• New DOOR App. RetroROMs

From xqtr@21:1/111 to All on Mon Nov 20 22:40:26 2017
    A new feature is added to the Another Droid BBS. Its a new DOOR program
    called, RetroROMs. Its a database for retrogames (NES, Megadrive, NeoGeo
    etc.) with complete list of games for each platform, info about them and also the ability to download ROM files.

For the time being, no ROM files are provided and the DOOR itself is under
    Beta testing, cause i found some glitches when using various telnet client programs. RetroROMs works fine with SyncTerm, but with Netrunner, its not possible to download files and some graphics are not displaying correct. But
    i am working on them... maybe i will "translate" the whole DOOR program to a MPL script... What do you think?

You can try it at the BBS (andr01d.zapto.org:9999). You will find it in the main menu.

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS
    : Telnet : andr01d.zapto.org:9999 [UTC 11:00 - 20:00]
    . Contact : xqtr.xqtr@gmail.com

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A34 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Another Droid BBS (21:1/111)
  • From deepthaw@21:2/136 to xqtr on Mon Nov 20 15:30:40 2017
    On 11/20/17, xqtr said the following...

A new feature is added to the Another Droid BBS. Its a new DOOR program called, RetroROMs. Its a database for retrogames (NES, Megadrive, NeoGeo etc.) with complete list of games for each platform, info about them and also the ability to download ROM files.

For the time being, no ROM files are provided and the DOOR itself is
    under Beta testing, cause i found some glitches when using various
    telnet client programs. RetroROMs works fine with SyncTerm, but with Netrunner, its not possible to download files and some graphics are not displaying correct. But i am working on them... maybe i will "translate" the whole DOOR program to a MPL script... What do you think?

You can try it at the BBS (andr01d.zapto.org:9999). You will find it in the main menu.

Intriguing. I'll log in and check it out later.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/19 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Deep Space '94 * telnet://deepspace94.com * fnord (21:2/136)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to xqtr on Mon Nov 20 18:26:40 2017
    telnet client programs. RetroROMs works fine with SyncTerm, but with Netrunner, its not possible to download files and some graphics are not displaying correct. But i am working on them... maybe i will "translate"

Sounds like a great project!

Can you send me an example of the graphics that doesn't display correctly?

I see ANSI art fail in SyncTerm often but I never have with NetRunner so I am suprised. I'd like to investigate if you have a .ANS you can provide.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/20 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (21:1/108)
  • From Immortal@21:1/185 to xqtr on Mon Nov 20 17:32:00 2017

A new feature is added to the Another Droid BBS. Its a new DOOR program called, RetroROMs. Its a database for retrogames (NES, Megadrive, NeoGeo etc.) with complete list of games for each platform, info about them and also the ability to download ROM files.

Sweet! Nice idea.

For the time being, no ROM files are provided and the DOOR itself is
    under Beta testing, cause i found some glitches when using various
    telnet client programs. RetroROMs works fine with SyncTerm, but with Netrunner, its not possible to download files and some graphics are not displaying correct. But i am working on them... maybe i will "translate" the whole DOOR program to a MPL script... What do you think?

A MPL would be great.

I'll check it out!

Immortal

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/15 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Lightning BBS -- lightningbbs.com:2400 (21:1/185)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to g00r00 on Tue Nov 21 20:17:44 2017
    Can you send me an example of the graphics that doesn't display
    correctly?
    I see ANSI art fail in SyncTerm often but I never have with NetRunner so
    I am suprised. I'd like to investigate if you have a .ANS you can provide.

The problem is not when displaying the .ANS file, but when i save the screen buffer in a variable, display a box and then copy the buffer to the screen.
    It should display the saved screen as it was, but instead it gives sometimes "garbage" and other times a black area. The same code (100%) in syncterm works flawlessly. For the DOOR i use the mlib units from the older open source
    Mystic code.

Do you have any suggestion about the file downloading problem? The same problems appears in Nodespy. In Nodespy i see that it tries to download te
    file from the main Mystic directory, even if i pass the complete
    path/filename of the file. I use SZ for the downloading process.

