• System status etc

From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Sat Dec 3 22:25:12 2022
    Hello All!

Some of you might have noticed systems was down yesterday from 06:35 til 15:00 or there about.

This was caused by a router power adaptor giving up i.e., only providing 0.5 volts when it should be 19,

After a long conversation with Asus who told me to get warranty support from the seller (Amazon) then calling them and waiting while they try a put me though the business dept (WFH) team which I had to do twice as the first call broke I was put through to some one in India.

Now, I have a serious hearing issue that I cannot hear above 2kh so trying to understand females is some what tricky at the best of times but even worse when
    I cannot make sense with the Indian english accent (also have similar issues with Scotland and northern strong accents, i.e., hardly two words in 15-20.

Amazon cannot replace the power Adapter as they did not see it on the original order (had to point out in comes with the product - more than once) she said (I
    think) that I had to sent it back and they would refund the monies paid and I could order a new one from them - needless to say this will take at least two weeks assuming I was prepared to pay a lot more for a replacement (over 100 more).

So longish story short decided to get one from a UK supplier Currys which turned up to day.

While I was waiting for this new one I worked out that the old router used for telephone cables (copper wire etc) was the same power output so connected that up so was up and running BBS and other s/w by 15:00.

Needless to say I then had to go around every modem and router in the place to check that there were up to date firmware wise and if not do so and finally reboot the lot starting with the Modem.

So there was also a gap of service this afternoon while trying to transfer the settings from the old to the new router - such fun and games as it really did not like that much or allowing me to login to it, even worse.

After 3+ hours finally got the thing to get me in and finish some needed setting that did not get transferred over.

After that as most of the differing system had to be rebooted I also decided to
    check for updates on all of them including the mainframe and that is still downloading as it is way over a 16Gb download plus the time to do the actual update tests before committing the actual update.
    Nope, experience has shown that is always best to test any and all updates in the test environment first JIC.

So that might be up around 04:00 Sunday.

Note all times are GMT.

Anyway for the problem of connecting here and for any of you that are also users of the mainframe systems don't even think of trying to connect until after 14:00 Sunday as I have to reload all user account details into the new versions and I will be getting up late !!.

IF you get a 'Bad user account' message or similar, you know why, just leave
    it a hour or two and retry but should be fully up before 17:00.

Heck it is a reason why there is such a thing as weekends - time to do system maintenance around the world when no one is at work (OK, not many.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.8/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)