• Windows 7 to 10

From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to All on Mon Sep 2 13:47:00 2019
    So, I thought the free upgrade period for Windows 7 was over, since it
    stopped advertising the upgrade through Windows update. I just tested with
    an OEM license of Windows 7, using the Windows 10 upgrade CD available from the Windows Media Creation tool.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, inserted the CD, ran it, and the upgrade ran without a hitch. At the end, I was presented with a licensed, authorized copy of Windows 10 19.03.

I don't expect this would last past Windows 7 EOL in January 2020, so if you have any old Windows 7 systems laying around, better upgrade them sooner rather than later.
    ... Find a safe part and use it as an anchor
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From BitByter@21:4/105 to poindexter FORTRAN on Wed Sep 4 01:53:14 2019
    Hello poindexter!

02 Sep 19 13:47, you wrote to all:

So, I thought the free upgrade period for Windows 7 was over, since it
    stopped advertising the upgrade through Windows update. I just tested with an OEM license of Windows 7, using the Windows 10 upgrade CD available from the Windows Media Creation tool.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, inserted the CD, ran it, and
    the upgrade ran without a hitch. At the end, I was presented with a licensed, authorized copy of Windows 10 19.03.

I suspect Microsoft is hoping that everyone will take advantage of this, and thus provide MS with the maximum amount of data from their spyware built into Windows 10.

I don't expect this would last past Windows 7 EOL in January 2020, so
    if you have any old Windows 7 systems laying around, better upgrade
    them sooner rather than later.

I'm planning to upgrade my collection of Windows 7 ThinkPads around New Year's Day 2020. The 2 newer ones that originally came with Windows 8 have already been upgraded as testbeds.

BitByter

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Phoenix BBS * phoenix.bnbbbs.net (21:4/105)