• Setting up Husky

From Sparky@21:1/192 to All on Wed Jul 14 06:06:57 2021
    Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and have now decided it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for me so I am scrapping my linux box and just going to continue running Mystic on win32. Some of my major issues with Husky was trying to compile Fidoconf and getting an error I could not find an answer for, Running tparser and have switches autoAreaCreate on/autoFileCreate on cause errors and not being able to find documentation that describes those switches.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/06/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: commconnbbs.net (21:1/192)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to Sparky on Thu Jul 15 08:51:56 2021
    On 14 Jul 2021, Sparky said the following...

Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and have now decided it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for me

Yeah, I was in the same boat. Thought about playing with that when I was running Telegard but it was way over my head.

If there were some "Husky Guy" videos out there like there are for Mystic I may give it another try one day.

Jay

... Anyone who lives within his means suffers from a lack of imagination.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/06 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to Sparky on Fri Jul 16 10:47:33 2021
    Re: Setting up Husky
    By: Sparky to All on Wed Jul 14 2021 06:06 am

Howdy,

Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and have now decided it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for me so I am scrapping my linux box and
    just going to continue running Mystic on win32. Some of my major issues with Husky was trying to compile Fidoconf and getting an error I could not find an answer for, Running tparser and have switches autoAreaCreate on/autoFileCreate on cause errors
    and not being able to find documentation that describes those switches.

Well, if you want to be able to skip the "compiling/installing" part and get to just use it - then you are welcome to use my docker container.

My container runs Hubs 3 & 4 (so it has husky and a couple of other tools), and since Avon also runs husky there are at least 3 of us here that can help you with the configuration side of it.

...ëîåï

... A modest man is usually admired - if people ever hear of him.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to Warpslide on Fri Jul 16 10:48:00 2021
    Re: Re: Setting up Husky
    By: Warpslide to Sparky on Thu Jul 15 2021 08:51 am

Yeah, I was in the same boat. Thought about playing with that when I was running Telegard but it was way over my head.

If there were some "Husky Guy" videos out there like there are for Mystic I may give it another try one day.

What I said to Sparky... :)

...ëîåï

... Chuck Norris put the "fist" in "pacifist".
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106.2 to Sparky on Thu Jul 15 18:06:28 2021
    Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and have now decide it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for me so I am scrapping my linux box and just going to continue running Mystic on win32.

When I first setup the husky tools I found the same thing. I must have spent six months just playing with it before it all started making sense to me.

Then husky 1.9 changed a lot of keywords and I spent another few months getting that straight. Be sure you are looking at current documentaion. The web is chalk full of 1.4 husky setup.

Some of my major issues with Husky was trying to compile Fidoconf and getting an error I could not find an answer for, Running tparser and have switches autoAreaCreate on/autoFileCreate on cause errors and not being able to find documentation that describes those switches.

Back in the 1.4 days I used those keywords. They are related to auto adding areas as they arrive for nodes that you give that access to.

My area configuration is fairly static these days and if I need to add any areas I just do that myself so those keywords don't exist in my config now. It can be done but you'll need husky 1.9 documentaion since some of those keywords are the ones that changed with 1.9.

I spent a lot of time discussing my issues with others to get past issues I was having. We could do that here, there are at least a few in fsxNet that run the husky tools and could help you along the way.

Mystic has a pretty good and easy to use tosser also. It has always been my hope that it would get past the issues that exist there like the busy nodes issue that happen periodically. g00r00 still works on these things so I am sure that will happen given time.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.2)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to deon on Fri Jul 16 08:00:00 2021
    deon wrote to Sparky <=-

My container runs Hubs 3 & 4 (so it has husky and a couple of other tools), and since Avon also runs husky there are at least 3 of us here that can help you with the configuration side of it.

It's the configuration file that throws most people off. I know my way
    around a config file, or two, but trying to set up htick from scratch was daunting at best.

... Only one element of each kind
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From deon@21:2/116 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jul 17 10:43:54 2021
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to deon on Fri Jul 16 2021 08:00 am

It's the configuration file that throws most people off. I know my way around a config file, or two, but trying to set up htick from scratch was daunting at best.

