• CP437/UTF8/Control Characters...

From Ozz Nixon@21:1/144 to All on Fri Jul 27 10:30:56 2018
    I have ported MOTOR CITY SOFTWARE's BLACK JACK to TCP... however, from a Linux terminal, running in LOCAL MODE (command line instead of socket), I cannot get Heart, Diamond, Club nor Spade to show. In CP437 mode, I see nothing, in UTF8 I
    either get garbage, or if I use "Words instead of character" UTF8 mode, I see ETX, EOT, EOT, ACK in small print.

Is this a Linux console mode thing? Or is there another Escape Sequence I can send to render the character? If I copy-n-paste from a Unicode HTML page showing the card types into vi, I see them render correctly. So, obviously vi is doing someting that my door needs to do... ideas???

* I can render in UTF8, #176 etc. it's the control codes that are being absorbed.

Regards,
    Ozz

--- dBridge & Rhenium
    * Origin: Rhenium - home of ExchangeBBS and ModernPascal [USA] (21:1/144)
  • From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Ozz Nixon on Fri Jul 27 11:02:58 2018
    Re: CP437/UTF8/Control Characters...
    By: Ozz Nixon to All on Fri Jul 27 2018 10:30 am

I have ported MOTOR CITY SOFTWARE's BLACK JACK to TCP... however, from a Linux terminal, running in LOCAL MODE (command line instead of socket), I cannot get Heart, Diamond, Club nor Spade to show. In CP437 mode, I see nothing

Those glyphs are actually created with control characters.

, in UTF8 I
    either get garbage, or if I use "Words instead of character" UTF8 mode, I see ETX, EOT, EOT, ACK in small print.

Is this a Linux console mode thing?

Yes. If you use most ANSI-BBS terminals instead (e.g. SyncTERM), they'll render the glyphs for those control characters fine.

Or is there another Escape Sequence I
    can send to render the character? If I copy-n-paste from a Unicode HTML page showing the card types into vi, I see them render correctly. So, obviously vi is doing someting that my door needs to do... ideas???

No, the door doesn't need to do anything special. You just need to use an ANSI-BBS terminal program to play the game.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #35:
    The irc.synchro.net network has more servers than users.
    Norco, CA WX: 85.9øF, 55.0% humidity, 0 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Ozz Nixon@21:1/144 to Digital Man on Fri Jul 27 16:46:40 2018
    cannot get Heart, Diamond, Club nor Spade to show. In CP437 mode, I

Those glyphs are actually created with control characters.

Correct, I send #3, #4, #5, #6 ... however, Linux Console is an option that I want to support - the terminal suggestion works, yes. However, command line in Linux is a TTY terminal...

No, the door doesn't need to do anything special. You just need to use an ANSI-BBS terminal program to play the game.

Thanks!
    Ozz

--- dBridge & Rhenium
  • From shinobi@21:1/153 to Ozz Nixon on Sun Jul 29 23:26:18 2018
    I have ported MOTOR CITY SOFTWARE's BLACK JACK to TCP... however, from a

Congratulations to Your achievement.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A38 2018/01/01 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: INFOLINKA BBS (21:1/153)
  • From Ozz Nixon@21:1/144 to shinobi on Sun Jul 29 22:05:36 2018
    I have ported MOTOR CITY SOFTWARE's BLACK JACK to TCP... however,

Congratulations to Your achievement.

Thank you! As soon as I get figure out how to implement dropfile support - then
    this "DOOR SERVER" script is ready to be published on Github for those who want it... I have ripped all the registration crap out - and made a simple INI file format for the key - so anyone who wants to take these doors and do something commercial with them can. I am just excited to get these back out into the real world after spending thousands to buy out McSoft in the 90's - this code was just eating space on my servers... ;-)

- I am uploading everything to github.com now ... /3fllc account.

- and putting the doors online @ exchangebbs.com:6400 (telnet)

Ozz

--- dBridge & Rhenium