• MajorBBS

From esc@21:1/112 to All on Fri Jan 4 03:58:52 2019
    Hey guys, I've been trying to get MajorBBS running in dosemu and have been having a bear of a time. I see Nexace on soc4ever.com has evidently done this (confirmed if http://major.butt.care/index.php/Main_Page is any indication)
    but I'm struggling.

I have a 32 bit VM with DosEMU which allows 16 bit door games to work. I have been able to install MajorBBS 6.25, barebones. I have created a virtual
    network via /dev/tun0 and have allowed MajorBBS to bind to some arbitrary
    fake IP address and bridge that to an actual ethernet card. From inside the linux box itself, I can telnet to that IP successfully.

Problems are as follows:
    1 - Can't seem to figure out how to make incoming telnet calls to the actual server IP get forwarded to the fake IP.
    2 - Need to make sure my firewall only actually accepts incoming telnet attempts on eth1 (eth0 is gated to the open internet, eth1 is an internal network among other servers). This has added a degree of complication for me.
    3 - Can't seem to install doors or anything. Any time I try to update the "menu" on MajorBBS it freezes. In fact, this damn thing freezes all the time.
    I suspect Nexace has figured out the magic configuration and cracked the code here with DosEMU, but I am struggling!
    4 - Once it's all hooked up, can it even do RLogin the way we mystic
    familiars think about RLogin? I'd like to skip the user registration/login stuff and just treat MajorBBS like a door, sorta like DoorParty or something like that.

Once I figure all this garbage out, I'd like to figure out how to do this on TBBS. The reason I'm interested in MajorBBS and TBBS is because their door games are unique and second to none. Anyone interested in helping out?

Thanks!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to esc on Fri Jan 4 18:53:40 2019
    esc wrote to All <=-

I have a 32 bit VM with DosEMU which allows 16 bit door games to work.
    I have been able to install MajorBBS 6.25, barebones. I have created a virtual network via /dev/tun0 and have allowed MajorBBS to bind to some arbitrary fake IP address and bridge that to an actual ethernet card.
    From inside the linux box itself, I can telnet to that IP successfully.

I might be wrong (i.e. it may have been pure user error), but I tried
    running a 32-bit linux vm on a 64-bit box. I got the networking working fine... both the host and the vm had their own IPA and could talk to each
    other and other network machines. However, I was not able to get the
    virtual network to extend to the dosemu instance running in the vm. I
    half-way wondered if it was because I was effectively running a vm (dosemu) inside of a vm.

I dunno but I never could get it to work that way.

... Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks
    --- MultiMail
    * Origin: Possum Lodge South * possumso.fsxnet.nz:7636/SSH:2122 (21:4/134)
  • From esc@21:1/112 to Blue White on Sun Jan 6 06:56:02 2019
    I might be wrong (i.e. it may have been pure user error), but I tried running a 32-bit linux vm on a 64-bit box. I got the networking working fine... both the host and the vm had their own IPA and could talk to each other and other network machines. However, I was not able to get the virtual network to extend to the dosemu instance running in the vm. I half-way wondered if it was because I was effectively running a vm (dosemu) inside of a vm.

I think the 32 bit portion is ok here, because I have 16 bit doors working
    fine (which won't work at all on 64 bit, especially doors like TW2002).
    Though I suppose it _could_ be networking related...can't tell for sure :/

I have been able to make this work on a Windows VM with DosBox. Problem is,
    it sucks. Speed is crap. Would much rather have this running on a headless server in dosemu :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From Ozz Nixon@21:1/144 to esc on Tue Feb 12 13:38:30 2019
    Hello esc.

04 Jan 19 03:58, you wrote to all:

this on TBBS. The reason I'm interested in MajorBBS and TBBS is
    because their door games are unique and second to none. Anyone
    interested in helping out?

Would love to participate... especially on reverse engineering their doors. I have been aquiring many door companies in the late 90's... so I have tons of doors -- however, I have the built tools to help me capture all ANSI streams. It would just require putting some heads together to guess the algorithms... and viola a new flavor of chocolate is born ;-)

Ozz

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4
    * Origin: Author: QuickBBS 3ml, PCBoard 16, Rhenium, Modern Pascal (21:1/144)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Ozz Nixon on Thu Feb 14 12:35:46 2019
    Would love to participate... especially on reverse engineering their doors. I have been aquiring many door companies in the late 90's... so I have tons of doors -- however, I have the built tools to help me capture all ANSI streams. It would just require putting some heads together to guess the algorithms... and viola a new flavor of chocolate is born ;-)

I'd like to pre-order a few boxes.. :)

I have a friend running PCBoard.. so it's good to see PCBoard and others getting the attention they need/deserve.. :)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Atreyu@21:1/176 to Ozz Nixon on Thu Feb 14 23:08:22 2019
    On 12 Feb 19 13:38:31, Ozz Nixon said the following to Esc:

this on TBBS. The reason I'm interested in MajorBBS and TBBS is because their door games are unique and second to none. Anyone interested in helping out?

Would love to participate... especially on reverse engineering their doors. have been aquiring many door companies in the late 90's... so I have tons o

What was interesting about TBBS was that it could run Dbase-III applications as doors. It made that software extremely appealing for businesses.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (21:1/176)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Atreyu on Fri Feb 15 07:15:14 2019
    Re: Re: MajorBBS
    By: Atreyu to Ozz Nixon on Thu Feb 14 2019 11:08 pm

What was interesting about TBBS was that it could run Dbase-III applications as doors. It made that software extremely appealing for businesses.

TBBS? I didn't know that. Throw a digiboard with 16 modems on a box and run that, and you've got and intranet before there was an internet.

I ran an application back in 1991 called Excellenet. It connected a retailer's DOS-based point-of-sale systems together. After the store closed, they'd finalize their sales figures and close the register. At a set time, the store could call out over its modem to the Excellenet system and request a new copy of the price lookup file, then upload their sales figures to Excellenet. The file names were hex coded representations of the store numbers, to be unique.

Sound familiar? I kept seeing commercial applications for FTN wherever I looked.
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Win32
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From Ozz Nixon@21:1/144 to Atreyu on Fri Feb 15 10:51:06 2019
    Hello Atreyu.

14 Feb 19 23:08, you wrote to me:

On 12 Feb 19 13:38:31, Ozz Nixon said the following to Esc:

this on TBBS. The reason I'm interested in MajorBBS and TBBS
    is
    because their door games are unique and second to none.
    Anyone
    interested in helping out?

Would love to participate... especially on reverse engineering
    their doors. have been aquiring many door companies in the late
    90's... so I have tons o

That is great to know - as I acquired Halcyon (Delphi dBase III+ Engine). Which
    has a SHELL component to run dBase FORMs etc as if my APP was the dBase.exe - did not think about it, but, I could merge SHELL into my CodeRunner server and viola same feature. (Halcyon is already merged into CodeRunner).

* CodeRunner is my node.js type of engine - accepts connections and runs scripts - but provides a wide RTL like M$'s .net CLR framework.

Ozz

--- FMail-W32 2.0.1.4
    * Origin: Author: QuickBBS 3ml, PCBoard 16, Rhenium, Modern Pascal (21:1/144)