• Secure Comms

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Wed Dec 19 16:22:02 2018
    With the work being done by BBS authors to offer a more secure BBS experience to users (SSH, encrypted passwords etc.) and secure traffic sent/recieved between systems (encrypted Binkp etc.) it seems now more than ever folks are mindful of developing software with security of communications in mind.

I wonder if BBS developers that are active here would be open to exploring new protocols (or re-tasking contemporary ones) so that new agreed standards to further develop software for secure, robust interconnected BBS can be agreed upon and implemented between contemporary systems?

I am not a security expert and don't profess to know a alot about this
    stuff... but I like the idea of

- communications being read/sent on contemporary BBS and between BBS in a timely, reliable and secure (ie. free from external snooping) manner

- contemporary mesh networking technologies being used to ensure network robustness between nodes and the free flow of communications unimpeded by the failure of a centralised hub > node distributed flow of data,

I'm just posting this to start a conversation and gauge interest, support and ideas in this subject :)

I guess in this increasingly 'digital footprint' aware world. I think it's an opportune time to leverage the simple communications interface that messaging on a BBS affords a user/sysop and apply 2018 know-how and security best practice and rigor to how those communications can be made secure.

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/16 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 03:36:06 2018
    On 12/19/18, Avon said the following...
    I'm just posting this to start a conversation and gauge interest,
    support and ideas in this subject :)

My last post will show that I'm thinking of this topic.

One thing I'm struggling through is:

* Keeping legacy tools active (many of us are here re-living our 20's through that software)

* Leveraging today's protocols.

I think we can compliment "the network" with today's protocols, so that the legacy systems can continue as they were originally designed. I'd like to
    see that...

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    / \ | Chinwag BBS - A BBS on a PI in Docker!
    \_.__.*/ |
    V | Coming from the 'burbs of Melbourne, Australia

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Chinwag | MysticBBS in Docker on a Pi! (21:2/116.1)
  • From apam@21:1/125 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 14:00:00 2018
    I wonder if BBS developers that are active here would be open to
    exploring new protocols (or re-tasking contemporary ones) so that new agreed standards to further develop software for secure, robust interconnected BBS can be agreed upon and implemented between
    contemporary systems?

I don't know. I'm happy to implement new things, but I am not an expert
    on security and I know nothing about mesh networking.

I'm not sure exactly what you want, and I don't understand how we could
    make public messages more secure by encrypting them during travel,
    because they're public at the end points. Private messages could be
    encrypted between systems, but the sysop would still be able to read the messages. For fully private messages, I can see PGP being used, perhaps
    even embedded into client terminals - but that wouldn't need to change
    the transport.

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Tue Dec 18 22:22:52 2018
    On Tuesday, December 18th apam muttered...
    I'm not sure exactly what you want, and I don't understand how we could make public messages more secure by encrypting them during travel, because they're public at the end points. Private messages could be encrypted between systems, but the sysop would still be able to read the messages. For fully private messages, I can see PGP being used, perhaps even embedded into client terminals - but that wouldn't need to change the transport.

For public messages, there is still a goal of keeping them out of 3rd party hands. (ie: Users of a system(s) are authorized, everyone else is not.). This is only as strong as the weakest link though: If any system allows non-secure, it's all for not. It sounds like g00r00 has some Bink (TLS?) thing he's been working on - this could work with legacy systems, but again only if *all* the systems in the network used it; And did not expose via other non-secure methods.

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.9-alpha (linux; x64; 10.13.0)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to deon on Wed Dec 19 06:25:42 2018
    On 19-Dec-2018 14:36, deon wrote to Avon <=-

My last post will show that I'm thinking of this topic.

* Keeping legacy tools active (many of us are here re-living our 20's through that software)

Yes, balancing those two will be tough. It may be that those using legacy systems have to refrain from doing certain things, but we can use the modern stuff to help with that.

I think we can compliment "the network" with today's protocols, so that the legacy systems can continue as they were originally designed. I'd
    like to see that...

Me too!

... Accuracy is our watchword -- we NEVER make misteaks!
    --- MultiMail/Win
    * Origin: Bush Track BBS (21:1/109.1)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to deon on Wed Dec 19 21:55:46 2018
    On 12/19/18, deon pondered and said...

Yep I agree. I think it may be a case of software developers opting to either follow one of several pathways

1. add extra features being discussed in this thread but wanting to ensure total or partial backwards compatibility

2. creating a variation of their software that is known to be .. shall we
    say, not backwards FTN compatible but rather uses new concepts and protocols unencumbered by having to be backwards compatible.

3. not wanting to create BBS software that is anything other than a contemporary (I mean using current tech standards etc. like SSH etc.) version of what BBS was in the 80's/90's

I think we can compliment "the network" with today's protocols, so that the legacy systems can continue as they were originally designed. I'd
    like to see that...

I think it will take some good conversations amongst interested users and
    devs to flesh out where the desire to try new things starts and ends. That's
    a good and interesting conversation to have.

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Wed Dec 19 21:58:50 2018
    On 12/19/18, apam pondered and said...

I don't know. I'm happy to implement new things, but I am not an expert
    on security and I know nothing about mesh networking.

You and me both :)

I'm not sure exactly what you want, and I don't understand how we could make public messages more secure by encrypting them during travel,
    because they're public at the end points. Private messages could be encrypted between systems, but the sysop would still be able to read the messages. For fully private messages, I can see PGP being used, perhaps even embedded into client terminals - but that wouldn't need to change
    the transport.

The weakest link scenario springs to mind certainly. I'm proposing a system a user access via the likes of SSH to keep user to system links secure. Then messages read/posted to be encrypted or at least sent using secure encrypted fashion between other nodes.

Yes I agree something like PGP and have also been interested in spinning up a NET in fsxNet for testing a similar concept with interested folks :)

• From Avon@21:1/101 to NuSkooler on Wed Dec 19 22:05:06 2018
    On 12/18/18, NuSkooler pondered and said...

not.). This is only as strong as the weakest link though: If any system allows non-secure, it's all for not. It sounds like g00r00 has some Bink (TLS?) thing he's been working on - this could work with legacy systems, but again only if *all* the systems in the network used it; And did not expose via other non-secure methods.

This is where I get annoyed at web interfaces that expose data to search bots that index it and allow folks to display it via google searches etc.

I'm not against web interfaces per say but I think if someone wanted to run communications in a secure fashion and a node involved in the network sent/recieved messages securely.. but still offered them all up via a
    crawlable HTML interface... again it's all for naught :(

• From deon@21:2/116.1 to vk3jed on Wed Dec 19 09:07:52 2018
    On 12/19/18, vk3jed said the following...
    Yes, balancing those two will be tough. It may be that those using
    legacy systems have to refrain from doing certain things, but we can use the modern stuff to help with that.

I dont think so - but when I can pilot something, I'll put it out there to
    try and see if it works.

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From Sargon@21:4/107 to vk3jed on Wed Dec 19 09:32:52 2018
    I'd be interested in contributing here. Institutionally, I think there is something innovative/key here with what we're doing with BBSes (even though I can't express it fully at the moment).

* One really incredible thing that was done in the 80s and 90s was building
    a network without a central infrastructure or authority. Sure we used the public phone system, but what was overlaid atop was much more functional.
    What could be done today in that spirit? Could we use some of the long-range wireless technologies to build a network (perhaps in a mesh) that operates
    via a community vs. on the commercial Internet?

Here's some of my thoughts on the topic:
    * Securing communications is key. Related to that is the concept of authenticity. Having the ability to have some level of certainty that a message is authentic (i.e. not modified, spoofed, suppressed) even is such a message is public (e.g. EchoMail), knowing that it's been handled by trusted nodes, etc. is a good concept for us to thing about. Again, some of this is already in place but there are improvements we could consider.
    * What can be done to extend communications to areas where the Internet is still not widely available or affordable. One advantage of the BBS systems
    is that they were relatively efficient on the wire out of necessity. Could they be used to bring affordable comms to others. For example, could we use similar technology to FidoNet/FsxNet on a mobile device that has a
    pay-per-bit data plan in underdeveloped areas?

Other comments below.

On 19-Dec-2018 14:36, deon wrote to Avon <=-

legacy systems have to refrain from doing certain things, but we can use the modern stuff to help with that.
    I agree, balancing these will be a challenge. The one thing I will say is
    that the legacy protocols work and have worked for a long period of time.
    Thus there is probably little use in simply replacing them. Instead perhaps
    we can focus on the parts of the system that are not or have not worked well
    in the past. For example, is there something we can do to add nodes, update the node list, etc. which could make this more automated but still secure?

Cheers,
    Sargon

* Origin: Centarus (21:4/107)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to deon on Wed Dec 19 20:26:00 2018
    On 12-19-18 09:07, deon wrote to vk3jed <=-

I dont think so - but when I can pilot something, I'll put it out there
    to try and see if it works.

I'm interested to see how you go. This sounds like a worthwhile project.

... Years of development: We finally got one to work.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Sargon on Wed Dec 19 20:56:00 2018
    On 12-19-18 09:32, Sargon wrote to vk3jed <=-

* One really incredible thing that was done in the 80s and 90s was building a network without a central infrastructure or authority. Sure
    we used the public phone system, but what was overlaid atop was much
    more functional. What could be done today in that spirit? Could we use some of the long-range wireless technologies to build a network
    (perhaps in a mesh) that operates via a community vs. on the commercial Internet?

Well, I see us doing the same overlaid on the Internet. Wifi is not practical except in high population density areas. From my perspective as possibly the only BBS sysop/user in a city of 100,000 people with the nearest BBS person being in Melbourne, 150km away.

Here's some of my thoughts on the topic:
    * Securing communications is key. Related to that is the concept of authenticity. Having the ability to have some level of certainty that
    a message is authentic (i.e. not modified, spoofed, suppressed) even is such a message is public (e.g. EchoMail), knowing that it's been
    handled by trusted nodes, etc. is a good concept for us to thing about.
    Again, some of this is already in place but there are improvements we could consider.

I agree there. :)

* What can be done to extend communications to areas where the
    Internet is still not widely available or affordable. One advantage of the BBS systems is that they were relatively efficient on the wire out
    of necessity. Could they be used to bring affordable comms to others.
    For example, could we use similar technology to FidoNet/FsxNet on a
    mobile device that has a pay-per-bit data plan in underdeveloped areas?

There's no reason FTN or a variant of it can't be used for these cases. FTN is highly efficient when it comes to getting a lot of text over limited bandwidth.
    FTN is also great for intermittent connectivity, since that's what it was designed for. I'd say we need a new transport for the always on, less secure and gihhly connected Internet, but can still use FTN for the fringes and legacy systems..

