• New build?

From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to ALL on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello All,

So I've been scouring the interwebs, checking reviews, and pricing things out on a possible new gaming rig build.

So far I'm pretty set on the i7-4930k 6 core processor on an Asus Maximus VII Formula socket 1150 Z97 motherboard. That paired with the fact that the motherboard comes with Watch Dogs as well, I figured it was a better deal than spending the same and NOT getting a game with it. :)

I'm diggin' the CFI Boreallight case (Black and orange), but plan to replace the two 120mm and one 140mm fans with some Corsair AF series fans for more airflow. Cooling on the processor I've chosen the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, rather than going with Liquid cooling. I freak out when I spill a cocktail or coffee anywhere near my computer, let along putting coolant right in the vicinity of the internals. That and it seems from various sites that the Hyper 212 EVO will do the same amount of cooling compared to some of the best liquid cooled setups..

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb quad channel RAM seems to be decent, but for $100 less I could go with the G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 32gb ddr3 2133mhz, which seems quite comparable.

If I do go this route, my i5 currently has an Nvidia GTX760 in it, so I may just grab a second one and throw them both into the new rig with SLI, and use the old trusty GTX260 in the i5, as it won't be pushed as much as it has been. :)

Looking at the Corsair RM1000 watt power supply, mainly because it's about 50% off at the moment, and then while staying clear of SSD drives (I can firmly say

I don't need to pay extra for that), I've been looking at the Western Digital Caviar Black 2tb SATA3 hard drive.

Anyone 'in the know' of the latest and greatest and care to share? :)

I'm looking to go with a good setup this time around, but there's a few areas where I can sacrifice to save money where I don't need to spend it, as what I've listed above already prices out higher than I've ever spent on a PC. :)

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (46:1/701)
  • From KIDD WICKED@46:1/125 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 08-25-14, Access Denied said the following...

Hello All,

So I've been scouring the interwebs, checking reviews, and pricing
    things out on a possible new gaming rig build.

So far I'm pretty set on the i7-4930k 6 core processor on an Asus

I got a Tandy 1000 on the cheep for ya...:)

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A36 (Windows)
    * Origin: |10SH |022.0 |08si|02n.e|10l|153|10t|02e.c|08om|02 (46:1/125)
  • From NIGHTFOX@1:124/5013 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    So far I'm pretty set on the i7-4930k 6 core processor on an Asus Maximus VII Formula socket 1150 Z97 motherboard. That paired with the fact that the motherboard comes with Watch Dogs as well, I figured it was a better deal than spending the same and NOT getting a game with it. :)

I'm diggin' the CFI Boreallight case (Black and orange), but plan to
    replace the two 120mm and one 140mm fans with some Corsair AF series fans for more airflow. Cooling on the processor I've chosen the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, rather than going with Liquid cooling. I freak out when I spill a cocktail or coffee anywhere near my computer, let along putting coolant right in the vicinity of the internals. That and it seems from various sites that the Hyper 212 EVO will do the same amount of cooling compared to some of the best liquid cooled setups..

I'm looking to go with a good setup this time around, but there's a few areas where I can sacrifice to save money where I don't need to spend it,
    as what I've listed above already prices out higher than I've ever spent on a PC. :)

The i7-4930k seems to be the top of the i7 range right now. Otherwise I haven't done a whole lot of research on PC components (my current gaming PC, which I built a few years ago, is still serving me fairly well). I definitely think having lots of RAM is a nice touch. I've heard by word-of-mouth that ATI/AMD video cards seem to run a bit cooler than Nvidia, but I haven't tested that myself. I've always tended to like Nvidia cards because they always seemed to have better driver support (so it's easier to get them going in Linux), and they are great cards to boot.

Also, if you can afford to spend a lot on a PC, I wouldn't worry about that - If you put together an all-around great PC, it can last you quite a while before you'll need to replace it.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS: digitaldistortionbbs.com
    * Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to KIDD WICKED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Kidd,

On 26 Aug 14 07:46, Kidd Wicked wrote to Access Denied:

lolwut? :)

Regards,
    Nick

• From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to NIGHTFOX on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Nightfox,

On 26 Aug 14 12:45, Nightfox wrote to Access Denied:

The i7-4930k seems to be the top of the i7 range right now.

