• Gopher

From Mr. Cool@21:2/136 to Doctor Who on Wed Mar 2 16:59:16 2016
    Re: Gopher
    By: Doctor Who to Mr. Cool on Tue Jan 26 2016 12:48 am

Re: Gopher
    By: Mr. Cool to All on Tue Jan 19 2016 06:51 pm

Hey Guys,

I found a cool graphical gopher client for linux not long ago in the repo It is written in python I believe and I found it in the debian and lubunt (or ubuntu) repo. It has a very basic look to it; it kinda reminds me of early 90s web browser. It was a little glitchy on my IBM Thinkpad X41, bu runs very smoothly on my G3 PPC running under Debian 8. I had experiment with a windows client once under wine, but could not get it to connect to anything for some reason.

- Mr. Cool

What's the name of the client?

Sorry I didn't realize I forgot to put the name in. :) It is called forg.

- Mr. Cool

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Retro Archive - bbs.retroarchive.org

--- InterEcho 1.20
    * Origin: Poseidon SoftWorx, Southaven MS, U.S.A. (21:2/136)
  • From Tracker1@21:2/136 to Mr. Cool on Wed Mar 2 16:59:16 2016
    Hey Guys,

I found a cool graphical gopher client for linux not long ago in the repo. It is written in python I believe and I found it in the debian and lubuntu (or ubuntu) repo. It has a very basic look to it; it kinda reminds me of
    an
    early 90s web browser. It was a little glitchy on my IBM Thinkpad X41, but runs very smoothly on my G3 PPC running under Debian 8. I had experimented with a windows client once under wine, but could not get it to connect to anything for some reason.

Most older web browsers think Ie < 7, or Netscape Navigator <= 6, have Gopher support iirc. -- Michael J. Ryan tracker1(at)gmail.com +o Roughneck BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ RoughneckBBS - http://www.roughneckbbs.com/

--- InterEcho 1.20
  • From Mr. Cool@21:2/136 to Tracker1 on Wed Mar 2 16:59:16 2016
    Re: Re: Gopher
    By: tracker1 to Mr. Cool on Sat Feb 06 2016 12:06 am

Most older web browsers think Ie < 7, or Netscape Navigator <= 6, have Gophe support iirc.

I have actually used Netscape 4.8 for this purpose and it functions very well in that capacity. I was running it under wine on Ubuntu 12.04 before I upgraded my OS. Amazingly, this version on Netscape is capable of rendering webpages (not very well of course as it was released around 2002 as the last 4.X version, but it can do it).

- Mr. Cool

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Retro Archive - bbs.retroarchive.org

--- InterEcho 1.20
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Mr. Cool on Tue Jul 31 19:56:54 2018
    On Monday, July 30th Mr. Cool muttered...
    Sorry I didn't realize I forgot to put the name in. :) It is called forg.

Where can we find this client?

BTW: Xibalba exposes some of the message bases via gopher:
    gopher://xibalba.l33t.codes:44513

When I get a little less busy, I plan on exposing more + possibly some files as
    well.

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.9-alpha (linux; x64; 8.9.4)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)