... The only thing wrong with immortality is that it tends to go on forever. === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From echicken@21:1/164 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 08:14:40 2018
    Re: Re: Secure Comms
    By: Avon to NuSkooler on Wed Dec 19 2018 22:05:07

I'm not against web interfaces per say but I think if someone wanted to run communications in a secure fashion and a node involved in the network sent/recieved messages securely.. but still offered them all up via a crawlable HTML interface... again it's all for naught :(

Once you send a message out, of any kind, you lose a lot of control over what the person/people on the other end might do with it. The contents can be exposed in many ways.

I had someone complain about this re: the Synchronet web interface years ago. I guess they thought they were in the 'underground' and putting stuff on the web was lame. If the BBS hosting the web interface had blocked guest access to those message areas, crawlers would not have been able to see them. This was a case of the weakest link dictating the level of exposure for these messages.

I can see privacy in that sense being a thing for netmail, but it'd be a losing battle for messages to 'public' areas. Distributing these messages to all kinds of different people who might do anything with them is sort of baked into the concept of these message networks.

Securing the links and ensuring authenticity of what gets posted is one thing, but even if this stuff isn't on the web you don't have lots of control over how any BBS on the network grants access to it.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
    * Origin: electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com (21:1/164)
  • From Sargon@21:4/107 to Vk3jed on Wed Dec 19 18:04:56 2018
    On 12-19-18 09:32, Sargon wrote to vk3jed <=-

* One really incredible thing that was done in the 80s and 90s was building a network without a central infrastructure or authority. Su we used the public phone system, but what was overlaid atop was much more functional. What could be done today in that spirit? Could we u some of the long-range wireless technologies to build a network (perhaps in a mesh) that operates via a community vs. on the commerci Internet?

Well, I see us doing the same overlaid on the Internet. Wifi is not practical except in high population density areas. From my perspective
    as possibly the only BBS sysop/user in a city of 100,000 people with the nearest BBS person being in Melbourne, 150km away.
    Agreed on Wi-Fi, the distance is too short. I was suggesting technologies
    such as LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, LTE-M which have ranges in the 10s of KMs. Not to
    say an overlay over the Internet shouldn't be done as well. Personallly I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 11:10:32 2018
    On Wednesday, December 19th Avon was heard saying...
    This is where I get annoyed at web interfaces that expose data to search bots that index it and allow folks to display it via google searches etc.

I think it's *generally* fine for fully public bases. But I can see why there may be an annoyance. (BTW: If you want me to disable any of the FSX* exported stuff Xibalba does via Gopher or NNTP, let me know, it's no problem!)

There are levels of security here. Even with something like PGP, I could turn around and publicly post a message I decrypted. There is some trust involved. A
    system that at least doesn't transfer messages over plain text, and a network that has a ruleset of disallowing at least certain areas/etc. in non-secure ways is a start. Outside of that realm it gets a bit harder to do things without specialized clients.

• From Tiny@21:1/130.4 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 16:32:06 2018
    I guess in this increasingly 'digital footprint' aware world. I think

I think moving forward the trick is:

1) Create a new way of doing things.
    2) DO NOT WORRY ABOUT BACKWARDS STANDARDS
    3) The old way still works. The new way with security does not need to
    replace the 50 year old fidonet standards. That way no one gets shouted
    at by the elf lords.

If they only knew Apam had a BBS that could use SQL instead of dos
    based message bases from 30 years ago, they would lose their minds.

Shawn

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/armv7l)
    * Origin: A Tiny slice o pi (21:1/130.4)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Tiny on Thu Dec 20 11:33:38 2018
    On 12/19/18, Tiny pondered and said...

3) The old way still works. The new way with security does not need to replace the 50 year old fidonet standards. That way no one gets shouted at by the elf lords.

Can't say I disagree :)

It will be interesting to see what can be thought up, created, developed etc. by interested developers in partnership with the BBS community of users,
    sysops etc. who have interest and passion to progress this space in to new areas.

• From apam@21:1/125 to Tiny on Thu Dec 20 08:51:02 2018
    I guess in this increasingly 'digital footprint' aware world. I th

3) The old way still works. The new way with security does not need
    to replace the 50 year old fidonet standards. That way no one gets
    shouted at by the elf lords.

Totally agree.

Oh and Nu, enigma has sqlite message bases too, and he doesn't have JAM
    as an option! (Sorry Nu, but if the elf lords are coming with torches and
    pitch forks, better you than me :P)

Andrew

• From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Thu Dec 20 12:23:34 2018
    On 12/20/18, apam pondered and said...

as an option! (Sorry Nu, but if the elf lords are coming with torches and pitch forks, better you than me :P)

Hahahaha...

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Wed Dec 19 20:08:24 2018
    not.). This is only as strong as the weakest link though: If any system allows non-secure, it's all for not. It sounds like g00r00 has some Bink (TLS?) thing he's been working on - this could work with legacy systems,

Yep, Mystic's BINKP does full TLS 1.3 with other Mystic systems if its enabled.

You can also force it at both the client and server level to refuse to communicate with servers that do not have TLS enabled or offered, so you can
    in theory build a secure network (at least during transmission) using the existing technology... They just all have to use Mystic unless other people adapt the same.

BINKD does have an encryption option but its not secure so not reason to consider it, in my opinion.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to All on Thu Dec 20 01:13:14 2018
    On 12/19/18, Tiny said the following...

I came across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSbNdBmWKE

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From apam@21:1/125 to deon on Thu Dec 20 11:26:48 2018

I came across this...

I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. There's a
    few platforms like that GNU social, and some others.

Andrew

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Sargon on Thu Dec 20 12:29:00 2018
    On 12-19-18 18:04, Sargon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Agreed on Wi-Fi, the distance is too short. I was suggesting
    technologies such as LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, LTE-M which have ranges in the
    10s of KMs. Not to say an overlay over the Internet shouldn't be done
    as well. Personallly I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

What sort of bitrate can you get on those technologies? I've done a little reading on LoRaWAN, and it's intriguing, but according to Shannon's Law, there is still a tradeoff between effective range and bitrate, thanks to the presence of noise. I'm not familiar with the other technologies, though the name "LTE-N" suggests this one is related in some way to mobile phone 4G LTE. Here, even 10s of km is way short (my current first hop requirement is around 150km), but I have some ideas for getting local tech nerds connected. :)

And yes, no reason why a combination of Internet and RF technologies can't be used. Hams have been doing that for decades now. The first case I'm aware of that utilised the Intenret is packet radio "wormholes" that date back to at least the very early 90s.

... If it walks out of your refrigerator, let it go.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Avon on Thu Dec 20 12:49:00 2018
    On 12-20-18 11:33, Avon wrote to Tiny <=-

On 12/19/18, Tiny pondered and said...

3) The old way still works. The new way with security does not need to replace the 50 year old fidonet standards. That way no one gets shouted at by the elf lords.

Can't say I disagree :)

It will be interesting to see what can be thought up, created,
    developed etc. by interested developers in partnership with the BBS community of users, sysops etc. who have interest and passion to
    progress this space in to new areas.

My view is work on new technical standards, but in ways that will allow those using legacy systems to make a single point connection to the nextgen network. I'd like to see gateways between the legacy and new technologies as transparent as possible to the end users, regardless of what side of the fence they're on. And we also need to ensure that mail between legacy systems with the nextgen links between is not impacted. So for example, one can netmail me at 21:1/109, regardless of where they are on the network, or what generation of technology they're running, or even what's in between along the path.

... Discoveries are often made by not following instructions.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to apam on Thu Dec 20 12:51:00 2018
    On 12-20-18 08:51, apam wrote to Tiny <=-

Oh and Nu, enigma has sqlite message bases too, and he doesn't have JAM
    as an option! (Sorry Nu, but if the elf lords are coming with torches
    and pitch forks, better you than me :P)

Shall I risk the pitchforks and convert my Magicka messagebases to SQLite? :D

... There's nothing a vulture hates more than biting into a glass eye.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to apam on Thu Dec 20 02:00:12 2018
    On 12/20/18, apam said the following...
    I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. There's a few platforms like that GNU social, and some others.

I just signed up @deon@linuxrocks.online

Looks like they have docker deployment, I could spin up an instance pretty quickly...

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From apam@21:1/125 to deon on Thu Dec 20 12:11:56 2018
    On 12/20/18, apam said the following...
    I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. Th

I just signed up @deon@linuxrocks.online

I just added you :)

Looks like they have docker deployment, I could spin up an instance
    pretty quickly...

Cool.

Andrew

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Wed Dec 19 19:23:32 2018
    On Wednesday, December 19th apam muttered...
    Oh and Nu, enigma has sqlite message bases too, and he doesn't have JAM as an option! (Sorry Nu, but if the elf lords are coming with torches and pitch forks, better you than me :P)

Bwahaha!

At some point I'll probably at JAM as another "external" I/O for messaging just
    like FTN, NNTP, and Gopher. ...but I have zero regrets of using SQLite vs JAM or any other old format haha

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 19 19:26:54 2018
    On Wednesday, December 19th g00r00 muttered...
    BINKD does have an encryption option but its not secure so not reason to consider it, in my opinion.

Agree.

Is there anything special about your Bink/TLS system or is it simply the existing Bink protocol over TLS? Hell, one could set up a TLS proxy if it's the
    latter.

• From deon@21:2/116.1 to Vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 02:25:18 2018
    On 12/20/18, Vk3jed said the following...
    (my current first hop requirement is around 150km), but I have some
    ideas for getting local tech nerds connected. :)

How? I'm a tech nerd... :)

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Wed Dec 19 19:29:04 2018
    I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. There's a few platforms like that GNU social, and some others.

Which one did you go with? I'm on Mastadon, but it's mostly a ghosttown & I'm on a fairly active instance haha

• From apam@21:1/125 to NuSkooler on Thu Dec 20 12:37:34 2018

I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. Th

Which one did you go with? I'm on Mastadon, but it's mostly a
    ghosttown & I'm on a fairly active instance haha

mastodon.cloud

Andrew

• From Avon@21:1/101 to echicken on Thu Dec 20 16:22:42 2018
    On 12/19/18, echicken pondered and said...

I'm not against web interfaces per say but I think if someone wanted run communications in a secure fashion and a node involved in the net sent/recieved messages securely.. but still offered them all up via a crawlable HTML interface... again it's all for naught :(

Once you send a message out, of any kind, you lose a lot of control over what the person/people on the other end might do with it. The contents can be exposed in many ways.

I agree to a point. When I talk (perhaps naively) about 'secure' I'm talking about content being un-tampered with from creation to recipient receipt, content being encoded so that only the intended recipient can get at the actual message etc.

Once that final plain content is received if it's then exposed by the
    recipient to a wider audience etc. well..after that all bets are off and
    that's really outside the scope of what any message network with an ethos of security and robustness of delivery can account for.

I had someone complain about this re: the Synchronet web interface years ago. I guess they thought they were in the 'underground' and putting
    stuff on the web was lame. If the BBS hosting the web interface had blocked guest access to those message areas, crawlers would not have
    been able to see them. This was a case of the weakest link dictating
    the level of exposure for these messages.