Yeah, agree.

But once you have your head around it, I think its pretty easy.

I can add a new system to the hub with just a few lines of config now. Husky's templating makes that all easy.

I admit, I probably dont use all the switches, but its way easier to manage than it was before with BBS software/mailer software...

...ëîåï

... OUT TO LUNCH - If not back at five, OUT TO DINNER!
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Oli@21:3/102 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jul 17 10:22:53 2021
    poindexter wrote (2021-07-16):

deon wrote to Sparky <=-

My container runs Hubs 3 & 4 (so it has husky and a couple of other
    tools), and since Avon also runs husky there are at least 3 of us
    here that can help you with the configuration side of it.

It's the configuration file that throws most people off. I know my way around a config file, or two, but trying to set up htick from scratch was daunting at best.

It's everything. The build process, config, documentation, website, design, complexity, usability in general, no proper and bugs. I looked at the code and it's no wonder that we still have bugs that happen when you squeeze JAM into the Squish API. Husky is insane and only for the kind of people who would love sendmail or desperately need the features of husky ;-P.

* Origin: . (21:3/102)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to Sparky on Sat Jul 17 07:08:59 2021
    On 14 Jul 2021, Sparky said the following...

Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and have now decided it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for me so I am scrapping my linux box and just going to continue running Mystic on win32. Some of my major issues with Husky was trying to compile Fidoconf and getting an error I could not find an answer for, Running tparser and have switches autoAreaCreate on/autoFileCreate on cause errors and not being able to find documentation that describes those switches.

Not sure if you're even interested in this topic any more, but it shouldn't be as big a deal as you're making it out to be. It's possible you pulled the git repo while there was a bug, or you didn't install the prerequisites first, which could create issues for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what problems were you having trying to compile fidoconf? And what linux distribution were you trying to compile it on?j

First, and assuming you cloned the git repo, you have to edit huskymak.cfg to your liking (the directories you choose should probably exist as well) and put it in the husky project's root directory. Then, compiled *in this order*, and following each module's instructions (ie: huskylib/INSTALL.md, smapi/INSTALL.md, and fidoconf/INSTALL.md) - which may give you the exact same instructions, but at least you covered your behind in the process: huskylib, smapi, and fidoconf. After that you can compile any modules you want to use (ie: hpt, htick, nltools, etc).

With that said, if fidoconf doesn't compile for you, I can't imagine that any module after that would either, but if you were somehow able to get hpt or htick to compile without a working fidoconf, something is probably very wrong in your case (linked libraries in multiple locations? who knows).

Lastly, I've quickly glossed over and searched some of the .texi files, and can't for the life of me find an "autoAreaCreate" option. The closest thing I could find is "autoAreaCreateSubdirs" which may not even pertain to what you're trying to do. So if there is no documentation on those switches, they may not exist any more, and if you trying to use them cause errors, maybe it's something that should be brought up to a developer as it's possible those switches were once removed but some old code was left in? Or, over the years those switches were forgotten about and broken and it's possible you were the first to notice. *shrug*

I've had the husky software runnig here for years, and have upgraded over the years as well, so if you really want to get this stuff working, I'd be happy to help out where I can if you're still interested. It is usually super easy to compile/install, and if it isn't, something is either wrong with the code (it is still actively updated, so random git pulls could give you a broken package. However, any issues are usually addressed within a reasonable time) or something with your compiler, system, or directory structure.

Regards,
    Nick

... Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/06 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/200)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jul 17 07:13:36 2021
    On 16 Jul 2021, poindexter FORTRAN said the following...

It's the configuration file that throws most people off. I know my way around a config file, or two, but trying to set up htick from scratch
    was daunting at best.

Unless you know what you're doing, trying to setup any config file from scratch is daunting. However, there are example configuration files - including one specifically for htick - available in the project that can get you started (../huskybse/config directory).

Regards,
    Nick

... A Meteor is an example of a rock star.

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to deon on Fri Jul 16 17:24:33 2021
    Well, if you want to be able to skip the "compiling/installing" part and get to

just use it - then you are welcome to use my docker container.

