• Revision 2023

From Adept@21:2/108 to All on Fri Apr 7 13:59:28 2023
    Anyone taking in Revision, this weekend?

I'm at the party place, and it's interesting being back here again. And I look forward to seeing the variety of entries people have.

I'll be submitting an ANSI, and maybe taking part in the paintover compo (_maybe_).

But I know a lot of you aren't in Germany, or don't follow the demoscene.

But it's live, if people are interested:
    https://www.twitch.tv/revisionparty
    or
    https://streaming.media.ccc.de/revision/revision

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From phigan@21:3/177 to Adept on Sat Apr 8 00:20:41 2023
    I'm at the party place, and it's interesting being back here again. And I look orward to seeing the variety of entries people have.

Woah, I'm so jealous :). I've been watching the stream all day. It's definitely my tradition for this time of year.

I'll be submitting an ANSI, and maybe taking part in the paintover compo

Awesome! I'll be watching for it.

---
    * Origin: Kludge BBS | klud.ge (21:3/177)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to phigan on Sat Apr 8 20:07:45 2023
    I'm at the party place, and it's interesting being back here again. And look orward to seeing the variety of entries people have.

Woah, I'm so jealous :). I've been watching the stream all day. It's definitely my tradition for this time of year.

Sadly, the person I was attending Revision with tested positive for COVID this morning, and while I did not, the responsible thing to do seemed to be to stay away (other than stopping by long enough to grab the things I left behind).

So I've been watching remotely, too, if while also in Saarbruecken.

I'll be submitting an ANSI, and maybe taking part in the paintover compo

Awesome! I'll be watching for it.

Nice! Hopefully you saw it. I think I'll post it here, because, hey, ANSI. It was shown 22nd out of 26, so I guess the orgas thought it was good enough to have toward the end. I'm glad I made something neat enough to show.

That said, I think I liked all 26 entries, and the competition was quite good, so glad I could be a part of that.

• From phigan@21:3/177 to Adept on Wed Apr 12 15:52:00 2023
    Adept , sorry to hear about your friend and that you had to miss part of the party! But yes, I did see your ANSI. It is darn good! I'm not sure if I saw your paint-over submission, though. Did you get one in?

You're right, too, there were a LOT of great entries this year, in every category.

---
    * Origin: Kludge BBS | klud.ge (21:3/177)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to phigan on Wed Apr 12 21:30:31 2023
    Adept , sorry to hear about your friend and that you had to miss part of the party! But yes, I did see your ANSI. It is darn good! I'm not sure
    if I saw your paint-over submission, though. Did you get one in?

Thanks for the kind words!

And, no, I wound up not doing the paint-over submission. Maybe I would've ended up doing it had COVID not stopped us from going back to the party place, but, nope, I only got as far as making a few lines for what I could find in the various lines.

Though paintover is a bit weird for me, since most of my art experience is in ANSI graphics. I can do some photo editing with GIMP, but _drawing_ is just something I haven't done much of.

One of those times where a stylus and a touch screen might be a better choice. Though I'm _still_ not sure it'd help, in my case, since it's not like using a mouse to draw is particularly weird, at this point.

You're right, too, there were a LOT of great entries this year, in every category.

Yeah. I guess they had 550 entries, in total? And the demo category had 41, and ran for 3 hours.

Which... was long. Which seems fine, but having the demo party run until 3a seems like a bad idea. Entire scene seems to be a bit more stressful than is reasonable, given the amount of people who are 50+.

But it was still a pretty neat compo, as were most of the compos.

• From hollowone@21:2/150 to Adept on Wed Apr 12 23:19:25 2023
    Which... was long. Which seems fine, but having the demo party run until 3a seems like a bad idea. Entire scene seems to be a bit more stressful than is reasonable, given the amount of people who are 50+.

I only watched a few first Amiga demos live on the stream and then fell down sleeping. Compo started about 1h later than original announcement and staying longer than midnight was no point to me. Half of the demos could be easily selected out or put into wild/crazy demo category.

Seeing Disney Animation Studio alike demos together with Fairlight's masterpiece in the same category is just pure voting nonsense.

