• VKRadio Message Hub - MIA ?

From K4JTT@21:1/136 to All on Thu Mar 30 08:53:51 2023
    Hey All,

Really curious on the Sysop of the VKRadio Network Hub. It is sure giving the appearance this Hub is (and has) been on cruse control for months.

Has anyone had contact with Tony?

I have sent him messages via net mail and personal e-mail asking for some updates and have had no response. Now I am a little worried something may be wrong.

N4TDX BBS - Telnet: n4tdx.ddns.net:2323
    fsxNet: 21:1/136 Titusville, FL.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: N4TDX BBS (21:1/136)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to K4JTT on Fri Mar 31 00:54:00 2023
    Really curious on the Sysop of the VKRadio Network Hub. It is sure giving the appearance this Hub is (and has) been on cruse control for months.

Big Tony hasn't surfaced here for a while, so far as I can tell. Mind you I haven't been around FSX much the last few months either. If'n I remember right, he was concentrating on "other" stuff. Its also been our summer so
    its probably peak athletics season too. I've just tried firing off an email
    to the address I have. I'll let you know if I get a result.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to K4JTT on Thu Mar 30 08:38:56 2023
    Re: VKRadio Message Hub - MIA ?
    By: K4JTT to All on Thu Mar 30 2023 08:53 am

I have sent him messages via net mail and personal e-mail asking for some updates and have had no response. Now I am a little worried something may be wrong.

Is that Vk3jed? I haven't seen any posts from Vk3jed in a while. He was handling the FTN side of my message networks, DeveloperNet and MusicalNet. I hope things are okay.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to K4JTT on Fri Mar 31 18:13:00 2023

I left a message via FB. I got an email reply today, so he's alive and
    kicking. Seems to be busy in the athletics dept. Email was pretty brief though.

Spec

• From K4JTT@21:1/136 to Spectre on Fri Mar 31 09:02:13 2023

I left a message via FB. I got an email reply today, so he's alive and kicking. Seems to be busy in the athletics dept. Email was pretty brief though.

Spec

Well, there is the 411. There has been zero updates on the Network in Months and it is very obvious it is on "Auto". Maybe it is time just fro me to pull that node configuration off my BBS and let it die.

I have been having the same circumstance with my Fidonet node hub. He has been MIA since last Thanksgiving and it is very obvious the Node Hub is completely on "auto". He also does not respond to any messaging.

Just don't know how to proceed. Seems pointless to carry a Node with zero updates and very little to totally no traffic.

N4TDX BBS - Telnet: n4tdx.ddns.net:2323
    fsxNet: 21:1/136 Titusville, FL.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: N4TDX BBS (21:1/136)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to K4JTT on Fri Mar 31 13:03:12 2023
    Well, there is the 411. There has been zero updates on the Network in Months and it is very obvious it is on "Auto". Maybe it is time just
    fro me to pull that node configuration off my BBS and let it die.

I have been seeing mail here in that network. OTOH, he is the QWK hub for Retronet and his system has been rejecting my connection attempts. I have
    time to take a look into that today so I will.

I have been having the same circumstance with my Fidonet node hub. He
    has been MIA since last Thanksgiving and it is very obvious the Node
    Hub is completely on "auto". He also does not respond to any
    messaging.

If you need another system to get echos from, netmail me at my FSX addy and
    we can set something up.

... Heisenberg may have slept here.
    --- MultiMail/DOS
    * Origin: possumso.fsxnet.nz * SSH:2122/telnet:24/ftelnet:80 (21:4/134)
  • From vorlon@21:1/195.1 to K4JTT on Sun Apr 2 10:15:30 2023
    Hi K4jtt,

His's going ok'ish. Moved into the new house at christmas, and has been attending to real life (tm) things.

I wrote that a few people in fsxnet have been asking about him.

\/orlon
    aka
    Stephen

--- Talisman v0.47-dev (Linux/m68k)
    * Origin: Vorlon Empire: Amiga 3000 powered in Sector 550 (21:1/195.1)
  • From Nigel Reed@21:2/101 to All on Sun Apr 2 04:03:46 2023
    On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:02:13 -0400
    "K4JTT" <k4jtt@21:1/136> wrote:

I left a message via FB. I got an email reply today, so he's
    alive and kicking. Seems to be busy in the athletics dept.
    Email was pretty brief though.

Spec

Well, there is the 411. There has been zero updates on the Network in
    Months and it is very obvious it is on "Auto". Maybe it is time just
    fro me to pull that node configuration off my BBS and let it die.

I have been having the same circumstance with my Fidonet node hub. He
    has been MIA since last Thanksgiving and it is very obvious the Node
    Hub is completely on "auto". He also does not respond to any
    messaging.

Just don't know how to proceed. Seems pointless to carry a Node with
    zero updates and very little to totally no traffic.

You can get your fidonet feed from anyone who will give you one, it
    doesn't have to be from your hub. I had problems with the feed from my
    NC so I'm getting it from my RC and also from a sysop in Z2 as a backup.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Mon Apr 3 19:50:37 2023
    On 31 Mar 2023 at 06:13p, Spectre pondered and said...

I left a message via FB. I got an email reply today, so he's alive and kicking. Seems to be busy in the athletics dept. Email was pretty brief though.

that tallies with what I was thinking also. I'd seen some social media posts to suggest the sports are taking his focus at present. I'm sure he'll circle back to this hobby at some stage.

Oh and hi, how's things going for you?