It's up there. There's an i7-4960X out there too, but it's over $1000. I decided this after taking a look at some CPU benchmarks over at PassMark Software (cpubenchmark.net). The i7-4960k is 16th overall, and the only one under a grand (at the moment it's listed on newegg for ~$580. You can't really beat that for the price, when the only things above in benchmarked speeds is that i7-4960X I mentioned (about $1050), and all high end v2 Xeons.

I haven't done a whole lot of research on PC components (my current
    gaming PC, which I built a few years ago, is still serving me fairly well). I definitely think having lots of RAM is a nice touch. I've
    heard by word-of-mouth that ATI/AMD video cards seem to run a bit
    cooler than Nvidia, but I haven't tested that myself. I've always
    tended to like Nvidia cards because they always seemed to have better driver support (so it's easier to get them going in Linux), and they
    are great cards to boot.

I had one ATI card my entire life, and it gave me nothing but problems, mainly in Linux. It took forever to get decent drivers for it, and by the time I did the card was already surpassed and outdated, and even fell into Microsoft's "legacy" limbo with discontinued support. I will always have Nvidia from now on. :)

Also, if you can afford to spend a lot on a PC, I wouldn't worry about that - If you put together an all-around great PC, it can last you
    quite a while before you'll need to replace it.

Right. By sacrificing, I meant more in the lines of I can do with a CD/DVD burner. I don't need a Blu-Ray player/burner because I don't deal with them on my PC. I can go with a halfway decent GPU since I already have one I can pair up with it and do an SLI setup. A decent but powerful power supply, and I don't

need to go into the expensive SSD category just yet I don't think. Just a few areas I can save a few bucks yet still have an awesome setup.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,
    Nick

Re: Re: New build?
    By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Tue Aug 26 2014 20:08:46

The i7-4930k seems to be the top of the i7 range right now.

It's up there. There's an i7-4960X out there too, but it's over $1000. I

That's right, I forgot about that. Those Extreme Edition processors seem like they'd be pretty awesome, but they're too expensive for me to want to consider buying one. Also, one thing I think is interesting is that the Extreme Edition
    processors use the previous year's CPU technology (the i7-4960X is an Ivy Bridge processor, whereas the other i7-4xxx processors use Intel's newer Haswell technology).

I had one ATI card my entire life, and it gave me nothing but problems, mainly in Linux. It took forever to get decent drivers for it, and by the time I did the card was already surpassed and outdated, and even fell
    into
    Microsoft's "legacy" limbo with discontinued support. I will always have Nvidia from now on. :)

I know someone who said he had 2 fairly expensive Nvidia cards in a row fail on
    him, and now he only uses ATI. So I suppose sometimes it's the luck of the draw, depending on what you get.

Right. By sacrificing, I meant more in the lines of I can do with a
    CD/DVD
    burner. I don't need a Blu-Ray player/burner because I don't deal with them on my PC.

I think blu-ray burners are cheap enough these days that you might as well get one. I just did a quick check on Newegg, and it looks like the cheapest one they have is about $60. It's an LG - I have an LG blu ray burner myself, and it has been fairly reliable. I rarely use blu-ray discs in my PC, but it's nice to have it there if I want to. Occasionally I'll put in a blu-ray movie to watch on my PC rather than my TV. I think I've only burned a blu-ray disc
    2 or 3 times though.

Nightfox

---
    Hello Nightfox,

On 26 Aug 14 19:41, Nightfox wrote to Access Denied:

That's right, I forgot about that. Those Extreme Edition processors
    seem like they'd be pretty awesome, but they're too expensive for me
    to want to consider buying one. Also, one thing I think is
    interesting is that the Extreme Edition processors use the previous
    year's CPU technology (the i7-4960X is an Ivy Bridge processor,
    whereas the other i7-4xxx processors use Intel's newer Haswell technology).

I didn't know that. They probably max out the current generation processor, then move on to the next, while maybe allowing someone to tinker with the last of the previous generation by overclocking and/or whatever else, and then re-release it? Who knows. Definitely out of my price range, though.

I know someone who said he had 2 fairly expensive Nvidia cards in a
    row fail on him, and now he only uses ATI. So I suppose sometimes
    it's the luck of the draw, depending on what you get.

