• Hi all :)

From toofargone@21:1/101 to All on Sat Mar 25 12:08:20 2023
    Howdy! It's been a while since I've been around but I thought I'd drop in and say hi!

I think we have a few Aussies here? It's voting day and raining so we're going to get wet :(

Anyway if anyone is around I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,
    toofar.

... Confucius say: "Its stuffy inside fortune cookie"

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to toofargone on Fri Mar 24 19:13:09 2023
    On 25 Mar 2023, toofargone said the following...

Howdy! It's been a while since I've been around but I thought I'd drop
    in and say hi!

I think we have a few Aussies here? It's voting day and raining so we're going to get wet :(

Cheers,
    toofar.

Not from Australia, but will the USA do? We had rain in SE Texas today, but it's clear and sunny now.

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    altairiv.ddns.net:2323

... That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/01/28 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From toofargone@21:1/101 to ogg on Sat Mar 25 14:49:00 2023
    Not from Australia, but will the USA do? We had rain in SE Texas today, but it's clear and sunny now.

Close enough! Closest I've been to Texas was Hawaii. Unfortunately I was sick as a dog and spent most of the time in bed watching a Deadliest Catch marathon. Needless to say my new bride was far from impressed =)

Yeah it's not looking good out the window, I think we're in for a storm!

... Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to ogg on Sat Mar 25 08:25:00 2023
    ogg wrote to toofargone <=-

Not from Australia, but will the USA do? We had rain in SE Texas
    today, but it's clear and sunny now.

My company is based out of Texas, and I'm apparently going to be
    traveling through Texas quite a bit. I just finished a trip from DFW,
    Anson, a couple of other small towns, and ended up flying out of
    Midland. I'm supporting solar and wind farms, apparently there's lots of
    land to spread out there. :)

... Don't give Chad a big neural network
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From toofargone@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 26 10:28:51 2023
    traveling through Texas quite a bit. I just finished a trip from DFW, Anson, a couple of other small towns, and ended up flying out of
    Midland. I'm supporting solar and wind farms, apparently there's lots of land to spread out there. :)

Ah that must be interesting. I worked for a company that supported large electrical motors and generators in power stations. It was fascinating looking at these huge machines that power our every day lives!

They do say everything is bigger in Texas lol. Sounds like you'll have a lot of travel to do especially if they build more solar/wind farms in the future. do you get to go up in the turbines? I'd love to go up in one but I don't think I have the courage to go up on top held on by a tiny rope ;)

cheers,
    toofar.

... Message encrypted: Press ALT-F4 to read encoded message

• From ogg@21:2/147 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Mar 25 18:59:21 2023
    traveling through Texas quite a bit. I just finished a trip from DFW, Anson, a couple of other small towns, and ended up flying out of
    Midland. I'm supporting solar and wind farms, apparently there's lots of land to spread out there. :)

I live in the next town south of Nacodoches called Lufkin. We just drove west to College Station (home of Texas A & M) and back (approx 2.5 hours each way) today. The largest town we passed through along the way "may" have had a population of 2000 people. Lots of cattle ranches and closer to home, lots of forests. The good thing about the trip was a lot of the time, the speed limit was 75 mph (120 kph for our metric friends!). Plus they know how to make passing lanes convient!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... Press SPACEBAR once to abort, or twice to save changes

• From ogg@21:2/147 to toofargone on Sat Mar 25 19:08:06 2023
    They do say everything is bigger in Texas lol. Sounds like you'll have a lot of travel to do especially if they build more solar/wind farms in
    the future. do you get to go up in the turbines? I'd love to go up in
    one but I don't think I have the courage to go up on top held on by a
    tiny rope ;)

cheers,
    toofar.

To give you an idea of how big Texas really is, Interstate 10 (I-10) that traverses the south of Texas is about 880 miles long. I-5 in California is just short of 800 miles.

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... There will be a rain dance Friday night, weather permitting!

• From toofargone@21:1/101 to ogg on Sun Mar 26 13:37:35 2023
    To give you an idea of how big Texas really is, Interstate 10 (I-10) that traverses the south of Texas is about 880 miles long. I-5 in California is just short of 800 miles.

That's not a bad drive, if I were younger I could probably knock that out in a day but I would need a day or so to get over it :)

I've always thought I would make a good long distance truck driver, I've seen a few youtube channels by long distance truck drivers and it does look like heaps of fun.

I did drive on the big island of Hawaii, driving on the wrong side of the road was a bit daunting but I managed not to cause any chaos except I couldn't understand why people were going through a red light but everyone was so I just followed.

... What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to toofargone on Sat Mar 25 18:31:28 2023
    Re: Re: Hi all :)
    By: toofargone to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 26 2023 10:28 am

They do say everything is bigger in Texas lol. Sounds like you'll have a lot of travel to do especially if they build more solar/wind farms in the future. do you get to go up in the turbines? I'd love to go up in one but I don't think I have the courage to go up on top held on by a tiny rope ;)

Texas, so far, and British Columbia. BC was beautiful!

