• Net2BBS and NetFoss

From Limping Ninja@46:1/151 to All on Fri Dec 31 11:36:49 2021
    I currently use NetSerial, but recently was looking at Net2BBS and NetFoss as an entry point to my board, mainly due to the really nice IP filtering setup and detection for portscans.

I followed the instructions to the letter but there appears to be some weirdness:

When using NetFoss by itself from the command prompt it fails silently, I believe this is because it is attempting to use the DLL in the NetFoss folder. I did move the DLL for NetFoss and NetFos64 into System32 and SysWow64 and when I type "where netfoss.dll" and "where netfos64.dll" respectively I get the right locations.

I have an NF.BAT where I use the %1 call (netfoss.com %1) appropriately.

When I get a telnet, Net2BBS picks it up, shells appropriately to the NF.BAT and then I get the following:

netfoss.com
    ------------
    In terminal:
    Net2BBS is Resolving your IP Address... BBSName
    NetFoss - Revision 5 FOSSIL - Com Eng v1.25 - (c) 2001-2021 pcmicro.com
    In shell (Netcom loads and says): NetFoss not found

netfos64.com
    In terminal:
    Same as above
    In shell:
    BBS loads but cannot init the modem. I am running KBBS and I can choose Standard COM 1-4, Non-standard port (ADDR/IRQ required), Standard FOSSIL driver, and some OS/2 and digiboard options. I chose FOSSIL and the node 1 has FOSSIL:0, and the nodes go consecutively up. When setting it the software says 0=COM1, 1=COM2 -- but from what I understood from the doc it shouldn't matter.

Is there something special I need to be doing here?

In regards to NetFoss not found, I saw that this was supposedly an issue back in 2020 that was fixed with NTVDMx64 and NetFoss not playing together well but was supposed to be fixed. I am running the most recent NTVDMx64.

Hopefully some help, it isn't life ending since I can always roll back to NetSerial. Though would love to have the temp bans and detection stuff that Net2BBS has without getting too complicated a setup.

Kind Regards,
    LN
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC (46:1/151)
  • From Wall E. Weasel@21:2/121 to Limping Ninja on Tue Jan 4 23:39:00 2022
    Limping Ninja wrote to All <=-

I currently use NetSerial, but recently was looking at Net2BBS and
    NetFoss as an entry point to my board, mainly due to the really nice IP filtering setup and detection for portscans.

When using NetFoss by itself from the command prompt it fails silently,
    I believe this is because it is attempting to use the DLL in the
    NetFoss folder.

Unless you're using NetFoss as a FOSSIL driver to real (or virtual) serial port hardware, there's nothing for NetFoss to do from a command prompt. See below for how NetFoss and Net2BBS work together.

When I get a telnet, Net2BBS picks it up, shells appropriately to the NF.BAT and then I get the following:

netfoss.com
    ------------
    In terminal:
    Net2BBS is Resolving your IP Address... BBSName
    NetFoss - Revision 5 FOSSIL - Com Eng v1.25 - (c) 2001-2021 pcmicro.com
    In shell (Netcom loads and says): NetFoss not found

This is expected. NetFoss (32 bit) won't work on a 64 bit OS.

netfos64.com
    In terminal:
    Same as above
    In shell:
    BBS loads but cannot init the modem. I am running KBBS and I can choose Standard COM 1-4, Non-standard port (ADDR/IRQ required), Standard
    FOSSIL driver, and some OS/2 and digiboard options. I chose FOSSIL and
    the node 1 has FOSSIL:0, and the nodes go consecutively up.

The fact that you're getting this far almost certainly indicates NetFoss64 is installed correctly. It's likely the command line parameters for the BBS simply need to be adjusted.

The BBS won't ever init the modem because it won't ever 'answer' a call. Your BBS software must be able to load and function with a call already connected. I'm not at all familiar with KBBS so I can't tell you the correct command line parameters to do this. Check the manuals for instructions on using the software with front-end mailer software. Or just look at the command line parameter reference, it should be fairly obvious which to use.

When
    setting it the software says 0=COM1, 1=COM2 -- but from what I
    understood from the doc it shouldn't matter.

Correct, as long as the BBS software is set to use a FOSSIL driver it will not matter which port you choose. But it must use the FOSSIL. If you're going to stick with Net2BBS you might as well use the same COM port for every single node. This will make your life easier later on.

Is there something special I need to be doing here?

Did you ever set up a BBS with a front-end mailer? The bulletin board software never answers the phone, the mailer does. A caller calls, the mailer software answers and completes the connection, the mailer exits and drops control to a batch file, and the batch file then loads the BBS software.

You'll be doing the same with Net2BBS and NetFoss. Net2BBS answers the incoming telnet connection. It then runs an instance of NF64.BAT, which in turn loads NetFoss and NetCom. NetCom in turn loads the BBS software. When the user logs off, the BBS software exits and the instance of NF64.BAT ends.

I'm going to create a hypothetical example. Assume KBBS is started with KBBS.EXE, is run from C:\KBBS\, and uses the following command line parameters (won't likely be correct):

KBBS.EXE -N<Node # to run> -B<Valid baud rate, assumes call is already connected> -E (exits after call)

Start by changing two lines in NET2BBS.INI:

StartPath=C:\KBBS
    Command=c:\netfoss\nf64.bat /n*N /h*H *N

Next, edit NF64.BAT and change the NetCom.EXE command. Or better yet, REM out the existing one and write a new one:

REM c:\netfoss\netcom.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    c:\netfoss\netcom.exe %1 %2 KBBS.EXE -N%3 -B115200 -E

When Net2BBS gets a legit connection, it calles NF64.BAT with the parameters:

NF64.BAT /n<node #> /h<Socket handle> <node #>

This in turn causes NetCom to load up KBBS with the command line:

KBBS.EXE -N<node #> -B115200 -E

After KBBS.EXE exits, so does NetCom. The NF64.BAT file then completes the remaining commands, ends, the window is closed, and that particular node number is then available for the next call.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: The Basement Theory - Sciotoville, Ohio USA (21:2/121)