But it was good to see Revision is back as real party. Some forgotten heroes came back with a release this year, I believe thanks to that simple fact, as well.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a copy.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to hollowone on Thu Apr 13 08:45:17 2023
    down sleeping. Compo started about 1h later than original announcement
    and staying longer than midnight was no point to me. Half of the demos could be easily selected out or put into wild/crazy demo category.

Yeah, I think the whole, "this is a demo party" has made them not want to pre-select demos. Since oftentimes people presenting that particular demo at that particular place was the reason to come to the party, in ways that joining the photo compo just isn't.

But I do wonder if this is a single-year problem, since it's the first in-person Revision in a while. If it's not... Well, probably a good problem to have, since theoretically it's a sign that the scene is growing.

But, also, categories are hard, and reasonably voting on things that aren't particularly similar is also hard. And I think that comes into play inmost of the compos.

Seeing Disney Animation Studio alike demos together with Fairlight's masterpiece in the same category is just pure voting nonsense.

Afterward, someone was making the suggestion to have a separate, "commercial-engine demo" competition. And I know there's a desire for a separate fantasy-machine compo for, e.g., tic80 or Pico8 entries.

But there were already 25 compos or something, and they'd have to think about taking concerts out of the schedule if they want to have enough time for everything, as it is, without reliably going past 2a.

Though 2a-3a demos _does_ make the compo way more watchable for those in the Americas.

But it was good to see Revision is back as real party. Some forgotten heroes came back with a release this year, I believe thanks to that
    simple fact, as well.

Yeah. Definitely neat. Even if COVID still screwed up my personal attendance. And, on that note, hopefully not too many people wind up getting sick.

And which forgotten heroes were you thinking of, with that comment? I'll admit that my knowledge of scene names can be limited, at times. Especially with noticing how long a particular group has been gone for.

• From hollowone@21:2/150 to Adept on Thu Apr 13 13:01:15 2023
    Yeah, I think the whole, "this is a demo party" has made them not want to pre-select demos. Since oftentimes people presenting that particular
    demo at that particular place was the reason to come to the party, in
    ways that joining the photo compo just isn't.

All good if they started the compo around 20 and finished at midnight.

problem to have, since theoretically it's a sign that the scene is growing.

I'd hope so, can't validate that though. Generally I believe there there is a solid group of old timers stubborn to create demos for the lifetime and occasionally I find younger generations to break in. All that combined convinces me scene ain't even close to dead, yet!

But, also, categories are hard, and reasonably voting on things that aren't particularly similar is also hard. And I think that comes into
    play inmost of the compos.

There are two experiences on the party by my terms. One is on-site and one is on-line. On site it's all about being part of the crowd and culture. Then if particular category resonates with you, you vote by heart. For all other you vote for the sake of voting or keep partying and both is fine.

On-line is more picky as you can't feel the culture the same without a hand shake, visual contact and a proper drink!

Though 2a-3a demos _does_ make the compo way more watchable for those in the Americas.

That's actually true, hidden benefit to drag back Americans to the scene!

And which forgotten heroes were you thinking of, with that comment? I'll admit that my knowledge of scene names can be limited, at times. Especially with noticing how long a particular group has been gone for.

Oxbab from Oxygene for example. I quite recently repacked some old French demos on Absinthe BBS with my commentaries. Paulie republishes them on 20 4 Beers too. I picked up some old demos of Oxbab who disappeared by the end of 90s in my commentaries only to discover that he's come back this year at Revision with a remaster of his old Amiga demo.

-h1

... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a copy.

• From Adept@21:2/108 to hollowone on Thu Apr 13 23:47:48 2023
    All good if they started the compo around 20 and finished at midnight.

Yeah. I did kinda think through how they'd have to schedule things to make that happen. Probably some amount of moving a couple of Sunday things to Saturday and/or reducing concert time. Or starting with compos on Friday, I suppose, with a deadline before the party.

I'd hope so, can't validate that though. Generally I believe there there is a solid group of old timers stubborn to create demos for the lifetime and occasionally I find younger generations to break in. All that
    combined convinces me scene ain't even close to dead, yet!

Yeah, hard to be able to say much of anything with certainty. But I did like Trixter's comment about how most of the stupid rivalries / hating on each other, etc. from 30 years ago are gone, and the scene is significantly more inclusive.