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to xqtr on Tue Nov 21 18:57:14 2017
    (100%) in syncterm works flawlessly. For the DOOR i use the mlib units from the older open source Mystic code.

You are using buggy alpha code from like 7 years ago for a door? That might be your real problem lol

If you want you can turn on session capture with NetRunner to capture the raw ANSI codes into a text file so we can see what its sending. I'd very suprised if its the ANSI parser because its been in use for nearly 20 years now without changes or reports of issues.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/21 (Windows/64)
  • From Pequito@21:1/126 to g00r00 on Tue Nov 21 17:41:30 2017
    On 11/21/17, g00r00 said the following...

(100%) in syncterm works flawlessly. For the DOOR i use the mlib unit from the older open source Mystic code.

You are using buggy alpha code from like 7 years ago for a door? That might be your real problem lol

If you want you can turn on session capture with NetRunner to capture
    the raw ANSI codes into a text file so we can see what its sending. I'd very suprised if its the ANSI parser because its been in use for nearly
    20 years now without changes or reports of issues.

Lot of folks turned from netrunner to synchterm prob because of ssh and
    rlogin availability. Personally I still like/love NR over synch and hope it gets both added after everything is said and done with mis2 A37 release?

Cheers!
    Pequito

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A35 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: Twinkle BBS # (21:1/126)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to xqtr on Tue Nov 21 20:02:46 2017
    On Monday, November 20th xqtr muttered...

FINALLY hopped on your board and checked things out a bit - very cool! I love your setup, it's very unique. Poked around with RetroROMS a bit... awesome idea! Had to take off early when I was on earlier, but I shall be back soon to play around with it more.

Is this stuff written in MPL?

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.8-alpha (linux; x64; 6.11.3)
    * Origin: Xibalba -+- xibalba.l33t.codes:44510 (21:1/121)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to g00r00 on Wed Nov 22 16:44:22 2017

Its a nice opportunity to release the updated code... :) lol

If you want you can turn on session capture with NetRunner to capture
    the raw ANSI codes into a text file so we can see what its sending. I'd very suprised if its the ANSI parser because its been in use for nearly
    20 years now without changes or reports of issues.

My thought also... also the .ANS file thats being displayed in the beginning appears just fine. The problems start after i use some functions in the code. So, i suppose that its the "buggy code" responsible. I will do some tests and get back.

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS

• From xqtr@21:1/111 to NuSkooler on Wed Nov 22 17:32:30 2017
    FINALLY hopped on your board and checked things out a bit - very cool! I love your setup, it's very unique. Poked around with RetroROMS a bit... awesome idea! Had to take off early when I was on earlier, but I shall
    be back soon to play around with it more.

Thanks... :)

Is this stuff written in MPL?

If you mean RetroROMs, is written in FreePascal... but in the BBS all
    features except the PHP Forum reader (which is also in Freepascal), is
    written in MPL.

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to Pequito on Tue Nov 21 20:27:08 2017
    Lot of folks turned from netrunner to synchterm prob because of ssh and rlogin availability. Personally I still like/love NR over synch and
    hope it gets both added after everything is said and done with mis2 A37 release?

I'd be suprised if not having SSH was really much of a factor but of course I could be wrong. There is a surprising number of people (to me) who use NetRunner... it constantly surprises me.

I can see wanting SSH if the goal was to use shell accounts, but that isn't what NetRunner is for...

To me SSH offers little value in calling a BBS; it just makes things slower and less things compatible with what you are doing. All of our data is stored and passed insecurely in clear text, and even if you secure one BBS, the data is wide open and being circulated elsewhere. On top of that, many people use legacy operating systems like Windows XP that are not secure. SSH just doesn't add much to the equation.

I do plan to add SSH into NetRunner next time I work on it though, since
    Mystic supports it.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/21 (Windows/64)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to xqtr on Wed Nov 22 11:28:18 2017
    Its a nice opportunity to release the updated code... :) lol

Hah well I can't exactly update hacked version of my code from 7 years ago,
    but there is MPL and Python built into Mystic, and other door libraries.

