• SynchroNet point system..

From Bucko@21:4/131 to All on Sat Jul 21 22:48:56 2018
    Ok last question for the time being. Synchronet is installing pretty well, I have it accepting Telnet calls with no issues, the blocky ANSI screens are coming along fine, even the File Bases are coming along.. My next subsystem
    is the Message bases. Can anybody give me a quick step by step of setting up
    my networks in Synchro as points off of my Mystic?? Going to play around with some ideas myself but a experienced person who knows the ins and outs would really be helpful.. Thanks in advance..

Al

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Sat Jul 21 22:22:50 2018
    Re: SynchroNet point system..
    By: Bucko to All on Sat Jul 21 2018 10:48 pm

Ok last question for the time being. Synchronet is installing pretty well, I have it accepting Telnet calls with no issues, the blocky ANSI screens are coming along fine, even the File Bases are coming along.. My next subsystem is the Message bases. Can anybody give me a quick step by step of setting up my networks in Synchro as points off of my Mystic?? Going to play around with some ideas myself but a experienced person who knows the ins and outs would really be helpful.. Thanks in advance..

This is the way I would do it. :)

Add the network address to scfg -> Networks -> Fidonet Echomail and Netmail -> System addresses.

If you wanted to add a network, for example fsxNet in this example.. in scfg go to message areas and add a group. Give it a long name for the "J"ump command listings like "fsxNet Message Areas" and a short name for the prompt like "fsxNet". These long and short names work similarly in the file areas too. I would give the group an internal code prefix too. It's not mandatory but helps to keep your filenames unique. Something like FSX- should be OK. Then select the import areas option, select the backbone.na option and enter the path to FSXNET.NA from the fsxinfo.zip. That will import the 6 fsxNet areas. Now go into the message sub boards and select the first area. From there you can setup the basic settings for the area. You won't need any access, reading, posting or operator requirements for the fsxNet areas. The moderated posting user can also be left blank. You can set the maximum messages to whatever you like, or 0 for no maximum. Set the purge by age also as you like, mine is disabled. You can set the number of message CRCs to keep for dupelicate checking. I keep 500 generaly and I have it disabled in some areas where duplicates are expected like the robots area. Set it how you like.

SBBSecho is the dupe master. You will never see a dupe posted in your areas when dupe checking is enabled so keep that in mind when setting the number of CRCs to keep.

In the toggle options there are many settings. For fsxNet you can set use real names to no. If the default is on for "your" scan every user will have the area on by default for personal mail scans, like wise for "default on for new scan", if you turn it on here all users will have this option on by default. Users can access these settings by hitting "&" from the main menu for message scan config.

In the Network options Append Tag/Origin Line should be set to yes and "fidonet echomail" also set to yes. "Fidonet address" should be set to your fsxNet address. Below that you can add an Echomail Origin Line. You can add a specific origin line to be used in this area here, or leave it blank and the default origin line will be used from Networks -> Fidonet Echomail and netmail.

Under advanced options I would enter a different directory to store the fsxNet data files. I use ../data/subs/fsxnet/.

You will also need a linked node in echocfg. All the options in echocfg need to be set but I'll just talk about linked nodes here. In echocfg -> linked nodes, add a link to your peer. All the options are self explanitory (I think) and if you are using binkit open the binkp settings at the bottom and add those too as you and your link need them to be.

You also need to add the areas to your data/areas.bbs, something like this.

FSX-FSX_GEN FSX_GEN 21:4/100 21:4/106.1 FSX-FSX_MYS FSX_MYS 21:4/100 21:4/106.1 FSX-FSX_CRY FSX_CRY 21:4/100 21:4/106.1 FSX-FSX_BOT FSX_BOT 21:4/100 21:4/106.1 FSX-FSX_BBS FSX_BBS 21:4/100 21:4/106.1 FSX-FSX_DAT FSX_DAT 21:4/100 21:4/106.1

The above is my fsxnet section of areas.bbs with my hub linked along with my point. If your synchronet is going to be a point off another system you will only need to enter your BOSSs address.

