• Guide to FREQing

From Gringo@21:3/121 to All on Tue Sep 29 13:49:40 2020
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand how to FREQ a file using Netmail, but i cannot find my answers on the net :)

I think i should be sending an email with FREQ 'Name of the file' as a subject, but to whom should i be sending this request to ? sysop@xx.xx/xx ?

Thanks for your help :)
    ElGringo
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: ElGringo BBS - bbs.el-gringo.ca (21:3/121)
  • From Black Panther@21:1/186 to Gringo on Tue Sep 29 14:01:46 2020
    On 29 Sep 2020, Gringo said the following...

I am trying to understand how to FREQ a file using Netmail, but i cannot find my answers on the net :)

I had done the same, and there really is nothing out there in reference to FReqing.

I think i should be sending an email with FREQ 'Name of the file' as a subject, but to whom should i be sending this request to ?
    sysop@xx.xx/xx ?

There are some systems that can do this. The BBS needs to have internet email access, and the proper setup.

The way I'm set up here, is if you create a text file, which contains the filename(s) and/or magic name(s), and send them to my system at 1:317/3
    direct, my system will instantly find and send you the files.

So, for example, you want to get the latest Mystic for Linux32, and a list of all files on CRBBS. Create a text file containing:
    mystic_l32
    allfiles

Save that file, and send it directly to my system. (This is done in different ways for different programs.) While your system is connected, my system will search for those files, and send them to you, while you are still connected. The files you requested and a netmail reply will be in your mailers inbox.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    http://github.com/DRPanther
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/25 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (21:1/186)
  • From Al@21:4/106.1 to Gringo on Tue Sep 29 13:34:34 2020
    I think i should be sending an email with FREQ 'Name of the file' as a subject
    but to whom should i be sending this request to ? sysop@xx.xx/xx ?

It has been a long time since I did a freq from a Synchronet BBS but I think that is right, the subject line is I think, freq:files or freq:allfiles.zip" or

whatever file you are requesting.

There is likely better instuctions on the wiki.

The node you are requesting from also needs to support freqs. Mine does, you can try freqing files from my node if you want to test. You'll get a netmail reply with the results of your request.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106.1)
  • From Zip@21:1/202 to Black Panther on Wed Sep 30 08:19:50 2020
    Hello Black Panther (& Gringo)!

On 29 Sep 2020, Black Panther said the following...
    I had done the same, and there really is nothing out there in reference
    to FReqing.

I just found this, although not an FTSC document:

https://www.vadvbbs.com/products/vadv/support/docs/docs_vfido.php#HOW_TO_FREQ

So it seems to be a conventional netmail after all...

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/27 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (21:1/202)