Yep agreed.

I can see privacy in that sense being a thing for netmail, but it'd be a losing battle for messages to 'public' areas. Distributing these
    messages to all kinds of different people who might do anything with
    them is sort of baked into the concept of these message networks.

I think public 'many to many' or 'one to many' discussions in a message
    network should be conducted so that they are securely sent between systems and present in an unaltered / untampered way. I agree anyone within a network of discussion could do anything with them. But I don't think that should negate attempting to create something new that ensures messages public or private
    flow in a secure (as described above) way.

Attempts to progress this using TLS etc. in the BBS context are a good move IMHO :)

Securing the links and ensuring authenticity of what gets posted is one thing, but even if this stuff isn't on the web you don't have lots of control over how any BBS on the network grants access to it.

That's true in the current context of how BBS operate. But what if that changed? I'm not sure how that new shape of BBS might look but I'm just proffering that nothing is set in stone :)

It's funny I look at BBS these days and see them as a much as a user would
    view an email client. I'd say for most of us chatting here we are the
    (almost) sole users of our BBS software. But of course the history of BBSing, indeed it's very name 'bulletin board' spotlights the more wider and
    public original orientation / focus for the software.

I think it's good that BBS software still has that mandate/functionalty about it. You could certainly say it might invite more to use it as it can be accessible or as closed an online ecosystem as the person running it dictates.

I'm kind of rambling a bit now, so best I stop. It's nearly dinner time and
    the brain need some food! :)

Best, Paul

• From Avon@21:1/101 to NuSkooler on Thu Dec 20 16:35:18 2018
    On 12/19/18, NuSkooler pondered and said...

This is where I get annoyed at web interfaces that expose data to sea bots that index it and allow folks to display it via google searches

I think it's *generally* fine for fully public bases. But I can see why there may be an annoyance. (BTW: If you want me to disable any of the
    FSX* exported stuff Xibalba does via Gopher or NNTP, let me know, it's
    no problem!)

Hi Nu :) It's all good I have no major concerns in the current context of
    what we're doing in fsxNet. And I think under the experimental banner it's really cool, good, [insert words of praise here] that you're doing stuff in those spaces. :)

There are levels of security here. Even with something like PGP, I could turn around and publicly post a message I decrypted. There is some trust involved. A system that at least doesn't transfer messages over plain text, and a network that has a ruleset of disallowing at least certain areas/etc. in non-secure ways is a start. Outside of that realm it gets
    a bit harder to do things without specialized clients.

I agree, and I think upping the levels of security currently being discussed
    is a good start / think to implement as a new standard way for doing things
    for a future new 'normal' for BBSing in 2019 and beyond.

Heck if all web devs are being admonished for not implementing HTTPS by a big global search giant though lower page rankings and public outing by Chrome as
    a 'potentially not safe' websites... then I think discussions about implementing what may well be considered to be basic levels of internet security in BBS are well overdue.

I think using a PGP key approach could be the (pardon the pun) the key
    to not only ensuring message poster authenticity was confirmed across a new message network, but also to give some degree of control to the original
    poster as to who can read it etc.?

I have some ideas around this that I'd like to explore further.

• From echicken@21:1/164 to Avon on Wed Dec 19 22:45:34 2018
    Re: Secure Comms
    By: Avon to echicken on Thu Dec 20 2018 16:22:42

I agree to a point. When I talk (perhaps naively) about 'secure' I'm talking about content being un-tampered with from creation to recipient receipt, content being encoded so that only the intended recipient can get

Yep, that's what I meant here:

Securing the links and ensuring authenticity of what gets posted is

Once that final plain content is received if it's then exposed by the recipient to a wider audience etc. well..after that all bets are off and

Exactly that. You could discourage people from putting it on the web, etc., but you couldn't really stop it. (I can't think of a great reason why, either.)

one thing, but even if this stuff isn't on the web you don't have
    lots of control over how any BBS on the network grants access to it.

That's true in the current context of how BBS operate. But what if that changed? I'm not sure how that new shape of BBS might look but I'm just proffering that nothing is set in stone :)

To really lock down the content you'd have to control how it can be read / viewed. Even then, the best you can do is make it more trouble than it's
    worth to copy and redistribute it.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
    * Origin: electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com (21:1/164)
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to deon on Thu Dec 20 03:42:08 2018
    On 20-Dec-2018 13:25, deon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

You're not local (in a RF sense :P ).

... An optimist is a man who starts a crossword puzzle with a fountain pen.
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 17:00:10 2018
    On 12/20/18, Vk3jed pondered and said...

My view is work on new technical standards, but in ways that will allow those using legacy systems to make a single point connection to the nextgen network. I'd like to see gateways between the legacy and new technologies as transparent as possible to the end users, regardless of what side of the fence they're on. And we also need to ensure that mail between legacy systems with the nextgen links between is not impacted.
    So for example, one can netmail me at 21:1/109, regardless of where they are on the network, or what generation of technology they're running, or even what's in between along the path.

Thanks Tony, good comments .. cheers ears..

• From deon@21:2/116.1 to vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 04:02:04 2018
    On 12/20/18, vk3jed said the following...

Bugger...

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Wed Dec 19 22:37:42 2018
    mastodon.cloud

I went with mastadon.technology. It shouldn't really matter though IIRC

• From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Avon on Thu Dec 20 07:29:14 2018
    On 21-Dec-2018 04:00, Avon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Thanks Tony, good comments .. cheers ears..

I try. :) But on a mre serious note, I tend to think (1) out of the box and (2) on a more system wide scale, looking for common threads and ways to communicate across boundaries. This is how EchoIRLP came to be, for those who are familiar with that development.

... An aquarium is just interactive television for cats.
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to deon on Thu Dec 20 07:30:30 2018
    On 20-Dec-2018 15:02, deon wrote to vk3jed <=-

Bugger...

Not counting HF, but the achievable bit rates there are so low we're definitely
    looking at store and forward and offline solutions, with as few overheads as possible! :)

... Chocolate has no calories when eaten with friends
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From deon@21:2/116.1 to vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 10:28:00 2018
    Not counting HF, but the achievable bit rates there are so low we're definitely looking at store and forward and offline solutions, with as
    few overheads as possible! :)

How low is low? I'm always up for a challenge.

Oh, and what is HF?

...deon

_--_|\ | Deon George
    \_.__.*/ |

• From tenser@21:1/113 to deon on Thu Dec 20 06:00:50 2018
    On 12/20/18, deon said the following...

Available transfer rates for data-oriented transfer over VHF/UHF
    frequencies accessible from amateur radio vary between 1200
    BAUD to 9600 BAUD.

Oh, and what is HF?

"High Frequency": Frequencies in the ranch from ~1MHz to 30MHz.
    Data rates there are around 300 BAUD.

* Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io (21:1/113)
  • From Sargon@21:4/107 to Vk3jed on Thu Dec 20 13:39:04 2018
    What sort of bitrate can you get on those technologies? I've done a little reading on LoRaWAN, and it's intriguing, but according to
    Shannon's Law, there is still a tradeoff between effective range and bitrate, thanks to the presence of noise. I'm not familiar with the
    other technologies, though the name "LTE-N" suggests this one is related in some way to mobile phone 4G LTE. Here, even 10s of km is way short
    LoRaWAN is in the range of a few tens of kilobytes per second (actually close to old school BBS speeds). 10-50 kbits/s is achievable over a pretty far distance, but not the 100KM span you're needing. What's compelling about LoRaWAN is that it operates on the unlicensed spectrum and thus doesn't
    require a mobile operator to function. There's a fair amount of interesting community projects with the technology. See http://thethingsnetwork.org/ for one.

LTE-M is an IoT technology based on 4G/LTE. It has a slightly higher bitrate around 100 kbits/s. It's lower cost than cellular though it does require a subscription from a mobile operator.

And yes, no reason why a combination of Internet and RF technologies can't be used. Hams have been doing that for decades now. The first caseI'm aware of that utilised the Intenret is packet radio "wormholes" that date back to at least the very early 90s.

Yeah, that's along the lines I've been thinking. You can have a "workhole"
    vis the Internet that that uses something like LoRaWAN to connect a number of participants locally.

Anyway, just some thoughts out loud...

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Tiny on Thu Dec 20 11:51:40 2018

I mean, yeah SQL is arguably slower, as factually more of a resource hog, and introduces more dependency. What are the benefits though?

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Thu Dec 20 12:01:02 2018
    Agree.

Is there anything special about your Bink/TLS system or is it simply the existing Bink protocol over TLS? Hell, one could set up a TLS proxy if it's the latter.

Nothing special, just an opportunistic TLS extension that sits on the current BINKP.

The only real requirement is during handshake each side has to wait for the address frame during the welcome stage just to insure that they've both received the NUL options frame (so they can properly decide if the other side supports TLS). Then the client side sends a TLS frame and waits for the
    ACK from the server before start negotiation. The server sees the TLS frame, sends ACK and immediately starts negotiating the connection.

Probably most implementations just naturally parse options before sending a password anyway, but if they don't that would have to be the only change needed to support the extension. I haven't even looked at the documentation for BINKP anytime recently so it might already be part of the documented state parser.

• From StackFault@21:1/172 to NuSkooler on Thu Dec 20 15:26:10 2018
    BINKD does have an encryption option but its not secure so not reason consider it, in my opinion.

Agree.

Is there anything special about your Bink/TLS system or is it simply the existing Bink protocol over TLS? Hell, one could set up a TLS proxy if it's the latter.

Is it something like STARTTLS or pure TLS. In the latter, stunneling binkp could work too...

|15 ß Þ |15StackFault |08<|03.|11.|15P|11h|03EN|11o|15M|11.|03.|08>
    |11 Ý ß |11The Bottomless Abyss BBS
    |03 ß Ýß |03ssh|08.|072222 |08/ |03telnet|08.|072023 |08/ |03https
    |08 ÜþÞ |08bbs|07.|08bottomlessabyss|07.|08net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS þ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to deon on Fri Dec 21 03:59:22 2018
    On 20-Dec-2018 21:28, deon wrote to vk3jed <=-

Not counting HF, but the achievable bit rates there are so low we're definitely looking at store and forward and offline solutions, with as
    few overheads as possible! :)

Few hundred bits per second most of the time, rarely much more than 1kbps. :) And being half duplex, think slower than 300 baud modem throughput. :D

Oh, and what is HF?

High frequency, AKA "shortwave", in the range 3 - 30 MHz. :)

... Two fonts walk into bar. Bartender says "We don't serve your type here." --- MultiMail/Win
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Sargon on Fri Dec 21 04:05:28 2018
    On 21-Dec-2018 00:39, Sargon wrote to Vk3jed <=-

LoRaWAN is in the range of a few tens of kilobytes per second (actually close to old school BBS speeds). 10-50 kbits/s is achievable over a
    pretty far distance, but not the 100KM span you're needing. What's

That's what I suspected, but still for our purposes, quite a useful speed. Afterall, BBSs were designed to run on slower links. :) As for range, even using amateur power levels (120W averahe power) probably wouldn't help us, there's the earth in the way with some mountains on top (Mt Macedon, etc). :(

compelling about LoRaWAN is that it operates on the unlicensed spectrum and thus doesn't require a mobile operator to function. There's a fair

Yes, that's certainbly a selling point. :)

amount of interesting community projects with the technology. See http://thethingsnetwork.org/ for one.

I have been looking at that one, and there is a local chapter, but unfortunately, they meet midweek evenings, which is really bad for me. :(

LTE-M is an IoT technology based on 4G/LTE. It has a slightly higher bitrate around 100 kbits/s. It's lower cost than cellular though it
    does require a subscription from a mobile operator.

Might as well use a 4G phone. :D

Yeah, that's along the lines I've been thinking. You can have a "workhole" vis the Internet that that uses something like LoRaWAN to connect a number of participants locally.

Anyway, just some thoughts out loud...

Are there suitable serial devices that can be made to look like modems for LoRaWAN? Or ones that are basically a network connection? I'm certainly interested in playing with this technology. Combined with BBSs, it has potential! :)

... Deja Booboo: When you feel you've screwed this up before.
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to StackFault on Fri Dec 21 11:50:30 2018
    Is it something like STARTTLS or pure TLS. In the latter, stunneling
    binkp could work too...

Its opportunistic TLS (so STARTTLS... but the actual frame name is TLS to go along with the 3-character frame identifiers that BINKP uses).

The reason I chose that method is because its fully backwards compatible with the existing server.

• From Sargon@21:4/107 to vk3jed on Fri Dec 21 18:45:56 2018
    On 12/21/18, vk3jed said the following...
    Are there suitable serial devices that can be made to look like modems
    for LoRaWAN? Or ones that are basically a network connection? I'm certainly interested in playing with this technology. Combined with
    BBSs, it has potential! :)

I believe there is some, but need to research further. I have a gateway and device kit on my desk here that just came in, though I've not had a chance to work with it yet. I do know that the board I have supports AT commands so there's some hope that this will be somewhat close to a modem.

Will keep you posted...

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 12:41:58 2018
    On Thursday, December 20th g00r00 was heard saying...
    I mean, yeah SQL is arguably slower, as factually more of a resource hog, and introduces more dependency. What are the benefits though?

I'm not sure at least those first two statements are true at all. "SQL" is simply a language. If we're talking SQLite (I think we are), I'd wager "it" is certainly much faster than any JAM et. al. based message format. Multiple index
    types, and data structures that have been mulled over by many people for many many iterations beat the hell out of the old formats. Not a whole lot of resources, either. These systems work in very tiny embedded scenarios. Dependency I *guess* could be a claim, but linking in a single C file is hardly
    that (of course it can be a pain if not using C).

Now if someone wanted to use MySQL, Postgres, etc. in a BBS... sure. Though again, I *hihgly* doubt you'd even approach the speed.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 12:44:32 2018
    On Thursday, December 20th g00r00 muttered...
    The only real requirement is during handshake each side has to wait for the address frame during the welcome stage just to insure that they've both received the NUL options frame (so they can properly decide if the other side supports TLS). Then the client side sends a TLS frame and waits for the ACK from the server before start negotiation. The server sees the TLS frame, sends ACK and immediately starts negotiating the connection.

I guess I'm more interested in simply putting a TLS proxy in the middle so no code needs written. I'd rather not play in the Bink source code myself. TLS is a transport, so it doesn't really care what's traveling on it. Seems like that's what you described, so a simple proxy should work fine.

• From StackFault@21:1/172 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 15:05:56 2018
    Its opportunistic TLS (so STARTTLS... but the actual frame name is TLS
    to go along with the 3-character frame identifiers that BINKP uses).

The reason I chose that method is because its fully backwards compatible with the existing server.

Yes, I can appreciate that. This is a good idea.

|15 ß Þ |15StackFault |08<|03.|11.|15P|11h|03EN|11o|15M|11.|03.|08>
    |11 Ý ß |11The Bottomless Abyss BBS
    |03 ß Ýß |03ssh|08.|072222 |08/ |03telnet|08.|072023 |08/ |03https
    |08 ÜþÞ |08bbs|07.|08bottomlessabyss|07.|08net

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS þ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 12:51:14 2018
    On Friday, December 21st g00r00 was heard saying...
    Its opportunistic TLS (so STARTTLS... but the actual frame name is TLS to go along with the 3-character frame identifiers that BINKP uses).

Dang, I should have read all the replies here before my previous response.

I think it could still may still be doable with e.g. HAPROXY since it's easy to
    script. May have to look into that soon.

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to NuSkooler on Fri Dec 21 13:56:46 2018
    Re: RE: Secure Comms
    By: NuSkooler to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 2018 12:44 pm

On Thursday, December 20th g00r00 muttered...
    The only real requirement is during handshake each side has to wait for the address frame during the welcome stage just to insure that they've both received the NUL options frame (so they can properly decide if the other side supports TLS). Then the client side sends a TLS frame and waits for the ACK from the server before start negotiation. The server sees the TLS frame, sends ACK and immediately starts negotiating the connection.

I guess I'm more interested in simply putting a TLS proxy in the middle so no code needs written. I'd rather not play in the Bink source code myself. TLS is a transport, so it doesn't really care what's traveling on it. Seems like that's what you described, so a simple proxy should work fine.

Not exactly. What g00r00 described is generally known as "explicit TLS", where one of the peers (the client in this case) requests to transition to a TLS-protected stream (also called "opportunistic TLS", e.g. how SMTP STARTTLS works).

A TLS-proxy would require a TCP port dedicated to a TLS-only mode and this is what is called "implicit TLS" (e.g. how HTTPS works).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #42:
    Rob Swindell was laughed out of a FidoNet Net103 (OC, Calif.) meeting in 1992. Norco, CA WX: 67.0øF, 46.0% humidity, 1 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Tiny@21:1/130.4 to apam on Fri Dec 21 23:19:10 2018
    Quoting apam to Tiny <=-

Oh and Nu, enigma has sqlite message bases too, and he doesn't have
    JAM as an option! (Sorry Nu, but if the elf lords are coming with
    torches and pitch forks, better you than me :P)

Sqlite hasn't been through the FTSC. Totally not something that could
    handle something as important as fightonet.

Shawn

... Nationalise crime, and make sure it doesn't pay.
    --- Blue Wave/386
  • From Tiny@21:1/130.4 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 21 23:20:16 2018
    Quoting g00r00 to Tiny <=-

I mean, yeah SQL is arguably slower, as factually more of a resource
    hog, and introduces more dependency. What are the benefits though?

No clue man. None at all. My point is why not move foward away from
    dos shit? Maybe when someone does something new and exciting we will
    find benefits? Maybe not. I'm just saying why not try?

Shawn

... Windows Error 004: Erronious error. Nothing wrong.
    --- Blue Wave/386
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Sargon on Sat Dec 22 00:05:44 2018
    On 22-Dec-2018 05:45, Sargon wrote to vk3jed <=-

I believe there is some, but need to research further. I have a
    gateway and device kit on my desk here that just came in, though I've
    not had a chance to work with it yet. I do know that the board I have supports AT commands so there's some hope that this will be somewhat
    close to a modem.

Will keep you posted...

Please do, I'd love to play with this technology, and if there's something that
    looks like a modem, that would be perfect.

... "I'm sarcastic, what's your superpower?"
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Digital Man on Fri Dec 21 22:55:32 2018
    On Friday, December 21st Digital Man was heard saying...
    Not exactly. What g00r00 described is generally known as "explicit TLS", where one of the peers (the client in this case) requests to transition to a TLS-protected stream (also called "opportunistic TLS", e.g. how SMTP STARTTLS works).
    A TLS-proxy would require a TCP port dedicated to a TLS-only mode and this is what is called "implicit TLS" (e.g. how HTTPS works).

Heh, thanks for the explinations. I've implemented TLS proxies and MITM more than once from scratch so I'm quite aware of the flavors.

It could still be done with HAPROXY or similar, but it's a shame that it's custom really.

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to NuSkooler on Fri Dec 21 22:12:42 2018
    Re: RE: Secure Comms
    By: NuSkooler to Digital Man on Fri Dec 21 2018 10:55 pm

On Friday, December 21st Digital Man was heard saying...

Heh, thanks for the explinations. I've implemented TLS proxies and MITM more than once from scratch so I'm quite aware of the flavors.

It could still be done with HAPROXY or similar, but it's a shame that it's custom really.

Yup. Implicit TLS is considered more secure, but requires a separate/unique TCP port number, which was originally frowned upon by the IETF dudes but has since been embraced as how TLS protocols "should" be done.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #16:
    David St. Hubbins: I believe virtually everything I read...
    Norco, CA WX: 54.6øF, 79.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to Tiny on Sat Dec 22 08:57:42 2018
    On 22-Dec-2018 10:19, Tiny wrote to apam <=-

Sqlite hasn't been through the FTSC. Totally not something that
    could
    handle something as important as fightonet.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :D

... And now for something you'll really like! -Rocky
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From apam@21:1/125 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 21:08:22 2018
    I'm not sure at least those first two statements are true at all.
    "SQL" is simply a language. If we're talking SQLite (I think we are),

Yep sqlite, but I also plan to make mysql a possiblity, I think it could
    be useful if people want to design their own php-mysql type interfaces on
    top of it.

I'd wager "it" is certainly much faster than any JAM et. al. based
    message format. Multiple index
    types, and data structures that have been mulled over by many people
    for many many iterations beat the hell out of the old formats. Not a
    whole lot of resources, either. These systems work in very tiny
    embedded scenarios.

Well I don't know, I guess it depends on how you are using SQLite. For
    example I would bet Enigma's Sqlite message bases are faster than
    magicka's just because I think you know your way around sqlite better
    than me.

Dependency I *guess* could be a claim, but
    linking in a single C file is hardly that (of course it can be a pain

Yeah that's not an issue for me. SQLite is used for the filebases and
    userbase and other things so is already a dependency.

Now if someone wanted to use MySQL, Postgres, etc. in a BBS... sure.
    Though again, I *hihgly* doubt you'd even approach the speed.

Mysql would just be linking to the connector i think, and of course you
    have to install mysql - so yeah thats a bit more of a dependency, but the
    idea is you don't HAVE to, and I expect most people wont use that as a
    message base, but those who want to (for whatever reason) can.

Andrew

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 10:38:00 2018
    I mean, yeah SQL is arguably slower, as factually more of a resource and introduces more dependency. What are the benefits though?

I'm not sure at least those first two statements are true at all. "SQL"
    is simply a language. If we're talking SQLite (I think we are), I'd
    wager "it" is certainly much faster than any JAM et. al. based message format. Multiple index types, and data structures that have been mulled

If its faster its only because it uses a massive outrageous amount of memory
    to keep things in memory. At the end of the day you're comparing a system
    that parses syntax then performs work based on that syntax and returns formatted results. The work it performs boils down to the same work you'd do directly without SQL...

Its absolutely not faster than directly reading the data unless those things are entirely in memory, in which case you can also do the same with a direct approach.

The only benefit of SQL would be that it is designed for parameter based queries and in that case it excels, but for reading a writing a blob of data from a file its going to be faster to do it directly assuming you index properly.

A long time ago I did benchmarks vs SQLite when we voted to use it or not
    (the vote was to stick with what is there) and there wasn't a gain in doing
    so, and also SQLite struggled significantly when dealing with multiple simultaneous transactions...

This was a long time ago though, and no doubt a lot of that has been resolved or worked around by now.

In this specific case... You also lose the ability to use so many 3rd party applications... there are tons of statistic and maintenance utilities as well as tossers that work with JAM.

Not saying its horrible to use SQLite, I'm just saying that shitting on the existing format isn't really founded.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 10:41:30 2018
    I guess I'm more interested in simply putting a TLS proxy in the middle
    so no code needs written. I'd rather not play in the Bink source code myself. TLS is a transport, so it doesn't really care what's traveling
    on it. Seems like that's what you described, so a simple proxy should
    work fine.

If you're talking about an encrypted transport only yes, but authenticity needs to be considered by the application and of course the client and server need
    a way to handshake.

You could proxy it but you wouldn't be doing opportunistic TLS you'd have to just have it sitting on an SSL port right?

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Tiny on Sat Dec 22 10:46:38 2018

No clue man. None at all. My point is why not move foward away from
    dos shit? Maybe when someone does something new and exciting we will
    find benefits? Maybe not. I'm just saying why not try?

Yeah I agree if you are doing it new, it makes sense.

I guess I am just saying don't be so quick to hate on the old stuff, because the benefits of switching and rewriting everything for us old folks aren't really that great.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Digital Man on Sat Dec 22 10:49:36 2018
    Yup. Implicit TLS is considered more secure, but requires a separate/unique TCP port number, which was originally frowned upon by
    the IETF dudes but has since been embraced as how TLS protocols "should" be done.

Yeah there is a potential for man in the middle attacks on anything that does an opportunistic handshake. Of course, that is easily avoidable if the client and or server simply refuse to operate in a non-SSL mode. I made sure to include those options in Mystic's BINKP.

If others started to implement an implicit TLS for BINKP I would as well, I just started here since no one really has to change any configurations to
    adopt it.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Digital Man on Sat Dec 22 10:05:28 2018
    Yup. Implicit TLS is considered more secure, but requires a separate/unique TCP port number, which was originally frowned upon by the IETF dudes but has since been embraced as how TLS protocols "should" be done.

I wouldn't say "considered more secure" about TLS as much as I'd say "STARTTLS is simply not secure at all". This has been well researched and known for quite
    some time now. An attacker simply strips the flag out and viola: No TLS.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Sat Dec 22 10:08:32 2018
    On Saturday, December 22nd apam muttered...
    Well I don't know, I guess it depends on how you are using SQLite. For example I would bet Enigma's Sqlite message bases are faster than magicka's just because I think you know your way around sqlite better than me.

Of course I'm writing this with the assumption of a comparison against SQL that's written properly. I haven't looked at your SQL, but I doubt it's "bad". It's not overly complex for the type of stuff we're doing.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 10:24:48 2018
    On Saturday, December 22nd g00r00 muttered...
    If its faster its only because it uses a massive outrageous amount of memory to keep things in memory. At the end of the day you're comparing a system that parses syntax then performs work based on that syntax and returns formatted results. The work it performs boils down to the same work you'd do directly without SQL...

No, that's now how SQLite works. Yes, it *does* utilize a *cache* -- if enabled
    -- and only of data you've already processed. This cache is tiny.

Its absolutely not faster than directly reading the data unless those things are entirely in memory, in which case you can also do the same with a direct approach.

'Cept it's not. SQLite does the exact same thing (as you stated previously): Read from disk. The difference is the data structures are much better than that
    of ie JAM or Joe Blow's hand rolled format. This is due to years of thousands of people using and improving the algorithms, indexes, and so on. Sure, Joe Blow could create a highly optimized forma. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about old JAM, QWK, etc.

On Saturday, December 22nd g00r00 was heard saying...
    The only benefit of SQL would be that it is designed for parameter based queries and in that case it excels, but for reading a writing a blob of data from a file its going to be faster to do it directly assuming you index properly.

See above. SQLite reads the same blobs as pages.

There is no magic here, there is years of optimization and testing. The thing is one of the most heavily used libraries on the planet next to the Linux kernel. It's in everything, and has been optimized as such.

This was a long time ago though, and no doubt a lot of that has been resolved or worked around by now.

This must have been a very long time ago :D

In this specific case... You also lose the ability to use so many 3rd party applications... there are tons of statistic and maintenance utilities as well as tossers that work with JAM.

Can't argue that. And I think that does have a lot of merit. I debated using my
    own (SQLite) format vs JAM for this very reason. To support JAM for instance on ENiG, I'd have to write an import/export type bridge.

Not saying its horrible to use SQLite, I'm just saying that shitting on the existing format isn't really founded.

I don't think anyone is shitting on it (at least I'm not), but I will absolutely say that we've (programmers, collectively) learned a lot from years ago and have very much improved formats. Going back at looking at some of the old formats often gives me a good laugh. We thought something was a good idea, but clearly there are better ways. A lot of concepts we take for granted weren't even thought of yet. It's fun to see new code on old hardware (and using the same old compilers/etc.) for this very reason. Same machine, same tools can push it much harder.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 10:29:24 2018
    If you're talking about an encrypted transport only yes, but authenticity needs to be considered by the application and of course the client and server need a way to handshake.

Authenticity of client (client cert validation) and of the server (server cert validation) are both built into TLS. Public keys could simply become part of the FTN applicaiton process.

You could proxy it but you wouldn't be doing opportunistic TLS you'd have to just have it sitting on an SSL port right?

At first I thought you had implemented pure always-on TLS. In this case a proxy
    is much easier. In the case of STARTTLS it may still be possible with scriptable (why I mention HAProxy) application-level aware proxies where the flag could be checked and TLS termination kicked into play. Much harder, and may actually *not* be possible wihthout custom code though.

• From esc@21:1/112 to apam on Sat Dec 22 17:09:48 2018
    Yep sqlite, but I also plan to make mysql a possiblity, I think it could be useful if people want to design their own php-mysql type interfaces on top of it.

(Puts on CISSP hat)

I'm a strong advocate of avoiding exposing a DBMS to PHP whenever possible. :)

• From esc@21:1/112 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 17:13:14 2018

Agreed with your sentiment here. Though I have to wonder, doesn't something
    as mature as modern SQLite come with all kinds of monitoring tooling and a wealth of knowledge floating around to make it something easier to maintain?

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 15:20:36 2018
    By: g00r00 to Digital Man on Sat Dec 22 2018 10:49 am

If others started to implement an implicit TLS for BINKP I would as well, I just started here since no one really has to change any configurations to adopt it.

For Synchronet's BinkIt to support incoming implicit TLS connections, it would just be a configuration setting in services.ini:

[BINKP]
    Port=xxx ; Pick a unique port number here
    Command=binkit.js
    Options=TLS

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #54:
    SBBS = Synchronet Bulletin Board System
    Norco, CA WX: 67.4øF, 42.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 18:50:32 2018
    I wouldn't say "considered more secure" about TLS as much as I'd say "STARTTLS is simply not secure at all". This has been well researched
    and known for quite some time now. An attacker simply strips the flag
    out and viola: No TLS.

This is entirely inaccurate. That only works when those same servers are configured to work identically in cleartext, which if you actually use
    anything with real data to protect... they don't.

Even the various free e-mail providers won't.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 19:03:54 2018
    No, that's now how SQLite works. Yes, it *does* utilize a *cache* -- if enabled -- and only of data you've already processed. This cache is tiny.

This is simply not true (or wasn't years ago at least). The reason it works fast is because it keeps things in memory just like anything that is transactio based. When you deprive SQLite of memory it turns into a heaping pile (or at least older versions when I last did this sort of experimentation did).

A few years back I had to replace SQlite from a major international company (fortune 100) and there were all sorts of resource issues with it.

I just did a quick Google though and found people on forums basically echoing what I am saying, asking how they can reduce the memory overhead without turning it into shit.

In the BBS world none of this really matters anyway, because we don't see the type of bandwidth to make any of this a big deal, which is sort of what my point is. There isn't a lot of benefit here. If you're starting new like
    your project, sure then maybe it makes sense.

But you aren't gaining a lot by using a SQLlite database for your message bases over JAM and its certainly arguable that you lose a lot by not doing, because you don't have access to the third party utilities or mail processors. I do agree SQLite has a better design than JAM but thats not really the point.

I was just watching a Mystic Guy video and his Pi imported like 400 messages
    in 1 second, running off a slow ass SD card and shite processing power so its not like we're struggling for performance in the BBS world.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 22 19:08:40 2018
    Authenticity of client (client cert validation) and of the server
    (server cert validation) are both built into TLS. Public keys could
    simply become part of the FTN applicaiton process.

Yes, but if you have a proxy server sitting somewhere, that is not the same as the Sysop having a server on-site where they can manage the keystore. Thats all I was trying to say with that. If you mean running the proxy local then sure that works for implicit SSL.

I think the concepts of SSL keystores and cert swapping may go beyond a lot of people's knowledge level as SysOps aren't always System Admin types (although o course many are)...

This is the reason I don't even talk about those things with Mystic, it just automatically creates a self sign and doesn't validate hosts. Although in the case of BINKP, you may want to do that anyway since there is a concept of accepting "unsecure" Netmail connections.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to esc on Sat Dec 22 19:12:36 2018
    Not saying its horrible to use SQLite, I'm just saying that shitting the existing format isn't really founded.

Agreed with your sentiment here. Though I have to wonder, doesn't something as mature as modern SQLite come with all kinds of monitoring tooling and a wealth of knowledge floating around to make it something easier to maintain?

The tools would be certainly more reliable I would think, but I wouldn't go as far as easier to maintain. With SQLite you still can't adjust schema for existing tables (you have to drop, recreate, and repopulate) unless that has changed... so from a developers perspective its still annoying make record changes.

For an end user, I mean... To maintain a BBS message base you just run "msgpack". To do the same in SQlite you just run a single command too I believe, so I wouldn't say either of them are more difficult.

For a BBS application I don't know if anything SQLite provides would make it more valuable than being able to access a wealth of different echomail
    tossers, mailers, and stat reporting tools.

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to Digital Man on Sat Dec 22 19:13:32 2018
    If others started to implement an implicit TLS for BINKP I would as wel just started here since no one really has to change any configurations adopt it.

For Synchronet's BinkIt to support incoming implicit TLS connections, it would just be a configuration setting in services.ini:

Ahh good to know. I'll probably add in an implicit option as well then.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 22:02:22 2018
    This is simply not true (or wasn't years ago at least). The reason it works fast is because it keeps things in memory just like anything that is transactio based. When you deprive SQLite of memory it turns into a heaping pile (or at least older versions when I last did this sort of experimentation did).

You keep trying to prove a point, but slip in "at least years ago". Again, *maybe* many years ago in some ancient versions of SQLite some of this was true, but no, that's now how it works at all. Transactions put can put some data in memory, but often just dump to a temporary file. These are only on writes mind you. When it's time to commit, the data is put down paged. This lets it be read back (later, directly from disk) paged.

I'd love to see your Google searches. I don't doubt there are other people clueless about this either.

All of the major mobile phone vendors have had SQLite backing since v1 times when memory was crap. Desktop Windows & OS X use it. FireFox uses it. Again, it's one of the most heavily used pieces of software on the planet. From large scale memory to low. And works great between. Anyone seeing memory issues is cleary doing something wrong.

In the BBS world none of this really matters anyway, because we don't see the type of bandwidth to make any of this a big deal, which is sort of what my point is. There isn't a lot of benefit here. If you're starting new like your project, sure then maybe it makes sense.

Trueish. Generally none of this matters in the BBS world RE I/O usage.

But you aren't gaining a lot by using a SQLlite database for your message bases over JAM and its certainly arguable that you lose a lot by not doing, because you don't have access to the third party utilities or mail processors. I do agree SQLite has a better design than JAM but thats not really the point.

Maybe. Most of the tools out there are directly accessing JAM databases which is nonsense on it's own.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 22:05:54 2018
    This is entirely inaccurate. That only works when those same servers are configured to work identically in cleartext, which if you actually use anything with real data to protect... they don't.

Even the various free e-mail providers won't.

I don't mean to argue with you about any of this, but misinformation is also not good. Yes, STARTLS is very susceptible to downgrade attacks and MITM for the very reason I stated. Including email.

This is why (any sane) mail servers have moved to pure TLS. Of course, Email has a bazillion other issues with security, so unless the end users are encrypting their payloads it's kinda mute depending on what they are trying protect.

• From vk3jed@21:1/109.1 to apam on Sun Dec 23 09:29:18 2018
    On 23-Dec-2018 08:08, apam wrote to NuSkooler <=-

I'm not sure at least those first two statements are true at all.
    "SQL" is simply a language. If we're talking SQLite (I think we are),

Yep sqlite, but I also plan to make mysql a possiblity, I think it
    could be useful if people want to design their own php-mysql type interfaces on top of it.

I think that could be an interesting option. I can see someone designing a true web forum around Magicka. Not me, I'm not a PHP programmer.

Mysql would just be linking to the connector i think, and of course you have to install mysql - so yeah thats a bit more of a dependency, but
    the idea is you don't HAVE to, and I expect most people wont use that
    as a message base, but those who want to (for whatever reason) can.

I love that philosophy of choice. :)

... [COUPON] Good for one FREE Tagline! [COUPON]
    --- MultiMail/Win
  • From Tiny@21:1/130.4 to g00r00 on Sun Dec 23 12:04:24 2018
    Quoting g00r00 to Tiny <=-

I guess I am just saying don't be so quick to hate on the old stuff, because the benefits of switching and rewriting everything for us old folks aren't really that great.

I'm an old folk too. Run the BBS since 1985. Not saying we have to
    change everything right away, just saying moving forward with new tech
    can't be a bad idea?

Shawn

... Illiteratets of the wlord. Untie!
    --- Blue Wave/386
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sun Dec 23 17:17:14 2018
    You keep trying to prove a point, but slip in "at least years ago".

Yes, my experience was years ago so I say it was years ago.

I'd love to see your Google searches. I don't doubt there are other
    people clueless about this either.

I think its great that you call me clueless. A simple Google search verifies everything I said though. You can even read the actual SQLite sight where
    they specifically talk about how SQLite performance is heavily determined by memory usage and that in some cases it can be as fast as direct I/O...

So even their own website echos what I am saying, but feel free to call me clueless while I talk about hands on experience in major corporations as part of my job and you reiterate that I'm clueless while providing nothing at all
    to back anything up other than "because I am right!"

• From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sun Dec 23 17:20:24 2018
    I don't mean to argue with you about any of this, but misinformation is also not good. Yes, STARTLS is very susceptible to downgrade attacks and MITM for the very reason I stated. Including email.

This is why (any sane) mail servers have moved to pure TLS. Of course,

This is silly. A few messages ago you clearly didn't seem to even understand my description of opportunistic SSL and now you're acting like an expert?

There is no difference if the server is configured to not operating without SSL. The both listen on a port, one just negotiates the SSL connection immediately, the other one sends a line of text before negotiating SSL. The outcome is identical assuming the server is configured to only allow SSL.

But who cares, you can be right if you want to be! You only have CISSPs and Security Architects in here telling you otherwise, what do they know!

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sun Dec 23 16:59:38 2018
    On Sunday, December 23rd g00r00 was heard saying...
    I think its great that you call me clueless. A simple Google search verifies everything I said though. You can even read the actual SQLite sight where they specifically talk about how SQLite performance is heavily determined by memory usage and that in some cases it can be as fast as direct I/O...

A search reveals user error after error, mostly from sites & forms like S.O. which have answers indicating such.

Oh please, do link the page you're referring to on sqlite.org.

So even their own website echos what I am saying, but feel free to call me clueless while I talk about hands on experience in major corporations as part of my job and you reiterate that I'm clueless while providing

No, you have some minimal experience "years ago". I've been using SQLite professionally for various projects off and on for 15+ years. In embedded, mobile, and desktop/server. Oh, and so have thousands and thousands of others.

Get your panties out of a wad.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Sun Dec 23 17:07:36 2018
    This is silly. A few messages ago you clearly didn't seem to even understand my description of opportunistic SSL and now you're acting like an expert?

No, a few messages ago you lightly stated you "added TLS support", so I questioned how you did it.

I'd say I'm pretty god damn expert level at TLS, yeah. Since I've personally implemented the fucking MITM described more than once profesionally.

On Sunday, December 23rd g00r00 muttered...
    There is no difference if the server is configured to not operating without SSL. The both listen on a port, one just negotiates the SSL connection immediately, the other one sends a line of text before negotiating SSL. The outcome is identical assuming the server is configured to only allow SSL.

If it's ONLY configured to use TLS, yes you can then prevent the downgrade attack. But if it's ONLY configured to use TLS you have zero reason to use STARTTLS. Else, are vunerable to a downgrade MITM attack. That's. How. It. Works.

On Sunday, December 23rd g00r00 muttered...
    But who cares, you can be right if you want to be! You only have CISSPs and Security Architects in here telling you otherwise, what do they know!

Oh, I do? Interesting. I've been a Sr. Architect for many years and again, in the specific areas of TLS & security. Please.

I've seen this level of defensiveness from you previously as well, and it's extremely comical. You have a pattern of this kind of stuff, you know. I know you like the spotlight and such, but come on.

What would actually be beneficial to everyone here is if you'd step of your rediculous high horse and take some critisism + work with others in the community to actually get something together that benefits more than just Mystic.

- Use pure TLS. Listen on a different port, who cares. It's how things are done.
    - Work with others around here to come up with some standards for this crap -- Bink, encrypted net/echomail, so on.

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to NuSkooler on Sun Dec 23 21:12:50 2018
    Oh please, do link the page you're referring to on sqlite.org.

I don't feel like searching for it but it does say performance is based on memory allocation...

This is pretty common sense, and I wouldn't make it up. Result sets are commonly stored in memory and so are other transactions. Files are opened and left open. This is all stuff done in memory, and thats the only reason its able to out perform direct I/O. It doesn't allow concurrent access. One write causes the entire database to be locked regardless of it the other thread is accessing a different table entirely. Its all on the site, and I really don't care if you don't believe it :)

You can say I am clueless or whatever all you want (real cool) but the fact is that I'm not. I think you know that.

Rather than keep going lets get back on track: Not only was the original conversation one that wasn't directed towards you, but there were two points made that you replied to:

1. A direct I/O approach uses less resources
    2. There isn't much benefit over using JAM.

Its strange to me that you're going this hard into trying to argue this...

My JAM library has a footprint of 36 kilobytes. That is still 36KB even when you have 50 million messages and are actively scrolling through a message list. Now start throwing queries at your 50 million messages in SQLite while listing all of those messages and see if it takes 36KB with good performance.

Hint: It doesn't.

You've also not really articulated benefit... The benefit of NOT using it is that you gain access to plenty of utilities for maintenance, reporting, and mature mail processing. All of this I have clearly stated, but I feel you've really said nothing at all other than "no you're wrong" over and over again.

Anyway I don't want to keep this going, this shit is exhausting. :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/23 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (21:1/108)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to NuSkooler on Sun Dec 23 21:17:20 2018
    No, a few messages ago you lightly stated you "added TLS support", so I questioned how you did it.

The way I remember it, I described the process which was clearly opportunistic and you jumped in to ask question about proxy compatibility. Digital Man then explained to you that it was opportunistic and your proxy idea wouldn't work with it, even before I saw your message.

He seemed to have no problem recognizing opportunistic TLS based on the same content you presumably had available to read.

I'd say I'm pretty god damn expert level at TLS, yeah. Since I've personally implemented the fucking MITM described more than once profesionally.

This seems like a pretty odd claim, but then its literally impossible for you not to know that what I'm saying is true. If you truly created something "professional" designed to strip STARTTLS commands (why would you?) multiple times (!!) then you know that it was completely useless if the server only accepts TLS.

Your claim that no one worth a damn uses opportunistic TLS (or whatever you said along those lines) is also completely wrong. The largest e-mail provider in the world (Google Gmail) uses opportunistic TLS. In fact, I haven't found one yet that doesn't. They sure as hell wouldn't if it was insecure. Its not.

If you understand how it works then you know that its the same thing as implicit SSL except you have the option to receive client capabilities in cleartext before you decide how you want to enforce the connection. Assuming your server is configured to only allow SSL, then its secure and your MITM attack doesn't work.

It doesn't matter how many times you may want to say Mystic TLS is not secure, the facts are that it is. Its not really worth continuing the discussion because there is no where else to go from here, this is simply fact.

• From Al@21:4/106 to Digital Man on Mon Dec 24 02:56:56 2018
    By: Digital Man to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 2018 03:20 pm

[BINKP]
    Command=binkit.js
    Options=TLS

I have a link with a Mystic BBS that supports TLS connections although not implicit at this point. If I put the above in my services.ini in addition to the existing [BINKP] section will that work?

Is it possible with binkit to initiate a TLS session with a Mystic mailer that supports it (when that is ready)?