There are many more options but those are the necessary ones. You can get help in scfg and echocfg for almost everything by pressing F1.

So, there it is in a nutshell.

I'm sure there is more but I'll leave that for another day.. :)

Ttyl :-),
    Al

... Beat's me!!! I never read the documentation.
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Sat Jul 21 22:40:30 2018
    Re: SynchroNet point system..
    By: Al to Bucko on Sat Jul 21 2018 10:22 pm

This is the way I would do it. :)

I forgot one detail, an important one.

After you have created a new group and configured the setting for the first message area, max messages, toggle options, network options and advanced options go back to the group settings and select "clone options". That will clone the path and other basic options of the first message area into the rest of them. Not so important for FSX's 6 areas but if you ever import a large number of areas it is a time saver.

Another time saver is the template for new subs option in the toggle options. If you set that to true any new areas you create in the group will inherit that areas settings.

Al

... OUT TO LUNCH - If not back at five, OUT TO DINNER!
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Bucko on Sun Jul 22 18:36:00 2018
    On 07-21-18 22:48, Bucko wrote to All <=-

Ok last question for the time being. Synchronet is installing pretty
    well, I have it accepting Telnet calls with no issues, the blocky ANSI screens are coming along fine, even the File Bases are coming along..
    My next subsystem is the Message bases. Can anybody give me a quick
    step by step of setting up my networks in Synchro as points off of my Mystic?? Going to play around with some ideas myself but a experienced person who knows the ins and outs would really be helpful.. Thanks in advance..

Just like any other system. There's nothing special about points. I just treat them like any other system. I don't do step by step, my thought processes are very non linear, once I'm familiar with something. But on the Synchronet side, make sure all outbound netmail is routed to the boss node.

... What you can do to stop obscene phone calls: Don't make them!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
    * Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (21:1/109)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Wed Jul 25 18:37:52 2018
    Thanks for all the info Al. I installed the message bases, and everything
    looks about right from what you have written. I created an AREAS.BBS file
    with the info requested. Everything looks good so far, now when I go to
    create binkit following the docs on the wiki it should just automatically set up when I try to install binkit via the jsexec command I get a binkit.js doesn't exist error.. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for myself.. LOL Anything I might be missing?? Thanks to all who have helped..

• From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Wed Jul 25 16:19:30 2018
    Re: Re: SynchroNet point system..
    By: Bucko to Al on Wed Jul 25 2018 06:37 pm

Thanks for all the info Al. I installed the message bases, and everything looks about right from what you have written. I created an AREAS.BBS file with the info requested. Everything looks good so far, now when I go to create binkit following the docs on the wiki it should just automatically set up when I try to install binkit via the jsexec command I get a binkit.js doesn't exist error.. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for myself.. LOL Anything I might be missing?? Thanks to all who have helped..

Are you installing on windows? On linux I just use cvs and everything works nicely with that but I think on windows there maybe more than one zip file to get everything you need. In this case it sounds like you need the contents of the /sbbs/exec folder. That's were the sbbs executibles go and javascripts too, some in the /sbbs/exec/load folder like binkp.js.

I have never installed on windows so I'm not quite sure of that process. Once you do have all the files you need running "jsexec binkit install" is the simplest way to get binkit setup. It'll add a section to your ctrl/services.ini to load binkit on startup to listen for incoming connections. You might need to edit the port of that entry or disable it if you don't need a listener for your point setup. It'll also add a BINKOUT and BINKPOLL event. The BINKOUT event is run after you receive mail or after a FIDOOUT event to send outgoing mail and the BINKPOLL event is run to poll links that have poll=true in sbbsecho.ini.

Al

... All syllogisms contain three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Wed Jul 25 19:55:06 2018
    On 07/25/18, Al said the following...

Are you installing on windows? On linux I just use cvs and everything works nicely with that but I think on windows there maybe more than one zip file to get everything you need. In this case it sounds like you
    need the contents of the /sbbs/exec folder. That's were the sbbs executibles go and javascripts too, some in the /sbbs/exec/load folder like binkp.js.

