• System status

From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Fri May 10 16:41:49 2019
    Hello All!

Hopefully you have all noticed the primary system is up and running.

Power is now back even if many sockets and switches are left dangling in bags along with temporary pendents with a lamp.

Well the system is in my bedroom as only two rooms (bed) have been finished decorating - subject to minor snags. Decorating the other rooms, halls etc are in progress but it will run til the end of May if not later :(
    Wow am I pleased I did not try and do this ourselves - would till be in progress in September !!

At some point when the computer room is finished the kit will be moved back along with the other computers / servers etc having installed the under floor Cat 6 cabling (this is down to me) but must be done prior to new carpeting. Three legs are installed under the floor but with no sockets but I need a fourth one to lounge to support the media system.

All good fun :(

If you haven't yet please reset your systems to restart polling but please leave a gap of 1 hour between polls as some are even polling after a minute or so - no point. Uplinks send files, echos and mail here on a as and when and as a back up I do poll them daily or slightly more often.

It would also be helpful if you poll past the hout based on your node number if
    possible ie., address in 2:nnn/6 - poll at 6 minutes past the hour. All helps to not have large numbers polling at same time even more important if you collect large volume but with a slow download speed.

For node numbers above 28 poll off from 30 minutes past the hour.

Thanks,

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v6 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.11/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)
  • From Martin Foster@2:250/1.1 to Vince Coen on Fri May 10 20:49:55 2019
    Hello Vince!

# 10.05.19 at 16:41:49, Vince Coen wrote to All:

Hopefully you have all noticed the primary system is up and running.

Welcome back! :-)

Regards,
    Martin

--- WinPoint Beta 5 (359.1)
    * Origin: Bitz-Box - Bradford - UK (2:250/1.1)
  • From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to Martin Foster on Sat May 11 17:37:08 2019
    Hello Martin!

Friday May 10 2019 20:49, you wrote to me:

Hello Vince!

# 10.05.19 at 16:41:49, Vince Coen wrote to All:

Hopefully you have all noticed the primary system is up and
    running.

Welcome back! :-)

Thanks,

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v6 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.11/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
  • From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Wed Jun 26 23:52:48 2019
    Hello All!

Some time during Thursday this system will be shut down due to carpet laying in
    all upper floor rooms.

Hopefully when the office has been finished I will set up the desks etc along with the computer systems and if testing completes ok will reboot the system.

This timeframe may be starting from 09:00 to 18:00 or some where in between as I am not as strong as I used to be (moving desks, sets of drawers etc) !!

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v6 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.12/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
  • From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Sun Jun 30 14:58:01 2019
    Hello All!

As you are no doubt aware the migration back to the computer room has been completed.

But, we need a visit from the plumber to fit the new C.H. radiators to the 1st floor
    rooms including the computer room.

Therefore at some point and hopefully this coming week the system will be shutdown and
    removed as it is close to the pipe work and desks moved around to allow access for the
    plumber.

Guestimate for shutdown duration is 4 hours maximum where 1 - 2 hours allowed for
    refitting desks and systems.

Vince

• From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Sat Aug 3 17:32:07 2019
    Hello All!

Yesterday the system shut down when the electician had the power off after 90+ minutes.

At which point (some time after when I noticed) I decided to leave it off as he
    was turning the distribution panels on and off as he played with lighting and power circuits around the house.

Power was restored as soon as he left around 15:30.

Now hopefully that is the end of any abnormal contractor causing power shutdowns for any reason but there again I still have a decorator in from time to time and yes he should be in daily but ....

Now I have my drive way back with the skip finally gone (only 14+ weeks) with my car sitting on the front garden and Jags are not light.

Vince

• From Vince Coen@2:250/1 to All on Mon Sep 23 01:53:14 2019
    Hello All!

As you have have noticed my system has been down for 36+ hours this is due to ????.

My system consists of a 500Gb SSD boot drive as drive 1, that hold various Linux distro boot areas as well as Windows and a mainframe and some other stuff.

These only hold the O/S basics and not the user and applications areas.
    These are mostly held on drive 2 a WD red.

So what happened is around Friday/Saturday (lost track) the system was frozen and when I rebooted selecting the correct system Mageia v7.1 (Yes I did install
    the latest on a fresh partition as the upgrade failed badly) it when to a Windows partition on drive 2. This was broken as it was installed as drive 1.

