• Echocfg Error?

From Jeff Smith@2:250/1 to Digital Man on Sat Jun 15 09:53:46 2019
    Hello There,

I noticed recently that that I can run Echocfg ok but when Echocfg exits it gives a response of:

-------------------------------------
    sbbs@bbs5:~/exec$ ./echocfg

Synchronet FidoNet Configuration Version 3.06 Copyright 2019 Rob Swindell

echocfg: ../../src/xcb_io.c:239: poll_for_event: Assertion `dpy->xcb->event_owner == XlibOwnsEventQueue && !dpy->xcb->event_waiter' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    If I load Echocfg and immediately exit I get a response of: -------------------------------------

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Jeff

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: Fidoneet: The Ouija Board - Anoka, MN -bbs.ouijabrd.net
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Jeff Smith on Sun Jun 16 00:39:39 2019
    Re: Echocfg Error?
    By: Jeff Smith to Digital Man on Sat Jun 15 2019 09:53 am

Hello There,

I noticed recently that that I can run Echocfg ok but when Echocfg exits it gives a response of:

echocfg: ../../src/xcb_io.c:239: poll_for_event: Assertion `dpy->xcb->event_owner == XlibOwnsEventQueue && !dpy->xcb->event_waiter' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    If I load Echocfg and immediately exit I get a response of: -------------------------------------

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

A backtrace from that core dump might be very helpful: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:gdb

You might also try running echocfg in one of the other '-i' modes (e.g. -is) and see if that avoid the issues.

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #47:
    MUD = Multi-User Dungeon
    Norco, CA WX: 60.9øF, 91.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From Jeff Smith@2:250/1 to Digital Man on Sun Jun 16 19:58:24 2019
    Hello Digital Man,

A backtrace from that core dump might be very helpful: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:gdb
    You might also try running echocfg in one of the other '-i' modes (e.g. -is) and see if that avoid the issues.

Ok... Here's a wierd one. I stopped the sbbs daemon. As suggested I edited the sbbs file in /etc/init.d and uncommented the "ulimit -c unlimited" line. I then added the following lines to the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
    # Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
    kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
    kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core.%e.%p

I then restarted the sbbs daemon. I then loaded ./echocfg which loaded ok. Then exited echocfg and got no errors or faults. I then stopped the sbbs daemon and commented out the "ulimit -c unlimited" line and restarted the sbbs daemon. I reloaded and exited ./echocfg with no errors or faults. I then stopped the daemon again and commented out the "kernel.core_uses_pid = 1" and "kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core.%e.%p" line. Then restarted the sbbs daemon again and loaded ./echocfg once again. Upon exiting I got the following response

sbbs@bbs5:~/exec$ ./echocfg --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Synchronet FidoNet Configuration Version 3.06 Copyright 2019 Rob Swindell

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
    after 173 requests (173 known processed) with 0 events remaining. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did try the various display modes and none seemed to generate and errors.

Jeff

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
    * Origin: Fidoneet: The Ouija Board - Anoka, MN -bbs.ouijabrd.net
  • From Digital Man@1:103/705 to Jeff Smith on Tue Jun 18 14:27:19 2019
    Re: Echocfg Error?
    By: Jeff Smith to Digital Man on Sun Jun 16 2019 07:58 pm

Hello Digital Man,

Ok... Here's a wierd one. I stopped the sbbs daemon. As suggested I edited the sbbs file in /etc/init.d and uncommented the "ulimit -c unlimited"
    line.
    I then added the following lines to the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
    # Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
    kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
    kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core.%e.%p

I then restarted the sbbs daemon. I then loaded ./echocfg which loaded ok. Then exited echocfg and got no errors or faults. I then stopped the sbbs daemon and commented out the "ulimit -c unlimited" line and restarted the sbbs daemon. I reloaded and exited ./echocfg with no errors or faults. I then stopped the daemon again and commented out the "kernel.core_uses_pid = 1" and "kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core.%e.%p" line. Then restarted the sbbs daemon again and loaded ./echocfg once again. Upon exiting I got the following response

sbbs@bbs5:~/exec$ ./echocfg --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Synchronet FidoNet Configuration Version 3.06 Copyright 2019 Rob Swindell

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
    after 173 requests (173 known processed) with 0 events remaining. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did try the various display modes and none seemed to generate and errors.

So changing max core size (ulimit -c) for the sbbs daemon won't have any effect on the max core size for programs that you run from bash (echocfg).

Anyway, if you run echocfg from gdb and get a backtrace from the crash, please share.

digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #9:
    David St. Hubbins: I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.
    Norco, CA WX: 72.8øF, 65.0% humidity, 5 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)