I have never installed on windows so I'm not quite sure of that process. Once you do have all the files you need running "jsexec binkit install"
    is the simplest way to get binkit setup. It'll add a section to your ctrl/services.ini to load binkit on startup to listen for incoming connections. You might need to edit the port of that entry or disable it if you don't need a listener for your point setup. It'll also add a BINKOUT and BINKPOLL event. The BINKOUT event is run after you receive mail or after a FIDOOUT event to send outgoing mail and the BINKPOLL
    event is run to poll links that have poll=true in sbbsecho.ini.

Al

Thanks for the info Al, yes I am installing on Windows, I will look for the exec folder. Thanks I'll let you know how I make out...

• From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Wed Jul 25 17:04:50 2018
    By: Bucko to Al on Wed Jul 25 2018 07:55 pm

Thanks for the info Al, yes I am installing on Windows, I will look for the exec folder. Thanks I'll let you know how I make out...

I had a look on ftp://vert.synchro.net in the Synchronet directory. I see three files that look like they may be needed sbbsctrl.zip contains the ctrl directory (config files), sbbsexec.zip contains the exec directory (exe's and java scripts) and sbbstext.zip contain the stock display files.

I'll look at the wiki and see if I can find something there that explains how to proceed.

What version are you running now?

Al

... If love is blind, why is Lingerie so popular?
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Wed Jul 25 20:19:00 2018

I had a look on ftp://vert.synchro.net in the Synchronet directory. I
    see three files that look like they may be needed sbbsctrl.zip contains the ctrl directory (config files), sbbsexec.zip contains the exec directory (exe's and java scripts) and sbbstext.zip contain the stock display files.

Hi Al, I just downloaded sbbsexec.zip and put them into the directory.
    Now when trying to run jsexec binkit install I get a reference error iis not defined..
    Wow, this is getting tougher then I thought.. LOL I'll get through it but
    it's not as simple as I thought it would be...

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Bucko on Wed Jul 25 23:44:08 2018
    By: Bucko to Al on Wed Jul 25 2018 08:19 pm

I had a look on ftp://vert.synchro.net in the Synchronet directory. I see three files that look like they may be needed sbbsctrl.zip contains the ctrl directory (config files), sbbsexec.zip contains the exec directory (exe's and java scripts) and sbbstext.zip contain the stock display files.

Hi Al, I just downloaded sbbsexec.zip and put them into the directory.
    Now when trying to run jsexec binkit install I get a reference error iis not defined..
    Wow, this is getting tougher then I thought.. LOL I'll get through it but it's not as simple as I thought it would be...

Read this: http://wiki.synchro.net/install:dev#run-time_files

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #85:
    The ZMODEM file transfer protocol is limited to files of 4 gigabytes or smaller.
    Norco, CA WX: 73.7øF, 78.0% humidity, 0 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Digital Man on Thu Jul 26 06:58:44 2018
    On 07/25/18, Digital Man said the following...

digital man

Thanks will check it out tonight...

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Digital Man on Sun Jul 29 15:06:38 2018

digital man

Installed these files, I did have to change out a file, the bulletin jsfile because it would error out I put the old one back in and it works fine.. As
    for BinkIt, still getting an error when running jsexec binkit install it
    shows the following

I can't copy and paste so it reads the config files from \ctrl no problem
    then it tries to read the scrip binkit.js and I get
    !javascript c:\sbbs\exec\load\fido.js line2: reference error: require isnot defined

I took some time away from it because I figured I'd clear my head but at
    least now it peforms the first part but not the second.. Any ideas?

