• IMPORTANT MESSAGE - Polling and other procedures

From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to All on Tue Jan 4 20:50:58 2022
    Hello All!

A short one about the Star systems based in North America, Europe, Ocencia (Australia) : all these are now linked to here although one is still setting up
    there systems so if an echo gets to one it will be here within minutes. Like wise if a new file comes in I will pass it on to the others and like wise if they get one, I will get it almost as quickly.

I will be acting as The Star Filegate system with every one else act as a back up - so all looks good - so far :)

IMPORTANT
    ---------

As of a month or three ago I have changed the way the system works in that instead of waiting for downlinks to poll I now poll you crash (providing you are operational 24/7) when ever files, echo's or netmail is waiting for you so there is NO need to poll 2:250/1 every hour etc., but see the next few paragraphs starting with "BUT".

This is because since becoming a Star system for Europe etc, traffic will increase and I would like to reduce any necessary polling here but you can still drop of any urgent traffic as and when needed.

Consider the time if you must poll - not much point if you are out or asleep assuming you have no users on your BBS but even then a few minutes later is hardly critical is it? In any event I will be polling you all assuming there is no issues getting through to you due to kit failures at your end.
    No it is never mine, I wish, but usually after a major system update.

There is current an issue with one node locking up and I think it might be related to the fact he is using a very old copy of binkp so please, please every one keep an eye on the current versions of your bbs, mailer etc software and update and very importantly the mailer. There are times when I have up to 12+ copies of his polling in the system at any one time and I have
    restrictions as to the number of people I allow in at any one time to help keep
    the flow moving. Note that my upload speed is around 21Mb and down it is 210Mb.

BUT

If you system is not contactable after I attempt a poll 30 times your system will be removed from the Crash option and if you do not poll for 21 or so days marked as PAUSE.

This can be changed using the filemgr or areafix management tool sending a:

%RESUME

If how ever you wish me to restart polling you then a message to myself to advise your system is now operational and it would help me if you can advise what was wrong.

IF you are not receiving monthly notify messages regard you system status here in regard to file and echo areas send:

%NOTIFY=ON

To upgrade the format of the sent .tic files you can use :

%TICK=xx where xx = On, Off or Advanced

For areafix you also have %FLOW to get a flow report of available areas.

You can also change your password for areafix or filemgr by using :

%PWD=newpassword

For more information on these facilities send a msg to areafix / filemgr with %HELP

Now the names areafix and filemgr are not the only names my system will accept so here is a list of them :

--
    16. SERVICE MANAGER

1. AreaMgr AreaMgr 11. mbtic FileMgr
    2. FileMgr FileMgr 12. raid FileMgr
    3. UUCP Email
    4. allfix FileMgr
    5. areafix AreaMgr
    6. areamgr AreaMgr
    7. filefix FileMgr
    8. filemgr FileMgr
    9. fmail AreaMgr
    10. gecho AreaMgr
    --

I can add more if it helps and is needed !

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.7.22/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)