• Moxie about Web3

From Oli@21:3/102 to All on Wed Jan 12 21:10:45 2022
    https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

"web3 is a somewhat ambiguous term, which makes it difficult to rigorously evaluate what the ambitions for web3 should be, but the general thesis seems to be that web1 was decentralized, web2 centralized everything into platforms, and that web3 will decentralize everything again. web3 should give us the richness of web2, but decentralized.

It’s probably good to have some clarity on why centralized platforms emerged to begin with, and in my mind the explanation is pretty simple:

1. People don’t want to run their own servers, and never will. The premise for web1 was that everyone on the internet would be both a publisher and consumer of content as well as a publisher and consumer of infrastructure.

We’d all have our own web server with our own web site, our own mail server for our own email, our own finger server for our own status messages, our own chargen server for our own character generation. However – and I don’t think this can be emphasized enough – that is not what people want. People do not want to run their own servers."

If you want to read about web3 (aka cryptoshit), you have to click the link:

https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

* Origin: Birds aren't real (21:3/102)
  • From opicron@21:3/126 to Oli on Wed Jan 12 21:45:28 2022
    It's probably good to have some clarity on why centralized platforms emerg begin with, and in my mind the explanation is pretty simple:
    1. People don't want to run their own servers, and never will. The premise

Most people dont indeed ^^. I could never live without self maintained
    docker servers for a bunch of platforms I use. Probably belong to the odd 1%.

However I believe in the near future we will see an increase in people
    running their own servers and actually increasing the odd 1%. Mainly because
    of government control, leaks, (feeling of/or actual) privacy, crackdowns and what more.

We will see where it ends up. Interesting material ^^. Keep those coming ;).

oP!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TheForze - bbs.opicron.eu:23 (21:3/126)