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 00:45:00 2018
    By: Bucko to Digital Man on Sun Jul 29 2018 03:06 pm

Installed these files, I did have to change out a file, the bulletin jsfile because it would error out I put the old one back in and it works fine.. As for BinkIt, still getting an error when running jsexec binkit install it shows the following

I can't copy and paste so it reads the config files from \ctrl no problem then it tries to read the scrip binkit.js and I get
    !javascript c:\sbbs\exec\load\fido.js line2: reference error: require isnot defined

The addition of JS require() is one of many changes in Synchronet v3.17.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #14:
    SBBSecho was originally written by Allen Christiansen (King Drafus) in 1994. Norco, CA WX: 74.7øF, 72.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 07:34:06 2018
    On 07/30/18, Digital Man said the following...

So is there any way to fix this up?? Thanks DM,, appreciate all the help..

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 13:49:42 2018
    By: Bucko to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 2018 07:34 am

So is there any way to fix this up?? Thanks DM,, appreciate all the help..

The easiest way is to upgrade to v3.17a:
    http://wiki.synchro.net/install:dev

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #40:
    POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3
    Norco, CA WX: 93.9øF, 35.0% humidity, 9 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Digital Man on Mon Jul 30 17:48:28 2018

So is there any way to fix this up?? Thanks DM,, appreciate all the hel

The easiest way is to upgrade to v3.17a: http://wiki.synchro.net/install:dev

digital man

Cool I will check it out tonight...

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to All on Mon Jul 30 19:06:28 2018
    Ok strike up the band! I have a front end mailer.. Not sure now if this is on the Mystic side or the Synchro side, but I have everything I believe
    configured correctly but I am getting a No Matching address to authenticate cannot authenticate client on the mystic Side when polling it.. Any ideas?

• From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 16:16:08 2018
    By: Bucko to All on Mon Jul 30 2018 07:06 pm

Ok strike up the band! I have a front end mailer.. Not sure now if this is on the Mystic side or the Synchro side, but I have everything I believe configured correctly but I am getting a No Matching address to authenticate cannot authenticate client on the mystic Side when polling it.. Any ideas?

Only ideas..

If that mailer is on the Mystic side give it those AKAs and set it up to connect to the other (synchronet?) side.

Al

... She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something like that.
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 16:18:08 2018
    By: Al to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 2018 04:16 pm

If that mailer is on the Mystic side give it those AKAs and set it up to connect to the other (synchronet?) side.

Wait a minute!

Your mystic mailer is already running well right? In that case give it the synchronet AKAs and paths and set it up to connect to your Mystic mailer. I think!

Al

... This message uses 100% recycled electrons
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 19:36:02 2018
    On 07/30/18, Al said the following...

If that mailer is on the Mystic side give it those AKAs and set it up connect to the other (synchronet?) side.

Wait a minute!

Your mystic mailer is already running well right? In that case give it
    the synchronet AKAs and paths and set it up to connect to your Mystic mailer. I think!

Al

Hmmm I didn't use any AKA's I just put the Synchro Side to 21:4/131.1 Unless that is why??

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 20:06:52 2018
    Making some Headway.. I can now poll from the Mystic to the Synchro and it
    lets me in on that end.. BUT I can't poll from the Synch to the Mystic.. Passwords are right, it has to be a Mystic config issue..

• From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 17:07:04 2018
    By: Bucko to Al on Mon Jul 30 2018 07:36 pm

Hmmm I didn't use any AKA's I just put the Synchro Side to 21:4/131.1 Unless that is why??

Yep, that sounds right and setup the node to connect to the mystic mailer. It'll also need to know about your synchronet paths and what not so it knows what to send and where to put inbounds.

Al

... As easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 20:08:40 2018
    On 07/30/18, Bucko said the following...

Making some Headway.. I can now poll from the Mystic to the Synchro and
    it lets me in on that end.. BUT I can't poll from the Synch to the Mystic.. Passwords are right, it has to be a Mystic config issue..

Plus Mystic is not sending to both my Hub and my Point.. The plot thickens.. LOL Thank you so much for all of teh help Al... It really is much appreciated...

• From Al@21:4/106 to Bucko on Mon Jul 30 17:14:10 2018
    By: Bucko to Al on Mon Jul 30 2018 08:06 pm

Making some Headway.. I can now poll from the Mystic to the Synchro and it lets me in on that end.. BUT I can't poll from the Synch to the Mystic.. Passwords are right, it has to be a Mystic config issue..