Damn. Well, here's hoping that doesn't happen to me. I'll stick with Nvidia until they fail me, then I'll have to re-look at ATI again. lol

I think blu-ray burners are cheap enough these days that you might as
    well get one. I just did a quick check on Newegg, and it looks like
    the cheapest one they have is about $60. It's an LG - I have an LG
    blu ray burner myself, and it has been fairly reliable. I rarely use blu-ray discs in my PC, but it's nice to have it there if I want to. Occasionally I'll put in a blu-ray movie to watch on my PC rather than
    my TV. I think I've only burned a blu-ray disc 2 or 3 times though.

True, and I'm only listing off examples of things I don't really need that can save me a buck. But I see your point in the sense of if it's only a $20 difference, it's not going to make or break you.

Regards,
    Nick

By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Tue Aug 26 2014 22:13:46

interesting is that the Extreme Edition processors use the previous
    year's CPU technology (the i7-4960X is an Ivy Bridge processor,
    whereas the other i7-4xxx processors use Intel's newer Haswell
    technology).

I didn't know that. They probably max out the current generation processor, then move on to the next, while maybe allowing someone to tinker with the last of the previous generation by overclocking and/or whatever else, and then re-release it? Who knows. Definitely out of my price range, though.

It seems the i7-4930k (which you mentioned probably buying for your new build) is also an Ivy Bridge processor - Newegg lists it as such: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939
    From what I've heard though, the difference in speed between the Ivy Bridge and
    Haswell is probably not noticeable, as Intel has been focusing more on power efficiency these days.

Nightfox

---
    Hello Nightfox,

On 27 Aug 14 07:58, Nightfox wrote to Access Denied:

It seems the i7-4930k (which you mentioned probably buying for your
    new build) is also an Ivy Bridge processor - Newegg lists it as such: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939
    From what I've heard though, the difference in speed between the Ivy Bridge and Haswell is probably not noticeable, as Intel has been
    focusing more on power efficiency these days.

I didn't really even take that into consideration. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, so to speak. There's only one 4xxx series above that one, and then it's all Xeon processors, according to cpubenchmarks.net. Definitely the most affordable out of the top 20 or so.

Regards,
    Nick

• From G00R00@46:1/127 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    let along putting coolant right in the vicinity of the internals. That
    and it seems from various sites that the Hyper 212 EVO will do the same amount of cooling compared to some of the best liquid cooled setups..

I have a Corsair H90 (I think?) and it replaced one of the well known 'top' after-market coolers at the time (Tuniq Tower 120?) and my personal results were big time in favor of the Corsair water cooler. I suppose those reviews should be accurate though...

I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.8ghz on 2011 hardware and after just over 3 years the cooler is still going strong, and everything zips. The only
    thing I upgraded since then was my graphics card to a 770 GTX (from a 570)
    and I popped in a second 27" monitor.

The cooler is completely silent and looks clean, instead of a big pile of noisy
    shit that barely fit into my case! :) That alone makes it worth the extra $40 to me, if you consider it should last you as long as the processor like mine has. Corsair in general has epic support too from my experience, so you can't go wrong with the power supplies.

As far as cases, I like simple clean and polished lines, nothing flashy. I am fan of Fractal Designs R4. To me its the Porche of cases (as opposed to the Lambo); maybe not the most expensive but it fucking looks awesome and runs well. They're on sale at Newegg right now for $89:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021

The cases are well designed; so its not all aesthetics for me. They have a
    good layout, good wire management, and even sound dampening lining. There is
    a decent overview video in the link. Just personal preference though... any higher end case with good reviews probably has the same features - so find
    one that fits that bill and looks good to you, right?

This 2011 build has kept me from staying in touch with the current stuff, because 3+ years later its still kicking ass. The 770 upgrade is still letting
    me max games out in 1080p on my 2011 hardware. No issues so far.

Also, the Crucial M4 SSD I have... Still going strong too, and I bought it back
    when a SSD boot drive ran you $499. After reading so many reliability problems
    in reviews, I can say my next SSD will probably be a Crucial.

This system runs near 24/7 BTW so this stuff has some serious longevity.

Anyway good luck! :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A52 (Windows)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (46:1/127)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to G00R00 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello g00r00,

On 27 Aug 14 22:23, g00r00 wrote to Access Denied:

I have a Corsair H90 (I think?) and it replaced one of the well known 'top' after-market coolers at the time (Tuniq Tower 120?) and my
    personal results were big time in favor of the Corsair water cooler. I suppose those reviews should be accurate though...