I probably should make a Pascal library for people though, or update the one I made back in like 2000. I think there is still a maintained BBS door library for C but probably not for Pascal.

My thought also... also the .ANS file thats being displayed in the beginning appears just fine. The problems start after i use some
    functions in the code. So, i suppose that its the "buggy code" responsible. I will do some tests and get back.

Well if you need to you can capture what Netrunner receives using Netrunner
    and we can see what is going on. If you turn it on and have it display the issue we can see what Netrunner is receiving.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/22 (Windows/64)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to xqtr on Wed Nov 22 13:19:06 2017
    On Wednesday, November 22nd xqtr muttered...
    If you mean RetroROMs, is written in FreePascal... but in the BBS all features except the PHP Forum reader (which is also in Freepascal), is written in MPL.

Very cool! Love that it's in FPC - I hope when you're ready, it becomes obtainable :D I'd love to have that on Xibalba.

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.8-alpha (linux; x64; 6.11.3)
  • From bcw142@21:1/145.3 to xqtr on Wed Nov 22 10:57:44 2017

Seems to work OK in nodespy which is an offshoot of Netrunner. Not sure what you saw or why, guess I need to setup Netrunner here to check if there are
    any differences. I looked at the huge list, some I have many I don't care
    about ;)

OK, looked at a few more posts and your complaining about screen capture. You need to use the capture features, not try to copy and paste. All older
    terminal programs were that way.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Workpoint (21:1/145.3)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to bcw142 on Tue Nov 28 19:08:50 2017
    there are any differences. I looked at the huge list, some I have many I don't care about ;)

The list of games is not complete and its from TheGamesDB website. With the RetroROMs DOOR App. are included some tools to get all the game info from
    that site (scraping). You can have many other console/retro systems except those in my system (ADBBS). By editing files and folders inside the app, you can make it as you like ;)

OK, looked at a few more posts and your complaining about screen
    capture. You need to use the capture features, not try to copy and
    paste. All older terminal programs were that way.

I did use the capture features... :( With the new code i used, the problem
    is less visible and it seems to appear mainly in Netrunner. I also used the telnet program from the terminal and it worked flawlessly.

There is a small chance that its a fault of my system/setup and in others computers may not appear. Have others verified the problems or am i the only one who saw them? :?

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to xqtr on Tue Nov 28 13:08:40 2017
    I did use the capture features... :( With the new code i used, the problem is less visible and it seems to appear mainly in Netrunner. I
    also used the telnet program from the terminal and it worked flawlessly.

I think I've said this to you a few times, but if you want me to look into it please capture the session with NetRunner when the problem occurs so I can have a file that contains exactly what is sent to NetRunner. Help me help you! :)

Keep in mind terminal isn't ANSI BBS and SyncTerm is a bastardized version of it. NetRunner is strict ANSI-BBS with little to no "tricks"; its not very forgiving.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/27 (Windows/64)
  • From xqtr@21:1/111 to g00r00 on Wed Nov 29 17:48:14 2017
    I think I've said this to you a few times, but if you want me to look
    into it please capture the session with NetRunner when the problem
    occurs so I can have a file that contains exactly what is sent to NetRunner. Help me help you! :)

Yes you did :) I just didn't want to bother you, not until i make sure its
    not something wrong from my end (perhaps my buggy code). I did capture a session, but i don't know how to send it to you. I can't find your email :(
    Is it all right to send it at mysticbbs (at) gmail.com?

.----- --- -- -
    | Another Droid BBS

• From g00r00@21:1/108 to xqtr on Wed Nov 29 10:51:48 2017
    capture a session, but i don't know how to send it to you. I can't find your email :( Is it all right to send it at mysticbbs (at) gmail.com?

Yep that works! Thanks!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/11/27 (Windows/64)
  • From CatX@21:1/197 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 12 20:59:08 2018
    On 11/21/17, g00r00 said the following...

Lot of folks turned from netrunner to synchterm prob because of ssh a rlogin availability. Personally I still like/love NR over synch and hope it gets both added after everything is said and done with mis2 A release?