I've also been MIA for a little while but playing catching up now, never really went away only feel asleep for a bit :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Tue Apr 4 12:03:00 2023

Hmm well interesting at least from my end. Still waiting for some of the reno stuff to happen. Mum cracked the sads and demanded we take her out of aged care. Having the bed for her.. absolute minimum hurdle, we did. That lasted for a week and she decided to go back... had her back the following weekend
    and she's been back in the facility since. I've been forced to the
    conclusion that she's not going to be completely happy anywhere. But we're still waiting for the ensuite to get done, one of her biggest complaints.

On the flip side, we've been able to get the garage reno moving. Roller door out, Aluminium doors and windows in. Shade sail in place. Got a timber delivery for partitions today, so the next few days will be interesting and busy, banging frame together, figuring out how to get some of the complete partitions upright in the space which is going to be more limited than I thought.

On other fronts the ship is pretty much steady as she goes. Getting ready
    for Grand Kids for Easter.

Trust all is well,

Spec

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Thu Apr 6 12:46:13 2023
    On 04 Apr 2023 at 12:03p, Spectre pondered and said...

Hmm well interesting at least from my end. Still waiting for some of the reno stuff to happen. Mum cracked the sads and demanded we take her out
    of aged care. Having the bed for her.. absolute minimum hurdle, we did. That lasted for a week and she decided to go back... had her back the following weekend and she's been back in the facility since. I've been forced to the conclusion that she's not going to be completely happy anywhere. But we're still waiting for the ensuite to get done, one of

The joys.

My mum has been in rest home care now since November and her health is declining. I last saw her in February. I'm a couple of plane flights away from her and not sure if/when I will see her next.

Chat with Dad every 2-3 days to check in on his wellbeing. He's doing OK and as expected given what's happening with my mum.

Sounds like at least you could suss where your mums head was at (or not) so you know how to deal with those requests in the future.

On the flip side, we've been able to get the garage reno moving. Roller door out, Aluminium doors and windows in. Shade sail in place. Got a timber delivery for partitions today, so the next few days will be interesting and busy, banging frame together, figuring out how to get
    some of the complete partitions upright in the space which is going to
    be more limited than I thought.

For us it's been a leaking goldfish pond that has been causing us issues for some years. We tried a few options to seal up the hidden leak, nothing was working. But this year it's got a few coats of swimming pool paint and that seems to have fixed it. Next up (this weekend) the Lilly plants go back in and some liquid nails will be used to stick a few stones around the edge of the pond back in place. I hope the weather holds.

On other fronts the ship is pretty much steady as she goes. Getting
    ready for Grand Kids for Easter.

I think we have some coming over on Friday.. :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to Avon on Thu Apr 6 23:38:00 2023
    My mum has been in rest home care now since November and her health is declining. I last saw her in February. I'm a couple of plane flights away from her and not sure if/when I will see her next.

I'm lucky we moved her closer, even if she feels the facility has gone
    downhill since she moved in. She recently tested positive for covid, but has been asymptomatic so thats something at least. She's noticed she's not as stable as she was, I'm noticing that she sounds more frail than she used to.
    I try and send her over some food every now and then, facility food is a bit like bad hospital food, and with inflation in the food prices I'm sure
    they're cutting whatever corners they can to stay inside their budget.

The choice to use a facility is a bit tough. A lot of "inmates" don't last
    for long after you take them out of a familiar environment even if they
    weren't doing well there either. Here you can get in home care, haven't
    pushed far down that path though.

Good luck with your Mum.. If you can manage it, make the trips, you won't
    have her forever.

Spec

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Spectre on Fri Apr 7 11:35:55 2023
    On 06 Apr 2023 at 11:38p, Spectre pondered and said...

I'm lucky we moved her closer, even if she feels the facility has gone downhill since she moved in. She recently tested positive for covid,
    but has been asymptomatic so thats something at least. She's noticed she's not as stable as she was, I'm noticing that she sounds more frail than she used to. I try and send her over some food every now and then, facility food is a bit like bad hospital food, and with inflation in the food prices I'm sure they're cutting whatever corners they can to stay inside their budget.

The food at the place my mum is at sounds likes it's OK but to be fair I'm not there day in and day out. I do know they try to accommodate peoples needs e.g. soft food etc.

There was also a scare at the place mum is at with some testing positive for Covid-19. Sounds like it was in another wing / area and her area is fairly locked down anyway because they have dementia.

The choice to use a facility is a bit tough. A lot of "inmates" don't last for long after you take them out of a familiar environment even if they weren't doing well there either. Here you can get in home care,

I've seen this too sadly :(

they weren't doing well there either. Here you can get in home care, haven't pushed far down that path though.

My dad was getting home care help from the hospital who engaged external folks to come and help with bathing etc. But it was super unreliable as they could not find enough staff. In the end we had to move her into a rest home which luckily we found one that was good and also not too far away.

Good luck with your Mum.. If you can manage it, make the trips, you won't have her forever.

You too... and yep I will do this in the coming months... but the costs to fly are crippling so that's playing on my mind a bit.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Spectre on Sat Apr 8 08:24:00 2023
    Spectre wrote to Avon <=-

they weren't doing well there either. Here you can get in home care, haven't pushed far down that path though.

I'm at the point where we're starting to have the talk with my mom about driving and seeing if we can get some in-home help. At this point, she's
    mostly self-sufficient, but I'm 5 minutes away. If my work situation
    changes we'd need to get someone in to assist.

Thankfully she bought well when she bought her last house - all one
    floor, an access-friendly bathroom and a nice flat garden area.

I'd love it if she'd be willing to move in with me or my sister - we
    both have room and she'd love the company. She doesn't want to impose
    though, which I can respect.

... Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)