Probably an issue in your new mailer. I think your mystic mailer has been working well for a while now?

Al

... I am Homer of Borg! Prepare to be ... Oooooo! Donuts!
    --- SBBSecho 3.05-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 20:14:54 2018
    On 07/30/18, Al said the following...

Yep, that sounds right and setup the node to connect to the mystic
    mailer. It'll also need to know about your synchronet paths and what not so it knows what to send and where to put inbounds.

Ok I'm confused (so what else is new) I am supposed to use AKA's or not? The paths are setup, along with it knowing to call my Mystic board.. Just keep getting a No matching address to authenticate...

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 20:16:20 2018

Probably an issue in your new mailer. I think your mystic mailer has been working well for a while now?

Definitely, it has to be a config issue on the Synch Mailer side, using
    Radius and it seems to work fine for the most part but I will double check
    all of the inputs.. Thanks again...

• From Bucko@21:4/131 to Al on Mon Jul 30 20:20:32 2018
    YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! GOT it!! It now connects, on both ends. It was AKA
    stuff... Now I just have to work the rest of it.. I'll get it.. The hard part is now done! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AL!!! Sorry for yelling..

• From Avon@21:1/101 to Bucko on Tue Jul 31 12:35:04 2018
    On 07/30/18, Bucko pondered and said...

part is now done! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AL!!! Sorry for
    yelling..

Pat on the back to you Al :) Great support :)

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Avon on Mon Jul 30 20:42:08 2018
    On 07/31/18, Avon said the following...

Pat on the back to you Al :) Great support :)

That he did! Now I just have to get the Synchro side putting everything in
    the right spots and it should be a go.. Good weekend just finished. Got my GameSvr running so I can share games on both of my boards, got Radius going
    on Synchro.. Now if I can get fsx on the Synchro then I am taking a break! LOL

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Bucko on Tue Jul 31 19:39:00 2018
    On 07-30-18 19:06, Bucko wrote to All <=-

Ok strike up the band! I have a front end mailer.. Not sure now if this
    is on the Mystic side or the Synchro side, but I have everything I
    believe configured correctly but I am getting a No Matching address to authenticate cannot authenticate client on the mystic Side when polling it.. Any ideas?

Looks like you haven't got the correct addresses configured somewhere. That error means the mailers couldn't negotiate an address in the same network.

... Committee work is like a soft chair...easy to get into but hard to get out === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Bucko on Tue Jul 31 19:42:00 2018
    On 07-30-18 20:14, Bucko wrote to Al <=-

Ok I'm confused (so what else is new) I am supposed to use AKA's or
    not? The paths are setup, along with it knowing to call my Mystic
    board.. Just keep getting a No matching address to authenticate...

Can you post a log extract? That would give the best clue as to what's happening. :)

... Back Up My Hard Drive? I Can't Find The Reverse Switch!
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Bucko on Tue Jul 31 19:43:00 2018
    On 07-30-18 20:20, Bucko wrote to Al <=-

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! GOT it!! It now connects, on both ends. It was AKA stuff... Now I just have to work the rest of it.. I'll get it.. The
    hard part is now done! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AL!!! Sorry for yelling..

Good news. What was it? :)

... I don't trust trees, they just seem a bit shady.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Vk3jed on Tue Jul 31 07:01:44 2018
    On 07/31/18, Vk3jed said the following...

Good news. What was it? :)

Addresses like you said.. :) Got them settled, now it's on to the rest of the unworking things.. I'll get it tonight...

• From Vk3jed@21:1/109 to Bucko on Tue Jul 31 22:05:00 2018
    On 07-31-18 07:01, Bucko wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Addresses like you said.. :) Got them settled, now it's on to the rest
    of the unworking things.. I'll get it tonight...

Cool, good luck. :)

... If you call me insane again, I'll eat your other eye.
    === MultiMail/Win v0.51
    --- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux