• ENiGMA 1/2 Mini Update

From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to All on Sun Nov 4 10:05:46 2018
    Haven't made a update in a while, so here is a small status update =X

Halloween is over, winter is about here in UT, and so on so I'll start to have much more time again for coding. During my mini break I had a computer crash that managed to truncate my development VM's .vmdk to 0 bytes. While some of the work on FSE re-write was pushed to my GitHub repos, not all of it was. I had some other experimental branches go *poof* as well :( This should not be a huge setback however, since I still have all my notes, chunks of the code, and the ideas in my head where I wanted to change what I was doing anyway hehe

So with all of that said, some stuff that will be coming down in 0.0.9-alpha with some sort of "when it's done" timeline:
    - FSE re-write is still in the works. Handling of many BBS soft color systems,
    improvements on quote builder, VTX hyperlinks, etc.
    - Achievement system! Get achivements for various (tweakable) milestone/events.
    On Xibalba I'll likely attach these to some contests or such.
    - Of course, lots of bug fixes! I plan on looking into SyncTERM SSH issues
    more. This is the only known client (and happens to be popular) that does odd stuff with SSH that Node.js SSH2 (which is OpenSSH compliant) has issues with. - Probably update the branch to run Node.js 10.x LTS (likely no-op issue) - More documentation!
    - ?????
    - Profit!

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.9-alpha (linux; x64; 8.9.4)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)
  • From apam@21:1/125 to NuSkooler on Mon Nov 5 12:27:28 2018
    Hey,

Sorry to hear about your crash. It can be completely demoralizing when
    you lose a whole chunk of work on something.

The achievement system sounds interesting. Will definitely keep my eye on
    how that unfolds :P

As for the syncterm issues, I always build syncterm from the latest daily source and it now works with Magicka (LibSSH which is OpenSSL based I
    think). Though it never used to with the 1.0 version. I just tried the
    latest version on Xibalba, and it didn't work must be some weird bug in cryptlib or node.js ssh. Don't know if that helps at all, you've probably already made all those observations :) Oh the other thing LibSSH works
    with Xibalba too (ie MagiTerm works)

I need to rewrite MagiTerm. It's performance is bad, I only really
    noticed when I tried it on my Raspberry PI. Also thinking about adding
    telnet support, but it's hard to get motivated as SyncTerm works so well
    on most of the platforms I use.

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to apam on Sun Nov 4 19:42:14 2018
    On Sunday, November 4th apam was heard saying...
    Sorry to hear about your crash. It can be completely demoralizing when you lose a whole chunk of work on something.

Yeah I guess it was lucky that it happend around Halloween-ish time when I'm super busy with prop projects anyway hehe

On Sunday, November 4th apam muttered...
    As for the syncterm issues, I always build syncterm from the latest daily source and it now works with Magicka (LibSSH which is OpenSSL based I think). Though it never used to with the 1.0 version. I just tried the latest version on Xibalba, and it didn't work must be some weird bug in cryptlib or node.js ssh. Don't know if that helps at all, you've probably already made all those observations :) Oh the other thing LibSSH works with Xibalba too (ie MagiTerm works)

I ended up sending Deuce a mail, then right after that I had a revolution: What
    if it just does't agree with some of the algorithms. So, I enabled everything SSH2 supports (vs the default set) and viola! It seems for e.g. SyncTERM wants to use older (deprecated, really) KEX, cipher, etc. I'll have to send Deuce a updated mail on that. For now, ENiG will support them as well by default but let users override in their config.hjson files.

On Sunday, November 4th apam was heard saying...
    I need to rewrite MagiTerm. It's performance is bad, I only really noticed when I tried it on my Raspberry PI. Also thinking about adding telnet support, but it's hard to get motivated as SyncTerm works so well on most of the platforms I use.

Well I hope you get back to it. I quite like MagiTerm :) At some point, I'd really like to turn VTX into a client side application with a phone book/etc. Codewar65 has done an amazing job with it (and I hope he continues) and IMO it's the best web client... but having a phone book and the like would be great.

• From apam@21:1/125 to NuSkooler on Mon Nov 5 13:06:20 2018
    I ended up sending Deuce a mail, then right after that I had a
    revolution: What
    if it just does't agree with some of the algorithms. So, I enabled everything SSH2 supports (vs the default set) and viola! It seems for
    e.g. SyncTERM wants to use older (deprecated, really) KEX, cipher,
    etc. I'll have to send Deuce a updated mail on that. For now, ENiG
    will support them as well by default but let users override in their config.hjson files.

