• Lesson of the day

From ORBITMAN@46:1/138 to ALL on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    Hear ye...hear ye!

Thy lesson of the day: Wasps will sting you and it does hurt.

I was mowing the yard today and going my usual pattern around some azaleas and palms. Unbeknownst to me, there was a wasp nest under one of the palm fronds. I found out rather quickly after one of them popped me over my right shoulder blade. I shut the mower off and headed for the house hoping I wasn't being followed by them.

After getting that fixed up...I went back to find the nest. I found it
    alright and got hit AGAIN! Dammit! This one hit me in the left side right below the ribcage. Back to the house to get fixed up again.

You know what they say...."third time's a charm." Went back and destroyed the next and the little buggers with it. Wish I'd had a flame-thrower. I would've turned those trees/bushes into a big ol' pile of ash.

I shall surely be more observant when mowing around those trees/bushes.

--
    Thanks!
    Allen
    Orbit BBS

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
    * Origin: Orbit BBS - Opp, AL USA (46:1/138)
  • From AVON@46:3/103 to ORBITMAN on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    On 07/28/14, Orbitman pondered and said...

Ouch... not good, glad you got the suckers in the end.

My 'sting' was from the taxman. My accountant completed my tax return to
    inform me of a small amount of tax to pay (under $10). I filed this and last week a letter arrives saying your first tax installement to pay is $7430
    please pay by Aug 20th.

Yipes I thought... upon calling the tax dept. they inform me the assessed amount to pay is some $20,000. I nearly fall off my chair. After rechecking my tax return I discover my account had entered in all of my primary income as secondary income as well.. effectively saying to the tax man I had earnt twice as much as I had actually made.

A call to the taxman to tell them of the mistake has (I think) called off the hounds.

Always double check the docs you pay good $$ for be prepared before you submit them... lesson learnt the hard way.

`I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going' - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Windows)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | telnet://agency.bbs.geek.nz (46:3/103)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to ORBITMAN on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    Hello Orbitman,

On 28 Jul 14 17:54, Orbitman wrote to All:

Hear ye...hear ye!

Damnit! I had to go back in the message base because I missed a bunch somehow -- CapHoods and this one, for starters. :( Must've been in a hurry at some point and just caught up on all messages without reading them. Woops!

I was mowing the yard today and going my usual pattern around some
    azaleas and palms. Unbeknownst to me, there was a wasp nest under one
    of the palm fronds. I found out rather quickly after one of them
    popped me over my right shoulder blade. I shut the mower off and
    headed for the house hoping I wasn't being followed by them.

While screaming like a school girl? I'm just trying to get the correct picture over here. lol

After getting that fixed up...I went back to find the nest. I found
    it alright and got hit AGAIN! Dammit! This one hit me in the left
    side right below the ribcage. Back to the house to get fixed up
    again.

I thought you went to the house to get "fixed up" the first time by grabbing a couple cans of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray! They'll get me once here and there, but never a second time.. cuz they're DEAD! :)

You know what they say...."third time's a charm." Went back and
    destroyed the next and the little buggers with it. Wish I'd had a flame-thrower. I would've turned those trees/bushes into a big ol'
    pile of ash.

Haha. At least you didn't sit inside and cower in the corner in the fetal position after the second one. Way to show them who's boss! :)

I shall surely be more observant when mowing around those
    trees/bushes.

That's a hell of a plan dude! Every wasp/hornet/bee you kill is one less out there (before they lay eggs and hatch 1000 more, of course. lol

Regards,
    Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (46:1/701)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to AVON on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    Hello Avon,

On 29 Jul 14 13:39, Avon wrote to Orbitman:

My 'sting' was from the taxman. My accountant completed my tax return
    to inform me of a small amount of tax to pay (under $10). I filed this
    and last week a letter arrives saying your first tax installement to
    pay is $7430 please pay by Aug 20th.

WTF!?

