• Thought on Discovery

From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to Frank Linhares on Fri May 10 17:09:27 2019
    Re: Thought on Discovery
    By: Frank Linhares to All on Mon Apr 22 2019 11:09 pm

Now that season 2 of discovery is in the books, what are people's
    thoughts
    on it? How does everyone feel about how they played fast and loose with canon?

I think it was an interesting and good season, but a little odd with how it's trying to fit in with canon. Spock recommending to never speak of Discovery again seemed like a quick and cheap way to explain why Spock never mentioned Discovery or his adopted human sister later. And I still feel like the difference in appearance of the Klingons hasn't been fully explained yet.

It seems the special effects budget has been good for this show though. I like
    how the ships look (especially the Enterprise, even if it does look a little different from the original series Enterprise), and all the external shots and battle scenes have looked great.

Eric
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (1:340/7)
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to Kurt Weiske on Fri May 10 17:10:26 2019
    Re: Re: Thought on Discovery
    By: Kurt Weiske to Frank Linhares on Tue Apr 23 2019 09:01 pm

I'd still like to see Pike's 5-year mission and see Spock's character fleshed out.

I seem to remember hearing that Discovery takes place about 10 years before the
    original series. If Pike only had a 5-year mission, I wonder if the Enterprise
    was not used for 5 years or if there was a different captain before Kirk, or if
    Discovery actually only takes place about 5 years before TOS?

ERic
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From Frank Linhares@1:229/101 to Eric Oulashin on Fri May 10 21:41:13 2019
    I think it was an interesting and good season, but a little odd with how it's trying to fit in with canon. Spock recommending to never speak of Discovery again seemed like a quick and cheap way to explain why Spock never mentioned Discovery or his adopted human sister later. And I
    still feel like the difference in appearance of the Klingons hasn't been fully explained yet.

I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never
    speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a whole. Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

They also never explained this difference between the Klingon's on TOS and
    TNG. I'd be more curious about that difference since they are both in the
    same time line.

It seems the special effects budget has been good for this show though.
    I like how the ships look (especially the Enterprise, even if it does
    look a little different from the original series Enterprise), and all
    the external shots and battle scenes have looked great.

True, but keeping the uniforms and the looks of the Enterprise close to what TOS looked like was a great nod IMO.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: !diskShop bbs! bbs.diskshop.ca ! (1:229/101)
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to Frank Linhares on Sat May 11 10:46:07 2019
    By: Frank Linhares to Eric Oulashin on Fri May 10 2019 09:41 pm

I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a whole. Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

Maybe that's right, I don't remember for sure now.

They also never explained this difference between the Klingon's on TOS
    and
    TNG. I'd be more curious about that difference since they are both in the same time line.

Yes actually, they did explain that (at least, to an extent). And the new Klingon look actually started with The Motion Picture, not TNG. It was explained in the TV series 'Enterprise'. They explained it as some genetic manipulations the Klingons were doing to themselves, based on what humans were doing to produce a group of super-humans, which included Khan. There was a 3-part episode in Enterprise where one of Soong's ancestors (also played by Brent Spiner) was continuing the work to create more super-humans, and I think the Klingons got wind of it and tried introducing some of the human super-genes
    into themselves, which is why the Klingons looked more human in TOS. I don't remember offhand how the Klingons went back to their regular look by The Motion
    Picture/TNG, but at least that explains why they looked more human in TOS.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to Frank Linhares on Sat May 11 10:48:03 2019
    By: Frank Linhares to Eric Oulashin on Fri May 10 2019 09:41 pm

I think he was only referring to his half sister with records to never speaking of them again, I don't remember anything about Discovery as a whole. Then again, I have been known to be wrong from time to time, lol.

That's probably right, I don't remember now.

They also never explained this difference between the Klingon's on TOS
    and
    TNG. I'd be more curious about that difference since they are both in the same time line.

Yes actually, they did explain that (at least, to an extent). And the new Klingon look actually started with The Motion Picture, not TNG. It was explained in the TV series 'Enterprise'. They explained it as some genetic manipulations the Klingons were doing to themselves, based on what humans were doing to produce a group of super-humans, which included Khan. There was a 3-part episode in Enterprise where one of Soong's ancestors (also played by Brent Spiner) was continuing the work to create more super-humans, and I think the Klingons got wind of it and tried introducing some of the human super-genes
    into themselves, which is why the Klingons looked more human in TOS. I don't remember offhand how the Klingons went back to their regular look by The Motion
    Picture/TNG, but at least that explains why they looked more human in TOS.