I just have a huge fear of putting anything liquid near my computer parts. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I'd be one of those unlucky bastards that would spring a leak and fry everything in the case.

I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.8ghz on 2011 hardware and after just
    over 3 years the cooler is still going strong, and everything zips.
    The only thing I upgraded since then was my graphics card to a 770 GTX (from a 570) and I popped in a second 27" monitor.

That was another thing I was noticing. Even places like CyberPowerPC want to overclock for you, yet then offer some kind of Intel/AMD overclocking insurance

of some kind. Is that if you overclock at any time? Or only if you do it at home? I would think the company that overclocks it would be responsible if you bought it from them overclocked, no?

The cooler is completely silent and looks clean, instead of a big pile
    of noisy shit that barely fit into my case! :) That alone makes it
    worth the extra $40 to me, if you consider it should last you as long
    as the processor like mine has. Corsair in general has epic support
    too from my experience, so you can't go wrong with the power supplies.

I have always been a fan of Corsair, though I've heard some bad reviews on the Vengeance line of their RAM, only in a couple places though.. so I doubt it's just cases of individual bad experience or something.

As far as cases, I like simple clean and polished lines, nothing
    flashy. I am a fan of Fractal Designs R4. To me its the Porche of
    cases (as opposed to the Lambo); maybe not the most expensive but it fucking looks awesome and runs well. They're on sale at Newegg right
    now for $89:

I'm not a huge fan of flashy either, but if you checked out that case I mentioned, I'm pretty sure that thing's sides open up like wings without any removal of screws. That in itself is awesome. :) That and I dug the gloss black

and orange look. I saw plenty of others that seemed way overboard even compared

to the one I like.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021

The cases are well designed; so its not all aesthetics for me. They
    have a good layout, good wire management, and even sound dampening
    lining. There is a decent overview video in the link. Just personal preference though... any higher end case with good reviews probably
    has the same features - so find one that fits that bill and looks good
    to you, right?

I like the fact that it's one of the few that you don't have to pay extra for sound dampening.

This 2011 build has kept me from staying in touch with the current
    stuff, because 3+ years later its still kicking ass. The 770 upgrade
    is still letting me max games out in 1080p on my 2011 hardware. No
    issues so far.

Right. That's why I was asking around man. I've had this i5 now for a few years

or more. It's still plenty fast, as I've upgraded the GPU to a 760GTX and can still run everything on the highest settings. So I've just started looking around. Mainly because my server PC doesn't support virtualization (939 socket), and I'm getting pretty sick of running VMs on my desktop 24/7..

I may even scratch this idea for another year and just pick up an HP DL380 for damn cheap for the server (you can find refurbs for like $200-$600 depending on

how many hard drives you want, RAM, and processors. That way I won't have to worry about virtualization, and it'll have more power and RAM than I'll ever need.

I think about it more and more, and realize that if I build a new PC, the i5 will end up being the new server.. and with it being able to still (and probably continue for another year or two) keep up with the latest games, I feel it would be a bit of a waste to throw it under the desk and let it run my BBS. LOL!

Also, the Crucial M4 SSD I have... Still going strong too, and I
    bought it back when a SSD boot drive ran you $499. After reading so
    many reliability problems in reviews, I can say my next SSD will
    probably be a Crucial.

How big of a difference from SATA3 is it, speedwise? I mean, I could get a 2tb 7200-10,000 RPM drive for half the price or less of 500GB of SSD space or something like that. Is it really worth it? Or is it better to just get a high end older drive and wait till the SSD prices go way the hell down?

This system runs near 24/7 BTW so this stuff has some serious
    longevity.

~3 years? Shit man. I want 10 years out of a PC running 24/7. That's longevity!

:)

Speaking of which, my BBS machine has to be up over 5 years, if not more? I don't remember when I got it off ebay for like $250. :)

Regards,
    Nick

• From ANDROID8675@46:1/121 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Re: New build?
    By: Access Denied to All on Mon Aug 25 2014 07:49 pm

IMHO, watch dogs is crap.