I'd be suprised if not having SSH was really much of a factor but of course I could be wrong. There is a surprising number of people (to me) who use NetRunner... it constantly surprises me.

I personally use SyncTERM mainly due to two reasons - SSH and the fact
    that using Netrunner is impossible with my keyboard layout.

While I agree that SSH is a bit pointless in the sense that messages are
    sent unsecured to other systems anyway, I'm still not comfortable sending
    my passwords in cleartext, knowing how easy it is to snoop on unsecured connections.

Netrunner's mouse support sounds really cool though, I'd definitely like
    to try that some time if I manage to get the program to work.
    I tried using Netrunner some time ago but it wouldn't let me enter ":",
    among other things ("*" is also a problem).

This made it impossible for me to connect to systems which use
    non-standard ports. I also found the
    keyboard shortcuts to be a bit odd, making SyncTERM somewhat more user friendly.

I must say that I still think that Netrunner looks WAY better than
    SyncTERM though - SyncTERM's bright blue color hurts my eyes..

¿ÚÂÄ ³ CatX, ³ . . . . . . . . . .
    ÃÁ´. ³ SysOp Of ³ . . : . : . : . : . .
    Ù ÀÙ ³ Trigonia ³ . : . : . .

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Trigonia (21:1/197)
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to CatX on Fri Dec 14 04:54:16 2018
    I personally use SyncTERM mainly due to two reasons - SSH and the fact that using Netrunner is impossible with my keyboard layout.

Well since you run Mystic you also have the option to run NodeSpy's terminal which does SSH and RLOGIN.

I have all of the code to add SSH into NetRunner but it does feel like a lot
    of people stopping using it, so I don't know how much effort I should really put into developing it more.

But I can rip the IPV6 and SSH code from NodeSpy no probably and put it into NetRunner. I suppose I should.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (21:1/112)
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to CatX on Fri Dec 14 04:55:56 2018
    Netrunner's mouse support sounds really cool though, I'd definitely like to try that some time if I manage to get the program to work.
    I tried using Netrunner some time ago but it wouldn't let me enter ":", among other things ("*" is also a problem).

Yeah I have to build out keymappings I think for international keyboards.
    The only problem is I don't know the keyboards, and I don't have the
    keyboards and the OS installed so I can test with it.

SDL1 I believe did all of that for you which is why SyncTERM works. SDL 2
    does not to my knowledge. I should look into this more now that SDL2 has matured a bit since I started using it with NetRunner.

• From nristen@21:1/161 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 14 09:00:06 2018
    But I can rip the IPV6 and SSH code from NodeSpy no probably and put it into NetRunner. I suppose I should.

If netrunner supported SSH, I would probably use it exclusively.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: The Search BBS (21:1/161)
  • From Pequito@21:1/126 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 14 09:34:16 2018
    On 12/14/18, g00r00 said the following...

I have all of the code to add SSH into NetRunner but it does feel like a lot of people stopping using it, so I don't know how much effort I
    should really put into developing it more.

I think the lack of use for NR these days stems from the lack of SSH, I would have been still using it if it had been able to use it. Would also start
    using and playing with it again if it was deved and had SSH added.=D

|08+--- |07- |15-ù
    |08: |15pequito |08<|07<|14.|11PH|15EN|11OM|14.|07>|08>
    |08: |02telnet://|10twinklebbs.net
    |08+--- |07- |15-ù

* Origin: Twinkle BBS # (21:1/126)
  • From Satchmo@21:4/144 to All on Fri Dec 14 15:38:18 2018
    On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:34:00 GMT
    Pequito wrote:

I have all of the code to add SSH into NetRunner but it does feel like a lot of people stopping using it, so I don't know how much effort I should really put into developing it more.

I think the lack of use for NR these days stems from the lack of SSH, I would have been still using it if it had been able to use it. Would also start using and playing with it again if it was deved and had SSH added.=D

+1 ;)

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Sonic BBS | sonicbbs.ddns.net (21:4/144)
  • From StackFault@21:1/172 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 14 11:09:14 2018
    I have all of the code to add SSH into NetRunner but it does feel lik lot of people stopping using it, so I don't know how much effort I should really put into developing it more.

