• Re: Usenet(iDistDistro?

From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Avon on Thu Dec 20 07:25:10 2018
    On 21-Dec-2018 03:59, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

While we are talking echomail, what if someone wants to netmail someone who's on the new technology privately from a legacy system, how do we ensure that happens in a transparent matter? Sure we can do the Fidonet
    - email style gateway thing, but that is ugly, especially for the non Fidonet side. :)

I don't know and I think that kind of question may be premature at this point. Important to hash out over time, but still premature in my mind.
    At this stage we're still just kicking ideas around for alternative
    ways to transport public/private messages. But I do take your point.

I disagree. If these issues are not taken into consideration early, then we are likely to end up with another hodge podge of mismatched protocols. :/

... This tagline is restricted to day VFR use only.
    --- MultiMail/Win
    * Origin: Bush Track BBS (21:1/109.1)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 20:47:32 2018
    On 12/20/18, vk3jed pondered and said...

I don't know and I think that kind of question may be premature at th point. Important to hash out over time, but still premature in my min At this stage we're still just kicking ideas around for alternative ways to transport public/private messages. But I do take your point.

I disagree. If these issues are not taken into consideration early,
    then we are likely to end up with another hodge podge of mismatched protocols. :/

Yep OK like I say I take your point. I just think inter-operabilty with
    older FTN 'legacy' systems may not be as high on the list unless it's seen to be by those developing something new. Indeed they may seek to distance themselves from that notion else be locked in to something that is the very thing they are trying to iterate away from - the confines of existing
    standards and ways things have been done.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/16 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Avon on Thu Dec 20 08:16:44 2018
    On 21-Dec-2018 07:47, Avon wrote to vk3jed <=-

Yep OK like I say I take your point. I just think inter-operabilty with older FTN 'legacy' systems may not be as high on the list unless it's
    seen to be by those developing something new. Indeed they may seek to distance themselves from that notion else be locked in to something
    that is the very thing they are trying to iterate away from - the
    confines of existing standards and ways things have been done.

I think to some extent, there is a way to have our cake and eat it too. Legacy
    systems ARE going to stay around, and most of these will be running closed source abandonware. That's the reality of our hobby.

... If it walks out of your refrigerator, let it go.
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 21:38:04 2018
    On 12/20/18, vk3jed pondered and said...

I think to some extent, there is a way to have our cake and eat it too. Legacy systems ARE going to stay around, and most of these will be
    running closed source abandonware. That's the reality of our hobby.

For now but when you look at what some developers here are doing in the open source space I think the future has brighter prospects for greater shared co-creation and for those that want to keep stuff closed source there's still good engagement and discussions to be had that might entice them to adopt or develop something similar that works in harmony with the open source guys :)

I agree legacy systems have a place and will be around for some time to come but that doesn't need to be the future reality of our hobby :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/16 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Avon on Thu Dec 20 09:51:46 2018
    On 21-Dec-2018 08:38, Avon wrote to vk3jed <=-

For now but when you look at what some developers here are doing in the open source space I think the future has brighter prospects for greater shared co-creation and for those that want to keep stuff closed source there's still good engagement and discussions to be had that might
    entice them to adopt or develop something similar that works in harmony with the open source guys :)

Well, I was making the point about the abandonware that people insist on running. :)

I agree legacy systems have a place and will be around for some time to come but that doesn't need to be the future reality of our hobby :)

I see them as a part of the hobby. While we need to move forward, we also need
    to ensure we can accommodate those who want to preserve older aspects of the hobby are not left behind, or in other words, to paraphrace an article from Andrew's newsletter, we don't want to create a new brand of "elites". :)

... Don't force it, get a larger hammer.
    --- MultiMail/Win