I'm diggin' the CFI Boreallight case (Black and orange), but plan to --(case, blah blah)-- --(fans, blah blah)--
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb quad channel RAM seems to be decent, but for $100 less I could go with the G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 32gb ddr3 2133mhz, which seems quite comparable.
    If I do go this route, my i5 currently has an Nvidia GTX760 in it, so I may just grab a second one and throw them both into the new rig with SLI, Looking at the Corsair RM1000 watt power supply, mainly because it's
    about

That's a lot of $$$ for a game system, and you didn't even MENTION monitors. I assume you're going with an i7 and 2 shitty video cards so you'll only be driving 1 monitor? ASUS has a 27" 144hz gaming model that I highly recommend, but you may need that second 760 to drive it correctly. the 27" is like $500-$700, but they have a 24", 144hz, 1080p 3d gaming monitor (VG248QE) for like $250, at that price you could get 3 of em for that surround gaming experience.

I hate SLI, I think it's a waste of money, not to mention it's buggy as hell (not as bad as it used to be...), but sell the 760 and get a 8xx series when they come out next month if money is no object.

My system is running 8gigs ram, it's a last gen quad core running XP & Debian7 as VMs, and I can game on it at 1080p@60fps. Unless you're thinking of running a couple virtual machines and an SQL server, you don't need 32gigs ram, but I guess if money isn't an issue, go for it. I'd move those funds to the monitors though.

Sorry if this message is strongly opinionated, the mobo is fine, but an i5 processor with 16gigs ram, a second video card (doesn't have to be sli) and 3 24" monitors are how i'd build a system these days.

-Andy

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    * Origin: Agoranet -- http://pharcyde.org/agoranet/ (46:1/121)
    By: Access Denied to Kidd Wicked on Tue Aug 26 2014 08:07 pm

lolwut? :)

HE SAID, "I GOT A TANDY 1000 ON THE CHEAP FOR YA!!!!!"

I got a couple of those. I'm getting an Apple ][gs and a Commie128D this week. I think I have an extra Atari 800XL that's working, it's got a 256kb ram expansion, runs mad games yo!

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
  • From ANDROID8675@46:1/121 to NIGHTFOX on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    By: Nightfox to Access Denied on Tue Aug 26 2014 07:41 pm

I know someone who said he had 2 fairly expensive Nvidia cards in a row fail on him, and now he only uses ATI. So I suppose sometimes it's the luck of the draw, depending on what you get.

It's all about the brand, my current cards are MSIs as is my mobo, so far great
    performers. A friend of mine has a system with dual ATI cards (Crossfire) and third nvidia card for Physx support. It's a great world we live in!

Right. By sacrificing, I meant more in the lines of I can do with a
    CD/DVD burner. I don't need a Blu-Ray player/burner because I don't
    deal with them on my PC.

If you don't need a blu-ray player/burner then don't even bother with an optical drive. Just don't forget to download the Win8.1 installer for USB sticks on another system for your system build.

I think blu-ray burners are cheap enough these days that you might as
    well
    get one. I just did a quick check on Newegg, and it looks like the cheapest one they have is about $60. It's an LG - I have an LG blu ray burner myself, and it has been fairly reliable. I rarely use blu-ray discs in my PC, but it's nice to have it there if I want to.
    Occasionally
    I'll put in a blu-ray movie to watch on my PC rather than my TV. I think I've only burned a blu-ray disc 2 or 3 times though.

$90 bucks for a burner, I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years ago. Problem with blu-ray is you need high end software to use it, so tack on like $40 for a copy of powerDVD Ultra. Personally, I'd just skip optical altogether.

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Wed Aug 27 2014 08:42 pm

I didn't really even take that into consideration. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, so to speak. There's only one 4xxx series above that one, and then it's all Xeon processors, according to cpubenchmarks.net. Definitely the most affordable out of the top 20 or
    so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

toms hardware recommends the i5-4690K as the best bang for your [gaming] buck, if you plan to overclock (and you should considering you're investing in cooling), and right now the CPU is at the sweet price of $249.

i7 is overkill for just gaming, I guess again if you got the budget for it, why
    not. This page off the same article above shows the tiers that each CPU falls under, they don't recommend upgrading less than 3 tiers higher as you probably won't notice much of a gaming performance increase. (for example 3 tiers higher
    than my Core 2 Quad Q9550 is the high end Core i5/i7, so I'm holding off for a while. Notice that the i5 i recommended earlier is at their top tier of gaming processors at the moment.