Ah awesome! Hehe that often happens to me when I post of forums, last
    resort I post on a forum asking for help and figure it out before getting
    any replies. Glad you got it working :)

Well I hope you get back to it. I quite like MagiTerm :) At some
    point, I'd really like to turn VTX into a client side application
    with a phone book/etc. Codewar65 has done an amazing job with it (and
    I hope he continues) and IMO it's the best web client... but having a
    phone book and the like would be great.

Yes VTX is nice, I like the retro feel to it. Personally I prefer
    HtmlTerm (mainly because it doesn't stretch the window and show the whole
    page, but restricts to 80x25) but it's great having choices :)

Andrew

--- MagickaBBS v0.12alpha (Linux/x86_64)
    * Origin: The Fat Sandwich - sandwich.hopto.org:2023 (21:1/125)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to NuSkooler on Tue Nov 6 11:35:38 2018
    Re: RE: ENiGMA 1/2 Mini Update
    By: NuSkooler to apam on Sun Nov 04 2018 07:42 pm

I ended up sending Deuce a mail, then right after that I had a revolution: What
    if it just does't agree with some of the algorithms. So, I enabled everything SSH2 supports (vs the default set) and viola! It seems for e.g. SyncTERM wants to use older (deprecated, really) KEX, cipher, etc. I'll have to send Deuce a updated mail on that.

What version of SyncTERM are you referring to here?

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #24:
    David St. Hubbins: You're a haughty one, saucy Jack.
    Norco, CA WX: 68.1øF, 66.0% humidity, 8 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Digital Man on Tue Nov 6 20:05:04 2018
    On Tuesday, November 6th Digital Man muttered...

v1.1

Turns out there are some other issues with this as well. SyncTERM doesn't seem to respond to global keep-alive (keepalive@openssl.com), so any of such "pings"
    timeout.

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to NuSkooler on Tue Nov 6 19:35:06 2018
    By: NuSkooler to Digital Man on Tue Nov 06 2018 08:05 pm

v1.1

In the original messsage, you stated "SyncTERM wants to use older (deprecated, really) KEX, cipher, etc." - that was true of SyncTERM 1.0 as it related to OpenSSH today, but you're not saying it applies to v1.1 beta as well?

Turns out there are some other issues with this as well. SyncTERM doesn't seem to respond to global keep-alive (keepalive@openssl.com), so any of such "pings"
    timeout.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. SyncTERM doesn't support TLS or SSL.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #21:
    So when you're playing you feel like a preserved moose on stage?
    Norco, CA WX: 61.0øF, 81.0% humidity, 4 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Digital Man on Wed Nov 7 15:46:42 2018
    On Tuesday, November 6th Digital Man was heard saying...
    In the original messsage, you stated "SyncTERM wants to use older (deprecated, really) KEX, cipher, etc." - that was true of SyncTERM 1.0 as it related to OpenSSH today, but you're not saying it applies to v1.1 beta as well?

Yes.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. SyncTERM doesn't support TLS or SSL.

I'm not sure where you got TLS/SSL out of what I said?

Global channel keep-alives are a SSH thing, not TLS/SSL (though TLS has a similar & rarely used mechanism).

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to NuSkooler on Wed Nov 7 15:01:24 2018
    By: NuSkooler to Digital Man on Wed Nov 07 2018 03:46 pm

On Tuesday, November 6th Digital Man was heard saying...

Yes.

I'm not sure where you got TLS/SSL out of what I said?

You referenced "keepalive@openssl.com" in your message text.

Global channel keep-alives are a SSH thing, not TLS/SSL (though TLS has a similar & rarely used mechanism).

Interesting. We use cryptlib's SSH support. I'll look through their docs to see what I can find.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #5:
    Nigel Tufnel: Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved.
    Norco, CA WX: 71.3øF, 61.0% humidity, 7 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to Digital Man on Wed Nov 7 16:51:34 2018
    On Wednesday, November 7th Digital Man was heard saying...
    You referenced "keepalive@openssl.com" in your message text.

Oops you're right, that should read "keepalive@openssh.com".

On Wednesday, November 7th Digital Man muttered...
    Interesting. We use cryptlib's SSH support. I'll look through their docs to see what I can find.

Great, thanks!