I haven't gone up in a tower (yet), my work has been in ops buildings managing the systems that manage the wind and solar farms. In steel toe workboots and a hard hat, which is quite funny after a career of working in server rooms and corporate offices.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Mar 25 20:49:03 2023
    ..... In steel toe
    workboots and a hard hat, which is quite funny after a career of working in server rooms and corporate offices.

Just remember, safety is number one! Even in the office!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS

... Why do we tell actors to "break a leg?" Because every play has a cast

• From toofargone@21:1/101 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 26 15:18:09 2023
    I haven't gone up in a tower (yet), my work has been in ops buildings managing the systems that manage the wind and solar farms. In steel toe

Yeah I was IT based too but occasionally when a new monitoring system had to be installed I went along to commission it. Took me right to the big machines.

I did get a certification in health and safety, boy was it a lot of paperwork... I did always wonder what the point of a safety helmet was if the crane fell on you =p

... I'm not a complete idiot... Several parts are missing!

• From toofargone@21:1/101 to ogg on Sun Mar 26 15:19:54 2023
    Just remember, safety is number one! Even in the office!

Those papercuts are a real hazard ;)

... Old musicians never die. They just decompose!

• From Adept@21:2/108 to toofargone on Sun Mar 26 17:34:12 2023
    I've always thought I would make a good long distance truck driver, I've seen a few youtube channels by long distance truck drivers and it does look like heaps of fun.

I have a long-distance-truck-driver friend who frequently talks about looking forward to getting off the road pretty soon.

Mostly because the working conditions can be... not great. Things like, "You _have_ to be in x place at y time". You show up at y time, and there'll be no one there to deal with your load for 3 or 4 hours, during which time you will not be getting paid, and the delay interferes with your ability to be home for the weekend.

But I think it might be somewhat better outside the US. Not sure. Just that, if people can find a place with decent working conditions, then the lifestyle likely would be interesting for a people with a certain mindset.

Probably not for me, but I think the idea of driving around large vehicles would be either super anxiety inducing, or super sleep inducing, neither of which would be a good thing.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to toofargone on Sun Mar 26 17:40:17 2023
    I did get a certification in health and safety, boy was it a lot of paperwork... I did always wonder what the point of a safety helmet was
    if the crane fell on you =p

Help protect the head for your open-casket funeral.

Okay, yes, my humor can be dark...

Though, on the topic of safety helmets, I remember being on site, and having a time when I turned around while looking down at something, and walked into a rail so hard that I fell down.

Without the hard hat, that would've been a bad day, with the hard hat it was barely an inconvenience.

Wasn't the only time I hit my head, too, so I was definitely sold on the hard hat. Safety glasses, though... Trying to deal with fogged-up glasses was _so_ annoying, and _completely_ unnecessary for my job.

But if my job included power tools, I would have a different opinion.

* Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From toofargone@21:1/101 to Adept on Mon Mar 27 10:56:21 2023
    Mostly because the working conditions can be... not great. Things like, "You _have_ to be in x place at y time". You show up at y time, and there'll be no one there to deal with your load for 3 or 4 hours, during which time you will not be getting paid, and the delay interferes with your ability to be home for the weekend.

I think that's the same everywhere. The company knows you can only drive x hours per day but they expect you to be somewhere you can't possibly get to in the time you have. I watch a tv show in Australia called outback truckers and I see a lot of husband/wife teams to keep the truck moving constantly.

I think I'd prefer to run my own truck that way it's only me I have to answer to :)

... BREAKFAST.COM Halted... Cereal port not responding.

• From toofargone@21:1/101 to Adept on Mon Mar 27 10:59:13 2023
    Help protect the head for your open-casket funeral.

I do remember as an apprentice we had a large tunnel system under campus that mainly contained high voltage cables, I had to go in to cut a hole in one of the brick walls and luckily I was wearing my helmet.. someone thought leaving a bolt sticking out of the roof and I hit that thing so hard (with my helmet on) it knocked me to the ground and left me dizzy for a while... I often wonder what would have happened if I didn't have my helmet on...

... The dog ate my .REP packet

• From claw@21:1/210 to toofargone on Mon Mar 27 07:43:57 2023
    On 25 Mar 2023, toofargone said the following...

Howdy! It's been a while since I've been around but I thought I'd drop
    in and say hi!

Cheers,
    toofar.

Welcome. What is your board address? might have to check it out.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |20|15Radio|10@|14HTTP://Noverdu.com:88
    |16|10 Standard ports for SSH/Telnet |04 WEB|14@|12HTTP://noverdu.com:808 |20|15Global Chat, Global Messaging and Games! |16|10Ditch the Unsocial Media

* Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From toofargone@21:1/101 to claw on Tue Mar 28 10:31:01 2023
    Hi,

I've only just got it working, still waiting on some message networks, so it's just a basic install at this stage. I'll get an ad up when I think it's ready for visitors :>

... A PC a day keeps the Apple away!

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to Adept on Sat Apr 1 08:10:26 2023
    Re: Re: Hi all :)
    By: Adept to toofargone on Sun Mar 26 2023 05:34 pm

But I think it might be somewhat better outside the US. Not sure. Just that,

I don t think so. There is a lot of pressure to deliver things on time and I have heard of drivers having their travel plan changed mid-trip to acomodate new deliveries in the last minute. Not great, if you ask me.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)