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
  • From G00R00@46:1/127 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    That was another thing I was noticing. Even places like CyberPowerPC
    want to overclock for you, yet then offer some kind of Intel/AMD overclocking insurance of some kind. Is that if you overclock at any

I have no idea how those things work but yeah you would think they would support their own overclock. Must just a stupid way to squeeze a few extra dollars out of you.

Some MBs have overclocking profiles now if you haven't seen them, and they will
    do basic overclocking for you with having to know what you're doing. Thats what I am doing right now. I was able to get it higher with my own tweaks though, but the profiles have worked well for me.

How big of a difference from SATA3 is it, speedwise? I mean, I could get
    a 2tb 7200-10,000 RPM drive for half the price or less of 500GB of SSD

For me, updating from mechanical to SSD was a huge difference, and I will
    never not use a SSD drive now. It made using my laptop that doesn't have one pretty painful though!

Think of the hard drive as being the biggest bottleneck in your system, and then imagine what it'd be like if you could DOUBLE the speed of your slowest component... Its an epic difference, IMO. Or at least it was for me.

I think you can find a decent 250gig SSD for around $99-129 these days. I have
    one that size and what I do is put the OS on it and some critical apps or whatever game I am playing all of the time on it, and then install everything else on a 3TB mechanical drive.

This gives me plenty of space for media and less critical stuff on the D drive,
    but if I find I am playing a game constantly maybe I will install that on the
    C drive until I get bored of it, so I get that extra speed.

They're also silent too which is a little bit of a bonus...

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A52 (Windows)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (46:1/127)
  • From ORBITMAN@46:1/138 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 08/27/14, Access Denied said the following...
    I have always been a fan of Corsair, though I've heard some bad reviews
    on the Vengeance line of their RAM, only in a couple places though.. so
    I doubt it's just cases of individual bad experience or something.

I've not heard anything bad about Vengence RAM. I'm using it in my "Mothership" system. Runs fine :) Probably an isolated thing here and there.

--
    Thanks!
    Allen
    Orbit BBS

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
    * Origin: Orbit BBS - Opp, AL USA (46:1/138)
  • From KIDD WICKED@46:1/125 to ANDROID8675 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    On 08-28-14, Android8675 said the following...

I got a couple of those. I'm getting an Apple ][gs and a Commie128D this week. I think I have an extra Atari 800XL that's working, it's got a
    256kb ram expansion, runs mad games yo!

I may have to dig but I think I can come up with my Heathkit H8 that would be great for a gaming system!!!

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A36 (Windows)
    * Origin: |10SH |022.0 |08si|02n.e|10l|153|10t|02e.c|08om|02 (46:1/125)
  • From NIGHTFOX@1:124/5013 to ANDROID8675 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    $90 bucks for a burner, I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years ago. Problem with blu-ray is you need high end software to use it, so tack on like $40 for a copy of powerDVD Ultra. Personally, I'd just skip optical altogether.

Where do you see blu-ray burners for $90? Newegg has them for $60.

I like high-def movies, but blu-ray can store a lot of data too. With 25GB
    for a single-layer disc or 50GB for a double-layer disc, it can be a good backup medium - although for backups, USB flash drives might be easier (but which is cheaper right now might depend on the brand and speeds).

Nightfox

---
    I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years ago.

That seems very cheap for a blu-ray player.. I'd expect to pay at least $50-$100 for a decent blu-ray player (which most still seem to be priced at).

Nightfox

---
    So far I'm pretty set on the i7-4930k 6 core processor on an Asus Maximus

Another one you might consider might be the i7-4790k. It has 4 cores but its clock rate is higher (4.40GHz vs. 3.90GHz for the 4930k), and it uses Intel's newer Haswell technology (vs. Ivy Bridge for the 4930k). The 4790k is less expensive as well. The 4930k might do better in benchmarks (I haven't checked), but the 4790k might be better bang for your buck, particularly if it will be mainly used for gaming.

