• DOSEMU, PKZIP and DPMI

From Netsurge@21:4/154 to All on Sat Jun 29 20:40:14 2019
    PKZIP and dosemu don't play very well, especially if you are using a 64bit linux os.

There is a way to disable DPMI (which causes the issue) via command line,
    by adding -) to the command line, but that really doesn't help if the zip
    and unzip routines are hardcoded into software, like interlord.

Alas, after a shit load of research I have found a work around.

First you will need pkzip 2.04g (google for pkz204g.exe or ask me to drop it
    in your inbound).

Create a directory via dosemu to house pkzip and pkunzip (I created one in my doors dir called pkzip).

Copy and run pkz204g.exe, it should uncompress all the PK stuff into doors/pkzip.

Create a file in your pkzip dir called pkzip.cfg and add the following to
    that file:

DPMI=Disabled

Next you need to set the path for your pkzip folder and disable dpmi for pkunzip via your autoexec.bat. Edit autoexec.bat and add the following to
    your path statement:

d:\doors\pkzip (where ever your created your pkzip folder)

so my path statement looks like this now:

path z:\bin;z:\gnu;z:\dosemu;d:\doors\pkzip

you also need to add the following to your autoexec.bat file right after your last lredir statement:

SET PKUNZIP=-)

Now exit out of dosemu and head back into it so that your new autoexec.bat takes effect.

As to why PKZIP uses a cfg file and PKUNZIP requires a variable set is beyond me, why not use either or for both. Then again, we are talking about the
    90's here/

You should now be able to run pkzip.exe and pkunzip.exe from any directory without getting the dreaded DPMI error.

If you have any questions, there is a huge discussion on SciNet in the
    gaming echo about beating dosemu into submission when it comes to running
    old dos door games in linux.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
    |07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (21:4/154)