Hi Deon, I may just take you up on that. Let me get docker set up and then I will email you with any questions I may have if that OK.
    Jeff

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to Al on Fri Jul 16 17:30:44 2021
    When I first setup the husky tools I found the same thing. I must have spent six months just playing with it before it all started making
    sense to me.
    Then husky 1.9 changed a lot of keywords and I spent another few months getting

that straight. Be sure you are looking at current documentaion. The web
    is chalk full of 1.4 husky setup.

That's what I have been finding out. I appreciate your offer for help and if I get Deon's docker installation running hopefully I won't need to ask you for any. I have really like how easy Mystic was to setup and run, mind your I ran a
    4 line TAG bbs under DOS and desqview so I did have some background to start with.
    Jeff

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jul 17 14:54:35 2021
    It's the configuration file that throws most people off. I know my way around a config file, or two, but trying to set up htick from scratch
    was daunting at best.

You got that right! Also not having docs that are easily available (or finding docs for different versions). Mystic has changed a lot since Avon first did his videos, but even following the old videos you can still get Mystic up and running.
    Jeff

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to Accession on Sat Jul 17 15:07:14 2021
    Not sure if you're even interested in this topic any more, but it shouldn't be as big a deal as you're making it out to be. It's possible you pulled the git repo while there was a bug, or you didn't install the prerequisites first, which could create issues for you.

Your right in that it shouldn't be a big issue but it did...First I started with a gzip/tar file that I uploaded to my debian box and decompressed into a home-fido-husky. Then edited husky.cfg to fit my use and edited fidoconfig.conf. I started the make process as you listed husky.lib, smapi.lib and both went fine then fidoconf kept giving me an error.
    So I am going to start from scratch and see what happens. As I have said earlier that lack of good docs has not made this any easier...
    Jeff

• From deon@21:2/116 to Sparky on Sun Jul 18 09:51:59 2021
    By: Sparky to deon on Fri Jul 16 2021 05:24 pm

just use it - then you are welcome to use my docker container.
    Hi Deon, I may just take you up on that. Let me get docker set up and then I will email you with any questions I may have if that

Sure...

...ëîåï

... The most delicate component will drop.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Sparky on Sat Jul 17 18:26:36 2021
    SPARKY(21:1/192) wrote to All <=-

Well I have to give my hat off to all of you that have set up Husky, I have spent close to a month trying to get it set up and running and
    have now decided it is too complex/not enough clear documentation for
    me so I am scrapping my linux box and just going to continue running Mystic on win32. Some of my major issues with Husky was trying to
    compile Fidoconf and getting an error I could not find an answer for, Running tparser and have switches autoAreaCreate on/autoFileCreate on cause errors and not being able to find documentation that describes
    those switches.
    I had a Husky Win32 install when I was running Mystic before I ran Winserver as my bbs.

I ran binaries of the husky programs so I did not occur most of the fustrations you experienced.

... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52

--- WWIV 5.7.2.3536
    * Origin: inland utopia * socal usa * iutopia.mooo.com:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to deon on Sun Jul 18 20:09:55 2021
    On 16 Jul 2021 at 10:47a, deon pondered and said...

since Avon also runs husky there are at least 3 of us here that can help you with the configuration side of it.

Just catching up on threads... yep happy to help :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Accession@21:1/200 to Sparky on Sun Jul 18 07:44:27 2021
    On 17 Jul 2021, Sparky said the following...

Your right in that it shouldn't be a big issue but it did...First I started with a gzip/tar file that I uploaded to my debian box and decompressed into a home-fido-husky. Then edited husky.cfg to fit my use and edited fidoconfig.conf. I started the make process as you listed husky.lib, smapi.lib and both went fine then fidoconf kept giving me an error. So I am going to start from scratch and see what happens. As I have said earlier that lack of good docs has not made this any easier...

