• Raspberry Pi Prices & availability in Australia...

From dflorey@21:1/226 to All on Thu Jul 14 21:42:13 2022
    Hey folks

Haven't been on here much lately, work has basically consumed most of my free time since returning this year, so I have a lot of messages to catch up on (late night reading)...

So where I work, we use Raspberry Pi 4's (usually 2GB models) for our 3CX SBC deployments where the 3CX appliance is hosted (not on-premise). They work amazingly well for this.

Personally, I use them at home for various projects (4GB models), and have
    some upcoming projects that will require some more (later this year / by mid next year).

This last I reckon two months I have not been able to source a replacement
    RPi4 AT ALL!! I actually surrendered my only RPi4 (2GB) from my 3D printer
    for my most recent 3CX SBC, with the intention to replace it with a 4GB
    model.

That that I need to buy a 4GB model for the printer - I simply cannot get one for less than $250 AUD. At work, I need another 2GB model, and guess, what - can't get them either... In fact, I can't buy ANY RPi4's of any RAM capacity
    in the model 'B' form factor...

So... My question here (mainly for the AU folks) - do you know of any
    reputable places to buy these at the moment that aren't stupidly priced???

Thanks...

|14Dave!
    |05(|13dflorey|05)
    |13Retro16 BBS |05--> |14bbs.retro16.com |05(|13WIP|05)
    |07All your base are belong to us!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Retro16 BBS (21:1/226)
  • From Greenlfc@21:2/150 to dflorey on Thu Jul 14 06:08:23 2022
    It's not much better in the US. So much for being a "$35 Hobbyist Computer"

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> GLFC@mstdn.starnix.network
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From ogg@21:2/147 to dflorey on Thu Jul 14 10:09:38 2022
    So... My question here (mainly for the AU folks) - do you know of any reputable places to buy these at the moment that aren't stupidly
    priced???

Here's where I keep checking: https://rpilocator.com

I haven't checked for your area, but it works in the US.

ogg

Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    Lufkin, TX
    fsxnet: 21:2/147

... Press SPACEBAR once to abort, or twice to save changes

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/13 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Greenlfc on Thu Jul 14 09:01:20 2022
    Re: Re: Raspberry Pi Prices & availability in Australia...
    By: Greenlfc to dflorey on Thu Jul 14 2022 06:08 am

It's not much better in the US. So much for being a "$35 Hobbyist Computer"

Yeah, I bought a Raspberry Pi in a kit (with some accesssories) a few months ago, when one was available from a retailr, and now I'm wondering if it may have been a little overpriced, even for a kit.

There's another project I want to build now which requires a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, and as far as I can tell, those are all sold out everywhere. I don't know when I would be able to buy one. I'm starting to wonder if these things even exist..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to dflorey on Thu Jul 14 14:13:15 2022
    So... My question here (mainly for the AU folks) - do you know of any reputable places to buy these at the moment that aren't stupidly
    priced???

I don't know if this will help or not, cause for me I need [want] the Raspberry Pi 4 form factor ONLY; but the Pi 400 is readily available w/o getting scalped on the price. This is fine for some people, heck you get a keyboard included... or, tear out the mainboard and move your project along..

Another option is a website called rpilocator.com. In fact, right now Adafruit has some available:

RPI4-MODBP-2GB RPi 4 Model B-2GB Adafruit (US) No 13-Jul-22 (USD) 45.00

And last, you can sometimes find them on Amazon in a bundle - with charger, SDCard or other accessories and not get TOO hiked... just normal fees for those wall warts that you probably already have too many of.

Hope you find what yer l00king for!!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Spectre@21:3/101 to dflorey on Fri Jul 15 07:13:00 2022
    HAve a look at...

https://core-electronics.com.au/raspberry-pi.html

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: The future's uncertain, the end is always near. (21:3/101)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to dflorey on Fri Jul 15 08:47:37 2022
    Re: Raspberry Pi Prices & availability in Australia...
    By: dflorey to All on Thu Jul 14 2022 09:42 pm

So where I work, we use Raspberry Pi 4's (usually 2GB models) for our 3CX SBC deployments where the 3CX appliance is hosted (not
    on-premise). They work amazingly well for this.

I used to use the BeagleBoard for a FreePBX at home, many years ago, and it too worked amazingly well.

Do people still use landlines and desktop phones still? I guess businesses still do, but at home, it became useless pretty quickly when our mobile phones started having unlimited calling.

I have my phones all boxed up and I'm thinking I should sell them (SNOMs) - although I probably wont get much at all.

...ëîåï
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to dflorey on Thu Jul 14 15:35:21 2022
    dflorey wrote to All <=-

priced???

I think there is a shortage all over that is affecting the prices and availability. Not that long ago, I remember someone in another echo complaining that they could not find one any where. I suspected it was
    related to the chip shortage that is/was going on, but I am not certain of that.

--- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From Greenlfc@21:2/150 to Nightfox on Fri Jul 15 06:58:32 2022

On 14 Jul 2022, Nightfox said the following...

There's another project I want to build now which requires a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, and as far as I can tell, those are all sold out everywhere. I don't know when I would be able to buy one. I'm starting
    to wonder if these things even exist..

