• Trek

From DaveW@1:135/371 to All on Wed Jul 14 23:56:39 2021
    Hello,
    Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff hangers at the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star Trek. I hate waiting months or even up to a year to know what happened. It just happened tonight with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.
    Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was an OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families living on battleships during World War 2!!! hahahahaha
    It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like me. I saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live in Southwest Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.
    I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this season. I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek to new areas!!. I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel about that though. I like them but i share the same opinion as everyone that it just does not feel like Trek to me.
    I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not posted in a while. :)

LATER TREKKIES!!!!

DaveW
    Port of Call BBS
    POCBBS.DuckDNS.org
    SynchroNet - Port 2323
    Renegade - Port 23
    C64 Image 3.0 - Port 6400
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: Port of Call Synchro - POCBBS.duckdns.org (1:135/371)
  • From Kurt Weiske@1:218/700 to DaveW on Thu Jul 15 07:24:00 2021
    DaveW wrote to All <=-

Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was
    an OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was
    kids and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb
    decision. How often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families living on battleships during World War 2!!!

The idea was that the Enterprise was the flagship and more of an explorer
    than a warship. Very Roddenberry-esque.

They also dropped men wearing skants by season 2, as well. :)

In "Prelude to Axanar", Captain Garth mentions something about "We didn't
    sign up to be warriors. We proved that we could do what we needed to do to defend the Federation".

I think that sentiment describes Roddenberry-era Trek well.

... The Colonies of Man lie trampled at our feet.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)
  • From Aaron Grasswell@1:229/428 to DaveW on Thu Jul 15 13:23:00 2021
    Peterborough Ontario, Canada here eh! :)

Born in '77, I don't have a nostolgic connection with 1st run TOS, although I do enjoy it and I did work for Captain Kirk at C.O.R.E. Digital Pictures years ago in Toronto before switching and becomming a professional Firefighter. :)

I do have fond memories of 1st run TNG growing up, including the famous "To be continued..." Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger. lol

I was a big Reading Rainbow fan prior to TNG, so seeing LeVar Burton was amazing at the time.

Growing up with with TNG (and later X-Files) we would have 'parties' where we would wath the latest episodes and hang out (yes, girls were in our group of friends ). lol
    It's a great memory, wouldn't change a thing about those early 90s days.

P.S. I'm a nostalgia nerd in case there was any doubt... :D

DS9 is another series I loved, but for different reasons than TNG.
    TNG was optomistic, fun, sometimes serious topics but generally just good ol' fun space exploration drama.
    DS9 was the oposite.
    Dark (not just the plots, but also the cinematography), moody, grey areas, mixed morals, and... real, for lack of a better term.

It explored the realistic side of humantiy, despiration, depression, PTSD, etc..
    Brilliant writing (ok, 'move along home' may be an exception... lol).

From a professional Firefighters perspective, Nog's struggles with PTSD were so amazingly personal and realistic.

As fo fav. DS9 episodes... hard to choose.
    Anything with Garak is a given.
    'In the Pale Moonlight' is probably #1.

Does anyone fellow Canuk remember the SkyDome showing of the last episode of TNG in 1994? All Good Things 1/2?
    We were desperate to attend, but we were all just starting to reach the age to get a 365 drivers license, not really downtown Toronto driving experience. lol

Take care
    Aaron/DW
    Dark Systems BBS
    bbs.dsbbs.ca:23

> Hello,
    Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff hangers
    at the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star Trek. I
    hate waiting months or even up to a year to know what happened. It just happened tonight with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.
    Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was an
    OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing
    in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families living on battleships during World War 2!!! hahahahaha
    It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like
    me. I saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live
    in Southwest Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.
    I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this
    season. I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek
    to new areas!!. I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel about that though. I like them but i share the same opinion as everyone
    that it just does not feel like Trek to me.
    I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not
    posted in a while. :)

LATER TREKKIES!!!!

DaveW
    Port of Call BBS
    POCBBS.DuckDNS.org
    SynchroNet - Port 2323
    Renegade - Port 23
    C64 Image 3.0 - Port 6400
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: Port of Call Synchro - POCBBS.duckdns.org (1:135/371)
    --- D'Bridge 4
    * Origin: Dark Systems BBS (1:229/428)
  • From Chris Krascek@2:250/5 to Aaron Grasswell on Mon Jul 19 03:07:17 2021
    I do have fond memories of 1st run TNG growing up, including the famous "To becontinued..." Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger. lol

OMG yes.. and the wait... I grew up watching TOS in syndication 80s..but never appreciated it until TNGs run. Thats when you want all things TREK.
    I was a big Reading Rainbow fan prior to TNG, so seeing LeVar Burton was amazing at the time.

yep yep
    DS9 is another series I loved, but for different reasons than TNG.

It was different. I know at that time a lot of fans were mixed. We were excited for another series.
    Does anyone fellow Canuk remember the SkyDome showing of the last
    episode ofTNG in 1994? All Good Things 1/2?

Oh, I remember hearing about this. Never made it out there. Would have been amazing though. Hey you ever been to Toronto Trek conventions? I ended up going to couple and one out there by Creation.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/12/04 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)
  • From Daniel Traechin@1:249/317 to DaveW on Mon Aug 2 18:37:49 2021
    Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff
    hangers at the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star Trek. I hate waiting months or even up to a year to know what happened.
    It just happened tonight with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.

Cliffhangers suck. This is why I don't watch many shows these days. If you watched Breaking Bad, like I did, they'd always have a hanging chad at the end of each episode. Mini-cliffhangers and three to four subplots left unresolved for a few episodes. Never were episodes ended cleanly. Drove me nuts. I just wanted, one time, to see a clean ending.

Even the finale ended with a cliffhanger. Yeah Walt was dead but, what about Jesse? Years had to pass before they decided to give him a movie to resolve that bit. Anyhoo, that's my mini-rant.

Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was
    an OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families living on battleships during World War 2!!! hahahahaha

Wesley was annoying to me because the guy couldn't act and I hated his overalls. My high school girlfriend thought I resembled him so she had
    posters of him on her bedroom wall. Eyeroll haven.

The family concept, on the enterprise, didn't sound like a bad idea for me at the time. But, now that I'm in my late forties, it does now. It seemed, at least in TNG, the galaxy class was the only type to have families onboard.

It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like me. I saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live
    in Southwest Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.

I'm in California - Sacramento region.

I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this season. I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek
    to new areas!!. I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel about that though. I like them but i share the same opinion as everyone that it just does not feel like Trek to me.

Discovery is a really, really lame show - lamer than Picard, but that's my opinion. Anything conceived today seems to be really really bad. There are moments that are star trek-like but, overall, you get my drift. I am enjoying one of the canon novels though.

I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not posted in a while. :)

Where did you go?

LATER TREKKIES!!!!
    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (1:249/317)