• Re: Cheese!

From MERCYFUL FATE@46:2/101 to ACCESS DENIED on Sat Jan 5 10:11:00 2019
    I don't see a way I can disagree with you there. Asus seems to be making some great everything these days. My desktop and 3 monitor setup is all Asus at the moment, and I haven't had one complaint about it yet. I'll probably continue to use and support their products until they fail me.

i just got a new asus monitor, and it's pretty sweet, has multiple hdmi so i can hook up multiple boxes and switch between them very nicely.. love it!
    But hardware upgrade i've made in ages. :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A37 (Linux)
    * Origin: Posted in haciend.bbs.fi - Haciend El Bananas (46:2/101)
  • From MERCYFUL FATE@46:2/101 to NIGHTFOX on Sat Jan 5 10:14:00 2019
    The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several years and never had a problem with it (I wish I had bought one sooner - I had previously used some other routers which were less reliable sometimes
    and didn't support the DD-WRT firmware). When I bought my WRT54GL, I bought 2 of them because I was worried they'd stop making them soon and
    I wanted a spare in case one of them died (which it never did). Not too long ago I sold the spare that I bought - It was still unused and in the shrink wrap, and I got a decent price for it on eBay.

I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan speeds
    and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all over the
    house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here what so ever.

• From MERCYFUL FATE@46:2/101 to HUSTLER on Sat Jan 5 10:17:00 2019
    If I could jump in and ask a quick question. I also have the WR54GL
    and was wondering if upgrading to N band is worth the price? Thanks

for me it's been worth it, the N usually have gigabit i believe for local networking, and the newer models have dual channel 2 and 5 ghz wich is compitable with most devices out there.. I useta have trouble streaming and
    now the wireless streaming is smooth as silk. I would look into it if you
    like streaming content.

• From NIGHTFOX@1:124/5013 to MERCYFUL FATE on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Re: Re: Cheese!
    By: Mercyful Fate to Nightfox on Sun Jan 05 2014 10:14:00

The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several

I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan
    speeds
    and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all over the house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here what so ever.

Interesting to hear. When I decided to upgrade to gigabit from my WRT54GL, I bought a couple of Linksys gigabit routers (including the E3200), to find that their wi-fi was unreliable. Maybe I just happened to get two bad routers, but after going through two Linksys routers with the same result, I decided to look
    into different brands. After reading some reviews, I ended up buying an Asus RT-N66U, and I have been happy with it - It has been performing very well, and its wifi is strong and stable across my apartment. I also have a few computers
    connected via Ethernet cables to get the gigabit transfer speeds.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)
  • From PSI-JACK@46:1/142 to MERCYFUL FATE on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 01/05/14, Mercyful Fate said the following...

The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several
    yea
    and never had a problem with it (I wish I had bought one sooner - I previously used some other routers which were less reliable
    sometimes
    and didn't support the DD-WRT firmware). When I bought my WRT54GL, bought 2 of them because I was worried they'd stop making them soon I wanted a spare in case one of them died (which it never did). Not long ago I sold the spare that I bought - It was still unused and in shrink wrap, and I got a decent price for it on eBay.

I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan
    speeds and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all over the house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here
    what so ever.

I've personally only ever had bad luck with what I named "Linkcrap". It was so bad I used to run a Linux virtual machine just to run my router. Which was powerful, supported HA (High Availability), and active/failover between two constant-running VMs between 4 systems, with live migration between systems so I could do maintenance.

Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with AdvancedTomato firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid, never dies, just plain works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For some reason I can't change the radio channels, but that's a bug working in progress.

[Psi-Jack -//- Decker's Heaven]

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
    * Origin: Decker's Heaven * deckersheaven.com (46:1/142)
  • From MERCYFUL FATE@46:1/140 to PSI-JACK on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    $ Psi-Jack was quoted saying . . ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've personally only ever had bad luck with what I named "Linkcrap". It
    was so bad I used to run a Linux virtual machine just to run my router.
    Which was powerful, supported HA (High Availability), and active/failover between two constant-running VMs between 4 systems, with live migration between systems so I could do maintenance.

Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with AdvancedTomato firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid, never dies, just
    plain works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For some reason I can't
    change the radio channels, but that's a bug working in progress.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya my old stuff was running on a Dlink which wored great the first couple years, but then as i starting adding more and newer devices it would go down every couple hours, finally threw it out and got a linksys gigabit and it's been smooth sailing. I think it's just the luck of a draw at times when it comes to hardware.

|07M|11er|03cy|07ful Fate |08(|15hTc|08)|07

--- Enthral BBS v.634 [2014.8.20] (Linux x86_64)
    * Origin: haunting The chapel >>--> htc.zapto.org <--<< (46:1/140)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to MERCYFUL FATE on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Mercyful,

On 05 Jan 14 10:11, Mercyful Fate wrote to Access Denied:

i just got a new asus monitor, and it's pretty sweet, has multiple
    hdmi so i can hook up multiple boxes and switch between them very
    nicely.. love it! But hardware upgrade i've made in ages. :)

Yeah I hear ya. I've actually always kinda skimped on monitors up until I got the triple setup, and after doing that, I don't think I'll ever be able to skimp on them again. :)

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (46:1/701)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to PSI-JACK on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Psi-Jack,

On 30 Aug 14 22:46, Psi-Jack wrote to Mercyful Fate:

Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with
    AdvancedTomato firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid,
    never dies, just plain works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For
    some reason I can't change the radio channels, but that's a bug
    working in progress.