I think the lack of use for NR these days stems from the lack of SSH, I would have been still using it if it had been able to use it. Would
    also start using and playing with it again if it was deved and had SSH added.=D

+1

|15 ß Þ |15StackFault |08<|03.|11.|15P|11h|03EN|11o|15M|11.|03.|08>
    |11 Ý ß |11The Bottomless Abyss BBS
    |03 ß Ýß |03ssh|08.|072222 |08/ |03telnet|08.|072023 |08/ |03https
    |08 ÜþÞ |08bbs|07.|08bottomlessabyss|07.|08net

* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS þ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From StackFault@21:1/172 to Satchmo on Fri Dec 14 11:10:04 2018
    +1 ;)

You beat me to it :)
    I should start reading messages backwards lol

|15 ß Þ |15StackFault |08<|03.|11.|15P|11h|03EN|11o|15M|11.|03.|08>
    |11 Ý ß |11The Bottomless Abyss BBS
    |03 ß Ýß |03ssh|08.|072222 |08/ |03telnet|08.|072023 |08/ |03https
    |08 ÜþÞ |08bbs|07.|08bottomlessabyss|07.|08net

* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS þ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From NuSkooler@21:1/121 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 14 10:16:10 2018
    On Friday, December 14th g00r00 muttered...

+1

I love NR, but SSH is becoming very popular -- which I'm very happy about.

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.9-alpha (linux; x64; 10.13.0)
  • From g00r00@21:1/112 to NuSkooler on Sat Dec 15 14:29:36 2018
    But I can rip the IPV6 and SSH code from NodeSpy no probably and put into NetRunner. I suppose I should.

+1

I love NR, but SSH is becoming very popular -- which I'm very happy
    about.

Well if you guys are serious that you'd all use it, then I will go ahead and add in SSH and IPV6 from the NodeSpy code.

It shouldn't be much effort except... I completely broke everything last
    night while working on a opportunistic TLS extension for BINKP. Now I have that BINKP extension done but my socket library is broken lol

I am going away this weekend but maybe next weekend I'll work on getting a
    new NetRunner. I also have an ASCII UI that I want to add to it, so you can pick between the ANSI UI or an Amiga ASCII UI.

• From Havok@21:4/119 to g00r00 on Sun Dec 16 08:02:42 2018
    I have all of the code to add SSH into NetRunner but it does feel like a lot of people stopping using it, so I don't know how much effort I
    should really put into developing it more.

Laughing speak for your self, I use it every day and wouldn't mind at all
    to see things added.

PS thanks for your time.

|11Greg Youngblood|08 aka:|15H|07a|15v|07o|15k

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A40 2018/12/11 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: After Hours|The Villages,FL|afterhours-bbs.com (21:4/119)
  • From nristen@21:1/161 to g00r00 on Sun Dec 16 21:18:36 2018
    Well if you guys are serious that you'd all use it, then I will go ahead and add in SSH and IPV6 from the NodeSpy code.

I am currently an almost full time user of netrunner.

Nristen
    aka karl harris
    keybase.io/nristen

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: The Search BBS (21:1/161)
  • From cr1mson@21:1/154 to nristen on Mon Dec 17 15:02:54 2018
    On 12/16/18, nristen said the following...

I am currently an almost full time user of netrunner.

I agree, I prefer Netrunner over any other telnet client.

-- cr1mson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/32)
    * Origin: Raiders Inc. BBS -- vintagebbsing.com (21:1/154)
  • From KrUpTiOn@21:2/105.1 to Pequito on Thu Dec 20 16:08:28 2018
    Re: Re: New DOOR App. RetroROMs
    By: Pequito to g00r00 on Fri Dec 14 2018 09:34 am

I think the lack of use for NR these days stems from the lack of SSH, I would have been still using it if it had been able to use it. Would also start using and playing with it again if it was deved and had SSH added.=D

Is there any development stil being done with Net Runner?
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.04-Linux
    * Origin: thenewfrontier2.hopto.org:2333 (Akron, OH) (21:2/105.1)