• System upgrades

From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Wed Aug 28 15:18:50 2019
    * Carbon copied to Ward Dossche

Hello All!

Well it about that time again when I must seriously consider upgrading the installed distro.

At the moment I am running Mageia X64 v6.1 so will be changing to 7.1.
    The main issues here is that v6 is shortly to be in no security update service options so I am reduced to a no choice function but would have liked to allow the new version to be in the field for a longer period - yep, let the others test it :)

To that end I have installed a fresh copy to a old CentOS partition and have done a quick test by rebooting to it and so far looks like it might be working although there is a ton of stuff I have not installed including system printers.

So the next thing to do is see if I can copy the system over from the working 6.1 partition to a test partition then verify that works and then try a upgrade
    to 7.1 followed by a test for a few functions and services.

Only if all that works, will I consider upgrading the working system - may be.

OK, what this means that over the next few weeks there will be times I am not showing an accessable mailer, email etc wise, as I will have all services off or even not installed - all as a safeguard.

Assuming I am doing this during the day I will at a good finish point reload the system for the evening and night rush so it will always be up at some time during the evening, even earlier if I am hitting problems that require me to have a good think :(

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v6 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.12/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)