Nightfox

---
  • From H7@46:2/101 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Maximus VII Formula socket 1150 Z97 motherboard. That paired with the

sounds like a nice setup. i've been thinking of moving away from my iMac
    (2007 2.4ghz c2d / 4gb) since it has become too sluggish to do anything simultanously. other option would be to give up updating and return to snow leopard which was quite fast, but then i couldnt even use the current new softwares :Q

|08.\ |15H7 |08blocktronics|07accession|08trsi|07haciend

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A37 (Linux)
    * Origin: Posted in haciend.bbs.fi - Haciend El Bananas (46:2/101)
  • From POINDEXTER FORTRAN@46:1/115 to KIDD WICKED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Kidd Wicked wrote to Access Denied <=-

I need a system that can handle the advanced graphics demands of DOOM ][.
    The double-barrelled shotgun requires maximum graphica capability.

... TWENTY PERCENT OF DENTISTS RECOMMEND GUM
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
    --- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    * Origin: Sent from my iPhone (46:1/115)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to ANDROID8675 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello Android8675,

On 28 Aug 14 08:30, Android8675 wrote to Access Denied:

IMHO, watch dogs is crap.

Bummer. Either way, a free game is better than not getting a free game, IMHO. :)

They have some other deals going on as well. I think if you get anything higher

than a GTX760 you can get the new Borderlands for free, too.. so I may look at that route as well.

That's a lot of $$$ for a game system, and you didn't even MENTION monitors. I assume you're going with an i7 and 2 shitty video cards so you'll only be driving 1 monitor? ASUS has a 27" 144hz gaming model
    that I highly recommend, but you may need that second 760 to drive it correctly. the 27" is like $500-$700, but they have a 24", 144hz,
    1080p 3d gaming monitor (VG248QE) for like $250, at that price you
    could get 3 of em for that surround gaming experience.

I already have 3 (fairly) matching monitors hooked up to my i5, two VE245's and

a VE248, all Asus 24". So I don't think I'll be needing any new ones at the moment. I'm running all three monitors off the one GTX760 with no problems (you're calling GTX760s "shitty?" Damn..), and all games on max settings.

I hate SLI, I think it's a waste of money, not to mention it's buggy
    as hell (not as bad as it used to be...), but sell the 760 and get a
    8xx series when they come out next month if money is no object.

It's not really whether money is an object or not, but I'd rather not waste $500-$700 on a new video card that's going to be outdated in a few months. Video cards become redundant so fast it's not funny at all.

My system is running 8gigs ram, it's a last gen quad core running XP & Debian7 as VMs, and I can game on it at 1080p@60fps. Unless you're thinking of running a couple virtual machines and an SQL server, you
    don't need 32gigs ram, but I guess if money isn't an issue, go for it.
    I'd move those funds to the monitors though.

Seems most of the newer setups are coming with 16 or 32 gigs of RAM default nowadays. So it wasn't really something I had figured in in detail when pricing

things out. RAM is pretty cheap these days anyways.

Sorry if this message is strongly opinionated, the mobo is fine, but
    an i5 processor with 16gigs ram, a second video card (doesn't have to
    be sli) and 3 24" monitors are how i'd build a system these days.

I already have an i5 with 8gb RAM that has just about everything you mention above, even though I haven't needed a second video card for the 3 monitor setup, as the 760 has so far been powerful enough for anything I've thrown at it.

Regards,
    Nick

Hello Nightfox,

On 29 Aug 14 14:16, Nightfox wrote to Access Denied:

Another one you might consider might be the i7-4790k. It has 4 cores
    but its clock rate is higher (4.40GHz vs. 3.90GHz for the 4930k), and
    it uses Intel's newer Haswell technology (vs. Ivy Bridge for the
    4930k). The 4790k is less expensive as well. The 4930k might do
    better in benchmarks (I haven't checked), but the 4790k might be
    better bang for your buck, particularly if it will be mainly used for gaming.

I actually have been reading up on that one recently as well, among a few others.

Regards,
    Nick

• From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to H7 on Thu Jan 31 19:20:17 2019
    Hello h7,

On 30 Aug 14 10:16, h7 wrote to Access Denied:

sounds like a nice setup. i've been thinking of moving away from my
    iMac (2007 2.4ghz c2d / 4gb) since it has become too sluggish to do anything simultanously. other option would be to give up updating and return to snow leopard which was quite fast, but then i couldnt even
    use the current new softwares :Q

I've still been pretty successful at avoiding the ever living hell out of the Mac craze. :)

Regards,
    Nick

By: Nightfox to Android8675 on Thu Aug 28 2014 12:42 pm

$90 bucks for a burner, I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years

Oh whatever dude, split hares much?