Try installing git on your debian box, and cloning the repo. That will give you the latest version of the husky project. Older gzipped or tar packages may not work with newer compilers any more.

huskymak.cfg is the file you edit and put in the root husky directory (make sure if you change directory locations in said file, they actually exist. Don't rename the file, as all other modules look for that file and the settings in it. After that, just go into the huskylib directory and run 'make' and 'make install' without quotes. Once that's done, leave the directory and go to the smapi directory, run 'make' and 'make install'. Then do the same with fidoconf. If you get an error on fidoconf after doing the above, post your error (maybe the last 10 lines of it or so) so we can see what the issue is, please.

That said, I have no idea what fidoconfig.conf is, unless you've renamed it from something else. No file named that resides anywhere in the latest husky sources.

If it all compiles, then you are able to install the modules you want. I recommend this order: areafix, hpt, htick, nltools. Areafix libraries are needed for hpt so should be done first, but if you install hpt without areafix libraries I'm going to assume your areafix functionality won't work if you plan on being any sort of hub. nltools is completely optional, I don't believe I use it here at all, but installed it anyways just in case I ever wanted to check it out.

Let me know how it goes, and good luck!

Regards,
    Nick

... I'd love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to Accession on Sun Jul 18 09:37:43 2021
    Try installing git on your debian box, and cloning the repo. That will give you the latest version of the husky project. Older gzipped or tar packages may not work with newer compilers any more.

Working on that now. Got git installed and working on cloning the husky repo (another new process to learn...)

huskymak.cfg is the file you edit and put in the root husky directory

Got that and edited accordingly.

That said, I have no idea what fidoconfig.conf is, unless you've renamed

it is the fidoconfig file, I have it named config.

"/usr/local/include/smapi/typedefs.h:42:23: error: conflicting types for dword typedef unsigned long dword;
    In file included from ../huskylib/compiler.h:1155,
    from src/common.c:45:
    ../huskylib/UNIX.h:192:22: note: previous declaration of dword was here
    typedef unsigned int dword;
    ^~~~~
    In file included from /usr/local/include/smapi/msgapi.h:28,
    from src/common.c:76:
    /usr/local/include/smapi/typedefs.h:43:21: error: conflicting types for sdword typedef signed long sdword;
    ^~~~~~
    In file included from ../huskylib/compiler.h:1155,
    from src/common.c:45:
    ../huskylib/UNIX.h:193:22: note: previous declaration of sdword was here
    typedef signed int sdword;
    ^~~~~~
    In file included from /usr/local/include/smapi/msgapi.h:29,
    /usr/local/include/smapi/stamp.h:34:8: error: redefinition of struct _stamp
    struct _stamp
    ^~~~~~
    In file included from ../huskylib/huskylib.h:42,
    from src/common.c:71:
    ../huskylib/cvtdate.h:40:8: note: originally defined here
    struct _stamp
    ^~~~~~
    /usr/local/include/smapi/stamp.h:61:7: error: redefinition of union stamp_combo
    union stamp_combo
    ^~~~~~~~~~~
    ../huskylib/cvtdate.h:57:7: note: originally defined here
    union stamp_combo
    ^~~~~~~~~~~
    /usr/local/include/smapi/stamp.h:68:27: error: conflicting types for SCOMBO typedef union stamp_combo SCOMBO;
    ^~~~~~
    ../huskylib/cvtdate.h:63:27: note: previous declaration of SCOMBO was here
    typedef union stamp_combo SCOMBO;
    ^~~~~~
    In file included from src/common.c:76:
    /usr/local/include/smapi/msgapi.h:112:8: error: redefinition of struct _netaddr
    struct _netaddr
    ^~~~~~~~
    In file included from ../huskylib/huskylib.h:46,
    ../huskylib/ftnaddr.h:37:16: note: originally defined here
    typedef struct _netaddr
    ^~~~~~~~
    /usr/local/include/smapi/msgapi.h:413:26: error: conflicting types for GenMsgId
    SMAPI_EXT dword _XPENTRY GenMsgId(char *seqdir, unsigned long max_outrun);
    ^~~~~~~~
    In file included from src/common.c:71:
    ../huskylib/huskylib.h:110:25: note: previous declaration of ‘GenMsgId’ was here
    HUSKYEXT dword _XPENTRY GenMsgId(char * seqdir, unsigned long max_outrun);
    ^~~~~~~~
    /usr/local/include/smapi/msgapi.h:414:26: error: conflicting types for GenMsgIdEx
    SMAPI_EXT dword _XPENTRY GenMsgIdEx(char *seqdir, unsigned long max_outrun, dword (*altGenMsgId)(void), char **errstr);
    ^~~~~~~~~~
    In file included from src/common.c:71:
    ../huskylib/huskylib.h:111:25: note: previous declaration of GenMsgIdEx was here
    HUSKYEXT dword _XPENTRY GenMsgIdEx(char * seqdir, unsigned long max_outrun, dword (* altGenMsgId)(
    ^~~~~~~~~~
    make: *** [makefile.inc:27: common.o] Error 1"