Eric
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to Eric Oulashin on Sat May 11 07:21:00 2019
    Eric Oulashin wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

I seem to remember hearing that Discovery takes place about 10 years before the original series. If Pike only had a 5-year mission, I
    wonder if the Enterprise was not used for 5 years or if there was a different captain before Kirk, or if Discovery actually only takes
    place about 5 years before TOS?

Pike was captain of the Enterprise for 13 years, if memory serves.

... Do you ever see inconsistencies in your world?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to Frank Linhares on Fri Apr 26 19:12:48 2019
    By: Frank Linhares to All on Mon Apr 22 2019 11:09 pm

Now that season 2 of discovery is in the books, what are people's
    thoughts
    on it? How does everyone feel about how they played fast and loose with canon?

I kinda liked how the season ended. The whole Capt. Pike seeing his future, was
    kinda a surprise, and cool at the same time. I love how even though (we?) I never heard any of the storylines on Discovery, when it links stories to the Enterprise, I get a few 'oh yeah!' moments from seeing all of those series!

I am interested in what direction season 3 is gonna go in... (wonder when will they bring Capt. Kirk in??)
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS(frontierbbs.net) - [Ohio] (1:226/17)
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to Kurt Weiske on Fri Apr 26 19:14:43 2019
    By: Kurt Weiske to Frank Linhares on Tue Apr 23 2019 09:01 pm

I didn't want to like it while watching season 1. Season 2 sucked me
    in, with just enough nods to the old show to keep me going. I thought
    the finale was a nice sendoff to the present day and made me look
    forward to next season.

*Grin*

Same for me, I love all things Trek and for me to really watch it, it has to appeal to me. It got me! Can't wait for season 3 too!
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Charles Stephenson@1:226/17 to Frank Linhares on Fri Apr 26 19:16:56 2019
    By: Frank Linhares to Kurt Weiske on Thu Apr 25 2019 12:04 pm

I really thought that control was a Borg origin story, but then again, Picard would have kicked himself all this time knowing that the Borg
    could
    be stopped with a simple magnet.

Haha!

Yeah, I had the same thought about control. Maybe we'll get more from that 'history'. I'd guess Borg would have prolly had a link to the Federation at some point in time. They have so many life-forms FROM the Federation assemalated.
    Regards,
    KrUpTiOn
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
  • From Al Kaiser@1:142/926 to Charles Stephenson on Fri May 24 07:34:10 2019
    Charles Stephenson wrote to Frank Linhares Subject: Thought on Discovery

I'm on season three of Next Generation from Netflix.

There are two episodes that have lines or actions that show in later years and shows either by design or happenstance.

First of all where the Frengi shutttle get stranded in the Delta Quardrant which gets used as a plot line in a future Voyager episode.

And in the one where Guinan tells Westley, "A bald man was kind to me once", which plays out in Times Arror where Date looses his head.

I'll have to find season six at a library because Netflix does not have it in their library.

Al Kaiser n1api@cox.net <=-

Byebye for now.

Al Kaiser - Meriden, CT, 24-May-2019 at 7:34.
    Fido : 1:142/926 - Internet : n1api@cox.net

.!. Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be
    .!. called double V?
    --- Terminate 5.00/Pro
    * Origin: Terminate = Pointmailer+Tosser+Reader+Packer+QWK! (1:142/926)
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to Al Kaiser on Tue Jul 16 12:43:31 2019
    By: Al Kaiser to Charles Stephenson on Fri May 24 2019 07:34 am

I'll have to find season six at a library because Netflix does not have
    it
    in their library.

If you can, you should try to find the HD remastered TNG series on blu-ray. They re-scanned the film in high definition and touched it up, and I think it looks great in high-def.

Some people don't like that it's still a 4:3 image and doesn't take up the entire screen on today's wide-screen TVs, but that's because of how the show was made. They could crop part of the image from the top & bottom (which would
    mean losing some of the image) or add more, but that would mean showing some of
    the equipment, which also wouldn't be good.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Eric Oulashin on Tue Jul 16 16:36:12 2019

On 2019 Jul 16 12:43:30, you wrote to Al Kaiser:

Some people don't like that it's still a 4:3 image and doesn't take up
    the
    entire screen on today's wide-screen TVs,

even HD shows/movies don't do that... the top and bottom of the screen is still a black border on a lot of them... granted, they're wide but not tall enough...