I like high-def movies, but blu-ray can store a lot of data too. With 25GB for a single-layer disc or 50GB for a double-layer disc, it can be a good backup medium - although for backups, USB flash drives might be easier (but which is cheaper right now might depend on the brand and speeds).

I occasionally back up Doctor Who episodes, but 1-2 DVDs usually covers that. Having stuff like Steam, Netflix, Hulu, iTunes means never having to backup your media because you can just download/watch it again online. I outright tossed out a stack of DVD backups a few months ago. Movies and games I'd never play again, or are available online. I mean if you're backing up to blu-ray I'm
    guessing you have a pretty beefy Internet pipe to your house, so why bother with the extra step of backing up movies you can just stream later?

Backing up personal data is all well and good, but there are alternatives to optical. I have 40gigs of cloud storage that I pay $4/year for that keeps my docs synced nicely.

tack on like $40 for a copy of powerDVD Ultra. Personally, I'd just
    skip optical altogether.

Thought still stands, skip optical, waste of time/money, optical is dead. UEFI mobos boot easily from thumb drives.

Sorry, old post, I was gone for a while. :)
    -a.

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    By: Nightfox to Android8675 on Thu Aug 28 2014 12:46 pm

I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years ago.

That seems very cheap for a blu-ray player.. I'd expect to pay at least $50-$100 for a decent blu-ray player (which most still seem to be priced at).

it was just a player that you put in a PC (via SATA Interface), like a CD-ROM drive that ONLY plays Blu-Ray/DVD/CDs, it didn't come with software, but VLC supports blu-ray now (sorta), and I had a copy of PowerDVD 9 which did the trick. Yeah, it was cheap, that's why I got it... 3 years ago. Since I got my Asus Vg248qe, it also plays back all my 3d movies.

--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
    By: Android8675 to Nightfox on Mon Sep 22 2014 08:44:28

$90 bucks for a burner, I got a blu-ray player for $15 like 3 years

Oh whatever dude, split hares much?

Why the attitude? A $30 difference is hardly splitting hairs. $60 isn't that expensive for a blu-ray burner. At $90 I might start to think more about buying it.

I occasionally back up Doctor Who episodes, but 1-2 DVDs usually covers that. Having stuff like Steam, Netflix, Hulu, iTunes means never having
    to
    backup your media because you can just download/watch it again online. I outright tossed out a stack of DVD backups a few months ago. Movies and games I'd never play again, or are available online. I mean if you're backing up to blu-ray I'm guessing you have a pretty beefy Internet pipe to your house, so why bother with the extra step of backing up movies you can just stream later?

There are other things to be backed up besides movies. Sometimes I like to do a backup of the OS installation on one of my PCs, which usually involves making
    a drive image, which can be fairly big. Although admittedly, I might end up backing it up to a USB flash drive.

Also, if there's a movie I might want to watch more than once, I don't think it
    makes sense to stream it every time. For one thing, online streaming can be unraliable (every so often they'll pause or cut out altogether), and sometimes ISPs impose monthly bandwidth caps. Also, blu-ray has the benefit of high-quality video (which online streaming might not offer) as well as extra content such as commentaries, interviews, behind-the-scenes documentaries, etc.
    I know there are probably a lot of people who don't care about the extras, but I find them interesting.

One thing that annoys me about online streaming services is that they tend to change what they offer from time to time. Most of the time, I've found that the various online streaming services don't have a movie I want to watch, or if
    they have it one day, they might remove it the next day. I do subscribe to an online streaming service, but in reality, there isn't much I watch on it, so sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it for me. There was one TV show I was
    watching for a while on it, but suddenly one day they started charging for it per episode (it was no longer included with the monthly subscription). That was fairly annoying..

I also like to have my music on a physical device as well, to avoid all the streaming issues. IMO, straeming music doesn't really work well in a car, unless you like low-quality audio and the stream cutting out all the time due to changes in cellular signal strength..

Backing up personal data is all well and good, but there are alternatives to optical. I have 40gigs of cloud storage that I pay $4/year for that keeps my docs synced nicely.

I'm not sure if I am ready to trust a 3rd party to keep my data safe. Also I am perfectly competent in making backups, so I don't need to pay someone else to do it for me.

Nightfox

---