One person _did_ say, "Amiga rulez, PC dr00ls!", but it's hard to take it seriously.

And about the only things people are hating on are cancer and passing off AI artwork as your own creation.

There are two experiences on the party by my terms. One is on-site and

Yeah, the categories make sense, and I certainly felt it. On-site, I probably would've skipped the music compos, and go outside to have it be a little bit less loud, for a little while.

Off-site, I used the opportunity to play Age of Empires II with friends.

On site, I would've voted for more than I did. Off-site, I wound up constantly checking my work phone due to an unfortunate incident that would've had me on my laptop, had I brought it. But I probably would've checked less, if I were on-site.

On-line is more picky as you can't feel the culture the same without a hand shake, visual contact and a proper drink!

Yeah. I did miss getting to talk with people a bit more, or doing a bit of juggling.

That's actually true, hidden benefit to drag back Americans to the scene!

Perhaps drag Americans _into_ the scene, even. :)

Though they did have a satellite in Maryland, which was cool. I also wonder how the satellite in Japan went, as that had to made for interesting scheduling.

Oxbab from Oxygene for example. I quite recently repacked some old
    French demos on Absinthe BBS with my commentaries. Paulie republishes
    them on 20 4 Beers too. I picked up some old demos of Oxbab who disappeared by the end of 90s in my commentaries only to discover that he's come back this year at Revision with a remaster of his old Amiga demo.

Nifty! I don't think I'd even recognize the name, though I guess Oxygene is not completely unfamiliar. But it does sound nifty, and an interesting experience.

Though that reminds me that it was a bit odd not to see Kevin this year.

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to hollowone on Thu Apr 13 18:55:47 2023
    But it was good to see Revision is back as real party. Some forgotten heroes came back with a release this year, I believe thanks to that
    simple fact, as well.

Since I missed it, I'm hunting for some compilation or overview on the YTs... I hope to catch at least some of the TOP10s or winners... I know I can find a list on Pouet;

https://www.pouet.net/party_results.php?which=1550&when=2023

w00t w00t.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Adept@21:2/108 to paulie420 on Fri Apr 14 09:35:40 2023

Another option is:
    https://demozoo.org/parties/4569/

It has the info in the results.txt, but it's much easier to click through and see a variety of the productions.

E.g., people can look at the ANSI/ASCII/PETSCII compo and see the other things in the compo beyond my entry.

• From phigan@21:3/141 to paulie420 on Fri Apr 14 13:19:31 2023
    Since I missed it, I'm hunting for some compilation or overview on the YTs... I hope to catch at least some of the TOP10s or winners... I know

Did you check the Revision party YT? They have a bunch of the demo compos cut out separately from the huge ones.

* Origin: Thrace BBS, Plovdiv, Bulgaria (21:3/141)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Adept on Fri Apr 14 09:50:09 2023

Another option is:
    https://demozoo.org/parties/4569/

I like Pouet only because I know how to 'game' their web setup and get to their open-directory section where I can easily scrape all the files/releases. :P

As everyone should know, you can now spin over to 2oFB and download all the Revision 2o23 files too... all zipped up by section; viewable thru Mystic if you wanna just grab one thing.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Fri Apr 14 12:31:09 2023
    Re: Re: Revision 2023
    By: paulie420 to Adept on Fri Apr 14 2023 09:50 am

As everyone should know, you can now spin over to 2oFB and download all the Revision 2o23 files too... all zipped up by section; viewable thru Mystic if you wanna just grab one thing.

I'm curious if your keyboard is having issues? I've noticed a lower-case letter 'o' in places where it should be a 0 (zero) and similar in some of your messages.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Nightfox on Sat Apr 15 23:13:56 2023
    As everyone should know, you can now spin over to 2oFB and download a the Revision 2o23 files too... all zipped up by section; viewable thr Mystic if you wanna just grab one thing.

I'm curious if your keyboard is having issues? I've noticed a lower-case letter 'o' in places where it should be a 0 (zero) and similar in some
    of your messages.

LOL - you leave me alone, I'm k-rad to the b0ne.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o