If I had a need in that space right now I'd be looking hard at the various alternatives like the Pine64 boards.

GreenLFC º e> greenleaderfanclub@protonmail.com
    Infosec / Ham / Retro º masto> GLFC@mstdn.starnix.network
    Avoids Politics on BBS º gem> gemini.greenleader.xyz

• From claw@21:1/210 to Nightfox on Fri Jul 15 09:08:12 2022
    On 14 Jul 2022, Nightfox said the following...
    Yeah, I bought a Raspberry Pi in a kit (with some accesssories) a few months ago, when one was available from a retailr, and now I'm wondering if it may have been a little overpriced, even for a kit.

There's another project I want to build now which requires a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, and as far as I can tell, those are all sold out everywhere. I don't know when I would be able to buy one. I'm starting
    to wonder if these things even exist..

Nightfox

The shortage is a real thing. I remember when it was first starting to happen we tracked down a Pi 400 still new in the box for $100. Was amazed that one place was still selling them at normal retail price. Shortly after that you couldn't get them anywhere.

I'm glad I got in to them early. I have a few of them sitting around so if I get the itch I can just spin up a project. Only 1 Pi 400 So better will have to be careful with that one.

I basically view Pi and the new commodore. and really hope things turn around for them.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |04(|14Noverdu.com|04)
    |10Standard Ports for SSH/Telnet Web/HTTP://|14Noverdu.com:808
    |20|15fsxNet/MRC Chat/Registered Doors!/50Nodes/No Time Use! Stay On!|16|07

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Greenlfc on Fri Jul 15 08:56:56 2022
    Re: Re: Raspberry Pi Prices & availability in Australia...
    By: Greenlfc to Nightfox on Fri Jul 15 2022 06:58 am

There's another project I want to build now which requires a
    Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, and as far as I can tell, those are
    all sold out everywhere. I don't know when I would be able to buy
    one. I'm starting to wonder if these things even exist..

If I had a need in that space right now I'd be looking hard at the various alternatives like the Pine64 boards.

There's a project kit I've been eyeing that is specifically designed for the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4. I don't think you can just swap in a different module with it.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to deon on Fri Jul 15 12:59:00 2022
    deon wrote to dflorey <=-

Do people still use landlines and desktop phones still? I guess
    businesses still do, but at home, it became useless pretty quickly when our mobile phones started having unlimited calling.

We have horrendous cell phone coverage at home, still use a Comcast VOIP
    line regularly.

... HACK THE PLANET!
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jul 18 07:56:48 2022
    On 15 Jul 2022, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...
    Do people still use landlines and desktop phones still? I guess businesses still do, but at home, it became useless pretty quickly wh our mobile phones started having unlimited calling.
    We have horrendous cell phone coverage at home, still use a Comcast VOIP line regularly.

Call your carrier. As long as its not one of the pay as you go carriers they will most likely give you the cell box. I can't remember what its called but basically it creates a mini cell tower off your Internet. Then you don't need VOIP. I've known people in the cities that have these in their home because they live near something that causes interference. Its at least worth the ask

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |04(|14Noverdu.com|04)
    |10Standard Ports for SSH/Telnet Web/HTTP://|14Noverdu.com:808
    |20|15fsxNet/MRC Chat/Registered Doors!/50Nodes/No Time Use! Stay On!|16|07

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to claw on Mon Jul 18 07:04:00 2022
    claw wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Call your carrier. As long as its not one of the pay as you go
    carriers they will most likely give you the cell box. I can't remember what its called but basically it creates a mini cell tower off your Internet. Then you don't need VOIP. I've known people in the cities
    that have these in their home because they live near something that
    causes interference. Its at least worth the ask

Thanks for responding - Yes, I'm on Cricket, an AT&T MVNO. Wi-fi calling is their response, and it works relatively well.

I had an AT&T femtocell when I was using a work-provided AT&T iphone, and it worked well, but you lost the call when you traveled out of the range of
    Wifi. Now, with 5G and wi-fi calling, I can take a call in my house and have it switch to 5G/LTE when I walk out the door.

Since I've switched teams at work, the one I'm on now prefers to use Teams calling, which is nice. I can have a separate number for my internal
    customers and not rely on cell service for work comms.

... How did you find this place?
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Adept@21:2/108 to ogg on Sat Aug 20 22:49:16 2022
    So... My question here (mainly for the AU folks) - do you know of any reputable places to buy these at the moment that aren't stupidly priced???
    Here's where I keep checking: https://rpilocator.com

I haven't checked for your area, but it works in the US.

Resurrecting a slightly-older post, but this is making me think about my experience with building a PC (I've ordered parts, and am now waiting on the last ones to arrive, at which point I will hopefully put things together and not need to buy additional parts due to some functional lack or some bit of incompetence on my part).

And one of the places I used a lot was idealo. So, idealo.de, and Searching for, e.g., Raspberry Pi 4 Model B seems to work fairly well for finding
    places and prices.

As a bonus, PC-building thing, pcpartpicker.com was a delight to use (de.pcpartpicker.com for me), as there was lots of advice, other builds, and ability to save what I was thinking for each section of the build.

(hopefully no one else already suggested these things. If so, sorry for being repetitive.)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)