)\/(ark

And to this end they built themselves a stupendous super-computer which was
    so amazingly intelligent that even before its data banks had been connected
    up it had started from "I think therefore I am" and got as far as deducing
    the existence of rice pudding and income tax before anyone managed to turn
    it off.
    ... The best sermons are lived, not preached.
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to mark lewis on Tue Jul 16 17:04:34 2019
    By: mark lewis to Eric Oulashin on Tue Jul 16 2019 04:36 pm

Some people don't like that it's still a 4:3 image and doesn't take
    up the entire screen on today's wide-screen TVs,

even HD shows/movies don't do that... the top and bottom of the screen is still a black border on a lot of them... granted, they're wide but not tall enough...

Not really sure what you're trying to say.. In the case of the HD Star Trek TNG, the black bars are on the left & right sides, not on the top & bottom.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From mark lewis@1:3634/12.73 to Eric Oulashin on Tue Jul 16 22:49:00 2019

On 2019 Jul 16 17:04:34, you wrote to me:

Some people don't like that it's still a 4:3 image and doesn't take
    up the entire screen on today's wide-screen TVs,

even HD shows/movies don't do that... the top and bottom of the
    screen is still a black border on a lot of them... granted, they're
    wide but not tall enough...

Not really sure what you're trying to say.. In the case of the HD
    Star Trek TNG, the black bars are on the left & right sides, not on
    the top & bottom.

i didn't target any specific show or movie... i said exactly what i meant to say... some HD shows/movies do not fill the screen... they have empty bands on the top and bottom... i think it is called letterbox but my understanding is that only applies to some converted entities... not those that are shot and transmitted/projected in HD...

the situation with TNG is different... it is a non-HD show being converted to HD and retaining its original dimensions...

)\/(ark

And to this end they built themselves a stupendous super-computer which was
    so amazingly intelligent that even before its data banks had been connected
    up it had started from "I think therefore I am" and got as far as deducing
    the existence of rice pudding and income tax before anyone managed to turn
    it off.
    ... Cats' Credo: They should get laid before they get spayed
    ---
    * Origin: (1:3634/12.73)
  • From Eric Oulashin@1:340/7 to mark lewis on Wed Jul 17 10:02:52 2019
    By: mark lewis to Eric Oulashin on Tue Jul 16 2019 10:49 pm

i didn't target any specific show or movie... i said exactly what i meant to say... some HD shows/movies do not fill the screen... they have empty bands on the top and bottom... i think it is called letterbox but my understanding is that only applies to some converted entities... not
    those
    that are shot and transmitted/projected in HD...

That's true.. I think the term 'letterboxing' might refer to widescreen movies
    displayed on a 4:3 screen, but I'm not sure if there is an official definition.
    And even on a widescreen TV, some widescreen movies have black bars on the top & bottom because the movie was filmed with a wider aspect ratio than the TV (which I think you were saying as well).

the situation with TNG is different... it is a non-HD show being
    converted
    to HD and retaining its original dimensions...

It seems the source material for TNG allowed for a HD transfer, just not a widescreen conversion. I think the show looks really good on the HD blu-rays. Aside from the fact that it's 4:3, it's almost like seeing the show as if it were made more recently. I'd like to see Deep Space 9 and Voyager converted to
    HD, but apparently they didn't sell enough of the TNG blu-ray set to justify the cost. Also I've heard they'd need to re-do the special effects in DS9 for HD, which would be difficult.

Eric
    --- SBBSecho 3.07-Win32
  • From Frank Linhares@1:229/101 to Eric Oulashin on Wed Jul 17 14:43:26 2019
    That's true.. I think the term 'letterboxing' might refer to widescreen movies displayed on a 4:3 screen, but I'm not sure if there is an
    official definition. And even on a widescreen TV, some widescreen movies have black bars on the top & bottom because the movie was filmed with a wider aspect ratio than the TV (which I think you were saying as well).

Letterboxing is when showing something wider than the screen such as 16:9 on 4:3 or cine 2.35:1 on 16:9.

Pillarboxing is when showing thing that isn't wide enough such as 4:3 on 16:9 or 16:9 on 2.35:1.

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
    |07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness |11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://diskshop.ca/scinet

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)