• Synchronet Linux Host Backup

From Ebojager@1:103/705 to All on Fri Oct 13 08:50:47 2023
    I have a BBS being hosted on a Linux server that I have shell access too. Is there a way for me to make a backup myself and download or copy to my PC, or does the host need to do that for me?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from OUTLAND BBS
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From nelgin@1:103/705 to Ebojager on Fri Oct 13 11:30:54 2023
    Re: Synchronet Linux Host Backup
    By: Ebojager to All on Fri Oct 13 2023 08:50:47

I have a BBS being hosted on a Linux server that I have shell access too. Is there a way for me to make a backup myself and download or copy to my PC, or does the host need to do that for me?

Just use something like winscp and grab your sbbs directory. It might be better to archive and compress it first with tar and then download the compressed tarball.

Something like tar jcf sbbs.tar.bz2 /sbbs

Once it's finished you can download sbbs.tar.bz2
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Ebojager@1:103/705 to nelgin on Fri Oct 13 10:58:27 2023
    By: nelgin to Ebojager on Fri Oct 13 2023 11:30 am

Just use something like winscp and grab your sbbs directory. It might be better to archive and compress it first with tar and then download the compressed tarball.

Something like tar jcf sbbs.tar.bz2 /sbbs

Once it's finished you can download sbbs.tar.bz2

Thank you. Not sure if I have FTP access to root though so Im alittle new at downloading from a linux shell. I can see certain file directories via my Windows Desktop so I could move the file there to download it via my FTP connection. Is there a .zip option vs .tar?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from OUTLAND BBS
  • From nelgin@1:103/705 to Ebojager on Fri Oct 13 13:50:54 2023
    By: Ebojager to nelgin on Fri Oct 13 2023 10:58:27

Thank you. Not sure if I have FTP access to root though so Im alittle new at downloading from a linux shell. I can see certain file directories via my Windows Desktop so I could move the file there to download it via my FTP connection. Is there a .zip option vs .tar?

winscp can copy with scp or sftp which works through your ssh connection.
    Not sure why you'd want to use zip on a linux system but yes, you can do something like zip -r sbbs.zip /sbbs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com