Yipes I thought... upon calling the tax dept. they inform me the
    assessed amount to pay is some $20,000. I nearly fall off my chair.
    After rechecking my tax return I discover my account had entered in
    all of my primary income as secondary income as well.. effectively
    saying to the tax man I had earnt twice as much as I had actually
    made.

Wow. Good thing you caught it!

A call to the taxman to tell them of the mistake has (I think) called
    off the hounds.

Always double check the docs you pay good $$ for be prepared before
    you submit them... lesson learnt the hard way.

There was a couple years awhile back that the tax company I went through screwed me out of money. I redid those years a couple years back to find out I had the right to about $2500 more. You really gotta keep an eye on that shit or

they'll screw you without you even knowing!

This past year I did them myself (TurboTax), which was much cheaper than paying

an accountant (like $75 compared to about $220). I actually enjoyed doing it as

I was able to understand each and every deduction, what I was doing, how I was doing it, and how much I was getting back for each thing separately. I'm going to go that route from now on. The only way I'll get screwed is if I do it to myself! :)

Regards,
    Nick

• From ORBITMAN@46:1/138 to ACCESS DENIED on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    On 08/04/14, Access Denied said the following...
    Hello Orbitman,

On 28 Jul 14 17:54, Orbitman wrote to All:

Hear ye...hear ye!

Damnit! I had to go back in the message base because I missed a bunch somehow -- CapHoods and this one, for starters. :( Must've been in a
    hurry at some point and just caught up on all messages without reading them. Woops!

I was mowing the yard today and going my usual pattern around some azaleas and palms. Unbeknownst to me, there was a wasp nest under
    one
    of the palm fronds. I found out rather quickly after one of them popped me over my right shoulder blade. I shut the mower off and headed for the house hoping I wasn't being followed by them.

While screaming like a school girl? I'm just trying to get the correct picture over here. lol

Cursing like a sailor is more like it!
    After getting that fixed up...I went back to find the nest. I found it alright and got hit AGAIN! Dammit! This one hit me in the left side right below the ribcage. Back to the house to get fixed up again.

I thought you went to the house to get "fixed up" the first time by grabbing a couple cans of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray! They'll get me
    once here and there, but never a second time.. cuz they're DEAD! :)

I didn't have any wasp spray handy and yeah, I should've went back armed with something.

You know what they say...."third time's a charm." Went back and destroyed the next and the little buggers with it. Wish I'd had a flame-thrower. I would've turned those trees/bushes into a big ol' pile of ash.

Haha. At least you didn't sit inside and cower in the corner in the fetal position after the second one. Way to show them who's boss! :)

Hehehehe....indeed :) Like a Boss.

I shall surely be more observant when mowing around those trees/bushes.

That's a hell of a plan dude! Every wasp/hornet/bee you kill is one less out there (before they lay eggs and hatch 1000 more, of course. lol

Regards,
    Nick

That is the first time in the 13 yrs I've lived here that a nest has been in that bush....at least that I know about.

--
    Thanks!
    Allen
    Orbit BBS

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
    * Origin: Orbit BBS - Opp, AL USA (46:1/138)
  • From ACCESS DENIED@46:1/701 to ORBITMAN on Thu Jan 31 19:20:16 2019
    Hello Orbitman,

On 05 Aug 14 08:30, Orbitman wrote to Access Denied:

I thought you went to the house to get "fixed up" the first time
    by grabbing a couple cans of Raid Wasp and Hornet spray! They'll
    get me once here and there, but never a second time.. cuz they're
    DEAD! :)

I didn't have any wasp spray handy and yeah, I should've went back
    armed with something.

If no wasp and hornet spray is handy, the next option is usually any aerosol can and a lighter. :)

That is the first time in the 13 yrs I've lived here that a nest has
    been in that bush....at least that I know about.

Every year one or two seem to show up in a random place. This year it happened to be in the kids' Jeep (power wheels :)

Regards,
    Nick