• Re: Message Pointers on n

From WKITTY42@46:1/132 to PSI-JACK on Thu Jan 31 19:20:24 2019
    On 09/07/14, Psi-Jack said the following...

One more quirk I can suggest to iron out.

When a user posts a new message, and their message read pointer for that message base is already at the last message before their own new post, it would be very nice if Mystic would automatically adjust the message pointer to mark the user's own new post as read, because, they literally just wrote it, but newscan shows it.

i'm between the options on this... on the one hand, it kinda makes sense but what happens if new messages have been tossed into the message area while the user was writing their message? this is why JAM (not sure about SQUish at the moment) has two read pointers... with only one pointer (lastread), the user could miss messages if it was set to be equal to the post they just made... with two pointers, lastread and highread, then maybe setting highread to their post might be OK but i err on the other side and say not, not really... just because they wrote it doesn't mean that they have read up to that point...

the deal with two pointers is that while reading messages, one might jump up
    to the next post in a thread (mystic doesn't yet support this) and then return to where they were to continue reading... their highread would point to the highest message number they have read but the lastread pointer shows where
    they are in the list of posts... i might read a message and then jump on up to the next reply to that post without reading the other in between... when i'm done, i can return to the post where i jumped from and go on from there... if
    i drop my connection after the jump and before i return back, then yes, the lastread and highread would both point to the same message and i would "loose" those i skipped unless i specifically went back hunting for them...

I don't know, that's just my own thought. I think opinions on others on this might be good to get to see if they feel the same.

when (if?) the JAM (and SQUish) capabilities are fully implemented, things should be clearer and easier to follow...

disclaimer: it has been over a decade since i used and tested SQUish bases... the main software i run was the ones that created JAM bases so i'm much more familiar with them at this point in time but there's still some aspects of
    them that i've forgotten...

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Windows)
    * Origin: (46:1/132)
  • From G00R00@46:1/127 to PSI-JACK on Thu Jan 31 19:20:24 2019
    When a user posts a new message, and their message read pointer for that message base is already at the last message before their own new post, it would be very nice if Mystic would automatically adjust the message pointer to mark the user's own new post as read, because, they literally just wrote it, but newscan shows it.

Sorry, this is intentional and it will not change.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A52 (Windows)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (46:1/127)
  • From G00R00@46:1/127 to WKITTY42 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:24 2019
    jump up to the next post in a thread (mystic doesn't yet support this)

Mystic has supported this since 1997. What doesn't work for you?

when (if?) the JAM (and SQUish) capabilities are fully implemented,
    things should be clearer and easier to follow...

What exactly isn't fully implemented? Just because you want the last read pointers to work differently than they do doesn't mean its not "fully implemented" :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A52 (Windows)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (46:1/127)
  • From WKITTY42@46:1/132 to G00R00 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:24 2019
    On 09/10/14, g00r00 said the following...

jump up to the next post in a thread (mystic doesn't yet support
    this

Mystic has supported this since 1997. What doesn't work for you?

referto and seealso in the headers always show 0 on imported messages... they appear to work fine on locally written messages... may be this is because mutil
    doesn't yet have a message linking function that is run after tossing the mail??

when (if?) the JAM (and SQUish) capabilities are fully implemented, things should be clearer and easier to follow...

What exactly isn't fully implemented? Just because you want the last
    read pointers to work differently than they do doesn't mean its not
    "fully implemented" :)

nonononononoon... i'm not saying that i want them to work differently... there are two read pointers... at least in JAM areas... lastread and highread... highread is the highest message read in an area whereas lastread is the actual message i'm on when leaving a message area... they may both be the same number but not always... it is a basic feature of JAM areas that i've not seen in operation in mystic...

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Windows)
    * Origin: (46:1/132)