When I reboot to select the drive I the system did not see it, period no SSD.

So had to install Windows 10 to drive 2 overwriting what was there as a upgrade
    or repair failed. This took over 12 hours as had to get all the updates then move over to the insider program which is 1909 and with loads of updates that required many reboots (what else is new) finely go it full operational - Wait there's more, the installed Mageia v7.1 x64 Linux today along with all the updates then all evening added all of the same/similar xtra packages that was on the old v6 partition and that is amanual task so a lot of hours.

Then transfer over contents of /etc from the SSD v7 install the starting all of
    the extra applications -- puff, puff.

Around 01:00 this morning it is finally up and running although a lot of developement stuff has to be built again along with the mainframe stuff.

I will have to seriously consider running the bbs on the m/f as well as a bach up but I will need to work out how to have it running without taking over a LPAR (CPU - ish) as that would be taking the piss a tad.

In the meanwhile I have mounted all of the partitions of the SSD and run garbage collection and yes well over the top so the failure could well have been link to no freely available clusters so will leave it mounted and run the fstrim tool (garbage collection requestor) and see if it goes clear for all partitons and this I am not holding my breath. That said the SSD is only 2 years old at the most so will not be impressed by Samsung SSDs of it has gone bad.

Wonder if the warranty is for 3 years or more - have to check later after a wee
    sleep.

Well thats the story.

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v7 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.12A/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Thu Sep 24 20:13:48 2020
    Hello All!

You may have noticed that this system has been down for some days - this was caused by a system reboot which then failed to find an existing file in the grup2 boot area.

No still don't know but re-installed MGA v7.1 in a clean SSD so it involved adding a lot of packages from details in the original boot drive.

Most are now installed but I have missed a lot out that hopefully are not needed :)

OVer the next hour or less all outstanding files and echos will have been retrieved from all uplinks and tossed for your next poll.

I may even poll you once these updates are complete.

For the files I may have issues with the anti virus checks that may not be operational - no doubt will see soon enough.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v7.1 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.17/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Louis Northmore@2:250/8 to Vincent Coen on Sat Sep 26 12:16:00 2020

Hello Vincent!

Replying to a msg dated 24 Sep 20 20:13, from you to all.

Good to see you back Vince.
    Started getting messages/files/replies again from your system this morning.

Louis

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5--b20170303
    * Origin: SonicBBS :: www.sonicbbs.co.uk (2:250/8)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to Louis Northmore on Sat Sep 26 14:25:38 2020
    Hello Louis!

Saturday September 26 2020 12:16, you wrote to me:

Hello Vincent!

Replying to a msg dated 24 Sep 20 20:13, from you to all.

Good to see you back Vince.
    Started getting messages/files/replies again from your system this
    morning.

Yep, just noticed after I had to do a reboot around 11:00 as system looked locked up.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v7.1 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.17/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Sun Jan 17 21:28:36 2021
    Hello All!

Sorry for the system not being available for 3 - 4 hours this afternoon.

Have had 2 kernel updates without rebooting but having tapped the server box a big dust could appeared which reminded me it was over due for a vacumm in and out so reqquired a power off.

Having down both I did a series of updates multi platform (yes the windows ones
    took 3 hours as it was upgrading to Win 2H20 followed by updates to that all taking time to download and then install and this dispite having a 70Mb download speed at my end !

Also did updates to Linux and the mainframe environments that was also very over due.

Hopefully that will be it for a month or two.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v7.1 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.21/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Sat Aug 21 23:24:59 2021
    Hello All!

Yes again, but this time I have finally upgraded the distro to Mageia v8 and checked various sub systems that all is working.

BUT if you spot anything not working correctly or missing data, files etc please let me know.

I did wait for five months after this release came out to make sure others did some user testing as is my want :)
    So hopefully it will be all good, OK, so after working with computers for 60 years so I no, not fully believing that !

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.22/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Mon Oct 11 23:14:24 2021
    Hello All!

Well that did not work and I had a problem resetting the routers back and the HUB 3 (Virgin) will not reset so a phone call tomorrow to try and resolve and may well have to get a AC86U that has a WAN socket.

More later ...

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.22/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707