• Re: Ftelnet webterm downloads

From Scarecrow@21:4/111 to Avon on Thu Aug 29 07:31:42 2019
    Avon wrote to Scarecrow <=-

I have not really ever tried to use it (ftelnet) other than for telnet
    / ansi menu viewing and reading BBS content... but not for file transfers... yep it says somewhere it supports y modem etc. but to be honest I never tried hard to get that sussed out.My view is it's better
    to point a BBS user to Netrunner or SynchTerm to have a better download experience with.

I did get it to work for File Area transfers, downloading QWK packets will require more thought to figure out some failures there if necessary.
    We work with a small group of fledgling computer geeks that belong to a computer club at a local school. The school has them locked down pretty tightly on what they can access on the outside, about all they can do is
    www from their lab, no telnet, mail, ftp, etc. So ftelnet gives them at
    least some form of access to the BBS. You reckon I'm contributing to the delinquency of minors?? :)

... When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail
    ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: Blue Northern Software | bnsbbs.ddns.net:23000 (21:4/111)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Scarecrow on Fri Aug 30 08:33:52 2019
    On 29 Aug 2019 at 07:31a, Scarecrow pondered and said...

@TID: Mystic BBS 1.12 A43
    @TZUTC: -0500
    @MSGID: 21:4/111 f3ad81c7

I did get it to work for File Area transfers, downloading QWK packets
    will require more thought to figure out some failures there if

It seems this message has been posted twice with different message IDs - any thoughts why? I'm guessing something related to it being a QWK post perhaps?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Scarecrow@21:4/111 to Avon on Thu Aug 29 18:05:32 2019
    On 30 Aug 2019, Avon said the following...
    It seems this message has been posted twice with different message IDs - any thoughts why? I'm guessing something related to it being a QWK post perhaps?

Hi Paul. I see what you mean. It appears there was approx. 4 days between
    the posts. All I can think of is that I had a REP package that didn't get nuked and that message got reposted as part of a subsequent REP upload.
    Can't recall if I did any QWK posts in that time frame. I'll make sure I
    don't have any errant REPs hanging around.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/32)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Scarecrow on Fri Aug 30 12:23:44 2019
    On 29 Aug 2019 at 06:05p, Scarecrow pondered and said...

Hi Paul. I see what you mean. It appears there was approx. 4 days between the posts. All I can think of is that I had a REP package that didn't get nuked and that message got reposted as part of a subsequent
    REP upload. Can't recall if I did any QWK posts in that time frame. I'll make sure I don't have any errant REPs hanging around.

all good, it's fine... just thought I'd mention it in case something rang a bell to you as to why it may have happened.

• From Scarecrow@21:4/111 to All on Sat Aug 24 15:59:32 2019
    Does anyone know just how the download functionality of the Ftelnet
    web-based BBS term is supposed to work? The closest I've been able
    to get with Mystic/Linux is using a combination of DOS emulator and antiquated Ymodem drivers on the BBS side, but rather than any sort of download dialog, once the download starts, the file(s) queued to download are dumped to the Ftelnet term as screen after scrolling screen of characters . Never any sort of "save file" or "save as" type dialog. Once the scolling stops you're back
    at the Mystic menu, but rather than files saved, they are just 'viewed' instead during the 'download'. I've found little documention or support
    on the download function of Ftelnet, other than it using Ymodem-G as it's protocol, nor have I found any boards where downloads in Ftelnet do
    anything. Have any of you gotten it to work, or know how it is intended
    to work? Thanks!

... This tagline contains only non-GMO, gluten free characters
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Scarecrow on Sun Aug 25 14:51:06 2019
    On 24 Aug 2019 at 03:59p, Scarecrow pondered and said...

files saved, they are just 'viewed' instead during the 'download'. I've found little documention or support on the download function of Ftelnet, other than it using Ymodem-G as it's protocol, nor have I found any
    boards where downloads in Ftelnet do anything. Have any of you gotten it to work, or know how it is intended to work? Thanks!

I have not really ever tried to use it (ftelnet) other than for telnet / ansi menu viewing and reading BBS content... but not for file transfers... yep it says somewhere it supports y modem etc. but to be honest I never tried hard
    to get that sussed out.My view is it's better to point a BBS user to
    Netrunner or SynchTerm to have a better download experience with.

• From Scarecrow@21:4/111 to Avon on Sun Aug 25 16:15:08 2019
    Avon wrote to Scarecrow <=-

I have not really ever tried to use it (ftelnet) other than for telnet
    / ansi menu viewing and reading BBS content... but not for file transfers... yep it says somewhere it supports y modem etc. but to be honest I never tried hard to get that sussed out.My view is it's better
    to point a BBS user to Netrunner or SynchTerm to have a better download experience with.

I did get it to work for File Area transfers, downloading QWK packets will require more thought to figure out some failures there if necessary.
    We work with a small group of fledgling computer geeks that belong to a computer club at a local school. The school has them locked down pretty tightly on what they can access on the outside, about all they can do is
    www from their lab, no telnet, mail, ftp, etc. So ftelnet gives them at
    least some form of access to the BBS. You reckon I'm contributing to the delinquency of minors?? :)

... When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Scarecrow on Mon Aug 26 12:36:12 2019
    On 25 Aug 2019 at 04:15p, Scarecrow pondered and said...

I did get it to work for File Area transfers, downloading QWK packets

cool, well done.

necessary. We work with a small group of fledgling computer geeks that belong to a computer club at a local school. The school has them locked down pretty tightly on what they can access on the outside, about all
    they can do is www from their lab, no telnet, mail, ftp, etc. So
    ftelnet gives them at least some form of access to the BBS. You reckon
    I'm contributing to the delinquency of minors?? :)

Not at all, I think you're doing them a great service... pity about the
    locked down stuff but kinda of expected I guess..