about them because on Facebook, we, the users, are the product and they deliver our eyeballs to the advertisers.

I saw a stat recently, that I'm not at all certain on the accuracy of, but that claimed that Facebook made more revenue per-user than Netflix. Which... yeah, I would find Facebook incredibly easy to cut if it suddenly cost as much as Netflix.

• From Dr. What@21:1/616 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed May 3 07:59:57 2023
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Dr. What <=-

them.

And, later, all those shiny drink coasters.

... A girl a day keeps the wife away.

• From Dr. What@21:1/616 to Adept on Wed May 3 07:59:57 2023
    Adept wrote to Dr. What <=-

On the other hand, Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act came about because of politicians not liking the no-moderation that was Compuserve, and preferring the greater moderation of Prodigy.

That doesn't seem right. The CDA came out in 1996. Prodigy died for good in 2001 (and was never really popular). And while Compu$erve still seems to exist today, it was pretty dead by then as well.

But then our "representatives" were never timely in their legislation.

It seems, though, that the CDA was aimed mostly at BBSs - especially the ones that wanted to move from hobbist systems to commercial systems. Thinking of EXEC-PC and Rusty & Edie's here.

Ignoring anything political there, I'm guessing Compuserve still had
    its rough edges, though maybe it wasn't so much with trolling?

No. Guessing... More like private areas for illegal activity. Compu$erve was big enough that people could use it for illegal activity and not be noticed.

I saw a stat recently, that I'm not at all certain on the accuracy of,
    but that claimed that Facebook made more revenue per-user than Netflix. Which... yeah, I would find Facebook incredibly easy to cut if it
    suddenly cost as much as Netflix.

That claim would pass my BS filter. Facebook doesn't have to create content, so its costs would be much less than Netflix. And at "free", Facebook would have more users.

... If things improve with age, I'm nearly MAGNIFICENT!

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Adept on Wed May 3 06:44:00 2023
    Adept wrote to Dr. What <=-

Cubby vs. Compuserve characterized the online service as a distrubutor,
    not a publisher of content - and therefore not liable for defamatory
    content.

Section 230, in a sense, reinforces that ruling by providing some
    immunity to computer services.

My opinion is that as soon as you provide content in anything but a chronographically sorted view or start selling ads based on content
    gleaned from users' postings, you've crossed the line from distributor
    to publisher and should be compelled to monitor content.

You shouldn't get to make money by manipulating what people see to
    maximize revenue and claim immunity.

... LET'S GO TO THE COLONIES!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to Dr. What on Thu May 4 10:34:02 2023

That doesn't seem right. The CDA came out in 1996. Prodigy died for
    good in 2001 (and was never really popular). And while Compu$erve still seems to exist today, it was pretty dead by then as well.

Yeah, it wasn't that section 230 was directly aimed at Prodigy and Compuserve, just that they both got sued, and Compuserve won because they didn't engage in any content moderation, and Prodigy had issues because they were being considered a publisher because of taking _some_ stuff down.

But, yeah, take a look at
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230
    in the background and passage section

Since, yeah, it's kind of interesting how early online services that were not the internet impacted things. I guess they weren't BBSs, though I'm sure BBSs would still fall under a variety of these things.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 4 10:41:38 2023
    My opinion is that as soon as you provide content in anything but a chronographically sorted view or start selling ads based on content gleaned from users' postings, you've crossed the line from distributor
    to publisher and should be compelled to monitor content.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but, conveniently, that change would heavily encourage online places to sort in ways that are probably better for users anyway.

Though I'm sure you could still sort based on interactions. E.g., "you always like this person's posts, so this person's posts are higher in your feed" is content-neutral.