AC68R here running Merlin's customized stock Asus firmware (Mainly because at the time I flashed it the router was brand new, and DD-WRT and/or Tomato didn't

support it very well). Haven't had any issues yet!

Regards,
    Nick

• From PSI-JACK@46:1/142 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 09/01/14, Access Denied said the following...

AC68R here running Merlin's customized stock Asus firmware (Mainly
    because at the time I flashed it the router was brand new, and DD-WRT and/or Tomato didn't support it very well). Haven't had any issues yet!

Heh, not bad. A friend/co-worker of mine turned me on to ASUS, because I hated Linkcrap, hated Dcrap, hated Belcrap. I used to run my own VMs to do just routing, but it was somewhat a hassle to maintain and keep up-to-date.

The ASUS kinda saves me a bit of time, and allowed me to setup good useful QoS rules easily and monitor and tune them accordingly, with Advanced Tomato anyway. Best QoS WebUI ever.

Hello Psi-Jack,

On 02 Sep 14 00:49, Psi-Jack wrote to Access Denied:

The ASUS kinda saves me a bit of time, and allowed me to setup good
    useful QoS rules easily and monitor and tune them accordingly, with Advanced Tomato anyway. Best QoS WebUI ever.

I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they support my router. The latest version they support is the AC66U. :(

Regards,
    Nick

• From PSI-JACK@46:1/142 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 09/02/14, Access Denied said the following...

I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they support my router. The latest version they support is the AC66U. :(

Bummer. :(

Hello Psi-Jack,

On 02 Sep 14 08:05, Psi-Jack wrote to Access Denied:

I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they
    support my router. The latest version they support is the AC66U.
    :(

Bummer. :(

I believe DD-WRT has some firmware that supports it, but last I checked (it was

months ago) the wifi wasn't working as expected and there was a couple other minor glitches that I didn't care for, and knew worked perfectly well in Merlin's custom stock firmware, so I just went with that.

The only thing the firmware I'm currently using doesn't have that DD-WRT did, was some kind of DNS aliasing or something where you could set specific DNS addresses to certain LAN IPs (I forgot the exact name for it) and the router would forward them appropriately. Then again, I've also read that's not a very common method of doing things either, and while I used it when using DD-WRT, I didn't really have a major need for it.

Regards,
    Nick

• From POINDEXTER FORTRAN@46:1/115 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Re: Re: Cheese!
    By: Access Denied to Psi-Jack on Tue Sep 02 2014 04:12 pm

The only thing the firmware I'm currently using doesn't have that DD-WRT did, was some kind of DNS aliasing or something where you could set specific DNS addresses to certain LAN IPs (I forgot the exact name for
    it)
    and the router would forward them appropriately. Then again, I've also read that's not a very common method of doing things either, and while I used it when using DD-WRT, I didn't really have a major need for it.

Are you talking about port forwarding? A request on the WAN IP on a specific port is forwarded to another (or the same) port on an internal IP?

One feature that's tricky on DD-WRT is WAN loopback. What I want to do is hit my BBS hostname (realitycheckbbs.org) and have it redirected to an internal IP.

DD-WRT does that with a script, and if you hit a port that it's forwarding, will service it internally.
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    * Origin: Sent from my iPhone (46:1/115)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Poindexter,

On 02 Sep 14 14:59, Poindexter Fortran wrote to Access Denied:

Are you talking about port forwarding? A request on the WAN IP on a specific port is forwarded to another (or the same) port on an
    internal IP?

Nope. I know what port forwarding is. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have DD-WRT here anymore to check to give a specific name.

One feature that's tricky on DD-WRT is WAN loopback. What I want to do
    is hit my BBS hostname (realitycheckbbs.org) and have it redirected to
    an internal IP.

DD-WRT does that with a script, and if you hit a port that it's forwarding, will service it internally.

I believe it has something to do with that, except it was called something different. I was able to do it without a script when I ran DD-WRT on my WRT54GL. I was able to have 'www.pharcyde.org' and 'bbs.pharcyde.org' pointed at one internal IP, and just 'pharcyde.org' pointed to another internal IP. Then even when I registered 'darksorrow.us' I was able to do the same things with that one. This was even while both DNSs were hosted elsewhere. I could point them to my WAN IP at the registrar, then let the router point them internally. It was a pretty neat feature, but I don't think it's very supported

elsewhere other than DD-WRT.

AH HAH! I believe it had something to do with the DNSMasq feature, if I remember correctly. There was an enabled option and below it there was an input

box where I could do something like:

"pharcyde.org"/192.168.1.100

or something like that.. I don't remember the specifics, sorry.

Regards,
    Nick