Jeff

• From Accession@21:1/200 to Sparky on Fri Jul 23 18:17:08 2021
    On 18 Jul 2021, Sparky said the following...

it is the fidoconfig file, I have it named config.

Ah, okay. No problem. That is something we can attack after you're able to get everything compiled successfully.

make: *** [makefile.inc:27: common.o] Error 1"

First question, what were you trying to compile here? Can I assume this is the same as you previously mentioned, where huskylib and smapi compiled fine, but now fidoconf is giving you problems? If this is the case, did 'make install' on the first two modules give an error? While 'make' shouldn't require admin priviledges, you may have to use 'sudo make install' depending on where you specified some of your directories in huskymak.cfg.

Then, what linux distribution are you using, and what version of gcc and make are you using?

Last, did you by chance modify anything below PART 2 in huskymak.cfg? If not, copy/paste me the PART 1 section, please. Just so I have an idea of your directory structure.

While writing this.. I pulled current sources via git (I was probably in need of an update anyways) and compiled everything here without a hitch. So I'm leaning towards either an older compiler, your directory structure isn't correct, certain files can't be found, or there may be a/some permission issues somewhere - which could be affected by the directory structure you laid out. Either way, no worries we can get it figured out if you want to.

Regards,
    Nick

... A penny saved is not very much

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to All on Tue Jul 20 17:58:47 2021
    OK, so I was finally able to get huskylib, smapi, fidoconf, areafix, hpt, fidoroute, hptkill, hptzip to compile correctly. I just had a long list of packages I had to install as I went along. I still have a few more I have to compile then I get to figure out how to use them properly.
    I want to say a big thank you to those who offered help, I am sure I will still

need some but I am making progress. I am trying to keep notes so I can post them to help the next person.
    Jeff

• From Sparky@21:1/192 to Accession on Sun Jul 25 09:27:26 2021
    Hi Nick,
    First question, what were you trying to compile here? Can I assume this
    is the same as you previously mentioned, where huskylib and smapi compiled fine, but now fidoconf is giving you problems? If this is the case, did 'make install' on

I actually have got most of the libraries I need compiled successfully and have

run tparser on my fidoconfig file (config) it eliminated all errors. Still have a way to go but I am making progress. I have found to two biggest issues I

have faced are 1. There are a lot of dependencies that I had to figure out and install. 2. The documentation online sucks... The sample fidoconfig file is from 1.4 and many of the terms are no longer valid and the order you need to compile everything is not clear with the exception of one doc I found. (most tell you to make smapi the fidoconf when you need to do huskylib -> smapi -> fidoconf ->etc...

Again thanks for your time and help, since I am no rush to get this running I am taking my time to make sure I get thigns right and UNDERSTAND what I am doing. One step forward, do some more reading.
    Jeff

• From Accession@21:1/200 to Sparky on Sun Aug 8 17:24:18 2021
    On 25 Jul 2021, Sparky said the following...

Again thanks for your time and help, since I am no rush to get this running I am taking my time to make sure I get thigns right and UNDERSTAND what I am doing. One step forward, do some more reading.

No problem at all. Glad to hear you got it working!

Regards,
    Nick

... Fer sell cheep: BBS spel chekker. Wurks grate.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/31 (Linux/64)