• ZeroTier Update

From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to All on Fri Apr 12 09:00:04 2019
    Looks like ZeroTier has been running well here. I've reconfigured systems and the status is currently:

Freeway -
    Synchronet is configured. Requires a restart to start listening on ZeroTier IPs. Once I restart later today, all BBS services will be available on ZeroTier.
    BinkD reconfigured to listen on a spacial hostname which contains all of the Freeway IPs in A and AAAA records. BinkD is now listening on IPv4 (10.21.1.109) and IPv6 (fd00:0:f1d0:0:15:2:6d:0). Feel free to poll 21:1/109 on those addresses to test.

The Bridge -
    New servers added to listen on the second IPv6 address (fd00:0:f1d0:0:15:2:6d:1000). Mystic has been restarted, and everyone is welcome to try polling this system (21:1/143) at that address. All BBS services are also available to ZeroTier users.

DNS -
    Dns entries added for BinkD to find the IPs to listen on. This hostname is not useful for any other purpose, because there is a 60/40 chance of connection failure if you're on the Internet only or ZeroTier only, 20/80 chance failure if you're on both. Only place 100% success can be guaranteed is on my physical LAN.

I haven't yet added hostnames for actually connecting to ZeroTier IPs from ZeroTier. Will consult with Deon and Avon for further guidance on that one, before proceeding. I'm considering adding a "zt" subdomain, so I can have hostnames like freeway.zt.vkradio.com and bridge.zt.vkradio.com, which contain only ZeroTier IPs for internal use.

Other ToDos.
    Install ZeroTier on Bush Track BBS. This will allow me to work around one huge issue I'm having. The modern Debian way of setting up interfaces seems to have one big issue - although I can setup static IPs in the network manager (or whatever it's called), if the router reboots, those IPs get replaced by DHCP (IPv4) and SLAAC (IPv6), which is annoying. Easiest way to restore the correct IPs is then a reboot. I have thought of stripping all that out and going back to the old school way (like I do on the Pi), but then I have to fiddle around with wpa-supplicant for the wifi manually.

Anyway, this is fun, and I'm considering other places to deploy ZeroTier, as it pretty much does something I've been wanting to do for years.
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to Vk3jed on Fri Apr 12 01:09:16 2019
    On 12 Apr 2019, Vk3jed said the following...
    Anyway, this is fun, and I'm considering other places to deploy
    ZeroTier, as it pretty much does something I've been wanting to do for years. --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux

So I'm liking it more and more.

Today I added my DOSbox bbs to zerotier - its :2 on my IPv6 addressing, however, it looks like dosbox doesnt like IPv6 :(

Anyway, I also discovered, when adding it, it didnt find the zerotier network (or maybe it was taking too long and I was impatient - its normally amazingly fast.

Anyway, I added my moon config, and it instantly found the network, which
    gives me the confidence this network can run if zerotier disappears (or has a major outage).

The controller I'm using doesnt have a good UI (its actually incomplete), but for fun I'm going to write a new one - and for even more fun, I'll make it answer to netmails. Which means Paul, you should be able to "authorise" new requests.

Tony, I'm happy to create a zerotier network for VKradio - if you want to go down that path - and the UI I create will enable you to manage it too.

I'll add a page to my website https://chinwag.leenooks.net on zerotier, including the moon config, so folks can add it easily (if needed).

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    / \ | Chinwag BBS - A BBS on a PI in Docker!
    \_.__.*/ |
    V | Coming from the 'burbs of Melbourne, Australia

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Chinwag | MysticBBS in Docker on a Pi! (21:2/116.1)
  • From apam@21:1/101 to deon on Fri Apr 12 18:44:58 2019

It sounds interesting, I'd like to have a play with this when I get home.

Andrew

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to apam on Fri Apr 12 07:13:38 2019
    On 12 Apr 2019, apam said the following...
    It sounds interesting, I'd like to have a play with this when I get home.

Awesome :)

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    / \ | Chinwag BBS - A BBS on a PI in Docker!
    \_.__.*/ |
    V | Coming from the 'burbs of Melbourne, Australia

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/02/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Chinwag | MysticBBS in Docker on a Pi! (21:2/116.1)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to deon on Fri Apr 12 20:51:04 2019
    On 12 Apr 2019 at 01:09a, deon pondered and said...

The controller I'm using doesnt have a good UI (its actually
    incomplete), but for fun I'm going to write a new one - and for even
    more fun, I'll make it answer to netmails. Which means Paul, you should
    be able to "authorise" new requests.

Deon you're doing some great experimenting good sir... I'll be guided by your expertise in this area and thank you for any assistance / advice you are able to offer.

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to deon on Fri Apr 12 18:33:00 2019
    On 04-12-19 01:09, deon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Cool. I haven't had a lot of time to play yet, but I've put The Bridge on IPv6 (all services) and Freeway's mailer up on ZeroTier so far. Have to restart Synchronet to get that BBS on the network.

Today I added my DOSbox bbs to zerotier - its :2 on my IPv6 addressing, however, it looks like dosbox doesnt like IPv6 :(

Bummer. :(

Anyway, I also discovered, when adding it, it didnt find the zerotier network (or maybe it was taking too long and I was impatient - its normally amazingly fast.

Anyway, I added my moon config, and it instantly found the network,
    which gives me the confidence this network can run if zerotier
    disappears (or has a major outage).

Sounds like it's pretty robust, if it knows where its moons are. Good to see.

The controller I'm using doesnt have a good UI (its actually
    incomplete), but for fun I'm going to write a new one - and for even
    more fun, I'll make it answer to netmails. Which means Paul, you should
    be able to "authorise" new requests.

Tony, I'm happy to create a zerotier network for VKradio - if you want
    to go down that path - and the UI I create will enable you to manage it too.

Cool, I might look into that, or into creating my own network for other purposes. Food for thought.

I'll add a page to my website https://chinwag.leenooks.net on zerotier, including the moon config, so folks can add it easily (if needed).

Keep me posted. :)

... Mental Floss prevents Moral Decay.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)