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Mathematician: A device for turning coffee into theorems!
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Al on Mon Dec 24 11:27:16 2018
    I have a link with a Mystic BBS that supports TLS connections although
    not implicit at this point. If I put the above in my services.ini in addition to the existing [BINKP] section will that work?

Is it possible with binkit to initiate a TLS session with a Mystic
    mailer that supports it (when that is ready)?

No, because Mystic is opportunistic (it gives you the option to use a standard connection, TLS, or both with the same server on the same port). If you want to run a TLS-only BINKP with Mystic you can just set it to require TLS. But this still won't work with Synchronet because of different approach...

Either Rob has to implement opportunistic or I need to add implicit. My libraries/servers already do both so I can (and probably will) add the option for implicit too now that I know Synchronet allows it.

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 24 11:12:04 2018
    This seems like a pretty odd claim, but then its literally impossible for you not to know that what I'm saying is true. If you truly created something "professional" designed to strip STARTTLS commands (why would you?) multiple times (!!) then you know that it was completely useless if the server only accepts TLS.

This is very common (and why I've done it multiple times) for filtering. When one performs a downgrade attack the traffic remains in the clear and can be analyzed, modified, so on. When doing a 'standard' MITM attack where a new certificate is in play, you must either a) have pre-installed the CA, or b) the
    user must accept an untrusted authority. Most of the filtering products I've worked on do both, but it's obvious why the first is preferred.

Google uses STARTLS for mail by default, yes. This of course doesn't matter when using their web client which is pure TLS. When using your own clients, they recommend to disable fallback due to the very reasons I've started: It's essentially pointless. If the conection can fallback, that's the *only* thing that is needed to perform a downgrade attack and inspect plain text.

And actually, it's a little worse than how simple that seems. If the client doesn't also *require* TLS, when a start command is stripped it can go ahead and send plain text even though the real server actually requires/wants TLS.

I want to step back here before this nonsense continues:
    I'm not attacking you nor Mystic. I ackowledge you're a great programmer and know your stuff. Mystic shows that, and I'm sure other products you've worked on do as well.

I have *not* started that Mystic is inherently insecure. What I started above is what I stated in my last reply and is true: Unless you *force* TLS (and the client sides know to do so as well), it is not secure. It's more of a fluffy feeling. This area has been flooded with talk of encryption and security for a while. No doubt why you have jumped on and put a lot of this stuff in. If nothing else, you should well document the information above so people know this: Force TLS on both sides, and yes it will be secure.

RE: SQLite, believe whatever you like. I've used and continue to use (and apparely nearly the rest of the planet: https://www.sqlite.org/mostdeployed.html) it, so I think we'll be OK :)

Have a merry whatever-it-is-you-celebrate. Hopefully things can return civil.

• From Al@22:4/106 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 24 15:14:40 2018
    On 12/24/18, g00r00 said the following...

Either Rob has to implement opportunistic or I need to add implicit. My libraries/servers already do both so I can (and probably will) add the option for implicit too now that I know Synchronet allows it.

I'll get this going with Synchronet once we have something to test.

Ttyl :-),
    Al

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/23 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: New Name Coming Soon - Penticton, BC Canada (22:4/106)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Al on Mon Dec 24 15:51:28 2018
    By: Al to Digital Man on Mon Dec 24 2018 02:56 am

By: Digital Man to g00r00 on Sat Dec 22 2018 03:20 pm

[BINKP]
    Command=binkit.js
    Options=TLS

I have a link with a Mystic BBS that supports TLS connections although not implicit at this point. If I put the above in my services.ini in addition to the existing [BINKP] section will that work?

It would work for incoming implicit-TLS/BinkP sessions, yes.

Is it possible with binkit to initiate a TLS session with a Mystic mailer that supports it (when that is ready)?

That would require some minor updates to binkit.js, but totally doable.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #32:
    Derek Smalls: [A jog?] We don't have time for that.
    Norco, CA WX: 63.4øF, 62.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to NuSkooler on Mon Dec 24 19:08:16 2018
    Google uses STARTLS for mail by default, yes. This of course doesn't matter when using their web client which is pure TLS. When using your
    own clients, they recommend to disable fallback due to the very reasons I've started: It's essentially pointless. If the conection can fallback, that's the *only* thing that is needed to perform a downgrade attack and inspect plain text.

You just repeated exactly what I've been saying in every single message to you, that you've been arguing against up until now.

Google's e-mail services simply do not work without STARTTLS; Google uses TLS only. Its secure. Its also an opportunistic handshake like Mystic. There is nothing for them to recommend on the client side because the server is what decides when a connection is accepted. If you try to use a non-SSL connection it is refused regardless of what the client wants, same as Mystic or any other opportunistic server if you force SSL. All are secure and none are at risk
    for a man in the middle attack.

I have *not* started that Mystic is inherently insecure. What I started above is what I stated in my last reply and is true: Unless you *force* TLS (and the client sides know to do so as well), it is not secure. It's

But thats not what you did. You replied to a message about Mystic's TLS and said that opportunist TLS was insecure. Of which I've replied and restated several times that its absolutely secure unless you configure it to also run in non-SSL mode (which would be a user error if their intent was SSL only)...

Any of this ring a bell? Because you've completely flipped now and you're
    just repeating what I've said to you over and over again.

That type of approach only seems to work if you're the president! ;)

• From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 24 17:57:32 2018
    On Monday, December 24th g00r00 was heard saying...
    You just repeated exactly what I've been saying in every single message to you, that you've been arguing against up until now.

No, I'm repeating what I've said over and over. Feel free to go back and read them. That's the neat thing about text. It stays.

On Monday, December 24th g00r00 muttered...
    Google's e-mail services simply do not work without STARTTLS; Google uses TLS only. Its secure. Its also an opportunistic handshake like Mystic. There is nothing for them to recommend on the client side because the server is what decides when a connection is accepted. If you try to use a non-SSL connection it is refused regardless of what the client wants, same as Mystic or any other opportunistic server if you force SSL. All are secure and none are at risk for a man in the middle attack.

First, no, that's how how Google does it.

From Google/Gmail: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2520500?hl=en
    "Gmail uses TLS by default, but when a secure connection isn't available (both sender and recipient need to use TLS to create a secure connection), Gmail will
    deliver messages over non-secure connections."

And what you said isn't how this actually works. I was taking the higher ground, but since you want to be a jerk, I'll explain it again: What the server
    *wants* (TLS) is irrelevant. When you perform an attack you get in the middle between the client and server. When the server *wants* TLS (that is, it responds with a flag indicating an upgrade) you strip it and respond to the client without said flag. The client then proceeds to send you plain-text. For scenarios in which the client sends a "upgrade to secure" flag, the reverse applies and it works the same way. The MITM negotiates with the side that operates only in secure mode.

Client <---> MITM <---> Server

Server upgrades to TLS:
    SVR to MITM (who it *thinks* is the real client): STARTTLS
    MITM: OK
    MITM to client: Start plain text.
    Client: OK

It's. That. Easy.

But thats not what you did. You replied to a message about Mystic's TLS and said that opportunist TLS was insecure.

Because it is. Unless both the client and server force TLS. In fact, it's done on a regular basis. For example: https://zakird.com/papers/mail.pdf. Software I've produced (described in previous posts) has done just this for various actors.

You could use those Google-foo skills you seem so good with to read, watch talks, or whatever your heart desires.

Any of this ring a bell? Because you've completely flipped now and you're just repeating what I've said to you over and over again.

I've not flipped at all. This is the same information I've been re-iterating over and over.

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to NuSkooler on Mon Dec 24 20:53:00 2018
    to you, that you've been arguing against up until now.

No, I'm repeating what I've said over and over. Feel free to go back and read them. That's the neat thing about text. It stays.

I have and its exactly like I said it was... Me telling you over and over that its considered secure unless you literally tell it not to use SSL only. Go look.

"Gmail uses TLS by default, but when a secure connection isn't available (both sender and recipient need to use TLS to create a secure
    connection), Gmail will deliver messages over non-secure connections."

When I speak, I have hands on experience with something and I understand it. When I don't understand I don't argue endlessly, I usually try to take that opportunity to learn. What I don't do often is just regurgitate whatever I find on a quick Google search.

Here's how it works off the cuff go try it yourself if you want:

19:32:05 SMTP R:250-smtp.gmail.com at your service,
    19:32:05 SMTP S:AUTH LOGIN
    19:32:06 SMTP R:530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.
    19:32:06 Could not authenticate to SMTP server
    19:32:10 Shutting down

And what you said isn't how this actually works. I was taking the higher ground, but since you want to be a jerk, I'll explain it again: What the

I'm not being a jerk, but you certainly have grouped me with the "other clueless people who think like me", talked about how I spread all this "misinformation" and so on. I've done nothing at all to you along those lines other than to tell you that opportunistic is not considered insecure unless its configured wrong.

In fact, this conversation didn't involve you and you barged your way into it. This is not unlike the stuff with Apam used to do and then turn around and blame me for a bunch of stuff that I was never really doing. He was willing to take a step back and reevaluate but it remains to be seen if you're able to do the same.

Server upgrades to TLS:
    SVR to MITM (who it *thinks* is the real client): STARTTLS
    MITM: OK
    MITM to client: Start plain text.
    Client: OK

What you're describing is not the strip attack.

The MITM can't impersonate an entire SSL connection because the encryption between the legit client and legit server encrypt with a private key that only each side has. Since the MITM doesn't have that, it cannot EVER impersonate the encrypted client connection; The MITM can only intercept and understand or impersonate data *PRIOR* to the SSL handshake and not afterwards.

The Strip attack only strips the cleartext STARTTLS command and HOPES that the server will operate in cleartext entirely when it does. If that doesn't work, then it cannot impersonate the client with an SSL connection without having the private key that only the client has. It does not do what you're said above because it can't without the private key.

In order for what you describe to work, you'd have to have an SSL server that does not use certificates, check hosts, etc. Now maybe in the BBS world you might see something like that, but I've been a Security Architect working as a consultant for 15 years and I've never went into a client's building and encountered an SSL server configured in such a way.

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to g00r00 on Mon Dec 24 19:24:20 2018
    Re: Re: Secure Comms
    By: g00r00 to NuSkooler on Mon Dec 24 2018 07:08 pm

Google's e-mail services simply do not work without STARTTLS;

I don't intend to stir the pot or get in the middle of this, but smtp.gmail.com and other gmail mail servers do indeed appear to support implicit TLS on TCP port 465. No "STARTTLS" needed.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #8:
    BPS = Bits Per Second
    Norco, CA WX: 54.7øF, 88.0% humidity, 0 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Digital Man on Tue Dec 25 00:28:02 2018
    Google's e-mail services simply do not work without STARTTLS;

I don't intend to stir the pot or get in the middle of this, but smtp.gmail.com and other gmail mail servers do indeed appear to support implicit TLS on TCP port 465. No "STARTTLS" needed.

