• Daily life meanderings

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Tue Jul 12 12:22:36 2022
    Hey all.

Hope this finds you well.

We'll my wife and I have been away for 5 nights now and will be away for another 2 weeks still, we're staying at my parents place while my dad had his knee surgery and mum has been in a rest home.

The knee surgery seems to have gone well, it was a day surgery thing where they knocked him out for about 45 mins and did some laproscopic stuff to sort the damage in the knee. My dad was home that afternoon and able to bear weight on it pretty much straight after coming out of the hospital (which was expected). I must say I am suprised just how quickly he's recovering and the impact is night/day on his mobility and general wellbeing so that's good.

My mum is struggling with the rest home stay. It's made harder with her dementia but I've visited her most days to keep her spirits lifted. The bugger is the care facility got a covid-19 outbreak in a secure wing so they locked it all down now and as such I can't go in now but call her or visit and see her through her bedroom window while we talk on the phone.

She comes out (I hope) in about 4 days time so when that happens the days will get busier again on the home front for the remainder of our stay.

My lovely wife has been cooking meals that dad would never otherwise make for himself so that's been nice and we're freezing down additional meals for him to have when we have left.

Unlike my last visit to them where I stayed for about 6 weeks and remote worked, this time I am taking sick leave to avoid that juggle and care for family instead. It's working well but it does feel a bit strange not to be plugged into work things or know what's happening there. I've been tempted to check emails but stopped myself doing that a few times now :)

That's it for me for now, keep well and enjoy the hobby, it's been nice to read a few of the chats going on and help/info being shared between fols posting in the fsxNet.

Until the next update..

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Tue Jul 12 11:10:00 2022
    The knee surgery seems to have gone well, it was a day surgery thing where they knocked him out for about 45 mins and did some laproscopic stuff to sort the damage in the knee. My dad was home that afternoon and able to bear weight on it pretty much straight after coming out of the hospital (which was expected). I must say I am suprised just how quickly he's recovering and the impact is night/day on his mobility and general wellbeing so that's good.

Glad to hear he's recovering quickly.

My mum is struggling with the rest home stay. It's made harder with her dementia but I've visited her most days to keep her spirits lifted. The bugger is the care facility got a covid-19 outbreak in a secure wing so they locked it all down now and as such I can't go in now but call her or visit and see her through her bedroom window while we talk on the phone.

Oh that must be tough. Hard enough without the covid, but not even able to give her a hug must be tough.

That's it for me for now, keep well and enjoy the hobby, it's been nice to read a few of the chats going on and help/info being shared between fols posting in the fsxNet.

Thanks for the update, Have been thinking of you and how it's going.

I've been busy with OS development stuff, most recently made a text widget & text editor. I thought I'd stop posting updates about it on facebook, because the majority of my facebook friends have no idea what I am talking about. Seeing a slightly different screenshot every day might get boring.

Still working on the TCP stuff, there is something the port scanners are doing that doesn't work properly, it's hard to fix because I can only try something then wait until they portscan me again. I think I may have got it fixed this time... but I've thought that a few times already. Time will tell.

Wife has a Dr's appointment on wednesday. I think it's not long now. Probably by the time you get home from your trip we'll have an extra person here. Kind of nervous about it, but trying to do as much as I can on the computer as I know I won't have nearly as much time then.

Well, take care.

Andrew

=== TitanMail/linux v1.1.6
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: The Positronic Brain - positronicbrain.net:11892 (21:1/182)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to Apam on Tue Jul 12 14:14:20 2022
    Re: Daily life meanderings
    By: Apam to Avon on Tue Jul 12 2022 11:10 am

Wife has a Dr's appointment on wednesday. I think it's not long now. Probably by the time you get home from your trip we'll have
    an extra person here. Kind of nervous about it, but trying to do as much as I can on the computer as I know I won't have nearly
    as much time then.

Hey, didnt realise you were expecting again.

Fingers crossed for you both this time. Look forward to hearing the good news when bub comes home.

BTW: In the first few months, you'll have time :) They are sleeping blobs for a while before they realise they can move around!

...лоеп
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From apam@21:1/182.1 to deon on Tue Jul 12 15:41:12 2022
    Fingers crossed for you both this time. Look forward to hearing the
    good news when bub comes home.

Andrew

--- Talisman v0.43-dev (Windows/x64)
    * Origin: Smuggler's Cove - Private BBS (21:1/182.1)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Avon on Tue Jul 12 10:40:02 2022
    Hello Avon!

On 12 Jul 2022, Avon said the following...
    hospital (which was expected). I must say I am suprised just how quickly he's recovering and the impact is night/day on his mobility and general wellbeing so that's good.

That's great!

She comes out (I hope) in about 4 days time so when that happens the
    days will get busier again on the home front for the remainder of our stay.

Hoping all will go according to plan! It seems those outbreaks are popping up everywhere now... :-/

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Avon on Tue Jul 12 07:31:00 2022
    Avon wrote to All <=-

My mum is struggling with the rest home stay. It's made harder with her dementia but I've visited her most days to keep her spirits lifted. The bugger is the care facility got a covid-19 outbreak in a secure wing so they locked it all down now and as such I can't go in now but call her
    or visit and see her through her bedroom window while we talk on the phone.

My heart goes out to you. I have a friend whose mother is in a care facility with dementia, Mom couldn't understand why her kids couldn't see her. It's heartbreaking.

... Adding on
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)