• echomail terms & expls

From h7@21:1/188 to All on Fri Nov 3 01:18:38 2017
    i haven't been too active with bbsing during the last few (well, lets say
    three to four years), only upgrading mystic occasionally and then wondering what the new features are.

areafix and filefix explanations do exist, but is there some features & possibilities of echomail -kind of textfile somewhere i could take a look at?

So far i've typed down everything manually (new echomail areas etc), but
    could i somehow use the .na files to do that and then fix the area names and such?

i noticed that some echomail networks carry files with them as well. how do i even..? the stuff that gets uploaded to echomail network file areas
    propagates to all the echomail nodes that have files configured?

(needless to say i run mystic) (and i'm happy to have time to tinker with the bbs again, even hired a new cosysop)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A35 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: ACiD Underworld // Victor Ludorum (21:1/188)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to h7 on Fri Nov 3 18:54:56 2017
    On 11/03/17, h7 said the following...

areafix and filefix explanations do exist, but is there some features & possibilities of echomail -kind of textfile somewhere i could take a
    look at?

You might want to start with looking in your /mystic/data/ folder for the
    files 'areafixhelp.txt' and 'filefixhelp.txt'. Those are the help files that Mystic will send if it receives a %help command for a node. Those are a good place to start.

So far i've typed down everything manually (new echomail areas etc), but could i somehow use the .na files to do that and then fix the area names and such?

There is a way to add the echos using the .na file. Take a look at the mutil.ini, as it's a stanza in that file which will allow you to add them.

i noticed that some echomail networks carry files with them as well. how do i even..? the stuff that gets uploaded to echomail network file areas propagates to all the echomail nodes that have files configured?

The files are usually hatched by the network administrator. Those files,
    along with a .tic file is then sent to all nodes that are connected to the
    file echos. The .tic file is a text files, which contains all of the information about the accompanied file, such as file echo, file name, size, etc.

Take for example, when Paul (Avon) wants to send a file to everyone, he would hatch the file from his system. Each of us that are connected the file echos, receive the file and .tic file. Mystic will then see them in the inbound directory, and "toss" them into the proper file folder on your BBS.

(needless to say i run mystic) (and i'm happy to have time to tinker
    with the bbs again, even hired a new cosysop)

I've run both Mystic and Synchronet, and have fallen in love with Mystic. ;)

You had to hire a co-sysop? I've never done that, even back in the 90s... :)
    Of course, my co-sysop was my wife, so payment was arranged by other means...

---

Black Panther
    aka Dan Richter
    Sysop - Castle Rock BBS(RCS)
    telnet://castlerockbbs.com
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - telnet://castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From h7@21:1/155 to Black Panther on Tue Nov 7 07:49:00 2017
    files 'areafixhelp.txt' and 'filefixhelp.txt'. Those are the help files that Mystic will send if it receives a %help command for a node. Those
    are a good place to start.

yeah, i found them but .. i was kind of looking for an explanation, dummies style. but i got one now :)

There is a way to add the echos using the .na file. Take a look at the mutil.ini, as it's a stanza in that file which will allow you to add
    them.

yeah it is somewhat explanatory. will try it the next time i have something coming up :)

You had to hire a co-sysop? I've never done that, even back in the
    90s... :) Of course, my co-sysop was my wife, so payment was arranged by other means...

yeah, well, someone who likes the bbs'ing and could sometimes help. i went through months of not even checking the bbs except when someone on IRC pinged me that the nodes were busy (telnet scans)

|08.\ |15H7 |08blocktronics|07accession|08trsi|07haciend

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A35 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Haciend.com | Scandinavian demoscene bbssince 1996 (21:1/155)