Yes that was a sloppy choice of words on my part but the conversation before it wasn't about implicit it was whether it allows cleartext or not.

What I was trying to show was that it doesn't allow clients to fall back to cleartext at all. They use implicit and opportunistic only for SMTP. SSL required.

Its all good I ended up just adding him to my twit filter.

• From Avon@21:1/101 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 26 19:49:16 2018
    On 12/25/18, g00r00 pondered and said...

Yes that was a sloppy choice of words on my part but the conversation before it wasn't about implicit it was whether it allows cleartext or
    not.
    What I was trying to show was that it doesn't allow clients to fall back to cleartext at all. They use implicit and opportunistic only for SMTP. SSL required.
    Its all good I ended up just adding him to my twit filter.

Whilst you guys may have debated a technical discussion that went waay over
    my head and seemed to become a bit of a matter of professional pride for you both. I'd suggest it would be regrettable if you opt to filter Nu out of your echomail feeds.

Echomail filtering aside I don't personally regard Nu/Bryan as a twit. I
    rate him as a good guy, a coder who's doing good things with his Enigma
    1/2 BBS project and (like everyone else) is welcome to take part in fsxNet.

If the BBS scene is to advance with new technical standards, ideas
    of different sorts of accepted interoperability etc. then it seems to me
    that having discussions between software authors active in this space is kinda key to that wider success the a community of experimental tinkerers may be hoping for. Just my 2 cents :)

In the end, it's your call and your echomail feed (unfiltered or otherwise).

Hope your Christmas day was a good one, and I'm loving the new features in A40

Best, Paul

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/25 (Windows/32)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 26 12:04:00 2018
    g00r00 around Monday, December 24th...
    I have and its exactly like I said it was... Me telling you over and over that its considered secure unless you literally tell it not to use SSL only. Go look.

I know I'm on g00r00's "twit" list now, but I'll reply anyway since I think there are others that can benefit from this discussion being that it is around security and we've been discussing such matters greatly around here.

I've talked about this in previous posts, but I'll try and put it more plainly what is being missed here RE STARTTLS and security.

TL;DR version: BOTH the server (remote Bink aka remote BBS) AND the client (local Bink, aka your BBS) must *FORCE* TLS only. If either side say it's optional, then TLS is broken (more details below):

Details again:
    A STARTTLS works by communication starting in plain text. During the initial negotiations, the server (in this case) requests TLS. If the option is set, from the servers point of view this can be more of a demand: "I will only proceed using TLS".

- If the server does not "demand" TLS, the downgrade attack is very simple: One
    simply removes the TLS request and the client moves along it's way. What would
    have been secured via TLS is now simply sent plain-text.

- If the server demands TLS to proceed, a true MITM attack comes into play, covered below after the following quote for context:

On Monday, December 24th g00r00 said...
    The MITM can't impersonate an entire SSL connection because the encryption between the legit client and legit server encrypt with a private key that only each side has. Since the MITM doesn't have that, it cannot EVER impersonate the encrypted client connection; The MITM can only intercept and understand or impersonate data *PRIOR* to the SSL handshake and not afterwards.

This is a misunderstanding of how TLS works in general, or how a MITM attack works. I'll explain it.

First, SSL/TLS uses Public Key Cryptography. When a legit client and legit server communicate, it works by encrypting with *public* keys and decrypting with the private, not how it is described above.

(client) data -> encrypt with servers *public key* -> (server) decrypt data using private key.

The client gets the public key to use via the certificate issued by the server early in the handshake. This is important to understand and it's critical to a MITM attack:

When a MITM is in the mix, the MITM intercepts the handshake and gives the client it's *own* certificate (generally based off the properties/etc. of the original from the real server). So, when the client encrypts data with this public key, it's now really encrypting with the MITM's public key, which the MITM of course can decrypt just fine. The MITM then does all the communciation with the *real* server and the client never knows.

There are Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) measures agains this:
    For web browsers and the like the client will only talk to servers who issues certificates (described above) issued by a Certificate Authority (CA) that they
    already trust. This is often known as your certificate store. Anything in the cert store is "trusted". Anything that is not results in severing the communication once the (untrusted) cert is received.

Another measure that can be deployed to really tie things down is Certificate Pinning. What this does is say when I'm talking to "xyz.com", I *know* in advance the *exact* certificate (or exact CA at the top of the chain) that they
    should be using by hash (SHA-1, etc.) aka it's fingerprint. So if a certificate is handed back and it's fingerprint is not exactly the print I expect, hang up.

Cert pinning in browsers is interesting in relation to MITM: They allow it by default (IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera all operate the same here):
    By default they allow MITM *if the CA is trusted* (described above). If you want further security (disallow MITM for pinned sites) you must change the default setting to match exact cert FP's.

Back to MITM impersonating a client connection:
    There are actually some measures that can be taken here too, namely client certificate validation. During the handshake described above, the server can also request a client certificate. It can then validate that this certificate is white listed (ie: a trusted client) and if not, hang up.

- In the browser world, this is not used. Clearly websites cannot have a list of all the clients that will connect to them.

- Exact FP pinning and client verification are often used for applications that
    talk only with a specific client to a specific server. Mobile apps have gotten
    fairly good at this due to being shunned by Apple/Google if they don't do it, etc.

Now, how does this all relate to Bink commuinication?
    - Your bink *client* MUST enforce TLS, and the server MUST enforce TLS to even ensure TLS is used.
    - To prevent MITM, the client must only trust CA's issued to the servers it will connect to. If certificates are not validated, MITM is easy: Impersonate the server.
    - Servers must only accept connections from whitelisted client (certs). If not,
    MITM is easy: Impersonate the client.

On Monday, December 24th g00r00 was heard saying...
    The Strip attack only strips the cleartext STARTTLS command and HOPES that the server will operate in cleartext entirely when it does. If that doesn't work, then it cannot impersonate the client with an SSL connection without having the private key that only the client has. It does not do what you're said above because it can't without the private key.

Just to reiterate here:
    - Unless the server does client authentication (ie: the whitelisted set of certs it trusts), the MITM impersonation works perfecly fine. The server will talk to whatever client comes along.

Private keys are *never* shared between client/server. Only public keys, and those are shared in the open (hence the name: public).

Now, all this may seem like a lot for BBS/EchoMail related traffic, but remember what we're trying to protect from here: ISPs & Big Brother type snooping that feeds into large (NSA, so on...) databases. They all use techniques I described above (and more) and have so for a long time. I implemented this kind of stuff for 15 years or so. It done in real time, and it's not secret how it works. You can download MITM proxies/etc. off GitHub for
    and the like and of course the private versions are much more complete and complex.

If you want to play with MITM stuff like this:
    - https://mitmproxy.org/
    - https://www.roe.ch/SSLsplit

Some more STARTTLS downgrade info: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/starttls-downgrade-attacks

-- Twit :)

• From apam@21:1/125 to NuSkooler on Thu Dec 27 07:33:20 2018
    I know I'm on g00r00's "twit" list now, but I'll reply anyway since I
    think there are others that can benefit from this discussion being
    that it is around security and we've been discussing such matters
    greatly around here.

Thanks Nu, interesting stuff.

Andrew

• From James Digriz@21:4/128 to apam on Sat Mar 2 23:06:16 2019
    apam wrote to deon:

I came across this...

I signed up to that a few days ago, but have no friends on it. There's a

Andrew

I'm administering a Nextcloud instance and a couple of Owncloud instances (scheduled to upgrade to Nextcloud soon, when I move their hosts to CentOS 7. Yes, I know it can be done with 6, if not officially, but there's more work involved keeping it updated, etc.) Both offer federated cloud ID's and Nextcloud has the Social app, which interoperate with Mastodon and other social
    networks that support the ActivityPub protocol. Gnu social is supposed to be getting there, iirc. Pretty sure most of the decentralized social media platforms will eventually get there, too. eg. Matrix.org (riot.im), etc.

jbdigriz
    @bofh@rockingr.xirtameht.net

Greetings, James Digriz
    email: jbdigriz@bbs.dragonsweb.org

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.6 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: DragonsWeb Labs (21:4/128)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to James Digriz on Sun Mar 3 08:55:00 2019
    James Digriz wrote to apam <=-

I'm administering a Nextcloud instance and a couple of Owncloud
    instances (scheduled to upgrade to Nextcloud soon, when I move their
    hosts to CentOS 7. Yes, I know it can be done with 6, if not
    officially, but there's more work involved keeping it updated, etc.)
    Both offer federated cloud ID's and Nextcloud has the Social app, which interoperate with Mastodon and other social
    networks that support the ActivityPub protocol. Gnu social is supposed
    to be getting there, iirc. Pretty sure most of the decentralized social media platforms will eventually get there, too. eg. Matrix.org
    (riot.im), etc.

I've played a bit with Mastadon, but without anyone else to talk to on it testing it out is hard. Maybe we should set up a BBS sysops/users presence
    on M?

... Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)
  • From James Digriz@21:4/128 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 3 13:06:28 2019
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to James Digriz:
    James Digriz wrote to apam <=-

I'm administering a Nextcloud instance and a couple of Owncloud instances (scheduled to upgrade to Nextcloud soon, when I move their hosts to CentOS 7. Yes, I know it can be done with 6, if not officially, but there's more work involved keeping it updated, etc.) Both offer federated cloud ID's and Nextcloud has the Social app,
    which
    interoperate with Mastodon and other social
    networks that support the ActivityPub protocol. Gnu social is
    supposed
    to be getting there, iirc. Pretty sure most of the decentralized
    social
    media platforms will eventually get there, too. eg. Matrix.org (riot.im), etc.

I've played a bit with Mastadon, but without anyone else to talk to on it testing it out is hard. Maybe we should set up a BBS sysops/users presence on M?

... Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.51
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org (21:4/122)

Been thinking about setting up a Mastodon and/or matrix.org server, but Nextcloud does offer the Social app, AND something called Circles, which are like local groups, but distributed, federated, etc. Anyone wants to set one up on any Nextcloud server they can, and toot and share with circle members on other servers. Be sure to post the details on your board or in an echo so everyone that wants can join in.

Nextcloud has a self-registration app, too, so just find an instance, log
    in, and let the adminstrator help you set it up.

Personally, I'd rather see a robust BBS community using BBS'es :-) But it may help with security, privacy, control of your data, etc. if that's needed. Sometimes helpful to be able to "unshare", and so on.

FWIW,
    jbdigriz

Greetings, James Digriz
    email: jbdigriz@bbs.dragonsweb.org

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.6 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: DragonsWeb Labs (21:4/128)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to James Digriz on Mon Mar 4 12:21:26 2019
    On 03 Mar 2019 at 01:06p, James Digriz pondered and said...

Personally, I'd rather see a robust BBS community using BBS'es :-) But

I agree with you there :)

Best, Paul

--- E:avon@bbs.nz ------ W:bbs.nz ---
    --- K:keybase.io/avon --------------

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)